Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Is Pica going out of business?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Is Pica going out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is Pica going out of business?

If you currently own a Pica or want one the two last resources for stuff is Quantum and Sheldons Hobbies in Northen cal
Old 03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
ffdq
My Feedback: (4)

Anything new on pica its been awhile now.
Thanks Fred
Old 03-15-2005, 04:47 AM
LDM

Sorry but every indication from hobby shops that did high volume with Pica is -zero , no go for the future .
The last of any sign of a kits is at Sheldons on Northen Cal , some planes left.
Its seems the ARF market tooks its toll on this company .
I got one the 1/6 P40 , great kit , still in box , but tons of scale errors , however i still reinforce they were great kist very complete .
Old 03-15-2005, 05:42 AM
forestroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: victor55ca
My wife is a union member and I am so sick of hearing these neocons say that unions have driven the work from north america. I don't want to live in a 3rd world country, perhaps the people who complain about all our unions should go live in 3rd would country where they can procure all the slaves they want, live like kings and lords, have their family members kidnapped for money and live in barbed wire armed guarded compounds. Wow now thats living.
it saddens me that someone seemingly so intelligent can say such ignorant things about China and Vietnam, where most ARFs are made.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:15 AM
FW190 Dave
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: forestroke

it saddens me that someone seemingly so intelligent can say such ignorant things about China and Vietnam, where most ARFs are made.
So whats your point on all of this? You seem willing to cut someone down but not willing to explain why? Please do explain fully, I am really interested in hearing ths most intellegent point of view.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GrnBrt

Best get this one back on track and off the unions or it will be closed down, thanks.
Guys,
See the earlier post, many posts ago. I think if you want to argue religion, politics, unions, etc. you need a different forum.

What I'm seeing is as LDM says : The shops do not indicate that Pica is coming back. For over a year now, I've been reading posts here that say "Oh, I talked to so-and-so, Pica will be back real soon."

The time for "Real soon" has come and gone. Still no announcements, and suppliers can't get any product. I'm not going to believe Pica's coming back until I see product on the LHS shelf (and I'm SURE not going to believe any website!)

Dave Olson
Old 03-15-2005, 04:12 PM
daveymac

Any one know where I might find a box top for the Pica 1/5 scale P-51 (kit # RC-17, I believe). I've got the kit in a box, but lost the box top for it when I moved. (thats hired help for you). Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:44 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

IT WILL BE A SHAME IF WE LOOSE THEIR PRODUCT LINE. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH THEIR PRODUCTS OVER THE YEARS. THEIR FW-190 WAS A GREAT FLYING WAR BIRD AND NOW I STILL HAVE THEIR 1/5 SCALE P-51 WITH A TIGER 4500 FOR POWER AND IT IS PROBABLY THE BEST FLYING P-51 THAT I HAVE EVER HAD. IT GOES RIGHT WHERE YOU POINT IT AND IS VERY PREDICTABLE. ONLY THING I CAN SAY IS KEEP YOUR FINGER CROSSED THAT THEY OR SOMEONE WITH THEIR PRODUCY LINE COMES BACK.

THANKS BOB
Old 03-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Scar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: masteromodels

<<snip>>KEEP YOUR FINGER CROSSED THAT THEY OR SOMEONE WITH THEIR PRODUCY LINE COMES BACK.

THANKS BOB
Wasn't SkyShark eating their lunch anyway? The way I hear it, the Pica fans are buying Skyshark, at least the 60 size users.

Dave Olson
Old 03-15-2005, 06:10 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Dave (and everyone else),

you really hit the nail on the head. In this day and age of fierce competition, you don't take a one year plus hiatus with a promise of "coming back some time soon" without suffering some loss in credibility. I have been a big Pica fan for some time as I am still a hardcore kit builder BUT I also have been lured over to the "dark side" of the force by ARFs. I must admit that with a VERY busy schedule, as many of you have, the ARFs have become an alternative to at LEAST getting a few warbirds in the air rather than taking so long on one or maybe two kits. I currently have four CMP ARFs (P-47, Hellcat, Zero and P-26 Peashooter) in my stable that, although are not completely up to my standards, are an excellent starting point that will take far less time to get in the air then starting from scratch with a box of wood. Still, the ARFs are mainly geared towards the more "popular" models and if you want to build something a bit more obscure, then its either a kit or a set of plans (or if its REALLY obscure, the drawing board!)....

I have personally given up any hopes that Pica will return, or at least return in their old self. I only have two Pica kits left - the 1/5 P-40 and the 1/5 Spitfire, both the newer laser cut versions. Whether they get built in my lifetime remains to be seen, but it is still fun to open the box and admire the wood, plastic and other bits and pieces that went into a Pica kit - especially the way the instruction book is written with humor injected here and there to keep it interesting.

I know you wont hear/read this, but I salute you Pica. You had a quality product while it lasted and it won't soon be forgotten.....

randy
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"
I know you wont hear/read this, but I salute you Pica. You had a quality product while it lasted and it won't soon be forgotten....."

Couldn't of said it better!

Jerry
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM
LDM

I have to tell you that I feel lucky getting one of the 1/6 scale P40 . However I did share the info as soon as I found the supply in Sheldons I poasted it on RCU . Next time I was out there the owner told me he did not know what happened but there was a run on them -lol . Get this the 1/6 scale sold for 179 , the 1/5 scale was $192 , the kits are in excellant shape but decals were separate and sold for $35 . Me the idiot passed on the decals never to see them again . The last time I was there they had one set of 1/5 scale left on the dacals , a few spinners and that was about it . I am not sure if they have any spits left but they did at one time .
Most of the 1/5 P40 are now on RCU or ebay at $350 , so much for helping your fellow modeler !!!! hahah profit misors !!!!

Any way the kits were top notch , the lasor cutting wa great , cant wait to start building . If any one is interested there was a on line build of this kit under warbirds done by serpentine in Florida , he did a great job on the plane.

maybe we can take the plans , or the left over die cut outs send them to a lasor cutting place and keep the birds alive !!!!
Good luck in your searches ,
also there is a 1/5 pica spit built , hanging with some very minor repairs needed in Warehouse hobbies in Minneaplous , I think it was about $219 , plus shipping , its was big !!!
Old 03-16-2005, 11:48 AM
diehard
My Feedback: (18)

It's funny how things change. I had 2 pica kits for sale awhile back..1/5th Spitfire and 1/5th P-51, and nobody wanted to pay the price for them at the time. The Spitfire sold for $200 shipped, and I finally sold the Mustang for like $165! I thought I'd never get around to building them, but now wish that I still had them []
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
LDM

diehard , I know what you mean , I had no interest in building this P40 , I have a VQ P40 , sold a top flight P40 , still have a Sportsman avation P40 , but when I had the chance to get this kit and view it up close , i figured someday this will be a great project to build
Old 03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
diehard
My Feedback: (18)

Well LDM, at least I did keep the 1/5th laser-cut P-40 kit. Since I already have a Byron and a TF giant P-51, I really didn't need the Pica. As for the Spitfire, I recently found a Dave Platt complete Spit kit with all the bells and whistles!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:16 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

I feel your guy's pain...

My two and ONLY hobbies are R/C warbirds and restoring old Mustangs (cars). To that end, I built a 2 story 24 x 36 foot "barn" several years ago and just recently, added a separate 12 x 20 foot "R/C shack" strictly for contstruction. I have been hoarding kits for a long time including Jemco, Top Flite, Byron, Pica, etc etc etc. Some were virgin kits, others were planes that guys had started on and just never finished and gave them to me. I may not build ALL of them in my lifetime, but they sure do make nice looking "knic-knaks"......

randy
Old 03-16-2005, 11:38 PM
LDM

I hear you bossman , I have two kids in hockey so building is tuff but I love to build so I will build my collection of "to build Kits " for when I have the time .

ON another note about skyshark they are great kits but he wont make P40 ect , he likes to kit the differant planes so you wont see this plane from them plus his kits are usually smaller
Old 03-22-2005, 08:02 PM
harleyguy518
My Feedback: (2)

Anyone know where I can get a canopy for my 1/6 scale PICA T-28? I would appreciate any help
Old 03-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Chilipecker
My Feedback: (37)

I recently ordered a Pica 1/5 T-28 cockpit kit online from Quick Tech Hobby (www.quicktechhobby.com). I figured it was old stock on hand. After waiting about 2 weeks I asked what the delay was about. Larry Quick wrote back to tell me Pica had moved to the west coast, had new owners, and would open in the 1st quarter of 2005. I wrote him back to tell him I thought Pica was gone for good and asked him to refund my money.
Last week Larry wrote back including pieces of correspondence from the new owner, (or agent), named Monte. Monte said that Pica would definitely be opening, but could not say when. Sounded like BS to me.
This morning I got one of those automated emails from DHL with a tracking number. The shipper was M. Tanger of Pica Enterprises, Inc.

LOOKS LIKE PICA IS BACK????
Old 03-31-2005, 02:42 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Cool,

When you get what was shipped, see if there is a new phone number and/or address.

Don
Old 03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
HUMMERH3
My Feedback: (7)

post adress and phone please.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Monte" if I remember WAS one of the original owners.....anyone want to confirm this?

Jerry
Old 03-31-2005, 09:28 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Larry Quick wrote back to tell me Pica had moved to the west coast,
i thought they moved to south america??? or was that a rumor?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:25 AM
LDM

yes Monte was one of the original owners , I hope they make the 1/5 P40 agian , I wish they would get into the ARC planes
Old 04-01-2005, 01:12 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

My Pica 1/5 scale plans indicate that they were by Mort and Jon Tanger, so I'd assume theyare the owners. My dealings with Pica were always fine, although some time ago. I do hope they reorganize and start making kits again.
Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.