Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Off topic - rant

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:35 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Off topic - rant

Pretty funny coming from someone who lives in a state where more than 40 % of the residents don't even speak english in their home.This is a hobby forum and not an English class.

You want a mission...........here is one....Go look up "Pompous ass ".....

BIGMIG
Old 08-31-2012, 06:41 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

I play with Tanks only played with Teacher if she looked good .
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: CHIEFSONN

REX I believe it is called Waldschlepper wheeled tractor
~~~~~~~

I believe you are correct. I guess it was a conversion of the Raupenschlepper OST (Steyr type RSO/03): Full Track Light Prime Mover. I ran across that photo on a Russian website and haven't been able to find anything else about it. One exists in a museum. I wonder how many were made...........and why? But I like it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93703.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	1797115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23412.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	1797116  
Old 08-31-2012, 07:38 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

Pretty funny coming from someone who lives in a state where more than 40 % of the residents don't even speak english in their home.This is a hobby forum and not an English class.

You want a mission...........here is one....Go look up ''Pompous ass ''.....

BIGMIG
Sticks and stones BM.

Using your crepuscular thought process that's even more more amusing coming from from someone in a state in which they shouldn't have any excuse to use better grammar.

Jerry

Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with a thread like this is that the OP’s comments will be examined for correctness by its very nature. The die is cast by the words written. And unfortunately for the OP there are grammatical errors in his very posts while he is chastising others for such infractions. Unknown to him. If one wishes to throw down the grammar gauntlet (on an RC tank forum for some reason), they should really spend the time to make sure that their condescension’s are correctly parsed. If they do not have that capacity then they should have their posts proof read by others prior. It’s a common tense for internet trolling. As obvious as the clumsy attempt to show their mastery of the usage of ‘whom’ and the all too predictable escalation of vocabulary. Seriously, do you use the word ‘crepuscular’ on a regular basis? What is the intent in selecting that particular word? To show others that you know it and establish an intellectual high ground?

<o></o>

So I would challenge the OP to go back through his posts, add in commas where needed and fix the dangling participles. I would recommend a review of this website before making such posts.<o></o>

http://www.grammarly.com

All in all this is what the teeny boppers would call an epic fail of a thread. Not being a teeny bopper I will simply cut and paste what was so eloquently stated above in this thread.<o></o>

<o>
</o>
"Poor grammar and syntax foster a perception all their own and it isn't very complimentary."

While you are busy judging, you are also being judged.

And seriously, the last time I saw someone so happy to have completed their mission they were sitting at a Chic-fil-A drive through trying to berate the very pleasant attendant.<o></o>

In a nut shell, why so smug bro? Bad day?

Perry

Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

The problem with a thread like this is that the OP’s comments will be examined for correctness by its very nature. The die is cast by the words written. And unfortunately for the OP there are grammatical errors in his very posts while he is chastising others for such infractions. Unknown to him. If one wishes to throw down the grammar gauntlet (on an RC tank forum for some reason), they should really spend the time to make sure that their condescension’s are correctly parsed. If they do not have that capacity then they should have their posts proof read by others prior. It’s a common tense for internet trolling. As obvious as the clumsy attempt to show their mastery of the usage of ‘whom’ and the all too predictable escalation of vocabulary. Seriously, do you use the word ‘crepuscular’ on a regular basis? What is the intent in selecting that particular word? To show others that you know it and establish an intellectual high ground?

<o></o>

So I would challenge the OP to go back through his posts, add in commas where needed and fix the dangling participles. I would recommend a review of this website before making such posts.<o></o>

http://www.grammarly.com

All in all this is what the teeny boppers would call an epic fail of a thread. Not being a teeny bopper I will simply cut and paste what was so eloquently stated above in this thread.<o></o>

<o>
</o>
''Poor grammar and syntax foster a perception all their own and it isn't very complimentary.''

While you are busy judging, you are also being judged.

And seriously, the last time I saw someone so happy to have completed their mission they were sitting at a Chic-fil-A drive through trying to berate the very pleasant attendant.<o></o>

In a nut shell, why so smug bro? Bad day?

Perry

Feeling better now? I thought my feathers were easily ruffled. Sheese...

Please point out where I said my grammar is perfect and I'll gladly retract the statement. I'm sure you will find many errors in my posts. Did you
read where I made a blanket condemnation of everyone's writing? Please point that out to me. I'll retract that statement also.

Perry you've set a new standard in this thread and should teach us all a thing or two. Certainly you just turned up the antagonism a bit.
I'll promise to stop using 25 cent words; you teach us to avoid dangling participles.

As the 'OP' I pointed to one thing that I find mildly annoying. I could have just as easily said I dislike overdone weathering on a tank model.

The choice to aim posts at me directly was that of the responding poster. I singled no one out but responded when directly attacked. What did you
expect? That I would "turn the other cheek"? Guess again.

My day was perfect. Thanks for asking! There doesn't seem to be a Chic-fil-A outlet near me. Can't say I've tried Chic-fil-A but I believe I'd
prefer In-n Out burgers anyway.

Before everyone gets their popcorn out let's call it a day. It just isn't that important to rile everyone up. If the moderator wants to pull the thread
that's fine with me. I'm sorry I even brought it up. Please, go wild with your apostrophes. You have my permission to use any I forgot.

Jerry
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Perry S.

ORIGINAL: Tanque

Feeling better now? I thought my feathers were easily ruffled. Sheese...

Please point out where I said my grammar is perfect and I'll gladly retract the statement. I'm sure you will find many errors in my posts. Did you
read where I made a blanket condemnation of everyone's writing? Please point that out to me. I'll retract that statement also.

Perry you've set a new standard in this thread and should teach us all a thing or two. Certainly you just turned up the antagonism a bit.
I'll promise to stop using 25 cent words; you teach us to avoid dangling participles.

As the 'OP' I pointed to one thing that I find mildly annoying. I could have just as easily said I dislike overdone weathering on a tank model.

The choice to aim posts at me directly was that of the responding poster. I singled no one out but responded when directly attacked. What did you
expect? That I would "turn the other cheek"? Guess again.

My day was perfect. Thanks for asking! There doesn't seem to be a Chic-fil-A outlet near me. Can't say I've tried Chic-fil-A but I believe I'd
prefer In-n Out burgers anyway.

Before everyone gets their popcorn out let's call it a day. It just isn't that important to rile everyone up. If the moderator wants to pull the thread
that's fine with me. I'm sorry I even brought it up. Please, go wild with your apostrophes. You have my permission to use any I forgot.

Jerry
Huge scathing response typed out and crafted but deleted at the last moment out of regard for civility and respect for the members of this forum. You can have this one Jerry. Where you refused to turn the other cheek, I will.
Nice thread.

Perry

Old 09-01-2012, 01:45 AM
wl7cpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Grammar and mechanics are not taught in public schools anymore. Neither is handwriting.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

How about then and than.  I see so many people use then when they mean than. 
Old 09-01-2012, 04:34 AM
AugerDawger

I love RC.

Can't stand most RC people.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thread with passion. These are OK once in awhile

Language evolves. Look for a society where Shakespearean English is used. No point getting too hung up on the details. You have about 75 years where you can delight everyone with your command of the language, and then the language commands you. The keepers of the rules die off, and the next generation, who has different needs and priorities, has their kick at the cat.

Another 10 years of text messaging and I can only imagine what this will evolve into.

LOFLMAO, cya, brb, k, and I am an OLD guy text messaging. My Kids and their friends have developed text messaging into its own language, and you know what?. They can communicate 10 times quicker then me. I wonder what is going to win out over the course of time?. It is ironic that the same kids who jab me about my grammar when I am online, communicate 90% of the time using something that barely resembles English

Edit added

A debate will deteriorate as soon as it turns personnel, and barbs are thrown. This was doomed from the start. My observation on this is that you have two camps. Those that care and those that don't. Although I don't quite agree with personnel profiling, there certainly is some merit to the idea that no matter who you are you can be typecast into about 4 different categories. You have your orange people, blue people, green people, and red, and generally speaking we are all a combination of these. However most people will have some major traits they fall into, and it is important you get those peoples assigned things that are their strengths The free thinking, risk taking inventor, doesn't want to operate in an environment of stuffed shirts and policy police. Large successful corporations know this fact, and many of their design teams work in a completely different environment than their finance people do. There are star designers and there are star finance people, but the way in which the work and function will be completely different.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter, but when you take that opinion, and claim it to be the only right one, and make suggestions to those that don't share that opinion are somehow less then you. That is when the trouble will start.

Obviously the guy with bad grammar, you don't want writing your promotional literature, or the risk taker working in your tax department. Just be very careful how condescending you are to individuals who don't share the same priorities as you. Their strengths( And believe me they have them) are somewhere else.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 AM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

YHR is correct I'm old the last time I had any grammar lessons was back in the 70's before Text messaging .
I still do long words when I text not the short fast version .
So who can tell what grammar will be like in 10 years here .

Thanks
Jimmy
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I may not be able to speak proper English very well, but I can talk American pretty good. Allow me to put my dog in this fight.

There was a time when it was admirable if we tried to elevate ourselves with education. Education is a function of Evolution.

These days it seems like it is acceptable to lower our standards to a common denominator so that we won't be percieved to be a supercilious pedantic snob with egregious huberis.

But I could be wrong.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Perry S.

Maybe spelling is not all it's cracked up to be. It's amazing how complex the human mind is and it's ability to decipher text to convey meanings. The excerpt below is from a recent study. In a nutshell it shows that what's important is the first and last letter of a word. The letters in between can be jumbled. See if you can quickly read through this. I was amazed that I could make it through at about 3/4 reading speed.

if yuo can raed tihs, you hvae a sgtrane mnid, too.
Can you raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Perry

Surprisingly, I read and totally understood what was written. However, I must admit that the total command of the English language, particularly in its written form, has absolutely nothing to do with the enjoyment of the hobby. Personally, I do appreciate others sharing their experiences and expertise with various products on the market today to which I might have some interest. So I would encourage all, regardless of their command of the written language, to continue posting and sharing their affection of the hobby. [8D]
Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 AM
Saburo Sakai

Jackson, you are spot on! Enjoy the five stars (where do we redeem these for RC points and free stuff???).
Tanque, it's good to get that stuff off your chest. Some folks guilty of English defilementmay even take note, but I wouldn't get my hopes up until bad teachers are eradicated rather than coddled by certain "special interests" that have power as a motive rather than good teaching.
Nonetheless, as long as wecan communicate and understand each other in our posts here, all in friendly love of these wonderful models, all is well.I'm a plane and fishguy, but here's where I do my ranting, if you'd like to join in:
http://rcfightersforfreedom.blogspot.com/
Note: offsite ranting for mature (voting age) American and other folks (English, please!) who are liberty and politically minded and whoalso might want to talk about the sport of R/C with no worry of offending anybody easily offended BY THE TRUTH..
Good luck on your mission.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Interesting pen name, Saburo. What was his final tally? I read his book many MANY moons ago.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Captain Action

I run with sissors.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Lincs Winks Wayne

Well guys get used to it, the younger generation when they text do not spell correctly they spell short to save time and money.
I suspect things will only get worse. ( What me a pessimist ) Not I !!
Some of us are not perfect and the rest are. Happy spelling BEE ! EH !!

Wayne
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM
pattoncommander

Jerry, you hit it. Some of the posts show a dire lack of English schooling. Bad enough to listen to Radio-TV announcers speaking about "THUH atmosphere" or selling "IN-surance". However, American on the other hand, is a very difficult and overly complicated language due to the thousands of foreign words incorporated into the former English language, combined with the sad fact that our schools and under qualified teachers are down grading everything with very little emphasis being on speaking properly. The integration of so much slang and accepted "street language" phrases into daily speaking and parents unable or unwilling to make corrections puts many younger people in a very awkward situation when applying for a higher level job. Now, they have to go to special schools or seminars to show them how to properly formulate resumes and how to speak. It's not a personal thing, but rather our modern society. There are so many differences between English and American, most European countries offer seperate language courses. I hope your post has made people aware of some common mistakes without injuring personal feelings. As if English/American grammar isn't intricate enough, try German or Hebrew.[:@]
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Lol

We have a local used car dealer who does his own TV ads. Even my country buds make fun of him with his frosted tips and spray tan, offering to sell a 've-HIC-le'.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 AM
pattoncommander

Unfortunately it's a geographical quirk. Here in SC, people seem to have a need of pronouncing everything in contradiction to the Webster dictionary. They sell IN-surance, not in-SHUR-ance, you eat an ERnge, not an orange, a popular name in Michaelis, normally pronounced Mi-kay-les is MIKe-a -lis , Kinnard, normally Kin-NARD is KIYE-nerd, Geiger, a very well known German name, pronounced GUY-ger, is here, GEE-ger. THE, when preceding a vowel or vowel sounding word is THEE, but here, it's THUH apple, THUH Earth....etc. The school system is rapidly deterriorating so no corrections are made, if even it is known to the teacher. Family school help is all but gone, outside of families who choose to home school their children. If the child learns in school; "I don't have any", and all he/she hears at home is "Ah ain't got none" where are we heading? [:'(] Check it out....these children want to grow up and be managers or CEOs. [:@] Maybe they will get a job writing assembly directions in China or Pakistan.