Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Pitts S1-S by EMHW

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:04 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Stickers suck. I've never used a sticker when I didn't regret it. Even if they stay down they're always too thick. I do like water slide and dry transfer. In all cases I will clear coat. If I put anything on plastic-coat coverings then I try to only do so if it's way away from fuel exhaust an know that eventually it's going to start coming off and there's nothing I can do about it and just hope it lasts as long as possible.
I'm just going to say, these are professional grade logos, they do not come off, they are not thick, they most definitely are not stickers bought out of a bubble gum machine. No where in or on any of my build threads will you see me use the words "Stickers". Thank you for your support!!!

Last edited by acerc; 08-25-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by rs917
Even the WASP sticker is peeling!!! This is unreal!
By the way, it's not actually peeling, just looks that way.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 PM
uncletwist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely STUNNING/BREATHTAKING Robert, anybody that admires this kind of modeling (me/others) are in awe of what you`re creating. Can`t wait to see the finished plane...
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
Thanks DavidThanks John. I still have to put in the shoulder harness. I want to redo the radio, it just don't look right, a little paint still, all in all it is coming along great. The back rest decals came in today so they were applied. I had them made as they were pictured in the aircraft, worn a bit. The surrounding area that I had originally covered with vinyl was not working for me so I removed it and replaced it with some peel and stick aluminum, it will get repainted soon.
Seat back and cockpit looks just fine and dandy Ace... nothing wrong with a little artistic license, when you see fit... and if they mark points off for it, just give them the finger, ... but I think it will be so overwhelming with all the bright colors and graphics, no one will care to split hairs over it... anyway, your initial intentions wasn't to enter it into competition, so if they do start splitting hairs, its in the wrong category... here at RCU, its all about the fun and enjoyment... I think JW going to be awe struck when she sees it completed... I kinda wish I could be there to see the red carpet unveiling.

John M,
Old 08-26-2014, 01:53 AM
stevegauth30

"Stickers?" These are probably the same quality, if not better than the decals on the full scale. Trust me, there not coming off.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:04 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I have vinyl decals from the same source you can't beat the quality and the durability. The detail is amazing and I'm even more amazed how he made to look worn, wrinkled and pealing without them actually being wrinkled and pealing!

Uncletwist, the correction was easy, Tuco is from the Good, the Bad, And The Ugly my all time favorite Western. I bought the restored movie on DVD when it came out as well as the soundtrack CD which I still have in the car playing!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:48 AM
Melchizedek

Great flick flyer.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2014, 06:48 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" Most of us older guys can't afford to lose much more than we already have!"

I got into this before we even knew what mufflers were, and went from there to noisy, 2 stroke dirt bikes, with my 3 sons.

It just cost me 5K in hearing aids to get back to where I could enjoy a conversation in the living room with the family, i.e., be able to hear everyone.

"
I do like water slide "

The last time I tried some roundels of that variety, in a VERY short time they all shattered/cracked.

Les

Last edited by LesUyeda; 08-26-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
" Most of us older guys can't afford to lose much more than we already have!"

I got into this before we even knew what mufflers were, and went from there to noisy, 2 stroke dirt bikes, with my 3 sons.

It just cost me 5K in hearing aids to get back to where I could enjoy a conversation in the living room with the family, i.e., be able to hear everyone.

"
I do like water slide "

The last time I tried some roundels of that variety, in a VERY short time they all shattered/cracked.

Les
I can relate I have been wearing them since 2004.

Vinyl decals are like anything it depends on who made them and what quality of materials were used. I was in the home improvement industries for a number of years before getting into IT/Computers. The vinyl windows back then were garbage the UV rays ate them up and I wouldn't touch them. Now they have changed the vinyl they use where the UV doesn't affect them and in the pass year I have replaced all my windows with Energy Star rated vinyl windows with Ultra Low-E glass. Materials are improved over time.

That said, there is nothing wrong with water slide decals! Unfortunately my old stiff numb fingers don't work well with water slide decals. The vinyl are harder to tear and more idiot proof so I use them.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-26-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Robert your build is impressive in so many ways, the research/documentation, the patience, the execution, the $$$, just incredible...

Last edited by VincentJ; 08-26-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:49 AM
CafeenMan

Regarding my comment about stickers suck. I received an email saying "Even the WASP sticker is peeling!!! This is unreal!"

So I thought that it was another thing going wrong with the build. Then when I looked at the image it looked like stickers he had just applied were coming off and I posted. After someone said something I looked again and finally realized what was going on. So very well done and I'm sorry I said anything.

But stickers still suck. lol.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Regarding my comment about stickers suck. I received an email saying "Even the WASP sticker is peeling!!! This is unreal!"

So I thought that it was another thing going wrong with the build. Then when I looked at the image it looked like stickers he had just applied were coming off and I posted. After someone said something I looked again and finally realized what was going on. So very well done and I'm sorry I said anything.

But stickers still suck. lol.
Hey, different strokes for different folks!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:12 AM
acerc

I agree totally, stickers suck. I don't even put the AMA sticker on my vehicle because within six months it will begin peeling and that look's like spit! And then I have to scrape and clean it off.
I was asked yesterday, not here, why her logos were peeling if they were better than stickers. That is simple, because she sits in there rubbing, sweating, and the like, not to mention the climbing in and out. All logos on the airframe elsewise are perfectly fine. Don't get me wrong, I know even the best adhesive will give way eventually but no where near the same time frame.

Last edited by acerc; 08-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM
acerc

Sometimes the, what should be, simplest task can be a bear. I have been tinkering on and off all day. The canopy rail and sliders have been installed, and aligning three holes through three layers of metal should not be a pain, but it was.
The tail feathers are on and tail wheel hooked up. These are held on via a wire running all the way across the butting surfaces. Two reasons for full width wire, first is ease of on and off, second is it closes up the gap somewhat. Turns out running a wire thru is much more a pain than what I thought it should be, but, it is done.
I think what made most of it a pain is doing it whilst not wanting to scratch anything.
On another note, there are those whom have issues with keeping the aircraft straight at the point the tail lifts. One thing I like to do, if it is a known, is set the tail wheel for straight roll out with the rudder at an offset. Having another Pitts gives me a good starting point of 2° rudder offset, in the pic you can actually see this. And it does help immensely in maintaining a straight line.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	2026182  
Old 08-26-2014, 02:35 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Looking good Robert you planing on flying any this week?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Melchizedek

As each piece of the puzzle is added it just gets better and better.

I have to keep scratching new notches on my fabulous scale.
I am running out of room. Next up glue another foot on to make room for the new notches.
Why a foot ? Cause I already glued 6 inches on and you done used that up .

Robert, Do you use toe out on the front gear or run them straight ?

Kevin
Old 08-26-2014, 02:55 PM
acerc

Originally Posted by mrdhud
Looking good Robert you planing on flying any this week?
Actually, that is a good idea.. I'll call you.
Originally Posted by Melchizedek
As each piece of the puzzle is added it just gets better and better.

I have to keep scratching new notches on my fabulous scale.
I am running out of room. Next up glue another foot on to make room for the new notches.
Why a foot ? Cause I already glued 6 inches on and you done used that up .

Robert, Do you use toe out on the front gear or run them straight ?

Kevin
Not, not a bit, dead straight. But if I were to do anything it would be toe in.

Last edited by acerc; 08-26-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM
acerc

The horses are back up front. I will button it up and do a run to check everything before installing the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	327.0 KB
ID:	2026231  
Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

She is looking really sweet! Great idea on the tail wheel!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:36 AM
acerc

With the way this build has went so far with issues, lack of adequate foresight, planning ahead just to be three steps short, and the such, I have decided I want to run the engine one more time before final mounting to the airframe. So I will spend the day getting it removed and mounted on the stand box ready for a run. Might be able to run it tomorrow but not sure with the chaos going on around here.
Actually a funny happened this morning, the wonderful wife had made an online purchase from Sears for me a new bandsaw, birthday being tomorrow and all that. She got a call from Sears this morning and with the chaos and being so use to me buying from them, she hands the phone to me, LOL, they did not have one in store and wanted to know what to do.......
Old 08-27-2014, 08:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Lol!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:24 AM
stevegauth30

And you replied?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
CafeenMan

OK, I bought a Craftsman drill press and after using it a while the return spring broke. This was my experience getting a new one. We're talking about a cheap coil spring. They charge about $12 for a new one.

Online it says they "Maintain regional warehouses so they can get parts to you fast! Yeah, so they charged me $9 to ship and then said it would take 2-3 weeks for me to get the part. Seriously? They could have sent it by USPS flat rate Priority shipping for $5 and I would have had it in 3 days if they sent it to me in Florida and shipped it from Alaska. It's no wonder Sears is having problems.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

I hear that little Ryobi bench top bandsaw at Home Depot is pretty good.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I had a big stand mounted 12' (?) Sears band saw. loved it. Had to part with it and my radial arm saw during a move. Dang I have missed them. Only problem I had with the band saw was the lock for the table was poor. I fixed that

I now have a Skill bench top band saw. It is fine for 95% of what I do. Yeah it is no where near the tool the Sears was but it is 10K% than no band saw. I have been cutting out wing rib templates with min of late. It was just a horrid affair to do with out a band saw. And I am about a 90% scratch builder, even down to making my own templates.

Good for you Robert. And oh sounds like ya got a keeper there, wife that is.

Ken

Oh and maybe??? the plane is a keeper too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.