Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Welcome-the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Welcome-the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:38 PM
sparky4lawndart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have evolved now that the fairer sex is among us, gents.. Katniss, we shall endeavor to remember to put the seat down and try not to adjust ourselves too often...

Welcome Aboard, Katniss

1. Sparky4LawnDart
2. FlyerInOKC
3. DesertLakesFlying
4. Chris923
5. Luft-Gangster
6. Peter_OZ
7. foodstick
8. DHC6
9. ton2di
10. yojoelay
11. f16man
12. WarbirdRacer
13. Capt G
14. RBean
15. FlyCatch
16. US185Damiani
17. prop wash
18. hairy46
19. Captain Ron
20. tailskid
21. AZThud
22. bzyguy01
23: psheffield
24. VeeAte
25. colesifer3d314
26. Katniss
34. Paladin
52. roadhawgy
58. dasintex
158. dwaynenancy
Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 AM
sparky4lawndart

folks... I brought out my Zero Saturday and had a great first flight but the second ended badly... It was a normal flight (fast and fun) and when I turned on final I thought I had a radio glitch... The plane went into failsafe (full flaps, cut throttle, gear down, 10 degrees down on elecator) and almost landed except it was 50 feet off centerline and in the weeds... abrupt stop and ended up on it's back... when I got the I found the vertical and one horizontal stab badly broken off the plane... wings and fuse are okay... gear is bent.

The pair of 2S lipos for the radio failed... They take a charge but as soon as I put a load on them they drop to 3.8V output... I think that since I never bothered to put a "standby" charge on them between flight weekends killed them (carrying too much charge for too long). The plane is setup with HV servos so I may just move all that gear to another Warbird...

I'm thinking of putting together a Top Flite GS Corsair... what do you guys think?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Katniss

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry to hear of the extensive damage to your Zero. It seems odd that both 2s lipos would fail at exactly the same time. Ive had fully charged lipos sit for months and be just fine. I use lipo batteries for my TX and the only time Ive seen a problem is when they are over dscharged. If I leave the TX on by mistake and it drains the 3s lipo pack too far, it generally wont recover. Sure, you can put a charge on it, but then it wont hold it.

My guess is, the HV servos you've got installed are drawing a combined amount of power exceeding the capability of the 2s lipos to maintain a constant voltage...thus your receiver hit brown out level in flight. The discharge draw from the overall servo load was pulling more then the 2s could provide without causing chemistry imbalance inside the cells. Im guessing this as it doesn't seem likely two separate batteries would fail at the exact same time or even close to each other unless the current draw was so high. Or...vibration in the plane could have caused a short....I don't know.
I personally don't use lipos for rx power. Almost every warbird I've built has required weight to balance so I use nimh packs as they are heavier then lipos. It is just my preference. I'll also run one battery through the battery port on the RX and then y-harness in another one usually through the aileron channel. Each battery has their own on off switch. I used to run both through the same on/off switch and merely had them paralleled, but was advised against doing that by another club member.
I don't know how you had things set up, so please don't think Im preaching.

As far as replacement plane....the Top Flight GS Corsair is a nice plane. Ive seen one in person and they look really good in person. My friend set his up on a 12s lipo power system. That plane is so graceful and lands so slow I couldn't believe it. I think it would be a great choice!
Old 11-25-2014, 08:06 AM
Katniss

Correction, my friend has the H9 60cc size Corsair...but its the same basic size. TF is 86.5", H9 is 85.5"
Old 11-25-2014, 11:42 AM
colesifer3d314
My Feedback: (9)

Electric retracts have also been known to put airplanes into a lockout situation because of to much amp draw. Which is why I use a separate battery for my gear only.

Are you sure it's not that Futaba radio system your using frank? ;-)

I went with the H9 corsair because of the scale outline factor among other things. But that's my preference. If you don't care about that, it's a great airplane. The Robart gear is actually pretty good, I may end up buying those for my build if sierra never makes me a set.

Last edited by colesifer3d314; 11-25-2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM
colesifer3d314

Double post

Last edited by colesifer3d314; 11-25-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Katniss

The only issue with the H9 60cc offering is it is on backorder. I agree with colesifer that the H9 looks better, although the TF is cheaper.
If I was in the market for one, my choice would be H9..but already have a slightly smaller 75" ESM. I do have the TF GS Spitfire and its nicely built, so cant say anything bad about TF planes.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:14 PM
colesifer3d314

Nice planes...just not my choice as a competition build
Old 11-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Katniss

Remember, Im in the not so scale...warbird arf ..soon to be, but don't want it to be scrap "brotherhood".....I am not ready for competition builds lol
Old 11-25-2014, 01:10 PM
colesifer3d314

It's still an arf girl ;-)
Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Katniss

SO what WOULD be your choice for a competition build?
Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM
desertrider49
My Feedback: (5)

Frank (Mr. President)

I would like to join the brotherhood....here is my sad story.

I bought a used H9 P-47. It came with a hole the size of a silver dollar in the side, so I patched that and put a brand new Moki 180 in it and set the CG exactly as per the instructions and went to the field. I ran the engine for maybe 5 minutes and then decided to go for it. After a few good taxi runs I hit the throttle and in about three feet it went straight up (tailheavy) then the engine quit at maybe 20 feet and did a beautiful stall turn and went straight down. I thought to myself, let it gather some speed and hit the elevator and make a landing. Well, needless to say, I was about two feet short...totalled. Total flight time: 4.7 seconds.

Now, my biggest warbird pleasure is going to the field early Sunday morning to watch you. You are my hero.

Respectfully Submitted,
Desertrider49 (aka Randy)

Last edited by desertrider49; 11-25-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:31 PM
colesifer3d314

Originally Posted by Katniss
SO what WOULD be your choice for a competition build?
ARF? My H9 corsair with the 777 radial is going to be stellar.

Kit? Keep it simple and done correctly. Vailly Fw190 90.5"

all of the whistles and yo-yos would obviously need to go into any airplane built for scale masters. But that is my own personal choice for what I would build...it will probably happen too lol
Old 11-25-2014, 03:35 PM
OCMike
My Feedback: (1)

I would like to be a member of this brotherhood..... I have the pleasure of flying with Frank (sparky4lawndart) every weekend at our local field OCMA Black Star. -Mike

Last edited by OCMike; 11-25-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 PM
colesifer3d314

I'm sorry Mike ;-)
Old 11-25-2014, 04:13 PM
colesifer3d314

Can I join the frank migilichichacocoooo fan club? Maybe I'll create one because I'm your #1 fan
Old 11-25-2014, 05:35 PM
sparky4lawndart

Folks...

A) thanks for the condolences... I appreciate it... I don't feel too bad about it since it (the TF GS Zero) was the plane that Colesifer3d314 wanted to trade me for (ROTFLMAO) with his 80lbs 1/5 scale corsair he bought and sitting in my garage...
B) I've already glued the ****ake mushrooms outta the vertical stab and will use a pound of bondo and epoxy to make it one with the fuse again
C) I'll have to order the horizontal stab set from Tower ($99) (far too broken to glue up)
D) The TF GS Corsair is out of stock until Late January (which means march, I think) at Tower.
E) what was I talking about?
F) in the immortal words of SpongeBob... "F" is for fun, "U" is for You and Me, "N" is for anywhere, anytime, where we can be together...
G) in the immortal words of Plankton... "F" is for fire, burn down the whole town, "U" is for uranium... bomb, "N" is for no survivors here in the deep blue sea...
H) I believe that there should be a Frank Migilichichacocooo Fan club... Cole should be the president and only member!
I) what's after "I"
J) Fly it like it belongs to someone else that you don't like... If it's an ARF, bash the ever living hell outta it then fly it like it belongs to someone you don't like...
K) Don't but a used plane that weighs more than your Chevy Suburban (Cole!)

Let's hear it for our new members... proud to know you guys!!!

1. Sparky4LawnDart
2. FlyerInOKC
3. DesertLakesFlying
4. Chris923
5. Luft-Gangster
6. Peter_OZ
7. foodstick
8. DHC6
9. ton2di
10. yojoelay
11. f16man
12. WarbirdRacer
13. Capt G
14. RBean
15. FlyCatch
16. US185Damiani
17. prop wash
18. hairy46
19. Captain Ron
20. tailskid
21. AZThud
22. bzyguy01
23: psheffield
24. VeeAte
25. colesifer3d314
26. Katniss
27. OCMike
28. DesertRider49
34. Paladin
52. roadhawgy
58. dasintex
158. dwaynenancy
Old 11-25-2014, 05:59 PM
sparky4lawndart

Originally Posted by Katniss
I'm sorry to hear of the extensive damage to your Zero. It seems odd that both 2s lipos would fail at exactly the same time. Ive had fully charged lipos sit for months and be just fine. I use lipo batteries for my TX and the only time Ive seen a problem is when they are over dscharged. If I leave the TX on by mistake and it drains the 3s lipo pack too far, it generally wont recover. Sure, you can put a charge on it, but then it wont hold it.

My guess is, the HV servos you've got installed are drawing a combined amount of power exceeding the capability of the 2s lipos to maintain a constant voltage...thus your receiver hit brown out level in flight. The discharge draw from the overall servo load was pulling more then the 2s could provide without causing chemistry imbalance inside the cells. Im guessing this as it doesn't seem likely two separate batteries would fail at the exact same time or even close to each other unless the current draw was so high. Or...vibration in the plane could have caused a short....I don't know.
I personally don't use lipos for rx power. Almost every warbird I've built has required weight to balance so I use nimh packs as they are heavier then lipos. It is just my preference. I'll also run one battery through the battery port on the RX and then y-harness in another one usually through the aileron channel. Each battery has their own on off switch. I used to run both through the same on/off switch and merely had them paralleled, but was advised against doing that by another club member.
I don't know how you had things set up, so please don't think Im preaching.

As far as replacement plane....the Top Flight GS Corsair is a nice plane. Ive seen one in person and they look really good in person. My friend set his up on a 12s lipo power system. That plane is so graceful and lands so slow I couldn't believe it. I think it would be a great choice!

Thanks Katniss... The redundant 2S lipos on separate switches were for the rcvr only... I've checked the system on another set of 2S lipos and the current draw is even on both packs ( max 1Amp flipping the servos out - feature in the Futaba radio - it cycles all the servos rapidly and within the endpoints). These were square 2S 2200Mah rcvr packs and I think its likely a short in the packs (I had them zip-tied together and Velcro strapped in tight). My fault for not load testing them after they charged that morning...

Yes, I'm a big believer in NiMh packs but wanted to try out HV on this plane.

No, I don't think you're preaching... I dig your input!

No, I won't pick the Hangar 9 Corsair only because they've (Horizon Hobby) taken me for a ride 3 times and that's my limit...

Yes, I like the TF GS Corsair... I just bashed one for a friend of mine... DLE55RA w/ Bowman ring, Robart air mains, static tail wheel, painted pewter gray with a black gun hood and white feathers, Callie Graphics did up the Quantico decals... very fast and looks good in the air... He wants me to do another one in a Korean color scheme... Black with red on the tail, same motor & setup.

I wish I could post pics again... apparently 20 years of IT experience won't let me overcome ActiveX controls in my browser.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:04 PM
colesifer3d314

Hahahahaha awesome

Even if you hate my beautiful boat anchor of a corsair, which I shall prove you wrong with..I still love you buddy!! quit breaking my airplanes...
Old 11-25-2014, 06:21 PM
sparky4lawndart

Here's the one I just bashed for Shaun Roblee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	2050137   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	2050138  
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 PM
sparky4lawndart

Originally Posted by colesifer3d314
Hahahahaha awesome

Even if you hate my beautiful boat anchor of a corsair, which I shall prove you wrong with..I still love you buddy!! quit breaking my airplanes...
Oh.. Brother o' mine... I'm just joking about your boat anchor... I mean Corsair... I don't luck out like you so I'm green with envy, Cole... both in the kick ass deal you got and your tremendous flying ability. I'm always impressed watching you fly... Scale even when you're messing around... PigPen (Cole's Jug) always looks good in the air and, well... just pisses the hell outta me... Stop flying like that... make a few mistakes... will you? AND, yes.. I know you're gonna fly that anchor.. I mean Corsair.. exceedingly well.

As a fellow Blues Brother, I got nothing but respect for you, Cole!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Katniss

Originally Posted by colesifer3d314
ARF? My H9 corsair with the 777 radial is going to be stellar.

Kit? Keep it simple and done correctly. Vailly Fw190 90.5"

all of the whistles and yo-yos would obviously need to go into any airplane built for scale masters. But that is my own personal choice for what I would build...it will probably happen too lol
I do love the fw-190. Im not quite ready to build a kit though. So...right now it's arf's for me as Im quite busy with other things...
Old 11-26-2014, 08:30 AM
redskyhawk

Sign me up in this wonderful brotherhood please.

After doing this to our Vailley SeaFury my son just looked at me and said "you can buff that out Dad".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_515262232303237.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	2050248  
Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 AM
dasintex

Frank; get back in the saddle and put another TF Zero together!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM
splinterz25

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sparky4lawndart ....Are you going to build the giant scale SUPERMARINE type 24 ????

Would love to see that.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.