Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Adding weight to tanks

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 04:45 PM
CHIEFSONN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

light tanks bounce to much jmo.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:25 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I tend to feel any weight you want to place onto a tank's hull should be placed inside. Attaching it to the outside of the hull bottom reduces your ground clearance, which is already reduced in the first place by the added weight. You could get beached or hung up on a rock propped up by your hull.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Shark27

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBird69
Neat idea, but the problem with just adding a sheet of metal to the bottom is you still haven't addressed the Center of Balance issue! Personally I use stick on car weights and that solves everything..
Really, I don't know a better way to lower the center of gravity than by putting weight on the lowest part of the tank, underneath the hull! In the original post he only mentions increasing the weight, but weight evenly distributed under the hull actually lowers the CG and provides the weight as well as stiffens the hull, and doesn't overload the suspension in only one area which other types of weight might do, so you get four benefits in one.
While adding the plate does reduce the ground clearance by 3mm the Sherman has plenty of ground clearance. You run the risk of getting hung up on a rock no matter how much ground clearance you have, it just depends on the size of rock you try to drive over. Personally I try to avoid those big ones.
Steve

Last edited by Shark27; 07-11-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Glen B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Strato50
And here I am trying to keep my 'light' tanks as light as possible
Me too. Our tank field is outdoors with grass that we cut as short as possible, but lur experience is taht the heavier tanks tend to bog down a bit and deplete the batteries more quickly with the added resistance of the grass surface, even when it is cut short.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark27
Really, I don't know a better way to lower the center of gravity than by putting weight on the lowest part of the tank, underneath the hull! In the original post he only mentions increasing the weight, but weight evenly distributed under the hull actually lowers the CG and provides the weight as well as stiffens the hull, and doesn't overload the suspension in only one area which other types of weight might do, so you get four benefits in one.
While adding the plate does reduce the ground clearance by 3mm the Sherman has plenty of ground clearance. You run the risk of getting hung up on a rock no matter how much ground clearance you have, it just depends on the size of rock you try to drive over. Personally I try to avoid those big ones.
Steve

You are indeed correct with your analogy there Steve.

Jeff
Old 07-14-2014, 12:40 AM
LosTxSouL94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it appears nothing is coming from the local source. I will go online and get some on Wednesday as it's my pay day.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:46 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would concur with the stick on wheel weights being pretty effective since lead wins in the density department.

Was experimenting with the StuGIII I have, and ended up melting some wheelweights and casting them into blocks that fit between the torsion bars since that space is essentially wasted anyway.

Of course, another battery if possible would be a better option, since it is useful for something other than dead weight.