Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where to get an M3 Lee conversion?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Anyone know where to get an M3 Lee conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Max-U52

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone know where to get an M3 Lee conversion?

I'm sure it's been done, so can anyone tell me about converting a Sherman to an M3 Lee? Think the new imex Sherman would work for that? Yeah, TCM is runnin' that old classic with Bogie as a tank commander. They have a nice P-51 with oversized Balkan crosses painted on it and fake machine guns glued to the cowl, but it's still a cool old flick.

So what can you guys tell me about doing a Lee in R/C? Any help, tips, advice is always appreciated.

Gary/Max
Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Scratch it or get Rex to cast you some parts.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...nt-will-2.html
Old 10-04-2014, 07:05 AM
fsciorelli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really hoping for a miracle that someone will produce a M3 Grant to go up against the DAK Pz III I'm planning to build
Old 10-04-2014, 07:18 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm with you Frank, it's the nest BIG THING to come out for WWII stuff.

Then there's the Lee too!

Jeff
Old 10-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Max-U52

The hull is a Sherman with VVSS, right? I'd have to do the top hull from a kitbash or from scratch, right? Of course, Rex has probably already done two of them. I'm thinking they should come out with the lower hull for the Imex Sherman, just like the T-34, so I'm thinkin' it over. Never tried a scratchbuild before, maybe it's time. Any tips, ideas, suggestions, rude comments, propositions from pretty girls, etc, etc, etc. Thanks in advance, guys. I really want to do an E8, and that means the Tamiya kit but it would be cool to be able to do something with this new Sherman from Imex. Has anyone else seen that flick, Sahara, with Humphrey Bogart circa 1943? Tank was named Lullubelle? M3 Lee.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	m3-lee_9.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2037084  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Panther F

Yes, yes, yes and yes. (I think that's too many yes's but oh well)

Actually you should use the earlier VVSS with the return roller only and no arms.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Max-U52

Thanks Jeff. I'll have to get Erik in on this. I'm sure I can count on a bit of help just so him and Bill can see the build. Erik's always saying that's one of his favorite things, watching what guys do with variations. I just wonder how long it will be before I can get a Sherman hull. But wait, is the new Mato gonna have that suspension?
Old 10-05-2014, 01:16 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I've just bought a lee arv, looking forward to detailing it up!
Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 AM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by tomhugill
I've just bought a lee arv, looking forward to detailing it up!
Come on now, Tom, don't be a tease ... Tell us more!! Brand? Scale? Is it R/C? What kind of hull? I could ask a million more questions, but you get the drift ... What did that funny bald chick in the first star trek movie keep sayin'? Divulge the information!!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was a kid and I saw the movie Sahara - with Bogart, it had an incredible effect on me that lasted all of my life. I started to build Lulubelle with the thought of making a diorama of that desert oasis waterhole. When I realized how big it would be, and that I would be covering the tank with sand, I decided to just build an M3 Grant with a British desert camo paint job. That was in 2004. A short time later I got the urge to build a cast hull M3 Grant like the ones that showed up in the relief column at the end of the movie. Since then I have been able to watch that movie with both tanks on my lap ..........some guys never grow up, they just get older.

I don't know what could be used for a conversion into a Lee or Grant without a heck of a lot of scratch building.

Here's what I started with for the riveted hull and cast hull projects.

Name:	P9190004.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2037402   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180017.JPG
Views:	883
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	2037403   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180014.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	2037404   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA030003.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	2037405   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9190008.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	2037406  
Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Max-U52

Hey Rex, I'm really glad you chimed in, I was hoping you would. Those photos are great, and I've been studyin' them. I need to study them some more. Did you ever do the Lullubelle, and what's different between her and the two in these amazing photos you posted? I'm thinking she was the riveted version, but didn't she have the turret like the cast version? Wow, I haven't even started and I'm all confused all ready! That's why I need to study and think for a few days before I open my mouth.

I sure would like to see more photos of the build if you feel like posting them.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Max
The M3 in Rex's pics - the closest one is the US turret version with MG cupola, the further one is the British turret with radio facilities, but no MG cupola. I think the Grant was US, Lee the Brit, but may have that backwards.

Mal
Old 10-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Panther F

BOTH Grant and Lee are US made tanks, but the British altered it for their use and called it the Grant.

Jeff
Old 10-05-2014, 04:47 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Jeff
Hmm, guess I should have Googled it to check, but that always feels like cheating

Mal
Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 PM
Max-U52

OK, Rex, this is why I was confused -

This has the rivet upper hull like yours, but with the mini turret from the cast version, right? Is this Hollywood? Even if it is, this would be a very cool tank to build. I think I might be able to make the hull from sheet styrene, but I'm not so sure about that mini turret. Your is cast from resin? Have you taken a good look at the new hulls from mato and taigen? I think they might work for this, but I don't have your experience. I wonder how long it will take Imex to bring the lower hull to market. The T-34 was within a month of initial release, right? I'll also have to find out if mato is gonna sell the lower hull separately for their Sherman.

Name:	lullubelle m3 Lee.jpg
Views:	1972
Size:	476.8 KB
ID:	2037547  
Old 10-05-2014, 05:50 PM
Rex Ross

Originally Posted by maxu52
OK, Rex, this is why I was confused -

This has the rivet upper hull like yours, but with the mini turret from the cast version, right? Is this Hollywood? Even if it is, this would be a very cool tank to build. I think I might be able to make the hull from sheet styrene, but I'm not so sure about that mini turret. Your is cast from resin? Have you taken a good look at the new hulls from mato and taigen? I think they might work for this, but I don't have your experience. I wonder how long it will take Imex to bring the lower hull to market. The T-34 was within a month of initial release, right? I'll also have to find out if mato is gonna sell the lower hull separately for their Sherman.
~~~~~~~

The M3 Lee was the US version of that tank. It was produced as a riveted hull, a welded hull and a lengthened version. There were a few different models made .... just like the Shermans. The US tank had a small a cast turret with a 37mm cannon, and a small machine gun turret was on top as shown in the photo. The British version, which was named the Grant, also had a cast turret but It didn't have the small m.g. turret. The British turret was longer and wider to accommodate radio gear and stuff. The cast hull M3 Lee never saw combat. It was used in the US as a training tank, in the desert mostly. Only about 300 were made. A cast hull took days to cool down before machining and installing everything and that took a lot longer than the riveted and welded hulls. My turrets and hulls are resin. I wish the Mato hull, track and VVSS suspension had been available 20 years ago. That would have saved me a bunch of work (and $$$ )on all of my Tamiya conversions.
Rex
Old 10-05-2014, 11:44 PM
tomhugill

Here you go max:
I can't take any credit, it's a scratch build on the mato Sherman chassis

Old 10-06-2014, 05:35 AM
Rex Ross

Nice recovery vehicle !!

I like it !!

Scratch Builders Rule !!!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Max-U52

Hey Tom, that's a really great lookin' tank. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Rex, That resin riveted upper hull looks like just what I need. Can you cast another one of those, and if so, would you be willing to cast one and sell it to me? No hurry, I'm sure the imex lower hull won't be available till well after Christmas, and who knows how long it will take me to buy one and get started on the project, but it would be great to have that great resin piece waiting in the wings for when I get ready. I still want to pick up a tammy sherman to do the E8, too, but time is one thing I have. So what do you think, Rex? Can you get me started down the road?
Old 10-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Rex Ross

Maxu52 ...

I did not cast the riveted hull for the M3 Lee that I built. I bought it about 25 years ago from Mike McCauley, a guy who was known as Mad Max, and his trademark was Maxtrax. I don't think he is still doing resin castings. At any rate, I think I would have been better off totally building the upper hull from scratch. I wish I could help you, but I never build anything with the thought that someone else might benefit from something I make.
Rex
Old 10-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Max-U52

Originally Posted by Rex Ross
... I never build anything with the thought that someone else might benefit from something I make.
I read you loud and clear. That's my bad and it won't happen again.

Tom, I can't get over how cool those photos are. Is that tank an IR fighter? I've heard about a repair aspect in R/C battles, but I don't know anything about it. It sounds pretty interesting, though.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Gary! I just missed you! I'll be back in the office tomorrow, hit me up early. The Sherman chassis will be here at the same time as the tanks
Old 10-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Max-U52

Just missed you again, Bud. Talk to ya in the mornin'.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:54 PM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by maxu52
I read you loud and clear. That's my bad and it won't happen again.

Tom, I can't get over how cool those photos are. Is that tank an IR fighter? I've heard about a repair aspect in R/C battles, but I don't know anything about it. It sounds pretty interesting, though.
Hey max, my plan is to get it running nicely, maybe metal suspension, tracks and gearboxes . Will be adding an ibu 2 so I can use the repair mode. I can also make the winch fully functional!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Max-U52

When it's in repair mode can it still take and deliver hits? That would be something to see. Not just a fighting recovery vehicle, one with some serious firepower. I really hope you'll post photos, I'll be watching closely, How's the Tiger coming?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.