Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Clark tk-22 setup and programming

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Clark tk-22 setup and programming

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:29 AM
Brandon.c

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clark tk-22 setup and programming

Just recieved this board and plug the connectors as the instructions show.
I don't have movement sounds or start up sound, the tank comes on straight away, also don't have left turn and right turn.
Im using my turnigy 9x. Can someone help please?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:42 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First thing I absolutely hate Turnigy's setup, listing channels 1-4 instead of Aileron, Rudder etc. Makes everything harder. So you have to sort of which channel is actually which, and make sure you've wired the corresponding plugs on the TK board to your receiver. There won't be a start up sound until you get that right, and I do it as per Clark's instructions so that on the left stick DOWN and LEFT start the engine sounds.. so rudder and throttle channels. You also need to have a volume controller actually plugged in for sounds to work, if you haven't already. Is your receiver lighting up with power applied? That's step one.. make sure the board is powered. You also need a jumper (Preferably) or a switch in the SWITCH plug.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:25 AM
Brandon.c

Thanks mate! I currently have the board set up as (RX)-(TK) ch 1 to ch1, ch2 to ch2 and so on. I have my TX on mode 2. The current functions That are as they come for me are turret turn left and right on rudder, turret fire with throttle down. Machine gun fire with throttle up and left. Engine on with throttle up and to the right. Elevator stick is back and forth movement. Ailerons don't turn the tank. Also the engine sound doesn't increase in power when throttle is applied. One last note is I have that yellow plug thingy still in on the board.
what I would like is For the Tank to turn on with a switch as I would like turret elevation on the left throttle stick.

Edit: I have it setup like you mentioned but the tank doesn't turn and the engine sound doesn't increase when throttle is applied.

Last edited by Brandon.c; 09-27-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:31 AM
CaptainB

Hi Brandon - welcome to the difficult world of Clark setup - actually it isn't that bad but will take a while for you to learn. Strato is correct - follow that advice and also check the orientation of the leads coming out of the Clark Board as all the ones I have installed have the leads back to front. I reversed mine at the RX end.Make sure you have the Sony IR programmer handy and the LED set-up lead plus Clarks website instructions. Read them carefully and follow the instructions to make sure the board is initially set up correctly for your application e.g. airsoft or IR, momentum on, hull recoil on/off, servo recoil if used and a ton of other optional stuff.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

CaptB
Old 09-27-2016, 06:45 AM
Strato50

It seems like you have most of the tricky stuff for first timers out of the way. It's MUCH easier to drive with your right thumb and turn as you have it set up, but having everything on 3 channels working but no steering on Aileron seems very odd to me, double check that wiring from the board to receiver. The yellow plug is fine as a switch, as I always use an external switch to cut the BATTERY line. I don't trust live power always being on the board when a battery is hooked up.. and I've had them "leak" and kill batteries within hours.The engine sounds confound me because if your tank is moving at all the sounds should correspond.As for the elevation it'l be difficult to arrange as you have asked. Normally it's halfway up (or down, depending on what you have reversed.. for you it'd be DOWN) and left - right on your left stick for elevation. This is the circumstances of controlling a complicated vehicle like a tank with only 4 channels, combinations have to be made. I've set up trims and limits on my Spektrum to switch my CANNON to a button I've installed, which also allows me to move elevation to full UP + Left / Right... makes things VERY simple for turret control... but on a Turnigy I don't even know if that is possible. Keep carefully experimenting and let us know what you find... your steering issue sounds funny as does the sound *No pun intended..* Does it not steer while in forward motion? Do you have the programming remote? It's not necessary but comes in handy.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM
Scaleman3

Sent you a PM CaptainB
Old 09-27-2016, 07:06 AM
Brandon.c

I've just figured out the turret elevation which is with the left stick 1 line up from centre to the left but it gives off a high pitch noise while doing so. So far I have everything here for now except increase in engine rpm sound, left and right turn and bb fire. I will have to get a remote to programs this properly as its kind of frustrating.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Brandon.c

Figured out why my tank won't turn. The aileron stick isn't reacting and won't work. Is there a setting that I can turn it on?
EDIT: scratch the last one. aileron is working but im not having any turning movement at all or increase in rpm sound either still.
any suggestions?

Last edited by Brandon.c; 09-27-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Brandon.c

Another update. I do have turning and rpm engine increase but not static turning. Might have to get a better speaker sound system.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Green Amphibian

Originally Posted by Strato50
It seems like you have most of the tricky stuff for first timers out of the way. It's MUCH easier to drive with your right thumb and turn as you have it set up, but having everything on 3 channels working but no steering on Aileron seems very odd to me, double check that wiring from the board to receiver. The yellow plug is fine as a switch, as I always use an external switch to cut the BATTERY line. I don't trust live power always being on the board when a battery is hooked up.. and I've had them "leak" and kill batteries within hours.The engine sounds confound me because if your tank is moving at all the sounds should correspond.As for the elevation it'l be difficult to arrange as you have asked. Normally it's halfway up (or down, depending on what you have reversed.. for you it'd be DOWN) and left - right on your left stick for elevation. This is the circumstances of controlling a complicated vehicle like a tank with only 4 channels, combinations have to be made. I've set up trims and limits on my Spektrum to switch my CANNON to a button I've installed, which also allows me to move elevation to full UP + Left / Right... makes things VERY simple for turret control... but on a Turnigy I don't even know if that is possible. Keep carefully experimenting and let us know what you find... your steering issue sounds funny as does the sound *No pun intended..* Does it not steer while in forward motion? Do you have the programming remote? It's not necessary but comes in handy.
Can you inform me on how to change the cannon to a push button on a spektrum DX6i? I need to do this for my Hetzer with a TK22 board in it.
Herman
Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Strato50

Originally Posted by Green Amphibian
Can you inform me on how to change the cannon to a push button on a spektrum DX6i? I need to do this for my Hetzer with a TK22 board in it.
Herman
I posted about the mods and radio setup I did for it sometime last year, I'll dig it up if I can. Short version is that I installed 2 push button switches on the left side of my radio and wired them into the 3 position switch on the DX6, basically making it fully up or fully down as far as the radio is concerned.

Then I set up the radio to limit throttle UP to about 75%... so now full up-stick and left-right is turret elevation as far as the Clark board knows!! Once that was working I just programmed the 3 way switch to simulate the positions of CANNON FIRE (full up throttle) and MG FIRE (Down and Left). As it works now I can fire the MG and CANNON via the buttons on the rear, or with the switch which still works.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:26 AM
Brandon.c

This is really confusing me! Can anyone take a picture of their clark board please. I'm thinking that I am unable to do a static turn in the tank is to do with a setting maybe on the TX.
Again another update. I have figured out the static turn which is assigned to the right stick, right and up turns right and left and up turn left etc. is there a way to change it to turn with the aileron stick?

Last edited by Brandon.c; 09-28-2016 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM
Strato50

Easiest way is to reverse the AILERON channel on your radio, that's assuming your UP is moving the tank forward and DOWN reverse of course! When setting up a new tank or going from 3:1 gears to 4:1 gears sometimes it takes a bit of figuring out whats going on, especially when you have gun recoil in the tracks... often you have to get out the soldering iron and flip the polarity on the motors directly. ALSO... the default setting on Clark boards is to allow static turns. I hate this feature mainly because for some reason... while at full speed the board will throw the inside track (which is dead slow or stopped during a turn) into FULL reverse. Ouch! Not good for the gearboxes. So I sacrifice neutral steering for more controllable tanks. Really that only affects Panthers and Tigers historically anyway
Old 09-28-2016, 08:44 AM
Brandon.c

Originally Posted by Strato50
Easiest way is to reverse the AILERON channel on your radio, that's assuming your UP is moving the tank forward and DOWN reverse of course! When setting up a new tank or going from 3:1 gears to 4:1 gears sometimes it takes a bit of figuring out whats going on, especially when you have gun recoil in the tracks... often you have to get out the soldering iron and flip the polarity on the motors directly. ALSO... the default setting on Clark boards is to allow static turns. I hate this feature mainly because for some reason... while at full speed the board will throw the inside track (which is dead slow or stopped during a turn) into FULL reverse. Ouch! Not good for the gearboxes. So I sacrifice neutral steering for more controllable tanks. Really that only affects Panthers and Tigers historically anyway
Yeah new to this part of the rc world so it's getting the hang of it. I currently already have the ailerons reversed but still no neutral turning with the aileron stick. I have to on the right stick go right then up or left to neutral turn. If I attempt to neutral turn I run into the risk of it just going forward.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Shorty54

I just checked my tanks. None of my Clark, Tamiya, or BARC4 have neautral static turning. They all need just a touch of up or down stick movment.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:14 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BARC 4 has it if you have super spin on.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
BARC 4 has it if you have super spin on.
Good to know, I have it turned off on all my tanks. Maybe Clark has it too then, but I have it disabled.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 AM
Brandon.c

With the rx18 you were able to turn on the spot using the aileron stick. If I was to upgrade my firmware to the tanker9x, would I be able to do this?
Old 09-28-2016, 12:09 PM
TheBennyB

Originally Posted by Shorty54
Good to know, I have it turned off on all my tanks. Maybe Clark has it too then, but I have it disabled.
yea, I go back and forth with it on the Luchs. With it off I have sluggish steering at speeds, with it on it's tad too touchy at low speeds.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Brandon.c
With the rx18 you were able to turn on the spot using the aileron stick. If I was to upgrade my firmware to the tanker9x, would I be able to do this?

I cant help you much,
I never ran my stock electronics. I pulled them out right away and installed the Clark.
What Tank are you putting this in? What is the reason for having static turning? I dont think you would get any
engine rev sound while turning in neutral?? I know on all my tanks, it takes very little forward or reverse input to turn.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Brandon.c

The clark is in my taigen Panther G. I just like to have it there for realism and for not having to turn while going forward if need be. I can live with it, it's just pretty difficult to turn inside the house as the turning arch is pretty wide.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Shorty54

try moving full left or right first, while holding that position start moving the stick forward or reverse just to see how much input it needs to move. Mine is just a touch off neutral and it starts turning. Im running 4:1 V2 gearboxes too so that might help also.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:43 PM
TheBennyB

Looked at the manual online and you may want to see what mixer mode setting your at.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Strato50

Clark boards don't super spin the way RX-18s do, full left - right does nothing but tell the board you're about to enter a neutral steer. You then need to go UP or DOWN from full LEFT/RIGHT to enter the spin. Anyhoo I disable that right away.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Shorty54

I believe TK22 stock setup was mixer mode set to pivot turn (super spin). Without a programming remote you wont be able to change it or even check it?? Strato is correct on the super spin, it has to be in forward or reverse. I didnt like it, it was too unpredictable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.