Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 05:45 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF FW190 GIANT ARF

I do not have this Plane yet, need to finish off some other projects first, a quick question, how are the Wheels/Tires that come with this Plane, I am usualy not a fan of the Wheels that come with most ARF's and Top Flite Wheels for the most part are no exception, has anyone changed them out for more scale like wheels/tires, I would think that sources for more Scale Like FW190 Wheels are limited, I could be wrong, where would they be available from? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get plastic hubbed hard foam wheels in the box. Vogelsang Aeroscale has some nice scale wheels but you're gonna have to loosen your purse strings for them.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM
mike day
My Feedback: (4)

you can get some wheels from williams brothers for thirty five dollars. but your going to have paint them. and you wont have to loosen that purse.?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Ramstein44
My Feedback: (157)

+1
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: mike day

you can get some wheels from williams brothers for thirty five dollars. but your going to have paint them. and you wont have to loosen that purse.?
Williams Bros. FTW!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:43 PM
sharam
My Feedback: (2)

Which of the Williams Bros wheels fit best? I
am not that familiar with how the wheels should look.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

What paint would you recommend to use on the covering?
That's what I am trying to determine. I want to keep the covering too. It is a decent base theme that will allow some le-way as far as depicting several different color/marking schemes W/some airbrush work & graphics.

So far I have been told that water based acrylics will adhere W/some surface prep.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Ramstein44

On my Dora and this one, I'm using Valspar ultra-premium exterior flat finish latex . Then I cover it with Lustracote clear flat spray paint from Tower.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Ramstein44

On my Dora and this one, I'm using Valspar ultra-premium exterior flat finish latex . Then I cover it with Lustracote clear flat spray paint from Tower.
Aren't you painting over fiberglas?

I'm not stripping the monokote, just doing some airbrush work to make the color scheme a little more authentic & a bit different from the ARF scheme.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:12 PM
Ramstein44

On this one I have glassed it, but on my ESM Dora, it was fabric.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
kahloq

On my ESM Dora9, I merely used Model master's spray paint. Worked like a charm for the primer coats. Vertical Grimace helped with the camo colors and I had brought him Home Depot Baer exterior latex paint to use in his airbrush. Turned out quite well.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:23 AM
SrTelemaster150

So far, nobody has addressed painting over monocote.

I know that LustreKote is compatible, but the colors are very limited. They don't even make the flat olive drap anymore.

I have found water based acrylics that are available to match the olive drab as well as many other colors that would be useful.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Ramstein44

I guess the best thing to do since no one has addressed your concerns is to pull out some sample monocote and get to testing.[8D] I'd be interested as I may build another one of these and paint it.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've painted acrylics and enamels over monokote. Both work just fine.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: BobH

I've painted acrylics and enamels over monokote. Both work just fine.
Thank you.

What type of surface prep do you recommend? How about Scotch Brite?

After scuffing the entire surface I was going to spray some gloss Lustrecoat clear over the lapped seams & (carefully) wet sand W/an art gum eraser as backing to feather the lines. The gloss will show me when I have reached a proper feathering. After that, a light base coat of flat lustercoat to prime for the acrylic.

I used to do airbrush work on motorcycles so I am aware of the methods, just not sure about these new (to me) paints.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Acrylics work great in the airbrush. Thin with windshield washer fluid and add some Floetrol. Helps with drying and leveling out. I like the cheap little bottles that you get at the craft stores. Only a buck or two. Then you can mix to suit your purpose. Best thing, if you screw up, you can wipe it away and start over. Acrylics buff and rub well creating a nice look when weathering. Put down some silver first, then your colors. Rubbing through and exposing the silver adds a nice look for exposed metal. Fun stuff. Just about to buy anew airbrush. Looking forward to doing some more painting here soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I know that LustreKote is compatible, but the colors are very limited. They don't even make the flat olive drap anymore.

I have found waterv based acrylics that are available to match the olive drab as well as many other colors that would be useful.
The post right before yours....I did exactly that. I mentioned Ive used Model Masters rattle can paint directly over monocote/ultracote and solartex. Works fine, however,it is best to use a primer coat first IF using a fuel motor. Home Depot sells a large rattle can of primer paint that claims it bonds with plastic. That is the stuff you want to use.
Lustrakote works only so far. While it claims its fuel proof up to 12% glow fuel, it really isnt. Get some oil residue on it and it will start to wipe away from the cleanup. I imagine it might be ok with gas motor as it doesnt have that oil crap in the exhaust.

I dont use lustrakote anymore specifically because ot the above. However, many army surplus stores sell military grade spray paint in black, olive drab, sand, etc. That stuff bonds to everything and doesnt wipe off. And...they are already flat matte colors.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: kahloq

I have found waterv based acrylics that are available to match the olive drab as well as many other colors that would be useful.
The post right before yours....I did exactly that. I mentioned Ive used Model Masters rattle can paint directly over monocote/ultracote and solartex. Works fine, however,it is best to use a primer coat first IF using a fuel motor. Home Depot sells a large rattle can of primer paint that claims it bonds with plastic. That is the stuff you want to use.
I see nothing in the post you reference that mentions MonoKote.

On my ESM Dora9, I merely used Model master's spray paint. Worked like a charm for the primer coats. Vertical Grimace helped with the camo colors and I had brought him Home Depot Baer exterior latex paint to use in his airbrush. Turned out quite well.

I "Googled" ESM FW 190D & found nothing that spelled out MonoKote type covering.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
kahloq

Dude...monokote is basically the same stuff as Ultracote.

As has been mentioned numerous times in the past.....Ive painted over several planes with simple to acquire model masters paint.

1st pic is BH stuka. Painted over that
2nd Pic.....H9 80" P-51. Painted over that(which is ultracote)
3rd pic H9 spitfire...painted over that...again ultracote.

Painted over the ESM Fw-190D9....which is similar to solartex.....never said it was monokote.

I have a TopFlite 60 size P-51. Painted over that as well and that is definitely monokote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25594.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1851619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84300.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1851620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25318.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1851621  
Old 02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
SrTelemaster150

As has been mentioned numerous times in the past.....Ive painted over several planes with simple to acquire model masters paint.

2nd Pic.....H9 80'' P-51. Painted over that(which is ultracote)

Painted over the ESM Fw-190D9....which is similar to solartex.....never said it was monokote.

I have a TopFlite 60 size P-51. Painted over that as well and that is definitely monokote.
Dude! The fact remains that your "post right before yours I did exactly that" NEVER MENTIONED ANY TYPE OF PLASTIC COVERING! Now, you are referencing past posts That I may have never seen.

Be a man and admit that your post was wrong as far as mentioning monokote/ultracote & correct your error. Do I really have to cut & paste your post again?

Besides, Solartex is nothing like the plastic covering films, it's a fabric.

From BUSA's website.

"Solartex is a super light, extra fine woven fabric covering material which adds immense strength and toughness to an air-frame".

Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
CGAV8R

I have painted over Monokote with good, lasting results. I used 0000 steel wool to prep the Monokote, then primed and painted with lacquer based paint (at the time it was Aerogloss). I used the same Aerogloss clear to protect it from the glow fuel. Aerogloss is lacquer based, so I would think any lacquer based paint would give the same results.
Aaron D.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
kahloq

2nd Pic.....H9 80'' P-51. Painted over that(which is ultracote)

Dude! The fact remains that your ''post right before yours I did exactly that'' NEVER MENTIONED ANY TYPE OF PLASTIC COVERING! Now, you are referencing past posts That I may have never seen.

Be a man and admit that your post was wrong as far as mentioning monokote/ultracote & correct your error. Do I really have to cut & paste your post again?

Besides, Solartex is nothing like the plastic covering films, it's a fabric.

From BUSA's website.

''Solartex is a super light, extra fine woven fabric covering material which adds immense strength and toughness to an air-frame''.

Be a man and stop acting like you need hand walking through every possible post.

I know what solartex is.....I mentioned it as one of the several coverings I've painted over. Stop being an ass and just listen to ppl or is your ego just so big you have to be exactly 100% right about every nit picking thing you can come up with. Give it rest.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Calm down, people. We're supposed to be having fun here.......
Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
SrTelemaster150

Be a man and stop acting like you need hand walking through every possible post.

I know what solartex is.....I mentioned it as one of the several coverings I've painted over. Stop being an ass and just listen to ppl or is your ego just so big you have to be exactly 100% right about every nit picking thing you can come up with. Give it rest.
Unlike you many are giving me very helpful advice.

I will lsten to them but you no longer warrant my attention because you are being a JERK. As usual the insecure types like you can't face the fact that they were owned when they posted snide remarks.

Perhaps it is your ego that needs deflated.

So long *****HAT. You are now on my ignore list.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

SrTelemaster, I have missed it, are you using gas or glow? That is really important to factor in. I have found that nothing that comes out of a spray can is fuel proof to glow. Raw gas is brutal as well, but this is only a concern where filling and close to the engine.
Too be safe, I would experiment. I have found the oil based polyurethane to be very durable, it is not quite as flat as I would like but some steel wool may help here. I want to try spraying this, as I have only brushed it on.
It sounds like a little scuffing and you will be in business with the monokote, but it does seem like paint would have a hard time sticking to it. I have never painted monokote, but it sounds like it has worked for others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.