Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think Skype works from mobile phones. If so, it should be possible to have vid. I still live in the 20th Century, and I don't have one. If one of you has Skype, and a cell phone,, the possibilities could be investigated.

Robert, Your wing looks good. !
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Tom.
I don't know about you guys but I have a hard time getting motivated to move ahead when something is not right or bugging me, and the canopy is really bugging me. This morning , sitting on the side porch trying to get motivated to start sewing I had a light bulb go off. Remember how I did the gear legs with the plastic, well, I can do the same thing with the canopy as two parts.
The windscreen and the canopy, being in two parts makes the size and arches much less dramatic. So I have went back to the fuse and recut the kit canopy to fit the framing. I will tape the ends up at the appropriate measured widths, fill with PoP and try to make a new one the same way as I did the gear. I probably could use the vac with it being in two pieces but to be quite honest I think the heat gun will be easier. And I have plenty of plastic to play with either way.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:55 AM
acerc

A little more FYI of why this canopy is bugging me. The one I got from FS is standard which also means a thin plastic. From what I have seen of in-flight videos with a camera pointed rearward the "standard" canopies flex like a wet noodle. I really do not want a wet noodle in flight with the frame and rails on this bird. I think the thick plastic I bought (.040) is much more suited for this purpose.
So! Everything is on hold until I get this canopy sorted out to my liking.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's why I enjoy following your builds Robert.
The sentiment of "it must be right" .

The mark of a Craftsman.

Kevin
Old 03-29-2014, 06:19 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
You know Robert, I'm not in the know on that Skype deal but video would work as well. I'm going to try to get someone to video the maiden of my new race airplane on Sunday. May be a little tough to keep up with a 6 lb 520 sq in airplane sporting a YS 115 though.

Shawn
YIKES! That ought to be FAST!

Skype DOES work on Droid's.

Originally Posted by acerc
Thanks Tom.

I don't know about you guys but I have a hard time getting motivated to move ahead when something is not right

On one had I hate that but on the other hand, after all is said and done it does make for a much better airplane. But the time invested is a real PITA.

I got one of the first Midwest Super Stinkers and started the build and discovered a hearsay in the instruction book. Not one but SEVERAL bold warnings about flutter during full throttle down lines. Being one to fly on both sides of the edge, that bothered me A LOT. So I looked carefully to see why and what I could do about it. It turns out the tail feathers were unbraced sticks and the aileron control arm pads were 1/2 x 1/2 glued to 1 sheet of 1/16 balsa that ran between rib ends. I made the pads go from top to bottom (getting BOTH 1/16 sheets) and lengthened them to reach all the way to the TE of the aileron. Then I cross (at a 45 degree angle from the control rod pad) drilled the tail control surfaces and put in 1/8 dowel rods to improve stiffness and gusseted the root of the elevators.

I saw one at Toledo and asked if I could touch it and discovered that my tail feathers were stiffer BEFORE COVERING than the finished product being shown was!

Mine flew great and I NEVER had a problem until the top wing came off just as I pushed level at the top of an Immelman. I promise you the next landing was very exciting to me and those watching. Fixing that was . . . interesting.

I have been impressed with your build, approach, considerations, and results.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:16 AM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

✔ Ditto on that

Originally Posted by Melchizedek
That's why I enjoy following your builds Robert.
The sentiment of "it must be right" .

The mark of a Craftsman.

Kevin
Old 03-30-2014, 02:11 AM
TomCrump

A little more FYI of why this canopy is bugging me. The one I got from FS is standard which also means a thin plastic. From what I have seen of in-flight videos with a camera pointed rearward the "standard" canopies flex like a wet noodle. I really do not want a wet noodle in flight with the frame and rails on this bird. I think the thick plastic I bought (.040) is much more suited for this purpose.
So! Everything is on hold until I get this canopy sorted out to my liking.

Glenn is working on the windows of his Spartan Executive. He is experimenting with some alternative materials, for the "glass." He found something that sags nicely at 350 degree, without vacu forming. You may want to discuss this with him, and see it it's a viable solution for you. He says the material is thicker than what we normally use. From the pic that he sent me, it's crystal clear, too.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:58 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I would be interested in this. There is always that future project that could benefit.
Time for coffee and getting at it.

Ken
Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 AM
acerc

This morning I figured while waiting on a trip to town for the PoP I may as well be sewing. One rib down 31 more to go!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1982698  
Old 03-30-2014, 06:11 AM
stevegauth30

It's a start. I don't envy you there. Looks like a bit of work, but the reward is Hugh.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:49 AM
acerc

This go around is even worse than the last time around. I am going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow so today is the ugly day. Makes getting anything done a bit slower. LOL!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 AM
stevegauth30

Oh the joys of getting older.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:21 AM
flyingagin

OH crap been there done that.

Better you than me there buddy

Ken
Old 03-30-2014, 07:44 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Take it to the john with ya, sew white sitting.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:09 AM
acerc

It is not verbally possible to get someone to understand just how much one can piss out one's ass. No thank's Anthony, even if my bathroom was large enough, I don't think it is possible to not get brown spots on it. NOT LOL!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 AM
stevegauth30

TmI! LOL
Old 03-30-2014, 02:31 PM
flyingagin

The E Coli wing

Ken
Old 03-30-2014, 03:06 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

This go around is even worse than the last time around. I am going in for a colonoscopy tomorrow so today is the ugly day. Makes getting anything done a bit slower. LOL!

UGH! I hate those.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:59 PM
TomCrump

Originally Posted by flyingagin
OH crap been there done that.

Ken

This struck me a funny.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:38 PM
flyingagin

Originally Posted by TomCrump
This struck me a funny.
Thanks Tom, you know me. I just had to attempt to make light of something I have been through, is terribly unpleasant, BUT it is a good thing really. Still hate 'em with a deep passion.

Your comment calmed me down. I am over on TBHOTR site posting my first any where angry retort to 3 post. The dude was not involved and jumps in a week later. I will also report him.

For me this is EXTREME, I prefer to walk away. It really cooks my goose that it is MY build thread.

Thanks Tom, I now consider my retort more before I post. The guy is a moderator. Makes me no deference. He has just seemed to be in a bad mood to me from his post over the last 6 months.

Hey Robert I will pray for you tonight. You take, it is very unpleasant, but it is a wonderful blessing that we have in this country. I will pray that you have a clean slate tomorrow. I really wanted to say something else, but let it pass.

Take care.

Ken
Old 03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
acerc

And here I thought I was entering the "Golden years", ha, not so golden today. But it has all "Passed", and glad to be "Done" with that part. Tomorrow can't be any where near as "Draining" as today was. I actually got sick for a few hours, I guess my bodies way of coping. But on a lighter note at least I know what tomorrow will bring.

Ok! I'm done. I only managed to get four six sewn, but do plan on doing more tomorrow if possible.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:26 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Good luck Robert on the "C"...had one done myself over the summer. The worst part was the prep. Good part was the sleep that you get while under! Last thing I remember before I went under was the nurse saying, we intoduce air into your colon so when you wake you will be very flatulent...oh great!
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 AM
flyingagin

Sir Farts A Lot

Ken
Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah nothing like being in a recovery room full of people who just had colonoscopies. Sounds like someone walking across a herd of frogs.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Ah the big "C" I have had a couple of those, for me the worst part was when they went around the corners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.