Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TopRCModel FW-190

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 AM
scottme262

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not my dog
Old 04-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scottme262
Lt. Thank you for the specs. That is exciting that it fly's fast with that prop. Initially I was looking at the 28 diameter prop since that's closer to a scale size for its wingspan, but sounds like a 28 is way too big for the engines that fit. :-)
I have a lot of IMAC guys that fly at our new club so I'm starting to talk to them. Only one other guy does big Warbirds but he is only there once every few months. I do have a Jet guru that is there every time im there so i have been picking his brain as well.

Elmshoot, the Power Safe RX is what has been recommended and its nice to see you are doing the same thing. good to hear about total weight being workable. thanks for the input.

Scott
(Nicknamed "Inspector Clouseau" back in 84' because I asked too many questions)
Careful with the advice and help you get from IMAC pilots because they are trained to fly high performance sport RC planes that do not fly like warbirds. They may be technically proficient pilots but just as in full scale you should be cross trained or "rated" on big RC warbirds. I have seen this many times where a great IMAC pilot cannot handle a warbird well and in some cases have crashed the model. I have also seen this in my own flying skill set because I flew a hot rod Ultimate pipe for a couple seasons and noticed it was effecting how I flew my warbirds. I sold the bipe just to stay true to my war bird interests. If you trust a pilot who flies a variety of plane types well and you have seen him handle a war bird like yours then I would trust the pilot enough to fly and advise me on the plane.
Just my experience and advice...
Old 04-05-2019, 06:49 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Also the IMAC guys set up the control linkages for their planes much differently than the more conventional setup that is desired on a warbird. 3D isnt what you are looking for.
Sparky
Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM
scottme262

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Careful with the advice and help you get from IMAC pilots because they are trained to fly high performance sport RC planes that do not fly like warbirds. They may be technically proficient pilots but just as in full scale you should be cross trained or "rated" on big RC warbirds. I have seen this many times where a great IMAC pilot cannot handle a warbird well and in some cases have crashed the model. I have also seen this in my own flying skill set because I flew a hot rod Ultimate pipe for a couple seasons and noticed it was effecting how I flew my warbirds. I sold the bipe just to stay true to my war bird interests. If you trust a pilot who flies a variety of plane types well and you have seen him handle a war bird like yours then I would trust the pilot enough to fly and advise me on the plane.
Just my experience and advice...
That is great to know.

We do have a lot of IMAC guys,

The jet guy is pretty proficient with everything, does inverted 100mph flybys 15' off the deck with his Violet F16 at our airfield (old paved ranch airfield). I will be having him do the maiden and checkout. He has saved a few of my foamies that were un-flyable until he got them onto the ground and made adjustments. I will trust his judgement and I really appreciate your advise guys
Old 04-05-2019, 07:04 PM
scottme262

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Also the IMAC guys set up the control linkages for their planes much differently than the more conventional setup that is desired on a warbird. 3D isnt what you are looking for.
Sparky
I was planning on setting everything up based on what i am reading from you guys.
Scott
Old 04-07-2019, 01:58 PM
HiCurrent

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have questions for those who have the saito fg90.
I have not maiden mine yet. Still trying to adjust the engine. I just ran almost a gallon of fuel to break it in. I have a 40oz fuel tank and it seems like it doesn't last very long. I have not ran the engine at full throttle for too long because I'm still trying monitor the engine temperature in the cowl.
My question is:
1. what size of fuel tank you have and how long is your flight time.
2. what temperature do you get with the cowl on and do you have baffle.
3. what size of ignition battery are you using and how many flights do you get with it.
4. what size of prop do you use and what rpm are you getting out it it.

I have 3 blades 22x10 fw190 scale prop and it seems like it is over-prop. I could only get about 4500rpm and the engine is a bit overheating (200 F).
A 2 blades 24x10 mejzlik turns at 6500rpm at about 185F

#1. I found out the reason for the fast drainage of fuel. I have a Tee on the fuel line and I didn't take it out during the engine test. I thought that the electric fuel pump would prevent the fuel from cyphoning back into the tank but I was so wrong. After I realized that, my problem #1 was solved.
#2. I'm seeing 192 F with the 24x10 2 blades mejzlik. I have baffle but I didn't do it right. I put the baffle in front of the engine and not in the middle of the engine. I will have to cut the baffle out and redo it.
#3. I was using the 2s life battery and it wasn't good enough. The engine was running horrible. One cylinder got overheated (up to 250F) and the other 2 stayed cool at 100F. At low end, it sounded like only 1 cylinder was running. I checked the manual for the ignition battery range then tried it with the lipo 3s. It made the huge difference. The engine came alive.

Please, I still need the information on the rpm and temperature. Please share if you have it. Thanks

Last edited by HiCurrent; 04-07-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have experience with this 22-12 Three Blade Semi-Scale Fokke Wulf Style propellor made by "Biela Propellors". Supposed to work well with Saito FG90R or any engine in this size range.
Click image for larger version

Name:	32x16fw.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2263967

Last edited by AV8ATOR; 04-10-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:57 PM
LtMash1A

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8ATOR
Anyone have experience with this 22-12 Three Blade Semi-Scale Fokke Wulf Style propellor made by "Biela Propellors". Supposed to work well with Saito FG90R or any engine in this size range.
Attachment 2263967
I use it on my Zero and FW190, 84 and 90RG. Works great.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 PM
michael16tsx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I am going to buy this plane in the near future, and would like to go fly it with the saito FG 90.
As i read this thread, this plane looks really good.
But there seems to be a big problem with the gear!
the only solution i see is to buy a sierra gear, but im not a big fan of air retracts.

Is there anyone who is flying this plane with electro rectracts, like the electron ?

Greetings,
Michael
Old 04-11-2019, 05:35 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Down and Locked makes awesome gear, his are electric he has had a booth at Toledo. But not this year along with a bunch of other MFG skipping the big show.
Tell him Sparky sent you from RCSB
The workmanship on the struts is on par with Sierra.
If I didn't already have a set of Sierra gear I would get mine from him.
I will be buying a set from him in the next 90 days for a 80" Sea Hornet.
Sparky
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 AM
AV8ATOR
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by LtMash1A
I use it on my Zero and FW190, 84 and 90RG. Works great.
Thank you for the response LtMash1A.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 AM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anybody used the Robart gear for this model? Struts looks strong but air-cylinders seems to me small.
Sorry no idea about needs for this size of the gear.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:51 AM
LtMash1A

Originally Posted by ZB
Has anybody used the Robart gear for this model? Struts looks strong but air-cylinders seems to me small.
Using the Robart gear for this plane will be your worst nightmare.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:40 PM
HiCurrent

Originally Posted by ZB
Stay away from Robart. I rather fly the plane without any gears and belly land it.It'll take less damage
Old 04-12-2019, 02:01 AM
michael16tsx

Thanks for the answers!

I think i got the solutions:
I heard that in May TopRc will release an electronic gear set for this plane.
As i know, it will be a Robart set.

So i will order from Robart: legs and wheels
Retracts wil be Electron er50evo

That should work great!

Hope to get the plane early june. Does anyone have any tips about the FG-90R3 ?
Does it REALLY still needs an upgrade ?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM
scottme262

Originally Posted by michael16tsx
Thanks for the answers!

I think i got the solutions:
I heard that in May TopRc will release an electronic gear set for this plane.
As i know, it will be a Robart set.

So i will order from Robart: legs and wheels
Retracts wil be Electron er50evo

That should work great!

Hope to get the plane early june. Does anyone have any tips about the FG-90R3 ?
Does it REALLY still needs an upgrade ?
I would urge you take some time and read the horror stories of anything related to Robart in the TOPRC FW190. the legs and support structure are the problem not the air cylinders, so bolting them to electric actuators wont solve the problem of their design.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39 AM
LtMash1A

Originally Posted by scottme262
I would urge you take some time and read the horror stories of anything related to Robart in the TOPRC FW190. the legs and support structure are the problem not the air cylinders, so bolting them to electric actuators wont solve the problem of their design.

I agree,.. Scott., There is no cheap way around your problem. Sierra Gear and live with air, or Sierra Gear and send to Mitch at Down and Locked for conversion to electric. I would add that the TopRC tail wheel will work fine but you have to cut the tabs off and make the pull pull wires come out about a half inch above the the mounting bracket. The exit holes that come with the kit will not work as they will stretch the wires when the tail wheel cycles.The exit holes are too low. Springs will not solve this problem from my experience. If you use the Sierra tail wheel, in my opinion the 1/4.5 are a little too big. I prefer the Vally, Sist 1/5 th size, but that is a matter of opinion. The struts on a 190 are long and you need a healthy gear to stand up to the stress. Im sure some of the better pilots on the forum could make any gear work, but I'm not that good. So just trying to keep you form throwing good money after bad.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:16 PM
ZB

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, looks like plane B, Monday calling Sierra Gear, my gear does not operate smoothly, the trunnions get stuck in up position.

Over the weekend I will install servos and start working on electric motor. New Elite E105/20 motor with telemetry is going to this machine.

E105/20-185 w/Jeti Spin Pro 200
10,000 12S Li-poly
3-Blade 23x12 Fiala prop
6200W/140A/7250

Click image for larger version

Name:	marten-85-e105-20-185.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2263973
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	marten-85-e105-20-185n.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	2263972  
Old 04-12-2019, 07:03 PM
LtMash1A

Looking forward to seeing the set up. Since all electric fly ins are becoming more and more popular, fI did the TopRC Spitfire in electric and really love it.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:44 PM
HiCurrent

You can't go wrong with Sierra. It will be worth the money. If you can get a fix tail gear, I think you'll be happier. Less nose weight, less trouble installing the retractable tail gear and less money.
I couldn't find a fix tail gear for it; otherwise, I would use it instead.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:46 PM
HiCurrent

For those of you having the Saito FG90. Do you guys baffling the engine ? what is your running temperature ?
thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 AM
flypilot

Here is the video, hope you like it, subscribe to stay updated on new videos from my channel..thanks
Old 04-14-2019, 09:39 AM
LtMash1A

Great job! Thanks for posting.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM
flypilot

Thanks, im sorry I posted in the wrong thread
Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 PM
michael16tsx

Thanks for the feedback about Robart! i will let it go
The point of a fixed tail gear sounds good to me, i'm going to find something out to get that done

Is there anyone who has a video of their FW-190 flying with a FG-90R3 ?
I read a lot about it, but can't find a good video so i can see how it flies with this engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.