Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 07:15 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Another thing to check is the little hole over the diaphram cover, if it is blocked or if the cowl is getting negitive pressure it could also cause problems. One trick is to solder a copper or brass tube and run it to the outside of the cowl or into the fuse. Had the same problem with a gas engine that I had in a cap 232.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys D Bronk, Goldenclan, Wulf190

Goldenclan Be sure to read the supplements and you should be ok. Don't be in a hurry. One more thing PLEASE post pic of you progress, we all like to see..

Wulf190 It looks like you are realy smoken along as your bird realy look great, I hope when I get to doing this P-51 for my frind the glassing will look as good.

Now for my idle problem I have been over on the gas engine thread talking to some fellows that seam to know what is going on I have cleaned the carb at least three times and except for some fuzz in the screen the first time nothing, I am going to try one more time with the carb dis-assembled except the Hi speed needle in place, and use air pressure to try to clear the low speed orface, if that don't work its time for a new carb. As I have said in the past my club is small and there just three of us using gas engines so my resorses are purity slim. So the corsair is still a hangar gueen.

PS I now think the proplem with thecarb is what caused the frist corsair to go in, not the fuel line as originaly thought. Will post results probly monday 6/12 or so..

Cheers Bob T

Old 06-10-2006, 07:52 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

A sheepish thanks Bob. I wasn't sure how much work it would take to get it smooth as I had some thin spots in the Zpoxy that I had to go back and do a flow coat on, same on the wing which I haven't primed yet. I did these spots with West Systems after finding that I liked it better than Zpoxy for sandability. Didn't take much Evercoat or spot putty anywhere but for my big dings from bashing it around getting it in and out of my building room.

Good luck on getting the engine right. I'm pretty much an engine "sender-inner" if I think I've spent too much time on the thing, or get too frustrated trying to get one right or running. Usually there's always then been a guy at the factory saying, "yeah, here's this thing wrong with it", saving me a ton more headache.[][:@]

Got the spots for the switches and valves located so will probably try to get some rivets and panels on the fuse this week. Ordering more panel line tape today, and already have the darker gray primer for underneath the dark blue areas (learned from painting the first smaller one to use darker primer under the darker blue to use less paint to cover it)

Mike
Old 06-10-2006, 06:48 PM
rt3232

Mike

When it looks good its good and you don't have to feel guilty, as I see it just keep doing it, as it is great to see the finished product.

About my engine as sone as I get an ansure about a replacement plug,I hope I have found my problem Have to waite till mon or tuesday to get info..If mother nature would cooperateI could at least fly my 1/4 cub wind 10 to 20 and gusts t0 30[&o] I also fly a 1/3 weeks biplane with a G38 in 17 years it has never faild till thrus this last week it idles great but will not come too on the top end, pulled fuel system found air leek at tank, So my gassers have driven me to an early cocktail hour this week end, but I still think I am having fun

Cheers bob T
Old 06-11-2006, 08:40 AM
wulf190

As I think on it now Bob, engines are the one place I don't practice my usual technique of "talking the piece into submission" with a torrent of swear words and volatile suggestions that it remember "who's the boss" in this builder/buildee relationship between man and plane. With them I'm reduced to more of a sweet-talking situation...."come on honey, I know you can make it", "I know all you need is just a little gas or some spark now", or flat out bribery, "come on now, you fire and I'll give you that nice Amsoil you've been wanting", or "I'll get rid of that old fuel valve for you if you show me what you've got". This rarely works as you can well imagine, so I remain clear about "who the boss is" in the modeler/model engine relationship [&o]. Looks like your needing a visit from the "Zenoah-fairy" one of these evenings while you sleep. Keep your mojo working man, we're all anticipating the flight pics.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:10 AM
rt3232

Thanks Mike I realy needed that, what realy makes it so funny is I can relate. The wife whsnts to khow what I am laffing so hard about, they just don't understand.. any way

Cheers Bob
Old 06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
rt3232

Hi every one

Well I found a suply house that handles walbro carb. kits and was able to get a kit with that alum plug, removed the one in the carb and low and behold there was a mach chip in the shape of a half circle replaced the plug and checked gasflow on bench and I have good flow, on the 38 replaced all fuel lines put a kit in the fuel dot new gas stopper in the tank, so I think Iam good to go. will have to waite about a week as I have to recover from a short stint in er and hospital, will post as sone as I can get to try every thing

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-15-2006, 09:48 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Guys,
I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK,
Started working on installing the retracts this evening, will get some pics in a day or so,

George
Old 06-17-2006, 09:54 PM
ctflyboy

Hi guys,
Well I thought I had the retracts fitting in there ok but ,[>:] had to do alot of grinding to get the main part of the strut to clear the main former on the angle[&o] but, with that finally done i was able to get some glass epoxied ( 4 pieces) Dubro heavy duty glass with any luckI should have the other side done in a day or so, One thing I will say is that if you plan on stopping for a while like I did it' s always helpful to make notes of what you were doing before going back at it.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 PM
rt3232

Hi george

Did you look at the pic's way back in this thread on monting retracts? it you had to cut away the beams this limits the screw grip, so you may want to use the plastic in serts as they seem to double or tripple the grip strengh

Where are the pic's

I am still fighting eith my 62there is some little thing thas is wrong and it is the pits

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-17-2006, 11:27 PM
ctflyboy

Rt3232
I say alot of grinding but maybe a 1/4" x the width of the main , it seemed like alot by the way I had the dremel tool with all the sawdust.

George
Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 AM
thunderbolt-RCU
My Feedback: (14)

I believe there were four of these Corsairs last week at the Denver Warbirds Over The Rockies. All 4 flew in tight formation

Check out this thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 06-22-2006, 11:51 PM
wulf190

Finally got the real primer layer on the fuse today. Used dark primer figuring it's a closer match to the dark blue on top and won't require as much paint as it would to cover the lighter colored primer as I've found the darker colors tend to wash out on it, thus requiring more paint to cover. Used the lighter gray on the bottom. Will be the same for the wing tomorrow when I spray it.

After a light wet sand, the fuse is ready to start detailing, lining and riveting now.[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46780.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	481403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18115.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	481404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88935.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	481405  
Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Dave_ORCC

Looking good Wulf!!

Been too busy to get much work done on the Corsair lately. [>:] I am however, on my way to the paint shop this aft. Hopefully have some pics up in the near future.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 AM
wulf190

Cool Dave. Looking forward to seeing your pics.

What's kind of discouraging I suppose is that this thing could have paint on it tomorrow, but since I need to satisfy the obsessive compulsive surface detailing need, it'll be a week or so of waiting and prepping....worth the end result though.

The thing looks kind of vicious in the black primer, kind of like a night fighter I suppose. Will look better with the goods and right colors though. I'm using red Chartpak tape for the panel lines, so it shouldn't be any trouble to see the lines on there for some pics coming up of the lining process.

Need to get stencils ordered pretty quickly I suppose........so it's good that I finally locked down a "real" job today since the "hobby-fund vise" has been firmly attached to my neck and pocket book for the past year or so.......now to convince the wife of the need of a new building shed/workshop/paint room in the back yard where the present too-small, and outdated version sits.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Dave_ORCC

Well it's grey!!

Finally got the plane primed. Kind of the beginning of the end, so to speak!! Lot's of work to do yet but, now that I'm not looking at bare wood it's motivating for sure. Unfortunately it'll be at least a week before I get any more work done on it. Going to be away on work [>:]

About the stencils, I'm fortunate that a buddy has a vinyl cutter and he's offered to make up whatever paint masks I need. There won't be any stickers on this bird [8D]

Cheers,
Dave

Name:	Li21094.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	481675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81382.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	481676  
Old 06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
wulf190

Gotta love grey....."it's the new black!". We are Dave, as they say in the title of one of my most favorite novels....."The Men in the Grey Flannel Suits" at the moment. Soon to change for us mate. You're plane looks really smooth Dave. Good work.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:21 PM
rt3232

Hi guys

Been watching the thread both of your planes look great, Question when you say going to the paint shop, is that the garage or to apaint both and what kind of pait are you using?

Still fighting with my 62 and I would like to find a real expert, as I have tryed all of the sugestions and help from the gas engine thread, At this point I need help. if you know any one please PM me ..

Keep the pic's coming

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-23-2006, 09:31 PM
ctflyboy

RT3232,
If your having that much trouble with that engine why not replace it[]
I know I would considering how much I know thats invested in the plane.
but thats me.

George
Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 PM
ctflyboy

Hi guys,
Well after 2 attempts I finally got the 6 oz. fiberglass to lay down for the gear doors. I used 3 layers of 6 oz. will get pics over the weekend.

George
Old 06-23-2006, 09:46 PM
wulf190

Thanks Bob. There was about 3 days of sanding on that wing and I think there may still end up being a spot or two that take a mini level and sand. My fuse is good to go though. Pumped up to get the panel tape on it and see it take shape for real. I'm using Testors ModelMaster paints (yes, those little small bottles!) and stencils from www.getstencils.com (a good product), same as Dave for me too, no decals, small stuff will be water slide or rub ons.

Rub the Buddha on that engine Bob, rub the Buddha...... Try repeating to it in the starting sequence...."I think I can, I think I can, I think I can"...sort of the Little Engine that Could thing. Still no visit from the Zenoah Fairy I see. That fairy can be a scarce at times. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:12 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Wulf
took your advice on the glass worked like a champ.
THANKS.
George
Old 06-24-2006, 09:08 AM
wulf190

Glad you got 'er dun George. Pretty good feeling when you get them on there with the hinges and everything. I'm saving the linkage via servo to them for later, after the paint.

Wing awaits the rubdown now too prior to panels.....

Name:	Hf97764.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	481963  
Old 06-24-2006, 10:03 AM
ctflyboy

Hi Wulf,
At the rate your going you'll be in the air in no time, its looking good.

George
Old 06-24-2006, 12:19 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

Going to try to get some pics of mine today, watching the all the posts sofar has me ready to get er done quick! They both look great!!! The only problem that I have is that I don't have anywhere long and flat enough to get the wing put together except for the concret slab in the front of the garage! "volks wagon project in the garage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.