Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hi Randy

well I thought by this time I would see some pic's from some of the outher builders, come on guyshelp out asI need all the hints (help) I can get, any way hear are the latest 4 pic's if I can get them to up load all at one time

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23067.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	313797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47295.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	313798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg91726.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	313799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58939.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	313800  
Old 08-22-2005, 08:25 PM
rt3232

Seeing as I am not a true scale builder I took some liberity to keep the switch ,charge-jack, and the air fill fitting off of the out side of the fuse ala the compartment, Door is held shut by 1/8 earth mag's. took a mold of the fuse just in case the door would not stay in shape and I had to build fiber glass door. I think with all the outher pic's previously posted the next three are self exp.

Bob T
Old 08-23-2005, 01:51 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the wingtips, rudder shape and flat tail surfases are all wrong also but I consider those easy fixes.
The lack of positive wing incidence isnt a concern to me if it allows for a better flying plane,(I would hope thats the reason for the deviation on such a major part of a plane).
I have the Taylor plans, and its considerably closer to scale, but looks to be a major build project, and I really dont want to cut a kit.
The TF Corsair was never intended to be a scale accurate model, in my view it would be far more work and a waste of money and time to make it so. The positive wing incidence was not left out to make a better flying plane, it looks like it was left at 0 degrees to match the rest of the plane, to make it easy to build and only resemble a Corsair. The plane was not designed using a scale 3 view, it was designed like any other sport plane, "looks good".

The Brian Taylor plan is not as accurate as many think it is, if anyone wants to talk facts on that and you've done your homework I'd be happy to talk.

If it looks good to you, then build it, just don't ask me to love it. [8D]

Dion
Old 08-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

If it looks good to you, then build it, just don't ask me to love it. [8D]

Dion
LOL

Pete
Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sort of jumping ahead here, but I was wondering what the names of the colors are for the "tri-color" paint scheme?
Thanks,
Sam
Old 08-24-2005, 12:56 PM
D Bronk

DARK BLUE=non spectacular sea blue, FS # 35045 ( one book claims it to be FS # 35042.could be a mis-print though)

LIGHTER BLUE= non spectacular intermediate blue FS # 35164

FLAT WHITE= NON spectacular whiteFS # 37778
Old 08-24-2005, 08:24 PM
rt3232

Hi Dion

I would not want to get in to a long discussion good or bad scale of the T/F corsair but from the limited books that I have it dose not seam to be as bad as you make it. I have not compaired the dwg's to mfg's or put them on a cad system. I have been told that even the top Gun desinres take some liberties to get a good flyer and still meet the cotest requirements. As for the incidencein the wing and horzontal, in jig built real corsair if eather weae off a10th of a deg, it would not make a signnificant differance to the flight envlope, but those same errors in a 1/8 ,1/5 etc would produce a big differance, Having worked in a subsonic wind tunnel for a number of years I have seen the results of engineering errors. so going to 0deg's is a safe way to get good results from a kit, and for those that want to build true scale that meet the 15 sec rule so be it, some us will add the watts and what ever to meet our needs and still have fun, I hope you will have the same..

Bob T

P/S build them stright and and fly smart..
Old 08-25-2005, 08:52 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Hi Dion

I would not want to get in to a long discussion good or bad scale of the T/F corsair but from the limited books that I have it dose not seam to be as bad as you make it. I have not compaired the dwg's to mfg's or put them on a cad system. I have been told that even the top Gun desinres take some liberties to get a good flyer and still meet the cotest requirements. As for the incidencein the wing and horzontal, in jig built real corsair if eather weae off a10th of a deg, it would not make a signnificant differance to the flight envlope, but those same errors in a 1/8 ,1/5 etc would produce a big differance, Having worked in a subsonic wind tunnel for a number of years I have seen the results of engineering errors. so going to 0deg's is a safe way to get good results from a kit, and for those that want to build true scale that meet the 15 sec rule so be it, some us will add the watts and what ever to meet our needs and still have fun, I hope you will have the same..

Bob T

P/S build them stright and and fly smart..
I'm glad your happy with the TF Corsair Bob, I'm not going to try to change your mind, we are to different. Just don't put words in my mouth though, I didn't say the TF Corsair is bad. Maybe your knowledge of wind tunnels is actually hindering your model building. I've never tested models in a wind tunnel, I fly them though and not one time did a scale outline on a fuselage of a Corsair cause bad flight characteristics. If you think the TF Corsair has a close to scale outline then we have nothing to talk about, and certainly I have nothing to gain in this conversation. As far as wing incidence goes, plus 2 degrees works just great on my exact scale Royal Corsair, maybe someone forgot to tell Marutaka it was not supposed to fly? As far as others go, like Top Gun guys, I couldn't care less what they think or do, it's like what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Have fun Bob, do it your way and remember, don't tell me to love your plane!

Dion

Old 08-26-2005, 12:34 AM
Thunderbolt47
My Feedback: (8)

POST DELETED: Because it got the point accross to addressee.

Old 08-26-2005, 07:54 AM
rt3232

Hi guys, did not mean to upset anyone good or bad is in the eyes of the beholder, as far as I am conserned you have to like what you bulid or your wasting time, enough said. I am an old geeser and have been builing sence 1939 and it has allways ben for fun, these 2 corsair builds, in a stand offscale mode are new to me and I am in this thread just to learn,

sorry for my arrocance

Bob T
Old 08-26-2005, 08:05 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm coming in at the tail end of this, but I'm gonna add my 2 cents anyway.

No, not everyone is as concerned about exact scale looks as some of the experts are. But I do know that people such as myself, who have seen a number of full scale Corsairs at airshows, can immediately identify some of the in-accuracies of the Top Flite designs, and without reference books in hand. The inaccuracies have nothing to do with making the model a better flyer, they are just plain sloppy designs.

The most noticeable is the rudder, which is too squared on the Top Flites. It doesn't take much to correct it, just some good scale drawings.

Next it the wingtips, which are not only wrong when looking at from above (or below), but also when looking at them head-on. They too are too squared, and too rounded on top. Looking at them head on, the upper surface should be staright all the way to the tip. The lower surface should gently curve up to meet the upper surface, and meet at pretty much a point. Such a point would probably be easily damaged, thus most kit makers round it off somewhat. Top flite does so excessivly. Actually, if one would take the time to make them right, I believe that the flight characteristics would improve because a slight amount of washout would be added.

Correct these 2 items and your Corsair will be capable of fooling many into thinking that it is a very scale accuate aircraft. As for panel lines and such, I personally am more concerned about how mine look in the air, and panel lines are hard to spot when the aircraft is flying. Others feel different, preferring to have an outstanding looking static display.

Many people who fly warbirds do so because they want to fly an accurate looking aircraft. They want it to look as real as possible, in flight and on the ground. Others simply want an aircraft that resembles an actual aircraft, but capable of performing like a sport plane, with unlimited vertical performance, knife edge capable, snap rolls, etc. So the question becomes: why do you want to fly warbirds?
Old 08-27-2005, 01:51 AM
Joe Dirr

It looks like I just missed the opportunity to purchase the TF GS Corsair and would like to know if you know where I could get a copy of the plans etc? I've been calling TF, but haven't got through yet.

Also, is there enough information on the plans to build the entire model? I'm thinking that there may be many laser cut parts that might not be depicted on the plans - not sure. But, in either case, I'd still like to get the plans - somehow?

I feel that the TF GS is the optimum scale - anything larger is too large (i.e. Ziroli) and anything smaller is too small.

Please let me know when you can and thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Joe
Old 08-27-2005, 12:16 PM
rt3232

I could be wrong, But I think the kit is still available through tower hobbies.

Bob T
Old 08-27-2005, 01:37 PM
Joe Dirr

Bob,

Thanks for the reply!!!

Well... I called Tower on Friday and they said that they did not have any in stock. I also checked with my local hobby shop, who said that he checked the main distrobution point for TF and they were out as well.

So, I visited Top Flites web page this morning and found that under replacement parts there is a complete list of replacement parts shown for the giant scale version.

My hope is that when I contact TF on Monday, I will be able to purchase the plans, canopy and as much of the wood kit sub-components as may be available.

I've already called Craig at "Fiberglass Specialties", who said that he has after-market cowls and oil inlets in stock for the giant scale TF Corsair. Actually, they have a better cowl than provided by TF - with cowl flaps and panel line detail etc.

If you know of anyone, who may have the TF GS Corsair new-in-box or even partially assembled - please let me know.

If you're interested, I'll keep you posted from here - thank you Bob

Sincerely,
Joe D.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:24 PM
rt3232

I can't speek for every one , but bossman's orig post was for all of ous curently or planning to build the T/F G/S corsair to post pic;s and verbage on what you are doing mods for looks what ever, I think the intent was to help one another and to learn.

I will be posting some pic's next week if every thing goes right.

Bob T

P.S. hay bosssman and J. D ,how are you doing with your builds ...
Old 08-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Joe Dirr

Sounds good Bob, I'll do likewise after I locate a TF GS kit or try to get piece-parts from TF. As you may know, TF has discontinued this fine aircraft - AGAIN?????? Maybe, TF is going to offer this as an ARF, soon - who knows? But, that would certainly be a good thing!!!

Joe D.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:59 AM
rt3232

It's me again

First Idid round up the rudder so it looks a little better, and have planed on doing the wing tips, Now the question, when looking at the wing head on does the C/L of the leading edge go all the way to the tip in a stright line?? my books don't give me a clear pic of this.

Bob T
Old 08-28-2005, 11:11 AM
CorsairJock

From post #31 in the Top Flite Corsair Mods thread ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_96...corsair/tm.htm ):
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98478.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	316280  
Old 08-28-2005, 11:28 AM
rt3232

Thanks it just did not look right when I sketched it. one thing how do you find old threads Ihave been from page 1 to 10???

Thanks again BobT
Old 08-28-2005, 01:05 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Maybe instead of the cutting comments toward others just trying to build or put together a Corsair that was desigined by those not as good as the great dionysusbaccaus. dion could show his expert knowledge of the subject by making available perfectly scale plans of the Corsair in a 60 & 120 size for RCU menbers.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:08 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: rt3232

Thanks it just did not look right when I sketched it. one thing how do you find old threads Ihave been from page 1 to 10???

Thanks again BobT
From memory, I remembered that this was one of the early posts. Turned out it was on page 2. I wish there was a way to add an index, or table of contents. Best place would be in the 1st post, but that was posted way back before the latest round of 'improvements' at RCU, and cannot be edited.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:24 PM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taildrager

Maybe instead of the cutting comments toward others just trying to build or put together a Corsair that was desigined by those not as good as the great dionysusbaccaus. dion could show his expert knowledge of the subject by making available perfectly scale plans of the Corsair in a 60 & 120 size for RCU menbers.

I'll second that. It doesn't matter what someone else thinks of the plane that another is building. If you like it, then build it...period. I don't think he asked anyone to love it, or if they would love it. The Top Flight Corsair is a good representation of the full scale.....after all, when you see it, you will know what it is...correct? I doubt there are ANY perfect scale plans out there.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and flies like a duck it must be a duck
Old 08-28-2005, 06:27 PM
rt3232

Like I said in a previous post ENOUGH SAID, come on guys pos some pic's of what you are doing, I need ideas and help

Bob T
Old 09-07-2005, 04:52 AM
rt3232

Hi guys, well its been a while But I finaly got some more done on my build, outer wing pnels framed up and installed on the center section. I am sheeting backwards from the instructions as I want to see if I can master gear doors, the hinges are not a problem, it is the operating system. I am looking for a vary simple system ( I do not want to use air) At this point I realy need help will post pic's later today as I havs to go spend a day at H/D

Any suggestionsand comments are appreciated

Bob T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.