Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Is Pica going out of business?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Is Pica going out of business?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:23 AM
bhole74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Pica going out of business?

ORIGINAL: TLH101

ORIGINAL: bhole74

Will customer service be available? Pica's was almost non-existant.[&o]
Almost??[:'(]
I added the almost because the secretary did answer the phone to give me the runaround, at least for the first few times.[>:]
Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 AM
David Redden

Yes the Duellist will be brought back.

The website will be www.coxmodels.com which right now is the Estes rocket and Cox airplane website but in the future you will be directed to a Cox only website. Again, it is going to be a few months before Pica will appear on the Cox website. We have a lot of work to do to get them back into production.

David Redden
Cox
Old 05-29-2005, 07:46 PM
eclecticant
My Feedback: (10)

To BOSSMAN COULD YOU PART WITH A 88 WING SIZE SPIT KITE

KEN
Old 05-29-2005, 08:39 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Having built the 190 and the 1/5 Spit now, I am excited to hear about the reintroduction of them. I really enjoyed building both models, even compared with their more contemporary designed brothers on the market from other manufacturers. Plenty of info out there on what their characteristics are and what to watch for, so it's a real service to builders to keep them around. I know firsthand that they are nice flying models that look great at the field. Moreover, who in their 30's or older didn't start their modeling career with a little Cox .049 control line plane at some point? It's nice to see a name getting involved at a level for the more serious modeler. The investment a modeler makes getting a plane like this in the air really builds a stronger bond to the plane (and perhaps the manufacturer if it flies well) I think.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:15 AM
Spitfire7856
My Feedback: (1)

This is great news, I have two of the 1/5 Spits. Lets me just say we eagerly await your reintroduction of the line back into the marketplace and wish you all great success.
Regards
Alex Acuti
Old 05-30-2005, 07:02 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my first and beloved warbirds was the cox P40 !!! I wish I still had mine, I have seen them on Ebay for $79 to $200 on final bid !!!

I love the Pica kits have build two and I am sitting on a 1/6 P40 . The completeness of the kits is very very good . My issues and its a simple one to fix is that I will lighten the plane signifigantly . Holes in the ribs , fuse support walls , ect ect . I think they are good planes that can loose weight without any problems at all during the build phase .

I follow the same pattern that is seen on most of the skyshark kits .
One more question from the Pica followers , anyone know where to get the Pica 1/6 P40 decals ?I hope Cox reintroduces these , I tried sheldons and they only have the 1/5 scale , very nice but just to big . They were $35 , I felt that was reasonbale compared to the $120 I have seen on line from other sources .
Old 05-30-2005, 06:58 PM
eclecticant
My Feedback: (10)

Please still need planes to build cowl for 88 inch spitfire 1/5?? copy of plans real plans kit or any other kit or planes will cut some kits.

KEN
Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 AM
Richman67

Hi Guys,

My $0.02 on this long running thread.

I've built many Pica models over the years. Since I grew up in SoFL, most of the hobby shops around here had loads of Pica kits.

My very first RC plane was a Pica Rapier II (40 size). When I re-kitted it in later years, I promptly built a replacement. I also have a Touche, and a Dullest, both of which were great projects.

Heh, in fact my Duellest has two HB PDPs .40s on it. How's that for a bit of history?

As far as customer service, my only experience with Pica was absolutely....charming, if you can believe it. Here's the story...my Touche wing got smushed , and I needed a replacement. I could have scratch built one from my Rapier plans (a Touche is a low wing Rapier), but I since I moved back to SoFL, I thought I would try to find a "wing-kit". Pica used to produce wing-kits for whatever reason, and I thought I might find one.

Anyway, my questions led back to the factory, which was in North Miami. I called them up, and they said that they don't produce any wing-kits, but they would be glad to make one up for me (!). The very nice lady on the phone asked for which kit, and if I needed it shipped. I told her I was local, and could pick it up. I called a week later, and the same lady told me it was ready.

I found the factory in a warehouse strip. It was fairly old and dusty, and the office was 70s style with wood panelling and a dusty display of Glue-it bottles on the wall. The nice lady I had spoken with went into the back and came out with my wing kit, and a NEW set of Touche plans. She then asked me if I needed the landing gear, and I said sure, and prompty delivered up a set of the gear. She then asked if I needed any glue... and promptly handed me two bottles of Glue-it...one regular, and the other was the rarely seen Glueit 2 acrylic wood to plasic glue.

The tab for all this bounty? $40, and they couldn't have been any nicer. I looked around a bit...they had endless shelves of plastic parts (cowlings, wheel pants, etc.), kits and whatnot.

I have had a Pica 1/5 scale Cessna 182 kit in my closet since 1985. I just started building it...its and old school Pica kit, with die-cut balsa and ply and about a billion parts to put together. The plans look like they've been munched a bit by roaches, but the wood is still in good shape.

It will be a tribute to all the good memories...

Best,
Rich
Old 08-01-2005, 04:31 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Rich keep looking , Cox will be introducing the kits real soon
Old 08-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Spitfire7856

For both my Spits I got cowls from Fiberglass Specialties, about $35.00. Much better than what was supplied with the kit
A3
Old 09-13-2005, 08:28 PM
FrankRC1
My Feedback: (5)

What Pica kits will cox be selling? Any answer when the kits will start being produced?
Old 09-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FrankRC1

What Pica kits will cox be selling? Any answer when the kits will start being produced?
I see you're replying to David Redden's post - and his last post was in April on this thread.

In another Cox/Estes thread, more recently, I saw where he has now left Estes. I'm not holding my breath for the reintroduction of Pica products.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 10-12-2005, 11:52 PM
mcarleno

We've been looking, any news that anyone has heard. No reference to any of the Pica models on Cox's website?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 AM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

the ONLY thing I have seen is this product lineup at Quick Tech Hobby https://www.quicktechhobby.com/Airpl...ALE%20KITS.htm, HOWEVER, in red letters at the top, it clearly states that PICA products will not be available until the move is complete. Still, it gives you some idea of future pricing.....

randy
Old 11-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Pica out of business? Rats, now I'll never get those two Zero kits that I ordered, re-ordered, inquired on, re-inquired on, begged for and finally gave up on in 99.

Or maybe something like that put them out of business?

JKAerotech is an American company, you'll get their plane in a week if they have it in stock, not much more for them to cut one for you AND if you fly it in combat, it won't dis-appear at the first touch of someone else's airplane.

Still, will miss the Duelist and other cool Pica Planes, but they aren't the first Model Airplane manufacturer to go out of business, won't be the last either. Unions, greedy corporate CEO's, Neo-Cons and Pant wetting Liberals all aside.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Some PICAs are back as ARFs at Cox Hobbies

http://www.coxmodels.com/products.asp?dept=81

WooHoo!

Don
Old 04-10-2006, 01:02 PM
flyinrain
My Feedback: (25)

Good news I hope they are of good quality
Old 04-10-2006, 01:13 PM
hattend

Pictures of two of the ARFs on this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4147856

Post #3

Don
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
lmaffia

Hello...My name is Luciano and I am from Brazil.
I have a 1/5 pica spitfire and i need to get the canopy
Do you guys have any idea where can i find this canopy??

thank for the help

Luciano
Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 AM
hattend

If Cox Hobbies doesn't carry spare parts for the old kits, then no, I don't know where you could get a canopy.

Contact Dave at http://www.coxmodels.com (see post 101)

Don
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 AM
FrankRC1
My Feedback: (5)

I was looking forward to seeing 1/5 scale kits being sold again. The Spitfire for one. Is it going to happen? Anyone know?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Toledo, they told me that there would be no kits.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:29 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Tom, they told me the same thing in Toledo. The planes that will go in production are ARF's only. The Waco, Duelist and a few others were on display at the Cox booth. I don't think they are ready to ship yet.. probably some time this summer.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:32 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Hello Imaffia, I replaced my canopy with a Yellow Aircraft one. It has a much more scale outline as well. They fit with no mods. Hope this helps, Take care Capt. Winters
Old 04-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Spitfire7856

Contact Dino DiGeorgio at Meister Scale-The canopy for the Meister Spit will fit the Pica Spit
Good Luck with your Spitty
A3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.