Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Scale Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Plans Copiers on Ebay

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Aircraft Discuss rc scale aircraft here (for giant scale see category above)

Plans Copiers on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 02:23 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plans Copiers on Ebay

John Jaycox is a Democrat!

Look...Bill, we ought to stick to models. Here's my suggestion. Take two Ambroids and call me in the morning!
There are a lot of other places on the web that are great for debating politics, but this ain't it.
Take my word on this, as something of a web veteran...
These kinds of discussions only lead to no good. You'll end up hurting feelings and making enemies amongst your fellow modellers. And for what? OS versus Saito, sure. But this, no. It's just not what most people want to read, it's just not the place for it. Be you right or wrong, it's just not the place.
Soooo...gimme a couplet relating to A-20 Havocs or Bostons, and search around beneath your workbench for your lost sense of humor...

"...and move forward into broad, sunlit uplands..."
-W. Churchill
Old 12-24-2002, 04:37 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

EZ:

Right again, Robin. I mean EasyTiger.

I get into a foul mood when I think of the "Failed lawyers and other scalawags" that infest our nation's capitol. Think that description was from Mark Twain.

So, instead I will rant and rave about the people who buy XXXX engines, rather than YYYY engines. OK?

An A-20. You must want to raise Cain (Havoc) with your new twin.

I am flooded with new twins at the moment, and it's due to get worse. Three here at the moment in process, a Twin-Air 45 and two Duellists. All at the same time. Another twin is coming from Northeast Aerodynamics, and a Bridi Tigercat is due in January. And I already have my little F7F and the C-3/10 ready to go. When the rain stops.

And there's eleven others, plus three helis, and four r/c boats.

And don't forget "Homebuilts."

Other than catfood and me-food, my main spending is for things that fly. And while I hate paying utility bills, that engine is only (insert your own number here) ? I'll take a pair. (Twins don't do too well with one engine.)

So we have established my insanity. How about yours?

You fly a Havoc, I'll raise Cain -
. paying for the stuff, there's the pain!

Better?

Bill.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:55 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Hey, I get to be Batman today! You got to be him yesterday! My turn!

Mark Twain also said "get the facts first, then you can distort them as you see fit..."

My insanity? Ummm...perhaps a TOUCH worse than yours. Check out my gallery pages for a small taste. Everything from free flight to turbines. Twins right now? A Lil Roughneck with two cox 01's(a real he-man's hairy-chested flyer!), a 55" P-61(about ready for paint), and I think that may be it at the moment, don't remember. Just got rid of a Me110 and a OV10 Bronco.
The Havoc is big on my list of winter projects.

I also have just about all of the Sterling Chris Craft boats, and a small fleet of micro radio control boats.
Just started on a small project this evening, a 1942 Comet Gypsy Sloop Junior, a free sailing boat model. It is beautiful and unusual.

No helis. Eeeeeew. They are worse than model trains.

I have a wife and 15 month old daughter, it's probably good that I have to feed them, if not, it would be pretty sick, what I could spend on models. I have a very decent allowance for toys...most than most, less than some. I count my blessings.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:35 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

EZ:

OK, Batman, today I'll be bat boy, and if you say please, tomorrow also. For Christmas you get two days out of the barrel.

One of my favorite Mark Twains concerns honesty. "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Looking at an earlier post: John Jaycox is a Democrat? If that's his only fault, I suppose we can ignore it. Haw.

You mentioned the Comet Gypsy Sloop. I had a lot of fun with those. And I also built a Bluenose schooner, but I think that was a Sterling kit. I know my 42' Chris-Craft was Sterling, my son still has it on his mantel, complete with a Pittman "Super Panther" motor, and a very old Willard NT-6 wet cell battery.

I have not gone into turbines, and I probably never will.

But you should try helis, they give a great sense of personal gratification and accomplishment when you manage to fly one without crashing. The learning curve is very steep, but it can be greatly eased by using RF. When you can hover in RF, ask some assistance in setting your real one up, and you shouldn't have any trouble at all. BUT. Constant inspection and maintenance is absolutely necessary. What would just be a rough landing with a plank can cost several hundred dollars for parts when done with a big helicopter.

Your twins? I imagine after you carry that Lil' Roughneck with its twin Coxes to the flight line you have to rest before picking up the xmtr. Haw. Is your P-61 the Marutaka? Nice plane.

Me? I have two daughters and a son. All grown and gone. I often miss them. And an ex-wife, also gone. I give thanks for for not-so-small favors.

But what does any of this have to do with plagiarism? I'm WAY off the thread. Sorry.

You steal my twin design, I'll put up a nasty sign.

Bill.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Default RE: Plans Copiers on Ebay

I designed and developed a set of 1/5th scale R/C plans for the HEINKEL He-100D. I built the model and sold several sets of plans and canopies. William Miller aka "Uncle Willie" contacted me to BUY the rights to my plans so he could PRINT,COPY, and Sell, the plans and canopy made from the mold that I also made to compliment the plans. We agreed upon a price. The plans are his property now but he still credits me with the drawings and design with all sales. Contrary to common belief......you can not make a living selling plans or copies of plans. Most plans are not actually "copyrighted" and therefore there are no legal ramifications to selling and distributing copies of them. Mr. Miller is doing business completely within the statutes and limitations of copyright laws concerning printed materials.

Also....This is a hobby forum. Not a place for political rants. I get to listen to all that B/S everyday. Day-in and day-out. I would hope to find some solitude from all politics in these forums. Besides....it is against RCU forum policy to impose political statements in RCU forums. So... who is breaking the rules now?????

Dennis L. Wann
Bryan,Ohio
Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this was dead thread till you revived it what was the point ?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
HE-162

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

Most plans are not actually "copyrighted" and therefore there are no legal ramifications to selling and distributing copies of them. Mr. Miller is doing business completely within the statutes and limitations of copyright laws concerning printed materials.

Also....This is a hobby forum. Not a place for political rants. I get to listen to all that B/S everyday. Day-in and day-out. I would hope to find some solitude from all politics in these forums. Besides....it is against RCU forum policy to impose political statements in RCU forums. So... who is breaking the rules now?????

Dennis L. Wann
Bryan,Ohio
If you are so tired of B/S then why are you spreading it around? A quick look at the copyright Office web site will tell you what a copyright is, my advice is to go crawl back under your rock:

How to Secure a Copyright

Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See “Copyright Registration.”

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. “Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. “Phonorecords” are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the “work”) can be fixed in sheet music (“copies”) or in phonograph disks (“phonorecords”), or both. If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

OUY OF CURIOSITY. -what date did this "copyright law" occur?

marwen1
Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: HE-162

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

Most plans are not actually "copyrighted" and therefore there are no legal ramifications to selling and distributing copies of them. Mr. Miller is doing business completely within the statutes and limitations of copyright laws concerning printed materials.

Dennis L. Wann
Bryan,Ohio
If you are so tired of B/S then why are you spreading it around? A quick look at the copyright Office web site will tell you what a copyright is, my advice is to go crawl back under your rock:

How to Secure a Copyright

Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. (See following note.) There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. See “Copyright Registration.”

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. “Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. “Phonorecords” are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the “work”) can be fixed in sheet music (“copies”) or in phonograph disks (“phonorecords”), or both. If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date.

Having made a career in the graphics arts and publishing, I concur with the copyright information posted here.

Registration of the copyright is offers the best protection but providing proof of the date you created your work is second best. This is easily done by mailing a registered package to yourself and storing it unopened. The postal cancellation and confirmed delivery signature creates a legally binding document as long as it remains unopened until needed in a copyright infringement lawsuit.

Unfortunately, enforcement of copyright law violation is up to the copyright holder. The burden of proof is on the copyright holder, not the violator. Often the individual author, artist, musician, potter, etc., can do little without incurring heavy legal costs. A cease and desist letter from an attorney occasionally stops the violator but rarely does little until you put a lawsuit set of teeth into it.

For the small creator, pirating of your works can be very high if it becomes a popular, selective or rare commodity. You either need to prepare for that or just decide it isn't worth the expense.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

Dick T.

How TRUE your words are!
Having been a professional photographer since 1960, I've run into this problem time and time again.

I have a publication floating around here somewhere and it defines what, where, and when this action became effective. i.e. no need to clutter up your work with a copyright circle. etc. ( © )

If I find it, I'll scan it and post it here.

marwen1
Old 03-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hello Fellow Modelers,

I do sell Plans on eBay and to private individuals !! They are advertised and sold as "COPIES" made from the ORIGINAL Masters that I Purchased from the owner in 1995. Most were drawn by Harold Osborne, Dale Willoughby, and designers that worked for Willoughby and Scale R/C Modeler Magazine. They were and still are Copyrighted and registered. I'm very proud of the "COPIES" that I make; they were designed for SCRATCH BUILDERS and show all unique formers, ribs, and special parts that are needed. Osborne's Plans are works of Art. My only protection is the size of Osborne’s Plans. Most are 42" Wide and for example; the Hall Springfield "Bulldog" Plan is 12 FEET long. Difficult to copy at Kinko’s.

Yes, I have had to deal with at least three (3) eBay sellers that have attempted to sell additional COPIES of MY plans on ebay. They ARE STEALING from me and from everyone that purchases any illegal copy. As one of them stated in his ad "These Storch Plans are the Finest I have ever seen” When I informed him that he was selling Copyrighted Material, He threatened to sue me for slander. My Lawyer sent him a letter and eBay pulled his ad each time he attempted to post it.

Another fellow from Canada said that Copyrights didn't affect people in Canada. A letter from my lawyer changed his thoughts.

The third person just keeps on making copies of any plan he feels like selling, he blocks out the information block on the plan and won't answer any questions about it.

As I said, I own the Original Master of every Plan or Scale Drawing that I make copies from. If you would like a copy of my Plans and Scale Drawing listing, just send me your e-mail address and I will e-mail the listing back to you in a Word document.

Ken Kehlet AMA 1528 [email protected]