Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC On Road Nitro Cars
Reload this Page >

OFFICIAL KYOSHO THREAD: V1 and FW-05 series

Community
Search
Notices
RC On Road Nitro Cars Discuss all aspects of on-road nitro rc cars here

OFFICIAL KYOSHO THREAD: V1 and FW-05 series

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:09 PM
jayrguidaben

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL KYOSHO THREAD: V1 and FW-05 series

can i put gxr 18 on a fw 05t plus? is it direct bolt on?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 AM
72xmulch

hey guys...
whats the general consensus on the DBX? i checked one out at the lhs and it looked pretty decent considering the price. i cant find much about it online and cant tell if there are any hopup parts anywhere or not... i would like to put CF or aluminum shock towers , the stock ones felt a little too bendy. I have no experience with kyosho and don't know their track record. good engine? tech support?
Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM
charlieboy

ORIGINAL: 72xmulch

hey guys...
whats the general consensus on the DBX?
What is the DBX!?!
Old 04-26-2008, 05:25 PM
ferrarimk13

isnt that the stadium truck and buggy, 10th scale? they look like decent bashers, but thats it. No point in modding them, honestly.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
TRINI-LUCIAN

Location: St.AugustineTrinidad and Tobago, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

bump
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
BovineD

Good to see this thread is still going. So I am finally going to get my FW-05T plus up and running and am looking for some break in advice.

Here is what I am planning on but I would welcome any tips.

1.) put some drops of after run oil down the engine cylinder
2.) pull starter card several times to coat engine
3.) start car on block and run one full tank on just idle till empty and cool down to room temp
4.) start car on block and adjust idle screw during 2nd tank then cool down to room temp
5.) start car on block and fine tune idle screw during 3rd tank cool down to room temp
6.) start car and adjust needle valve by screwing clockwise for top speed in 1st gear until RPMs drop/exhaust becomes clear back needle out counter-clockwise 1/8th for optimal setting
7.) now adjust idle screw for max acceleration. Turn clockwise if heavy smoke from exhaust/slow idle conterclockwise if no exhaust or high RPMs
8.) Adjust gear shift timing.

Is that about right? how many tanks does it take for steps 3~7?

Thanks for any hints.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 AM
jayrguidaben

is that the heat cycle? i would suggest just follow the break in procedure on the manual of the fw. just my suggestion.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 PM
joizeex

ORIGINAL: jayrguidaben

can i put gxr 18 on a fw 05t plus? is it direct bolt on?
yes, it has same mounts and crank thread. i just ordered one because i snapped conrod on my GXR15 from various abuse and wanted to get something with more punch that will bolt right in (i also really like kyosho's pull start system). GXR18 has more low end and same rpm range as GXR15 (according to a kyosho rep).

for break-in i'm going to:
1st tank - start and warm with short low throttle blips. lean out 1/8 to keep the engine warm (around 200F). vary throttle between 0 and 25% while driving around. heat cycle every 3 mins.
2nd tank - more of the same driving around at 25% and lean out by 1/8 by end of the tank. continue to heat cycle every 3 mins.
3rd tank - driving around by going up to 50% throttle and dropping off. heat cycle.
4th tank - 50% throttle, but staying on it longer, lean out HSN by 1/8. heat cycle.
5th tank - 75% throttle and staying on it longer, lean out another 1/8 towards the end of tank. by now it should be 1/2 turn leaner than factory recommendation of 2+1/2 turns out. so it's 2 turns out
6th tank - 100% throttle and start tuning for performance at higher speeds, watching engine temps and checking glow plug for wetness and filament condition. staying at just under peak performance.
7th tank - tuning for LSN acceleration and idle, tuning for peak performance.
i've done this method on my Inferno GT and it runs pretty damn strong and easy.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 PM
jayrguidaben

thanks joizeex. i've been waiting for the reply of one of the rep at kyosho america. can you post video when you have put the engine. i wanna compare it to the gxr15. now i modded my gxr15 and made a big diff.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
joizeex

ORIGINAL: jayrguidaben

thanks joizeex. i've been waiting for the reply of one of the rep at kyosho america. can you post video when you have put the engine. i wanna compare it to the gxr15. now i modded my gxr15 and made a big diff.
sure, i'll take some after break-in vids. my prediction is that it might chirp tires a bit from a stand still launch on 40 shore foams and will give some torque steer tail wag. i remember the GXR15 did that, although it was on stock tires at the time. top speed probably won't change much.

what kind of mods did you perform on the GXR15 and is there a particular tutorial that you followed? i might mess around with it later if i decide to rebuilt it and try it in my TR15.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM
jayrguidaben

i modded the sleeve and the crankshaft and put ths pipe on it. yes, here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5226191/tm.htm
it will give you more top end and a little bottom end.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:13 PM
joizeex

that's a good write up. i'll try that at some point when my engines start to feel bit slower.

i dropped in GXR18 just now, everything is just like GXR15. i ended up port-matching the header, with a needle file, to the exhaust flange on the engine. the latter is also same exact size as the .15 flange.

here's the cool part: instruction manual for the engine has a diagram for an electric starter system just like on the traxxas RTR vehicles. i have no idea when this system came out. for those interested in a starter system the part number is 74004. it includes a gearbox, backplate and an electric motor. there's also a control module that the system plugs into, 74005.
the only drawback is that the starter shaft will not disengage from the crank like the usual kyosho pull-start shaft.

if anyone wants a pic of the manual, let me know.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 AM
jayrguidaben

where did you buy your gxr and how much? and do you know any engine thats gonna fit on fw 05t plus?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 AM
joizeex

i got it from www.amainhobbies.com for $130 and you can get free shipping on it. i think that's the cheapest you can get. i also got buncha upgrades by 3racing from www.rcmart.com which brought my standard T to the level of the Plus version. that site has lots more stuff to offer for kyosho.

i haven't done much research about different engines, except what's been posted in this thread. the Plus has same chassis as regular T, so whichever engine works in one, will fit the other.
seems like OS .12-.18 engines fit with the engine mounts from the FW05R or S, can't remember. i was thinking of getting the .18 cvrx, and it was 20 bux less, but then i would need a new header and possibly pipe, flywheel, clutch and probably clutch bell with pinions. the total cost and trouble of looking for compatible parts steered me away from that option. i just wanted to play again so maybe some day i'll get OS ...
Old 05-23-2008, 11:13 AM
jayrguidaben

yeah your right i was thinking too the .cvrx but i have to buy lots of parts. anyways, thanks for the sites. post a video when your done. thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
superjimis

hi
can anyone recommend me any upgrades for my fw-05t plus?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:18 PM
jayrguidaben

put a ths pipe on it model #ths1010r but its a little bit long you just need to trim the end of the pipe hanger. its gonna give you more top end.

https://secure.handzon.com/itechapp/...arstrucks.html
Old 05-23-2008, 07:28 PM
joizeex

that pipe seems nice and great price for everything included. i was looking around (towerhobbies) for something that had a header compatible with the rectangular exhaust port. that header flows so much better than stock. i honestly have no idea why kyosho designed such complex and angled/restrictive header. i think i'll buy this thing not long from now. i wanna first see stock GXR18 performance. thanks for the post.

did you try it right after you also ported your engine or before that? i'm trying to judge how big of a difference it is with stock pipe/header and this kit, excluding other mods. did the bottom end suffer at all? is the header flange same exact port shape as the engine's exhaust port?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:54 PM
jayrguidaben

i did the mods first and like after half a gallon i installed the pipe. no it did not suffer the bottom end at all. its gonna alllow to breath the engine better than the stock. yes the header flange is the same shape as the excaust port. and it sounds great. i bought the pipe at towers. it says its for hpi but there just the same.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCPX4&P=7

the only mod i did is trim the pipe hanger on the end of the pipe with a dremel. just a little bit.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 AM
superjimis

thanks for your help but can you recommend me a pipe from here
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/defaul...&cname=Muffler

because the previous cant send the pipe to greece[:@][&o]
Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 AM
jayrguidaben

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=14257

thats the only i can see that can fit on a fw 05t. even though its for hpi and fw 05s they have the same exhaust port. dont know about jpl but for $29 ill buy it.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:53 AM
superjimis

will that pipe improve my car's top end?
Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 AM
jayrguidaben

i just said that i dont know more about jpl. it might be. after market exhaust can make your engine breath better rather than the stock. try it and tell us your thoughts. read the review on that one. there's 1 review. just make sure to retune the needles after installing.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:17 PM
joizeex

well i just got back from tooning around with my on-roads. i must say, the GXR18 is so far the easiest kyosho engine that i've had to start brand new. i put a few drops of after-run oil in last night and today it started on the 2nd pull. this thing feels strong and just wants to shoot the car forward. i only managed to get 4.5 tanks in before the damn kyosho steering servo died. kyosho servos keep dying on me. gonna get another S3004. or should i get this hitec, it has more torque http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/18369

i also need to replace the header gasket because i reused the old one and it ripped. does anyone here make their own gaskets? do i just use some thick paper, few layers of aluminum foil??

i didn't get any vids because my camera-woman (gf) is out of town today. plus it wasn't that interesting during break-in and the lot was rather small with too many islands. i rolled over once and almost wrecked into curbs 2x. saved by grippy foam tires.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:31 AM
jayrguidaben

for the header gasket just buy the gasket for the hpi rs4 their just the same. they have the same exhaust port. or you can use Gasket sealer (High Temp)...Same used to seal your engine. you can get it at local autoparts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.