Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Truggy
Reload this Page >

Brushless Truggy pictures and discussion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Truggy Trucks and buggies together make a truggy. Discuss all things truggy right here.

Brushless Truggy pictures and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM
rschoi_75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brushless Truggy pictures and discussion

^ The motor has a built in heat sink.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:07 PM
DS

What do you mean those esc have all or o brake? You cant program them?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 PM
rschoi_75

ORIGINAL: st1_racer

What do you mean those esc have all or o brake? You cant program them?
He means that airplane esc's don't have a linear braking funtion... since there's no need for one. Its 100% stop or nothing. Most people use mechanical brakes if using a plane esc in a land based vehicle.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:01 AM
bhcvc

Another reason to go with the MM.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 AM
DS

I will just use mechanical brake, anyway d ohave to get the program card to program it?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Nordy

For anyone using the MMM setup for racing conditions I would reccomend going with a mechanical brake system, I have adjusted my MMM to 10% braking and it's still fierce and makes my 8T nose dive whilst locking all 4 wheels up. The options on the MMM are incredible when using the castle link with a laptop, I must admit I had no idea of the full potential of this thing until I installed it and ran it.

I can't wait to try out my 14.8v and 18.5v lipos later this week when they arrive
Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sup all, I haven't pulled out my truggy since my twins were born but electric sounds different even though I still like the smell of nitro in the morning.

Questions for those who've raced with electric:

What's the avg cost of decent batteries that give 15 min run times with close to nitro racing speed?

What are your recharge times for your hi C rated batteries? I know a123 systems you can recharge batteries at high amp rates but they're expensive and heavy...any batteries close to the a123 recharge rates? I'm asking cause it sounds like if you bring 4 good battery packs to the track on race day you can just keep recharging them relatively quickly other wise just bring 8 packs keep topped off

What's the maintenance and cost on brushless engines vs. nitro engines? I can assume that it would be lower cause of less moving parts, still not as loud and aromatic as nitro but I can see myself moving away from nitro if electric is whoopin butt on the track and I can cut the time I spend on maintenance etc.

Comparable price? What's the price of a good electric system vs a good nitro? I ask cause most tricks you don't need a V-Spec II with pipe to win on race day. I'd like to get back to the local track and race every now and then but if I switch to electric I want a decent chance at winning.

Thank you in advance for your replys
Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 PM
bhcvc

I haven't raced my BL truggy, but hope I can answer some of your questions:

- batteries - there's so many options here, not just in brands like there is w/ nitro, but in voltages and capacities. Because BL is quite efficient relative to brushed, the can get good runtimes even with small packs. On a track where you're not full throttle all the time (actually very minimal time at full throttle), even a relatively small 3000-3600mAh pack will get you 20-30 minutes of runtime. Bashing will get you less runtime since you're going full throttle a higher percentage of the time. A decent 3000-3600mAh pack will run $40-$80 for 4s. Less for lower voltage (2s, 3s), more for higher voltage (5s, 6s)

- don't need a123 batts. any decent LiPo will be fine.

- maintenance & cleanup - just oil the bearings, and that's about it. No gooey mess to clean up off the suspension, wheels, etc. anything that's near the muffler. No need to worry aboyt scorching your hand if you need to touch near the motor (they can get hot but not that hot).

- good brushless setup
-A decent low budget setup is a Castle Mamba Max w/ a chinese motor (Feigao, KD/KB, Turnigy, etc.). The chinese motors aren't as efficient as the higher end motors, so you give up a bit of runtime & power to heat, but they can be extremely fast & powerful. Cost is about $190 - $220 for ESC, Motor, & UBEC.
-A very good & powerful setup that costs a bit more is the Castle Mamba Monster Max w/ Castle/Neu motor. Costs about $300, but the motor is much more efficient & the MMM ESC is beefier (can handle more current) than the MM ESC. I don't think you'd need more power than this to be competitive.

A good feature of electric motors is they deliver near full torque at near zero rpms, unlike engines that must build torque as rpms climb.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:02 PM
erh7771
My Feedback: (30)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't raced my BL truggy, but hope I can answer some of your questions:

- batteries - there's so many options here, not just in brands like there is w/ nitro, but in voltages and capacities. Because BL is quite efficient relative to brushed, the can get good runtimes even with small packs. On a track where you're not full throttle all the time (actually very minimal time at full throttle), even a relatively small 3000-3600mAh pack will get you 20-30 minutes of runtime. Bashing will get you less runtime since you're going full throttle a higher percentage of the time. A decent 3000-3600mAh pack will run $40-$80 for 4s. Less for lower voltage (2s, 3s), more for higher voltage (5s, 6s)...
Cool, what about weight for the higher cell batteries? does it cause major runtime or balance issues?

- don't need a123 batts. any decent LiPo will be fine.
What about recharge times for the rest of the line of LiPos?

Can the battery packs be bulk charged fast and then balanced (like in 10 mins) or is it a matter of bringing 4 - 6 of em on race day?

- maintenance & cleanup - just oil the bearings, and that's about it. No gooey mess to clean up off the suspension, wheels, etc. anything that's near the muffler. No need to worry aboyt scorching your hand if you need to touch near the motor (they can get hot but not that hot).
nice !!!!

I'll keep a Nitro around but just for the sound and smell

- good brushless setup
-A decent low budget setup is a Castle Mamba Max w/ a chinese motor (Feigao, KD/KB, Turnigy, etc.). The chinese motors aren't as efficient as the higher end motors, so you give up a bit of runtime & power to heat, but they can be extremely fast & powerful. Cost is about $190 - $220 for ESC, Motor, & UBEC.
-A very good & powerful setup that costs a bit more is the Castle Mamba Monster Max w/ Castle/Neu motor. Costs about $300, but the motor is much more efficient & the MMM ESC is beefier (can handle more current) than the MM ESC. I don't think you'd need more power than this to be competitive.
So the decent set ups don't cost any more than a good nitro engine and the LiPos don't cost any MORE than a couple of gallons of gas...

A good feature of electric motors is they deliver near full torque at near zero rpms, unlike engines that must build torque as rpms climb.
Hmmm that sounds like you can run with a low tooth gear on the motor to get more top speed, does this make the motor or ESC burn up faster or are they pretty rugged.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

Hey guys i know this is a truggy forum but this is the only place that i have seen people who know this much about brushless so i wanted your help. I have a RC10T4 and a mamba max 7700 and it always seems to cog alot and i think it is due to the fact that my batteries have insufficient power and i want to step up to a lipo but i can only get 2s for the 7700 so i thought i should get a lower kv motor. i was looking at these because they are a good price but do they work good. and for a 1/10 electric st would i get the large sized one. and what is a good lipo for this setup.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM
bhcvc

erh7771:

- weight - I run a pack on each side, but most members here run 1 large pack on one side and don't seem to have problems. If you want, you can run a pack on each side, i.e. 2x2s = 4s, or 2x3s = 6s

- charge times are similar to NiMH, usually rates are about 1C, so about 1hr. It's best to bring multiple packs as you should let then cool a bit before re-charging them.

- yeah, taller gearing for more top speed, but you will draw more current.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:42 PM
DS

Well here is my setup i think im going with
- Mamba Monster Max combo 2200kv

****NOW, im stuck deciding whether to go 4s 5000mah or 5s 5000mah? What do you guys reccmend, If igo 4s i could get 2 batterys*****
Old 12-19-2008, 12:54 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: hakmazter

Caster sport buggy has been out for 3 months. Caster rtr and pro just arrived 2 weeks ago and we sold out of the pros already. There are more pros in the air as we speak.

We dropped electric for a moment to release the new zx1.5r buggy and it is in the air also.....

Truggy will be released I would guess Jan 15 at the latest. I am waiting for a reply right now.

I have pictures........
You got pics? Can you post them? I am anxious to see them. I know Dustin (Fusion) made a Brushless K8T but never saw pics of it.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Matt (12 year old rc fanatic)

anyone have any input?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Nordy

I just put in my 14.8v into my 8T today and it instantly flips on its roof!!!!

I wouldn't reccomend anything more than 14.8v 4 cell Lipo, a single battery is more than enough HP for the MMM & Neu 2200 combo!
Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Shark413

Here is my truggy, I converted it about 5 months ago and it has been fast reliable and one of the best handling truggies I have every driven. Kyosho ST-RR converted to brushless, TeknoNeu 1515/1Y, Mamba Monster Max, NeuEnergy 4s lipo, custom battery tray, using front disc brake and rear motor brake, Robinson 48T steel spur, custom brake servo mount.

Next to my brushless E-Revo

Current version using only front mechanical brakes.

An older version that uses front and back mechanical brakes.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Nordy

I took the 8T to the track today since going Brushless and I have realized I have to rebuilt my diff's as the Brushless is pushing way too much power through it and the only to control it is by power sliding

Any reccomendations on which level diff fluid to use in the front and rear?

Awesome on the track, it jumped the furthest out of all the cars on the big jumps.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM
hakmazter

OK here is one. New tires also by the way.........big bore shocks.....7075 aluminum.......lots of 1.5r stuff.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64594.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1098618  
Old 12-29-2008, 06:17 AM
vedardo

the mamba monster 2200kv combo is sick its hella fast on 4s and crazy on 5s you dont even want to try it on 6s i have the combo in my mbx5t converted i will post a pic of it soon
Old 12-29-2008, 08:25 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: hakmazter

OK here is one. New tires also by the way.........big bore shocks.....7075 aluminum.......lots of 1.5r stuff.........
Cool! Been wanting to see a pic of the first purpose built brushless truggy! At least the tires are usable now compared to old ones on the K8T.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:33 PM
vedardo

here are pics of my converted cars

1. mugen mbx5t electric with mamba monster combo with 2200kv ,hitec 5955tg spektrum ,micro receiver ,xtreme racing silver carbon plates ,rcnctek motor mount conversion and bearing plate and custom shock towers ,mugen mbx6 big bores (http://www.rcnctek.com/) losi battery tray

2. rc8 buggy electric rc products design ea8 with losi tray and neu 1515 2.5d 1700kv ,mamba monster esc ,5s lipo, king heads and m2c hop ups ,hitec hs 5645mg servo , spektrum pro receiver

3. traxxas e-revo with vxl brushless system 3500kv , rpm arms , 2x 2s lipo team checkpoint 5400mah hitec 645mg servo

4.kyosho st-rr electric with bce chassis and rcnctek motor mount ,dragon racing spindles , hitec 645 mg servo ,kmw big bores 15.5mm ,no motor or esc, tekno battery tray

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM
bhcvc

vedardo - for your VXL setup, are you running the 2x 2s in series or parallel? If in series, that's 51800rpm off 14.8V!...isn't that too much? Does it get hot? Does the VXL motor provide enough torque to really get the E-Revo moving? It's one of those "smaller" BL motors that people tend to not recommend for 1/8 scale. I'm curious how it handles it.
Also, any comments on the VXL ESC? I've read reliability issues with it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 PM
vedardo

TO BHCVC it works get revo at agood speed but not as fast as my truggy and it does get hot i was using it once on 5s with when i had it nitro with tekno conversion but with my mamba monster v3 utill i converted my buggy and i got hella hot but its good on 4s you just got to get the gearing right
Old 12-30-2008, 01:12 AM
bhcvc

verdardo - I thought the VXL ESC could only handle 3s max? How are you running 4s on the ESC?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 AM
vedardo

to bhcvc it only handle that but you can run it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.