Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Byron AT-6 Build /Rebuild

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Byron AT-6 Build /Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 AM
mrwad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Byron AT-6 Build /Rebuild

Hey there, Warbird 1,

I'm building the Top Flite AT-6 and was wondering..........Will a Saito 100 be enough or should I go to a 1.25 ? What do you guy's think ?? [sm=confused.gif]

Don
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrwad

Hey there, Warbird 1,

I'm building the Top Flite AT-6 and was wondering..........Will a Saito 100 be enough or should I go to a 1.25 ? What do you guy's think ?? [sm=confused.gif]

Don
What does the kit recommend...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

One would hate to see a model crash from a discovered problem corrected poorly

The Byron AT 6 you are building is going to come in at around 20lbs or more properly CG'ed. At the time these were put out, engines were not nearly as powerful as they are today and linkage like Byron's could support the model at that time.

However, today's engine are going to put more loads on this linkage set up, and from the geometry shown in your pic, they will flutter or fail to lift the nose when needed. Wire off carbon rod is too long, it will bend, carbon is useless in this configuration.

With such a large hollow composite fuse, I would do what has always worked for me and my buddies to minimize any failure and play in the linkage.

If I knew how to link a pic from a post as an example of what I did for my CMP 109, I would do it. But if you are interested, I think on page 14 of that old and long build thread, I have a pic of my elevator set up. In your case you could use 2 servos working together. Also it conceals the linkage.

Just my 2Cents

Steve
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

ORIGINAL: mrwad

Hey there, Warbird 1,

Don
What does the kit recommend...
i believe the question was to me , thanks ,....... i think a 100 would be more than enough. if it's the one i'm thinking of, it is a .60 size right? the 100 would be good. i however am not a fan of wire gear on that plane and would contact robart about a set of gear with oleo struts if it's within your budget. i also saw that they now have small 4-strokes that run on gas. i think that's awesome. you can't beat the reliability of a gas engine. hope this helps , WB-1
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

Hi

The Byron AT 6 you are building is going to come in at around 20lbs or more properly CG'ed. At the time these were put out, engines were not nearly as powerful as they are today and linkage like Byron's could support the model at that time.

However, today's engine are going to put more loads on this linkage set up, and from the geometry shown in your pic, they will flutter or fail to lift the nose when needed. Wire off carbon rod is too long, it will bend, carbon is useless in this configuration.

With such a large hollow composite fuse, I would do what has always worked for me and my buddies to minimize any failure and play in the linkage.

If I knew how to link a pic from a post as an example of what I did for my CMP 109, I would do it. But if you are interested, I think on page 14 of that old and long build thread, I have a pic of my elevator set up. In your case you could use 2 servos working together. Also it conceals the linkage.

Just my 2Cents

Steve
i have to totally disagree with that. first... you will never get this plane built for under 25-30 lbs. the prototype took 14 oz. of nose weight just to get it to balance. my corsair took 3-4 lbs in the cowl to get it to balance . and that was building light. these build heavy because of the short noses. the carbon fiber rods i have are very rigid and they are only 14" long "about" . they have a straight run to the servo so there is no flex . funny thing is byron calls for a g-62 and 48 oz. or higher servos!! i don't think high toque servos even came out till the late 90's . if you think this is scary , you should see the way ziroli did things back in the day.... 1/4 " hardwood dowels. i used them and they worked!! i sometimes think some planes are over servoed if you understand the phrase.
i mean 300 oz. servo's on small jet surfaces. i can't beleive there could be that much load on a small surface. i think it's more because they are so precise in traveling and movement .
The following users liked this post:
pacoflyer (10-15-2021)
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
warbird_1

guys , changed the topic to reflect more on the build than problem solving. here's some pics of her engine setup . keep in mine so things i changed and some not . story is i bought this from a third party . the original builder passed away from cancer and i picked it up " like i said" third hand so i'm redoing somethings that were done and continuing on with the build . i'll post earlier pics soon. yes, that funny looking cloth near the formers is drywall tape , yes , drywall tape. i took a small media blaster to all the glassed areas to make sure i had a clean surface and re-glassed on both sides of the formers and redid them all. it's rock solid now. it's one of those things you find out after you buy something. fuse was painted so i had no idea it was like that. speaking of paint , here's a pic of me removing the paint. lot's of paint
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26532.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	1572653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23544.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	1572654   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18587.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1572655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke92100.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	1572656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb37666.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	1572657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92128.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1572658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86695.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1572659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39088.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1572660  

Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: MarkShapiro

Here is your solution pictured: This is my Byron T-28, but the plans recommended the same push rod set up. I hate long push rods. Disaster waiting to happen. Took a little work, but well worth the effort. Rudder is on standard pull-pull.
mark , i was going to do just that. wish i had now. good job
Old 03-04-2011, 08:48 AM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

Hi

Just my 2Cents

Steve
i have to totally disagree with that. first... you will never get this plane built for under 25-30 lbs. the prototype took 14 oz. of nose weight just to get it to balance. my corsair took 3-4 lbs in the cowl to get it to balance . and that was building light. these build heavy because of the short noses. the carbon fiber rods i have are very rigid and they are only 14'' long ''about'' . they have a straight run to the servo so there is no flex . funny thing is byron calls for a g-62 and 48 oz. or higher servos!! i don't think high toque servos even came out till the late 90's . if you think this is scary , you should see the way ziroli did things back in the day.... 1/4 '' hardwood dowels. i used them and they worked!! i sometimes think some planes are over servoed if you understand the phrase.
i mean 300 oz. servo's on small jet surfaces. i can't beleive there could be that much load on a small surface. i think it's more because they are so precise in traveling and movement .

So you disagree that my estimate Cg'ed properly would be 20lbs or more. 25lbs-30 is over 20lbs..?? I have seen the same models have variations in weight by 10lbs. Not unheard of.

Geometry of the current linkage would be a concern . Just turn on your radio and push to load the rod/wire set up. That will give you an idea. That's pretty much will determine it.

I agree on your statement about the servos. Truly over kill. I would prefer a servo with no slop oppose to a servo that is over rated with slop.

A structural engineer once told me the the difference between a good engineer and a bad one is, the bad one over engineers. I might be a bad one.

Steve
Old 03-09-2011, 07:15 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

What a fun project. Making great strides. I have seen a scale muffler that woud suit that plane and engine wonderfuly.

Name:	Wu60816.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1575935  
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: TheEdge

What a fun project. Making great strides. I have seen a scale muffler that woud suit that plane and engine wonderfuly.

edge , are you referring to your muffler in the pic?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 AM
TheEdge
Banned

That is correct
Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: TheEdge

That is correct
great setup but loud. i'm sure the clubs around here would love that lol
Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 AM
warbird_1

Hi

Just my 2Cents

Steve
i have to totally disagree with that. first... you will never get this plane built for under 25-30 lbs. the prototype took 14 oz. of nose weight just to get it to balance. my corsair took 3-4 lbs in the cowl to get it to balance . and that was building light. these build heavy because of the short noses. the carbon fiber rods i have are very rigid and they are only 14'' long ''about'' . they have a straight run to the servo so there is no flex . funny thing is byron calls for a g-62 and 48 oz. or higher servos!! i don't think high toque servos even came out till the late 90's . if you think this is scary , you should see the way ziroli did things back in the day.... 1/4 '' hardwood dowels. i used them and they worked!! i sometimes think some planes are over servoed if you understand the phrase.

So you disagree that my estimate Cg'ed properly would be 20lbs or more. 25lbs-30 is over 20lbs..?? I have seen the same models have variations in weight by 10lbs. Not unheard of.

Geometry of the current linkage would be a concern . Just turn on your radio and push to load the rod/wire set up. That will give you an idea. That's pretty much will determine it.

I agree on your statement about the servos. Truly over kill. I would prefer a servo with no slop oppose to a servo that is over rated with slop.

A structural engineer once told me the the difference between a good engineer and a bad one is, the bad one over engineers. I might be a bad one.

Steve
i'm only talking about the byron weighing in at MORE than 20 lbs. never happen i built a ziroli p-40 all up flying weight dry was 26 lbs and that was built out of balsa and ply only. even that was unheard of really for that plane. it surprised me and everyone else
Old 03-09-2011, 08:19 AM
TheEdge
Banned

Some wire wool placed inside the flex hose works well at baffling that obnoxious sound.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:45 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...yes, that funny looking cloth near the formers is drywall tape , yes , drywall tape...

Re that drywall tape, it is fiberglass with a light tack to one side to hold it in place. I have used it and it has worked well for me. It does take some filling to smooth it out, but no more than full weave glass cloth. How did it work for that application?

Regards, Richard
Old 06-12-2012, 02:58 PM
warbird_1

OK ... nothing like better late than never. a lot has gone on since i started this thread over a year ago. The plane since has been finished and flown within the last two weeks. a quick rundown on the flight before getting back to the finish work. while setting up the g-62 i installed a velocity stack on the carb . i did some engine testing and thought i was good to go. well on the first flight i found out differently . Take off was perfect no trim required except some up elevator trim. I was having trouble getting good usable throttle control. part of the problem was setup adjustment and the other was inconstant throttle response. After flying around awhile i decided to attempt a landing practice approach. i decided to leave flaps up just in case i got to slow. As i approached the end of the runway the engine quit so i flew it down the runway till i got the mains on the ground and just let it run out into the tall weeds as i had a lot of speed left. if i would have tried to turn it i would most likely have caught one wing first and ripped it apart. so i hit the weeds and it slowed it down alot before it came up on the nose and over on it's back. i did break the canopy but that was it. for a 33 lbs. plane i was lucky. so i got it patched up and ran the engine again . all seemed good . so on the second flight the same thing happened , engine quit at the same spot but this time i had the flaps down so i was able to get it down with a few bounces. third flight that day started out with me removing the velocity stack . the engine ran perfect . i got a good flight in except for the landing was a little bouncy . after watching tons of full scale video's of t-6's landing i saw where my problem was. you need a high idle and a very steep approach with full flaps . last sunday i did just that and the landing was absolutely beautiful. so on to the build . i used klass cote paints. i found them a little unfriendly to use but i got though it. a piece of advice... use their thinner and primmer only ! i'll add pics as i got and give a rundown of things i changed . so here we go ...........>

Name:	Hf99644.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1771554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84647.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1771555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98363.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1771556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51458.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1771557  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
warbird_1

Here's the flap setup. after building the flaps per byron's instructions and using their materials i had a problem... the wood went nuts after sitting on my bench for 2 weeks. they warped bad so i called FTE and bought some g-10 material . it was heaver but much more stable so i used that . they came out good

Name:	Ec88180.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1771562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24815.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1771563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21128.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1771564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44037.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1771565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81692.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1771566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10488.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1771567  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 PM
warbird_1

here's the gear door setup. i also had to change it because i wasn't using byron's gear . i have robart 161 gear

Name:	Nl28759.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1771568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49524.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1771569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45886.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1771570  
Old 06-12-2012, 03:21 PM
warbird_1

more gear doors

Name:	Us54268.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1771571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80905.jpg
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1771572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx59914.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1771573  
Old 09-17-2013, 05:20 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by MarkShapiro
And the finished product: Not only is this a much better mechanical set up, there are no ugly push rods coming out of the fuselage sides. I hate that.
very nice
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 AM
warbird_1

ok , so i know this is an old thread but i thought i'd let you guys know that i did finish the plane last summer and only flew it a hand ful of times. i had a severe bounce issue which is common for scale AT-6's . i solved it by by changing the gear rake and moving the CG forward. She flys great. after some long hard thinking i decided to put her up for sale as i'm hot to find a yellow p-38 or p-40 kit. it turned out so nice i really hate to let her go ,but you can't have it all . here's the pics i had taken of here in flight and on the bench. enjoy WB_

Name:	265350_2111051903141_1450922082_2222211_3079352_o.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	1921614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00257.JPG
Views:	478
Size:	4.34 MB
ID:	1921615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00259.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	4.68 MB