Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF FW190 GIANT ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:06 AM
GO4IT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a lead on a nice wing bag for the TF FW190?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Try this site http://www.hobby-pak.com/indexmain.htm

The Single 1 Piece Wing Bag #WBS04 works great for any of the Top Flite Giant Size Warbird ARF's, I have one for my TF Giant P-40, plan to get another for my FW190; Plenty of room 88" Long X 24" Wide, for $79.99; great Wing Bag and price!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:21 PM
sparky4lawndart

very bummed... had a rough day at the field today... I flew my bash P51 (which may be the best flyer i have) and had a bunch problems spring up on the TF FW190 on the first flight.

It started up great, took off great, got into the pattern and on the down windleg I thought the engine quit but I could still kinda hear it... I was in the downwind leg to I dropped the gear and turned early into landing... the prop was spinning but no throttle at all... landed long and ran off the end of the run way and skidded sideways and the right gear folded... When I got to the plane I could see that something had burst through the wing top. I proceeded to carry my plane back to the pits for post dead stick landing assessment ( the walk of shame).

The spark plug had been blown out of the head and was hanging under the cowl. The threads from the head still in the threads of the spark plug. The cam-lock plastic assembly of the right retract burst through the top of the wing.

so... I bought the DLE55RA from TowerHobbies... do you think they'll cover the head under warranty? It's only 3 months old and that's the only plug thats been in there since I took it outta the box.

and... although I found the part # (FW107A) on the robart site, where do i get that assembly from? Tower only has the complete set...

any info would be appreciated!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:14 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Robart for the part and call Tower about the motor.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky4lawndart
very bummed... had a rough day at the field today... I flew my bash P51 (which may be the best flyer i have) and had a bunch problems spring up on the TF FW190 on the first flight.

It started up great, took off great, got into the pattern and on the down windleg I thought the engine quit but I could still kinda hear it... I was in the downwind leg to I dropped the gear and turned early into landing... the prop was spinning but no throttle at all... landed long and ran off the end of the run way and skidded sideways and the right gear folded... When I got to the plane I could see that something had burst through the wing top. I proceeded to carry my plane back to the pits for post dead stick landing assessment ( the walk of shame).

The spark plug had been blown out of the head and was hanging under the cowl. The threads from the head still in the threads of the spark plug. The cam-lock plastic assembly of the right retract burst through the top of the wing.

so... I bought the DLE55RA from TowerHobbies... do you think they'll cover the head under warranty? It's only 3 months old and that's the only plug thats been in there since I took it outta the box.

and... although I found the part # (FW107A) on the robart site, where do i get that assembly from? Tower only has the complete set...

any info would be appreciated!
Tower has been great for support,but they will refer you to Hobby Services on all problems and they will likely want pictures.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless DLE is having problems with the spark plug threads (and admitting it), it may be difficult to get it fixed under warranty. That kind of issue is normally caused by the plug being over tightened or cross threaded. Hobby services will likely want you to send them the entire engine, worth it if they replace the cylinder ($90 part). Not so much if they are only going to tell you it's not a warranty issue.

I notice the Robart part you mention is the Plastic cam-lock piece. Just curious how that failed? Did the piece actually break, or did the wing mounts fail in some way causing it to get broken? You'll have to order retract parts straight from Robart. Tower has exclusive rights to sell the retract set, but they don't carry the parts.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:34 AM
sparky4lawndart

Hey all.. they're having me send the motor to AirSupport @ hobbico. I couldn't get the motor off the plane as I had used a permanent locking agent on the mount bolts so i sent in just the head, the spark plug with the threads still on it and pics of the plane,etc... I'm hoping they'll cover it.

I have ordered the retract assembly (thats what its called - the plastic cam lock do hickey) from Robart direct @ $18 + shipping. I'll post a pick of the broken part and the wing top it went through.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 AM
sparky4lawndart

here's the retract and the wing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	retractdamage.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1938907   Click image for larger version

Name:	wingdamage.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1938908  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:53 AM
motor12

here's the retract and the wing
I did the exact same thing to gear and wing. it's an easy fix, but still a pain. Hate to damage a new bird.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM
tfarmer96

yep happened to me last weekend. ran off in six inch tall grass. Busted the block in the same place and the same repair on the wing. I have been told my proto type gear will be ready by the end of the month.

Last edited by tfarmer96; 11-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if anyone could make a metal cam block like the one Sierra did for the TF P-51 gear
Old 11-13-2013, 11:51 AM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a problem with making it stronger.......

A 190 leg is very long. The forces up there is therefore quite spectacular.

When the forces are reaching a certain level, something has to break, sooner or later.

If you make those cam blocks of metal, the next weak spot will have to go instead. Sooner, rather than later, the wole area where the gear is mounted, will break loose from the wing....and the damage is even greater than that....

Of course, it is difficult to design a "weak spot" strong enough, and yet weak enough to break exactly at the level one wants.

So, is it strong enough, or rather, too weak? Mine has nosed over on its back twice, without anything breaking anywhere. The canopy held, the vertival fin and rudder held. The gears held. Not bad !
Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by kwik
There is a problem with making it stronger.......

A 190 leg is very long. The forces up there is therefore quite spectacular.

When the forces are reaching a certain level, something has to break, sooner or later.

If you make those cam blocks of metal, the next weak spot will have to go instead. Sooner, rather than later, the wole area where the gear is mounted, will break loose from the wing....and the damage is even greater than that....

Of course, it is difficult to design a "weak spot" strong enough, and yet weak enough to break exactly at the level one wants.

So, is it strong enough, or rather, too weak? Mine has nosed over on its back twice, without anything breaking anywhere. The canopy held, the vertival fin and rudder held. The gears held. Not bad !
I agree, that is why Robart makes the block out of plastic.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:56 PM
tfarmer96

Something is going to break for sure. I lined the gear bay with 6oz glass cloth. at least this way it wont punch through the sheeting next time.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM
kochj

very bummed... had a rough day at the field today..

Didn't you have some dead sticks prior to this one?
I have been told that if you crank down on those spark plugs when the engine is hot, you can strip it out....

I sounds like your engine got so hot that the Alum. went liquid and blew the spark plug out!... ( hence the threads still sticking to the plug)

I was going to joke about haveing a dead stick, while having the ability to start the engine with a flip of the switch from the transmitter......but I didn't want to affend... as it was mearly giving you a hard time....

could that starter, have malfuntioned? make sure the one-way bearing didn't fail and caused excess strain on the motor....hence over heating it...
Air leak, not enough cooling, or carb set lean, or oil not mixed right....ect.

Just thinking outloud... Not saying you don't know what you are doing, I just haven't heard of that happening like that as a factory defect.... ussually other factors that cause it..
Not sure thought if the threads on that engine are "pressed" in or part of the head.... If pressed in,, then absolutely it could be a defect and none of the above applies..

At 70$ for a new head on the dle55 I wouldn't sweat it too much.(warrenty or not) If it was over-heated...they will most likey leave the issue to you...but they have done some really great stuff so my guess is you will be covered..
...just make sure you find out what had gone wrong... so it doesn't happen again....(most likely will if it was one of those issues and not addressed.)

Last edited by kochj; 11-13-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 AM
dasintex

Originally Posted by tfarmer96
Something is going to break for sure. I lined the gear bay with 6oz glass cloth. at least this way it wont punch through the sheeting next time.
Hey Terry; Did you remove the Plastic Wheel Wells and glass the entire area or just the area inside between the Gear mounting rails where the gear gets bolted in?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Tally-ho

Hey all.. they're having me send the motor to AirSupport @ hobbico. I couldn't get the motor off the plane as I had used a permanent locking agent on the mount bolts so i sent in just the head, the spark plug with the threads still on it and pics of the plane,etc... I'm hoping they'll cover it.

I have ordered the retract assembly (thats what its called - the plastic cam lock do hickey) from Robart direct @ $18 + shipping. I'll post a pick of the broken part and the wing top it went through.

Now that so many of us need spare parts for these retracts, I think it is time that Robart offers these parts in the web shop :-(
Old 11-14-2013, 07:06 AM
tfarmer96

Originally Posted by dasintex
Hey Terry; Did you remove the Plastic Wheel Wells and glass the entire area or just the area inside between the Gear mounting rails where the gear gets bolted in?
I just glassed under the mount. I think the parts are available on the robart site. I had to call for the upper struts, but the blocks and frames are on the site.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:33 PM
kwik

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally-ho
Now that so many of us need spare parts for these retracts, I think it is time that Robart offers these parts in the web shop :-(
I asked them about it several monts ago, they didn't even bother to answer my mail.
Probably because I am not living in the US, and can therefore be ignored.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 PM
tfarmer96

this is the part number

FW107A

HOUSING ASSEMBLY

I may have called them to place this order but you are correct you cant find it on the website
Old 11-14-2013, 09:10 PM
sparky4lawndart

Anyone put a RotoFuel tank in their fw190? What size? Any alterations?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:55 PM
SrTelemaster150

this is the part number

FW107A

HOUSING ASSEMBLY

I may have called them to place this order but you are correct you cant find it on the website
A parts diagram W/part numbers should have come with the retracts. Mine did.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:27 PM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

yep happened to me last weekend. ran off in six inch tall grass. Busted the block in the same place and the same repair on the wing. I have been told my proto type gear will be ready by the end of the month.
I'm looking forward to that Terry. I heard a little pop on one of my landings last weekend in Atlanta ...i haven't looked at it yet
Old 11-17-2013, 11:29 PM
n8622t

Last time I heard a pop a gear rail glue joint ceme lose
Old 11-17-2013, 11:33 PM
n8622t

Anyone put a RotoFuel tank in their fw190? What size? Any alterations?
I've got a ROTO fs85 with a 40oz Dubro tank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.