Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hey Guys, I got my kit today.
Planing on;
G-62 (got that)
Gear doors (Dions way)
I would like to make a 3 piece wing if it wouldn't be to much trouble.
Also need a F/G cowl. I heard today that stan's fibertech was out of bussinss. Is this true? Does F/G specialties have one?
Maybe a sliding canopy.
I will be F/Ging and painting in the 3 tone Jolly Rogers. #19 Lt. JG Kepford
Also with panel lines.

I've been reviewing this long thread, Very useful info guys( thanks) I'm on page 12 now, so back to reading!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:13 AM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunderbolt47

WELCOME ABOARD

Old 04-29-2006, 02:10 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Thunderbolt47

Nice to have you have you in the thred, did not see stans rep's at Toledo so don't have a clue on them, I did how ever get to hold the NEW f/g/s cowl and it looks great exelent cowl flaps and pnl lines and vary good glassing workman ship.

Keep posting and pic of your progress

Cheers Bob t
Old 04-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Thunderbolt47

thanks for the welcome guys, Today was shop clean up day. I will be starting on mine tonight. I'm going to start with the wing first. would this be a problem to skip the rudder and stabs. I figured I could do them when I start the fuse.

As for pictures, all I have is a camera phone so the pics aren't all that great. I spend all my money on planes. that's why I don't have a digital camera. I just gave in, and bought a new phone to replace my bag phone.

I will post a picture of my little plastic corsair for a test pic. If it's to crappy I will make some other arangments.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92993.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	452634  
Old 04-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Thunderbolt47

how is that? will it kill anyone?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Thunderbolt47

well here's what I got done last night. well I'm off to work now, so I post more next weekend.

Name:	Ki18210.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	453071  
Old 04-30-2006, 12:28 PM
goldenclan
My Feedback: (5)

I would like to fiberglass the plane when I get done with it, but have never done it and don't know how much it will add to the weight. I have already started working on lighting system for the plane using leds. Just need to know the colors of them. I also plan on adding the panel lines, rivits, some of the access hatches.(the ones that are used alot, will be done in alunimum and weatherd). Going to try for the interior and other such items. But if someone know a link for fiberglassing that would be great.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
rt3232

Hi Thunderbolt47

Are you planning o gear doors for the mains? If so now is the time to add some lite ply to in bord side of the in bord rib. the same goes for the wing panals, out board side of the outter weel well rib

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-30-2006, 05:28 PM
rt3232

Goldenclan

I am sure If you look back afew pages in this thread you will find ctflyboy's post about glassing they may help, also you might PM him and ask if he would give you more details. Also check out thread (1/5 and 1/8 if I only knew then)... By D Bronk, his thread has lighting color all layed out, also he is exelent on glassing, From what I under stand it will add about 3 t0 6 lbs, depending on how well you smoth it out.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-30-2006, 06:31 PM
goldenclan

Thanks rt3232, will check it out.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Thunderbolt47

thanks Bob, I will do that.

Also, for you Guys that glassed yours. What do you sand your fiberglass with?
I use a DA sander with 150 grit to start with and then go to 220. then I do a little hand sanding with 300 something paper. I try to keep the physical labor to a minumum. I was just wondering what others are useing.

Later guys
Old 05-02-2006, 05:46 PM
rt3232

Thunderbolt47 I don't know any thing about glassing a plane yet, but I am reading all the threads I can as I have taken on a G/S P51-D all most ready to cover that has been badly dammaged while in the orig box, for a frind of mine, all is repairable. So I hope you will put lots of pic of your corsair build in this thread.

About your choice of paper grit, all I have ever used when glassing joints is 220, so I am of little help at this time.

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-04-2006, 01:26 AM
Thunderbolt47

Well, I'm a long way from glassing my corsair, but I will say that I would rather glass a plane anyday than cover one with film. This Corsair will be my third plane to get glassed. I've done two Mustangs already. My first one was OK, but my second one was very nice. I hope the corsair will turn out even better.

This is my way. I don't know if it's the best way but a friend of mine showed me and he does exellent work.

First sand and prep the wood.
then I lay the cloth down and use a 3/4" brush with Greatplanes finishing resin thinned 50/50 with denatured alcohol. this will be very thin and runny. I put the resin on the glass. I've heard of some putting the resin on first and then working the glass down but "I" don't think that would be any better , maybe harder to do.
then let it dry overnite. (that's the part I like. I can go do something else with my day)

next take a sanding bar to the corners (lightly) to knock of the excess glass.

then apply another coat of resin. You can put it on straight but I like to thin it down with about 10% alcohol to make it brush easier.

then let dry overnite.

Now the fun part. ( and you didn't think sanding was fun) take a DA (dual action) sander with 150 grit and go to town on it. you will know when it's done. just be careful to not go through the glass. then follow up with finer paper till you get the smoothness you want.

Myself, I don't want the surface level smooth, just smooth to the fingers. If there is a little wavyness in it that's fine with me, because most aluminum planes have wrinkles.

I hope this helps anybody that would like to try glassing a plane it's really easier than film and alot less time consuming.

OMT use sig 3/4oz cloth. I used some cloth from greatplanes or hobbico once and it had a seem one the end and that was a pain in the butt to work out. I know I could have cut it off but I didn't catch it in time and It was the only peice I had at that time. Ol'well live and learn.

here are my two Mustangs. the red and white is dead. Mid-aired with the P-47 (in my avitar) during a mock reno race with a few other planes.

Name:	Ca82604.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	455681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77922.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	455682  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:54 AM
goldenclan

Ok one more thing about fiberglassing, do you also do the trailing edges of the wing, horizontal, and vertical stabs? What about the elevators and the rudder and the like, they are supposed to look like they are fabric covered? I have already finished the lighting system using led?. Did the corsair have a landing light? All of the photos that I have seen, I could not see a landing light.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 AM
D Bronk

YES..They all had landing lights .Which version you are building,dictates where it is located.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Thunderbolt47

[quote]ORIGINAL: goldenclan

Ok one more thing about fiberglassing, do you also do the trailing edges of the wing, horizontal, and vertical stabs?

Most of the time I don't, I just put a few coats of resin on them. The glass is there for strength. the trailing edges are pretty stong on their on.

What about the elevators and the rudder and the like, they are supposed to look like they are fabric covered?

On my Mustangs I covered them with solartex fabric.

Name:	Db84266.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	456209  
Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Dave_ORCC

Hey Gang,

Wow, this thread has been dormant for a bit too long. I've been working away on my Corsair as time permits and am getting closer and closer. A little (OK a LOT!!) of sanding then it's off to the paint shop to get dressed up. Here are a few pics after today's session.

Cheers,
Dave

Name:	Wu61706.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	463373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87840.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	463374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55801.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	463375  
Old 05-18-2006, 06:39 PM
rt3232

Hi Dave

That bird looks mighty good to me, what color skeem are you going to do and who's numbers if any?

I am just waiting for the wind to blow thru and I will try to get afirst flight..

Cheers Bob T
Old 05-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Dave_ORCC

Thanks Bob. I'm going to paint it to be a Royal Navy version, probably from the 1835 squadron. It won't be super accurate but close. From the start this is meant to be a test-bed to see how I like flying the plane and the next one I plane to do a lot more scale refinements.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-19-2006, 06:32 AM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Looks great Dave, keep up the good work. And we had lasted sooooo long without a pic of a Mustang in the thread!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 PM
ctflyboy

Dave
Your looking good,

George
Old 05-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Thunderbolt47

Sorry wolf, I was just showing my glass and paint job. I will remove them if you like.

Sorry I tainted the thread!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
rt3232

Hi Dave

I have to ask questions, as thats what keeps my old brain working, Are you going to have a dummy engine, and have you balanced it yet?? have you weighed it?

Cheers Bob T

PS I haven't seen D Bronk in RCU for a bit but when he cimes back, if you have questions about markings etc; he is a world of info..
Old 05-19-2006, 09:09 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Not at all T'bolt.....just ribbing you. The pony is super nice and you should be proud. I buckled and am soon to be in possession of my own 'stang--seemed kind of a shame to have a bunch of different warbirds and no Mustang....so solved that problem....If mine comes out as good as yours I'm happy.....and appreciate the method of showing options for us here....couldn't be better really.

George, Bob, Dave and I have been looking for more companions to our long-lifed build thread here. It's been a great thread for everybody I think.....so welcome aboard the ship of fun--nice to have yet more life breathed into our efforts here.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-19-2006, 09:48 PM
ctflyboy

Hi Guys,
I was thinking (something I try not to do to often) it's really sad in a way that we all have this one common goal , and we are scattered throughout everywhere , it would be really something if we could me at one central point and FLY these birds as a group till the cows come home.

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.