Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 03:24 PM
snappa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Well I did the stripdown yesterday..... that it dig through the bits and remove the good stuff one thing I did discover was aa the EZ connectors were rock solid except one.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44489.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1118325  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
snappa

Now every one of these if broken had the control rod arm broken, this one looks pulled out and yes it an aileron servo, I wonder if in some way I did not tighten this one up enough? there are so many things that could have caused this I will never know, from a faulty servo to a faulty extension cable? to a faulty joiner however remember the force of the crash could have pulled this out, I don't think it was a CG problem as I have trimmed up many planes and even though it did feel jittery in the air I put this down more to control throws and getting to know a new plane during full speed flight it flew straight and true even in landing it behaved quite well the landing was fast but that was on purpose
Old 01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
rchorn

Snappa, real sorry to hear about the 109, take heart, we've all been there ! ( Sucks too ! )[&o]

I recently lost a Topflight P-51 , kit built , that the motor wasn't running up to snuff but after 20 times or so around the patch decided to try a loop anyway. I got plenty of height , or thought I did, but at the top of the loop it just fell out and went into a spin . Things happen so fast sometimes and my brain can't catch up ! Anyway I tend to agree with some of the fellows here that it could have been a high speed stall ?

Good to hear you got back on that horse !
Old 01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
snappa

could have been a high speed stall ?
this happens as an aircraft aproaches the speed of sound when you google it.... dont think so
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 PM
pencon

You guys trust your control surfaces with those EZ connectors where the rod goes throw the hole and you tighten that screw? I mean I might trust that for throttle but never ever would I be putting those on anything important .Same with the crappy plastic clevises which a lot of people seem to use . But that's just me, whatever
Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can all play CSI detectives all day long , most important thing is to take the following steps
1)act very depressed around your wife
2)put major sad face on[&o]
3)do anything she ask out of your total depression .[X(]
4)sooner or later she will say "whats the matter honey " you respond " oh nothing " you cant tell her on the first pass [>:]
5)keep the depression going [&o]
6)finally she will ask again and you say "well I loved that plane i lost last week" The guys on RCU loved my plane [&o] and now I have no friends at all on RCU because I dont have a BF109
7)finally you close the deal when she says " dear , why dont you cheer up and go get another plane " do you have anything in mind ???
8)ok you stall , you act shocked , happy and so appreciative and say "well these is this new KMP Douglass coming out and it would be cool
Call it a day and get another plane
Old 01-24-2009, 08:35 PM
snappa

Hey I like that idea!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

LDM

Were you also behind the marketing of the "Pet Rock"Cabbage Patch Dolls, ect . People bought those too.

Pure genius .

Steve
Old 01-24-2009, 10:27 PM
paladin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

snappa
see the attachment, notice that as you increase the G's the stall speed increases. As I recall a standard look recovery was about 4G. using the figure 9 pullout you can reduce it to 3G’s, thus by standing on the E it is possible to increase G’s to 6. 6G’s is the point that stall speed doubles, if I remember correctly. That would put your stall speed at 70-80mph if you were cranking on the E. before you actually reach stall and snap you have to fly through a departure stall. Should you manage to achieve a departure stall and not add more E to complete the stall the plane will gently bank to the left and not respond to aileron attempting to bring it back to level.

Joe

Name:	Ay75227.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1118765  
Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM
paladin

how are you guys setting up the spoiler and flap? like the destructions, or what?

Joe
Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Snappa ,Steve , its just what they (women ) do to us lol , good luck , hope you get a new plane !!!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:23 PM
hellcat56
My Feedback: (21)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VERY BAD ADVICE

I tried the honey I lost my plane and she just said why dont you take up trains
Of course
I used that line about 8 times in a row
WATCH OUT
They will catch on after a while

Start planning ahead and be more creative
The line will work at first but dont use it every time
If you think building is hard wait until you have to think up new lines every week or so
Hellcat56
Old 01-25-2009, 11:09 AM
SCALECRAFT

ORIGINAL: LDM

Snappa ,Steve , its just what they (women ) do to us lol , good luck , hope you get a new plane !!!
Weaker sex, HA! So for 21 years I have been a muppet.

I'm going to take my 109 out (soon as I get a chance) and flip it around a bit (on vid) and see what happens.

On the next vid, the idea will be slow flight, with flaps and without, and touch and goes. Loops and inverted flight. And maybe try a stall recovery.

On my model i have only the flaps connected. The upper radiator flap (air brake) is taped to the wing root and not used in any direction currently. I don't need this variable at this point.

snappa, heres what i do when I loose a model. I wait for a sale or an online deal of a used one and grab it, stick it in the rafters (apply a light coat of dust from vacuum) and tell her "
I've had this for so long, all i remember was it was a great deal. And I helped out a fellow modeler, and global warming, its green, ect.......

Then I clean the house and do the dishes.

Steve

Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM
paladin

did you guy's use the hinges that came with the kit?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

For the airbrake/flaps make sure you do something to strengthen the horn mounts. I made it so the up travel is minimized when compared with the down throw by using shorter horns on the servo for the up movement.

I used the hinges that came with the kit. Replacing them with Robarts may be better, but I thought they were plenty strong (way better than the typical CA hinges).

I for one would like to thank Snappa for staying around and telling about his loss. Many that crash just disapear into the shadows never to be heard from again. By being brave enough to share his experience he may help someone else in the future.

Name:	Db84185.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1120154  
Old 01-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Evil_Merlin

You are right Todd, usually they crash and thats the end of it.

I know I'm not using the EZ Connectors on mine. Metal clevisis all the way and Z-bends when I cannot. I just don't want to take that chance.

Hang in there Snappa. You'll be back at it soon.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Evil_Merlin

Question... I'm going to be doing some fibreglass frames for the canopy. Would anyone be interested?

You'd have to cut the panels out on your own. I'm thinking maybe 2oz cloth with some carbon fiber thrown in the middle...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 PM
SCALECRAFT

Hi All

Flew mine again today. 4 times. its a nice flyer.

On the fourth time I set up a video cam on a tripod. Idea was to show the landing. Not the best vid, but still info.

Soon as my kid is done with his school work, he'll put it on youtube

Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
kahloq

Looking forward to the video
Old 01-27-2009, 09:55 AM
SCALECRAFT

Ok

First let me explain the takeoff. The video camera has a magnetic field that pulled the model right to it. Even with my crappy take off, the model will still behave as long as you have airspeed, low rate of climb, and most important in the right CG range and don't panic.

My fault Really, didn't look at the wind sock, not enough rudder and throttled up faster than I normally do. Getting to confident a bit early?? It will bite you.

Sorry about the shortage of camera men. S.A.G. is still on strike.

The landing was perfect, except for,well the nose over.

Steve

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT5vh1CJJ0o
Old 01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Evil_Merlin

Scalecraft what caused the nose-over?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:17 PM
kahloq

Scalecraft....is that half flaps on yours? That's about what my half flaps are and I couldnt get the plane to slow down enough for me to feel comfortable using that position. But...I didnt have much head wind either. The pitch of my prop is also probably a lot higher then yours since you are using a 2 stroke motor(i think) so its also harder to get mine to slow down at lower throttle.
When i used full flaps for the actual landing, mine didn't have any desire to nose over and my CG is further forward then yours at 108mm. Im not sure why someone else's plane would nose over where mine hasnt felt like it wanted to. As a recap, I did not change the position of the landing gear, merely put in the Sierra Giant gear made for the stock location.
That being all said, I am sure mine would nose over if the tires hit say a rock on the runway or if it veered off the runway into the low weeds.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 PM
SCALECRAFT

ORIGINAL: kahloq

Scalecraft....is that half flaps on yours? That's about what my half flaps are and I couldnt get the plane to slow down enough for me to feel comfortable using that position. But...I didnt have much head wind either. The pitch of my prop is also probably a lot higher then yours since you are using a 2 stroke motor(i think) so its also harder to get mine to slow down at lower throttle.
When i used full flaps for the actual landing, mine didn't have any desire to nose over and my CG is further forward then yours at 108mm. Im not sure why someone else's plane would nose over where mine hasnt felt like it wanted to. As a recap, I did not change the position of the landing gear, merely put in the Sierra Giant gear made for the stock location.
That being all said, I am sure mine would nose over if the tires hit say a rock on the runway or if it veered off the runway into the low weeds.
kalog

Yes, on the outboard flaps, its at 1/2. The inboard flaps are on trim tab type of channel. No preset positions. No head wind, 15x8 prop does pull a bit.

My gear are mounted directly to the wood, with no shims to forward rake. For rake, I have bent the wires forward. I would say that my configuration is a bad situation and probably not in a good position like yours.

I just want to see how bad it could be.

My other wing will prevent the nose overs, even if debris get in the way, (like my small 109F) but also when retracted, sweep back as in scale. Also my retract position should allow for a more scale size wheel pants with the 'telescopic' top portion of the pants to slide (as in full scale) as the geometry of the pants extends when retracted. If you know what I mean.

Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 05:53 PM
SCALECRAFT

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Scalecraft what caused the nose-over?
Sorry, just saw your ?

I would have to say #1 not enough elevator and maybe#2 no head wind. And of course, not enough forward rake.

Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 08:31 PM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: SCALECRAFT

ORIGINAL: kahloq

The pitch of my prop is also probably a lot higher then yours since you are using a 2 stroke motor(i think) so its also harder to get mine to slow down at lower throttle.
kalog

......15x8 prop does pull a bit.

Steve
Im sure your 15x8 pulls plenty and has a good deal thrust...I wasnt trying to say otherwise. The point I was making was that at idle to 1/4 throttle(which is where we tend to have the throttle at when landing), my 1/4 throttle speed is going to be significantly higher because of the 18x12 prop. So for me, its harder to slow the plane down for landing relative to an 8 pitch prop and that is why I had to use full flaps since there was no head wind.
BTW, my gear is also not raked any further forward then the stock CMP strut channel was designed for.

Anyways....I dont have perfect landings all the time so Im sure I'll get the spinner knicked up good the more flights I put on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.