Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Giant Zero 86" Span.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite Giant Zero 86" Span.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Something must have changed. I've got 2 of the big P-47's, 2 of the big P-40's, and 1 of the big F4-U's. They are all pneumatic, range from 4 years to six months old and have never had a problem except for pinched air lines and 1 leaky cylinder.

I'll cautiously say most all the landing have been fairly smooth and none of them have bent anything. Did the metallurgy change recently? Is it the electrics having these problems? There has to be more to the story.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 PM
ALFIEV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I guess one thing, if the pins were stronger the load would be transferred to another part of the construction. Mine was not a smooth landing so I have to take some responsibility, but I just thought it would be a little stronger. Well.... nothings perfect!!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:52 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of people are landing gently and do a slight turn off the runway towards the end of the rollout and the pins are bending even with that slight amount of pressure. If that's the case about damaging the wing, make them like BVM. Super strong gear and then flex plates that can be replaced easily.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:00 PM
ALFIEV

I straightened out the bent pin this morning. It returned to its original position very easily. That fact, along with the saw marks evident on the cut end of the pin suggest that this material is really quite soft.

I will fly again, and if it bends easily I think I will grind off the weld, punch out the pin, select the correct diameter drill, weld that in and cut off to length. I think drill steel will be a better temper, and will be easy to get the perfect diameter.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:48 AM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been told to go and buy one of those super long 1/4" drill bits at Home Depot or Lowes and cut to size
Old 07-12-2016, 06:22 AM
Steve Haas

I have fixed 3 of them for friends and have used 1/4 dia. hardened steel dowel pins. 2 years and lots of landings they are holding up great. 90% of the landings on grass.
I have done this for the P-47 & FW-190.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:27 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by patrnflyr
Same thing's going on with all the TF planes using Robart gear.

i started this previously but not much of a response over in the Jet forum but relates to Warbirds directly.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-retracts.html
I saw it when you posted it. I fly jets most of the time, the reason you did not get much of a response it that jets don't use that type of retract. Most of the jet gear of today are pretty strong and take normal abuse
Old 07-13-2016, 12:45 AM
bladebender
My Feedback: (5)

Picture of the pin in retract going to get a set for my 190
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM
ALFIEV

Sorry, no picture from me, I have already re-assembled my retract. This link at the Robart site should show a picture of the trunnion and the pins are easy to see.http://robart.com/collections/retrac...union-assembly
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM
ALFIEV

And.... got to fly the TF Zero for a second time. Airframe flies beautifully, slowed her down good before deploying flap, absolutely not a problem. Landed pretty well, not perfect but all observers felt it was a pretty good one. Sure enough one of the landing gears is not fully extended (the other side from last time, RH side this time). So, that was flying for the day. Went home, pulled the gear apart, same issue as before, bent pin. So......confirmed in my mind, these pins are not up to the job at all. Have now stripped the gear and will replace all of the pins.

Nice one Robart....
Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Bryan McLarty

My TF Zero is in the process of getting a glass and epoxy job and eventual paint. Will be doing a light gray (A6M3ish) scheme. From my research, most of the Navy Zekes that were this color (some like to say white) were early A6M2s that had a shorter cowl compared to the later ones like our model has.

When it came to the Robart gear, I've heard this story over and over and over ad nausium! I bought a set of Sierra Giant Scale gear and they are an absolute work of machining art! Thought about converting them to electric, but have decided to keep them pneumatic. Can't wait to complete this baby!

I think it just sucks what you guys are going through with these Robarts. Gear is a significant cost of the final airframe and to be having such trouble with a measly part of the gear, to me, shows a poor design feature. I know Robart says that if they built them more bullet proof, then guys would be ripping them out of wings left and right. Well, I don't know about that, but there HAS TO BE a happy place between the two extremes!

Good luck guys!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 PM
ALFIEV

Someone posted a video of my flight on another forum. Here it is, yes.... landing was not perfect, a little fast, only half-flap.

https://youtu.be/17fbIf8eY5g
Old 07-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Bryan McLarty

That wasn't a BAD landing by any means. Yes, just a little fast and a little drop on the touchdown. These things have to be able to withstand something less than a perfect landing every time. That's really unfortunate!
Old 09-14-2016, 11:34 AM
ALFIEV

And she's a gonner!!! After much criticism for coming in too high and too fast ( mostly criticized by those who fly foam gliders!!!) I came in slow and low. Dropped a wing without warning and in she went. Our field is a bit challenging as you have to clear some trees that stand about 30 meters short of the runway. Then you can drop the nose some, but still have to clear a 7-wire fence before you are clear to land. As a result the landing profile is not a long gentle descent with easy speed management, rather a drop in from height and then a flare, and you need to be touching down fairly early lest you run out of runway.
This said, I have been flying there for 3 years now, and have successfully landed many warbirds and other types of model.

I had full flaps, these were less than the recommended full flap stated in the manual. It really caught me by surprise as there hadn't been any tendency to drop a wing before. I did 3 slow circuits with flap down before attempting to land. Observers were also surprised as they felt (as I did) that I was carrying enough airspeed.

Oh well. I hope my Saito radial is recoverable, it looks a bit worse for wear!! Maybe I'll build another one of these end of next year when I have saved some funds. It flew beautifully up until this occurrence.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 PM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by ALFIEV
And she's a gonner!!! After much criticism for coming in too high and too fast ( mostly criticized by those who fly foam gliders!!!) I came in slow and low. Dropped a wing without warning and in she went. Our field is a bit challenging as you have to clear some trees that stand about 30 meters short of the runway. Then you can drop the nose some, but still have to clear a 7-wire fence before you are clear to land. As a result the landing profile is not a long gentle descent with easy speed management, rather a drop in from height and then a flare, and you need to be touching down fairly early lest you run out of runway.
This said, I have been flying there for 3 years now, and have successfully landed many warbirds and other types of model.

I had full flaps, these were less than the recommended full flap stated in the manual. It really caught me by surprise as there hadn't been any tendency to drop a wing before. I did 3 slow circuits with flap down before attempting to land. Observers were also surprised as they felt (as I did) that I was carrying enough airspeed.

Oh well. I hope my Saito radial is recoverable, it looks a bit worse for wear!! Maybe I'll build another one of these end of next year when I have saved some funds. It flew beautifully up until this occurrence.

Sorry to hear. It kinda comes with hobby you fly long enough it is bound to happen.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Yes I lost a P40 last year as usual pilot error. Sorry to hear about yours.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You might consider Top Flite's big P-47 for that engine. I have a friend with that particular setup and it flies fine, plus the P-47 is a real lady when it comes time to land.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Bryan McLarty

Second Lifer's comment. It's a honey of an engine on the P-47!
Old 09-14-2016, 05:22 PM
pittsdriver

My first one did the same thing. I was doing touch and go's and on around the fifth one got it a tough slower than the rest and BAM it snapped. I've flown the second one a bit now and haven't had any issues. Don
Old 09-15-2016, 07:49 AM
hpergm

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALFIEV
And she's a gonner!!! After much criticism for coming in too high and too fast ( mostly criticized by those who fly foam gliders!!!) I came in slow and low. Dropped a wing without warning and in she went.

Sorry to hear about that... Let us know what's the condition of the engine after you take it out. Saitos are light so not really famed for crash durability.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:20 PM
ALFIEV

Yeah, the stall really took me by surprise, the model had been rock-steady throughout the flight and during the slow speed circuits. My thinking is that it is a better approach with half-flap, full-flap seems to slow it down too much even when the full-flap setting is quite a bit less than the figures published in the manual.

Will probably do another Zero if the motor checks out or is repairable. The initial damage appears to be a munched (for want of a better word) tappet cover on No. 1 cylinder and the header pipe from the Keleo exhaust to No.1 cylinder is wrecked. More than that I haven't ascertained yet. Am worried because it impacted with power on, as soon as the wing dropped I chucked the throttle forward as the only response possible to gain airflow over the wings ( not enough height to drop the nose and gain airspeed), the motor was spooling up when it went in. Didn't achieve full power (might have pulled out if it had) but certainly some shock will have been imparted through the engine as it was running a carbon fibre propeller which is now smashed and delaminated.

One thing that seems to have escaped damage is the landing gear (which was down at the time). Because the model rolled in on it's back the underside of the model was mostly unscathed. Funny, still don't know if the modifications to the main landing gears have been effective ( the replacement of the soft pins) as it hasn't been landed since!!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:29 AM
aquaskiman

Have any of you guys noticed that it takes a lot of down trim for level flight?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:28 AM
pittsdriver

Mine doesn't but I have it balanced in the forward half of the CG. Don
Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

Balanced mine by placing the battery behind trailing edge if wing in the fuse.. No additional weight required. Flys great,have 85 flights on it.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:45 PM
aquaskiman

Originally Posted by SWORDSN
Balanced mine by placing the battery behind trailing edge if wing in the fuse.. No additional weight required. Flys great,have 85 flights on it.
look at your elevator and see if you have a lot of down in it when trimmed for normal flight Thanks George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.