Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

CMP BF109F BUILDING THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 10:22 AM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Herky
This was a week ago…i really like the big spinner-it is a great feature!
the controls and pushrods and MOST hardware on this CMH stuff is really garbage. If i continue with this plane ill put dual elevator servos back in the tail, and probably abandon the “speed brake” flap setup. Its not scale, and pretty wonky.
mine is tail heavy-im moving my CG FORWARD about an inch.
FYI, the "speed brake" flaps were actually radiator flaps on the real plane. The linkage for these on the CMP model is sketchy. I hooked them up on my plane but never used them.

Old 12-22-2023, 10:38 AM
WWIIP38
My Feedback: (43)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another shot of the oil cooler flaps;
Old 12-22-2023, 11:43 AM
bananaman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apereira
Hello all,

Is the original spinner backplate what explodes? Or is it the cone or all? I am about to manufacture my own and would like to know if I need to make just the backplate or the whole thing.

Thanks
I have a NIB model I am about to assemble and the hard plastic backplate, never used, has fine radial cracks. My friend has two secondhand models, one was remains after the spinner back plate failed. I'm making a pair of alu backplates. I've had a really close look at the cones and they seem OK and are made from a different plastic, I'm happy to use mine. One failure mode that makes it seem that the cone failed is how the cone attaches into the four hard plastic backplate stubs. If one of these strips out or a screw comes loose the cone will be thrown.

If you make a back plate, due to the size of the cone, make sure it can capture the aft rim of the cone. Balance it all and make sure the attach points are solid.

The following users liked this post:
apereira (12-22-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:46 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bananaman
I have a NIB model I am about to assemble and the hard plastic backplate, never used, has fine radial cracks. My friend has two secondhand models, one was remains after the spinner back plate failed. I'm making a pair of alu backplates. I've had a really close look at the cones and they seem OK and are made from a different plastic, I'm happy to use mine. One failure mode that makes it seem that the cone failed is how the cone attaches into the four hard plastic backplate stubs. If one of these strips out or a screw comes loose the cone will be thrown.

If you make a back plate, due to the size of the cone, make sure it can capture the aft rim of the cone. Balance it all and make sure the attach points are solid.

yes, my idea is to make the aluminum backplate and use the cone, but I can also make the cone in carbon fiber, I will take a good look at the cone first. Thanks
Old 12-23-2023, 01:12 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I got the spinner for my airplane from Flight skin, it slightly bigger but it’s not noticeable.

Fliteskin Products Home Page
Old 12-29-2023, 05:07 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Brian,

Didn't know you also had this kit. I threw out the whole spinner cone and backplate as I was never going to use it. I could have given it to you.

I got my spinner from Russ at aeroscale, he's on the sunny coast. Dome and spinner were $160 AUD from memory.

Thanks

Dave
Old 12-29-2023, 02:38 PM
David.R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing pushrods

Hi WW11P38 I see a quote from Herky on your response regarding the controls.
I agree with his comments, the push rods and connectors were as fragile as the spinner backplate.
I changed the design and used the kit push-rods as tubes solidly mounted along the fuselage as guides for flexible push-rods (probably Dubro Lazer rods or equivalent. The Lazer rods are quite rigid with little free play on the tail surfaces. It is a a lot easier (although fiddly) than installing rear servos
regards
DavidR

Sorry, just to explain, the push-rods are mounted inside the fuselage attached to the bulkheads.

Last edited by David.R; 12-29-2023 at 02:41 PM. Reason: interpretation