Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Building Top Flite Corsair 60

Old 09-06-2002, 01:01 AM
blueskyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Top Flite Corsair 60

I've just begun building the Top Flite Corsair 60 size and would welcome any tips, suggestions, etc. about this project. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:33 AM
tivey
My Feedback: (6)

Default top flite corsair

I finished mine a few weeks ago and I really love flying it.I was told by alot of people that this plane would fly like a rock but not the case.It flew great.If you look at the top of the page at the advanced search block you can type in top flite corsair 60 or different combinations like that.It will pull up any thread that has tf corsair in it.Lots of posts that will help you in there.I will be glad to help you if you want.Just email questions to me.I will tell you now that you will be very happy with this plane if you build those flaps.Takes a little longer but is well worth it.I built in full cockpit and full pilot and dummy engine and flaps.Use two aileron servos also instead of one in the middle like they show.I used robart retracts and had my military stickers duplicated by a local print shop so it would not have the clear portion around the sticker.It really turned out nice.I can send pictures if you want.I had questions while I built it.Please dont hesitate to ask if you do.Toby
Old 09-06-2002, 05:50 PM
Juice

I'm building this kit too. I got the tail sections done and I'm currently sheeting the wing. Since this my first full kit, I've asked a lot of question here and on other forums.

Off the top of my head, here are some of my findings...

1) If you ask ANYONE who's built this kit, they will say NOT to hook up the ailerons like it says in the instructions. Use one servo for each aileron. This is probably the most common highly recommended deviation from the kit's recommened set up.

2) Unless you're limited to a 4 channel radio... Take the time to build the flaps because they will help you landings tremendously. Also, put in retracts because the Corsair (or any warbird) doesn't look good in the air with the landing gears always down.

3) If you are going to use Robart's #615 retracts, keep the total weight below 10 pounds (which probably means monocote covering instead of glass and paint). There is a fairly recent thread regarding these retracts on the Corsair and the P-40. You should give that a read.

4) If you're building it for scale looks, do your research first. The color scheme on the box were used in the Korean War on later versions of the Corsair, like the F4U-4's, F4U-5's, which this kit is not. Because of the canopy supplied and because there are no indented vents on the sides of the fuse behind the cowl flaps, this kit is an F4U-1A or F4U-1D.

5) If this is your first warbird, go to the Techniques section on www.rcwarbirds.com and try to find the famous "Corsair Blues" thread from an old RC Forum. These two "must reads" will provide valueable information on how to fly the Corsair (and warbirds in general).

Are you going to build it scale-like or sport-like? What mods are you planning? What engine are you planning to use?
Old 09-06-2002, 08:56 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I had one before I dumb thumbed it into the ground. It was a good and fairly docile flying model. I had a ST 75, monocoat finish, Robart retracts and minimum detail. It would fly at a very low speed even without flaps. I am a believer in flaps on warbirds even though this bird did well without them. If I had built them in it might still be around.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:01 PM
blueskyer

Default Top Flite Corsair 60

Thanks for your responses. I will be sure to use a separate servo for each aileron and I will definitely build the plane with operating flaps. I have not decided what to do on the engine yet and would welcome your thoughts on that. What are you guys using and why?

I have not been into RC Planes very long and some people think I'm crazy building the Corsair. I have built a Great Planes PT 40 (Trainer) and have been flying that for the last three months. My progress isn't all that great; have not taken off myself yet. I figure the Corsair is going to take me a long time to build & hopefully by the time it is ready, if I'm lucky, I might be ready to fly it. The Great Planes PT40 was built with ailerons & the guys in my club have actually recut the wing to eliminate most of the dihederal I had built into the wing based on the instructions. This was done because they felt the plane was very sluggish to the ailerons. In any event, that's just some background as to my experience level.

The dealer that sold me the Corsair kit felt I should not build the plane with retracts. I think his concern is the weight of the retracts may make the plane more difficult to fly. Any thoughts on that?

I've spent a little time looking at the RC Warbirds site and it looks great. I've also reviewed some of the posts on this site. I can see both those will be very useful.

I would like to build the plane as scale-like as possible but that's probably going to be tempered by my skill level and how difficult/costly going that route might be. Time will tell. In the meantime, thanks again for your feedback. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-08-2002, 11:47 PM
GPaloz
My Feedback: (1)

I built one and powered it with an OS 61. Flew very well. I'd put in the retracts you won't regret it. Make sure you get your cooling of the engine right, dead sticking a Corsair can get intresting very fast. Good Luck.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:02 AM
tivey

Default corsair

Top-flite's dummy radial engine is very nice.Also back it with a plywood plate to stiffen it.Makes a great air baffle.Tivey
Old 09-09-2002, 09:44 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Consider building the plane for retracts but, until you get some flying experience with it, mount fixed gear on the retract mounts. I did this and it worked well. Once I got familiar with the plane and its landing characteristics, I put the retracts in.
Old 09-09-2002, 11:24 PM
Juice

Blueskyer,

You are starting out in this hobby almost exactly like I did. I bought my LT-40 ARF late in the flying season. The Real Flight simulator really accelerated my flying abilities and I got my wings within 1 gallon on fuel. Shortly after I bought the Top Flite Corsair Gold Edition kit. Everyone also told me that I was crazy to build it as my 2nd airplane and that I should save it for my 4th or 5th.

Two weekend after I got my wing, I was humbled... my first crash. My LT-40 was stuck 80 feet up a tree for almost 3 weeks. During that time I bought a used Super Sportster 40 as low wing trainer. I was so NOT ready for the Sportster. I unofficially put myself back in training while I learned to fly it. A few weeks later, i was humbled again... my second crash. An unlucky dead stick landing broke the Sportsters wing.

To make a long story short... An ARF, repairs on the ARF, and a scratch built wing is all the building experience I have for the TF Corsair. To tell you the truth, I don't think it's enough. But that's not going to stop us Corsair lovers from building it... right!?

But the internet is a great resource, and so are your club members and the friendly people at the hobby shop. Ask questions if you are unsure of anything, you'll be surprised how helpful and encouraging other modelers are. Read all you can about construction techniques. Read crash stories, because not only can you learn from your own mistakes, you can learn from the mistakes others as well. If you are unsure of a technique, do it first on scrap to determine if it will work, then do it for real on the Corsair.

When I bought the kit, I thought it might take me a year to build. A year later I'm not even finished the wing. My build strategy is "slow but sure". Maybe next year it will fly. The Corsair is a great warbird and building the kit will soon become a labour of love.

Juice
Old 09-10-2002, 12:34 AM
blueskyer

Juice -

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement. I was happy that there's somebody out there who can understand my motives.

I, too, have long admired the Corsair, long before I had any involvement in RC Flying. I live close to the one of the places they built the Corsair, the old Chance Vought plant in Stratford, CT & that seems to make the plane even more special to me.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Blueskyer
Old 09-10-2002, 02:39 PM
blangle

Default pre-Corsair Airplane?

Great words on not diving strait to the Corsair. I'm still on my fist plane (Star 40) and have respect for the guidance on the gull-wing being the 4/5th plane.

What's the 3rd plane type that will get me to the Corsair? I'm thinking the Zero or Spitfire ARF as a 2nd plane and want to plan my flying "career" accordingly.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:48 AM
bob_in_lv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This tread has been an interesting read, thanks.

I'm building a TF Corsair and planning to put doors on for the retracts. I'd be interested in ideas for controlling them.

Also, why is it better to use two servos for the ailerons?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Glowpower

I had this corsair in 93 or 94 it flew like a low wing trainer at low speeds, always stalled forward. Had a st-90 and flaps. I never used the flaps, didnt need them. the plane was stable.
It would take off in 10 to 15 feet. I sold it around 95 to another club member.(I got out of the hobby for awhile) I am buying another soon. Good luck
Old 03-04-2003, 07:54 AM
shupack

bob, i'm almost to painting mine now, the bellcrank setup as per plans has a very sharp angle at the connection to the servo, and with bellcranks you have 6 points to add slop to each aileron, if you use mini servos you have 2 points to add slop. it adds little or no weight, and is easier (imho) to adjust.

for the doors check out
http://www.sierraprecision.com/prod17.html

they should have everything you would need..
www.robart.com has gear door stuff too,

i'm not sure if they have anything small enough for the 1/8 crowd though. i think it'd be tricky to get it right that small.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:57 PM
tivey

Default corsair 60 topflite

My tf corsair came out at 10 pounds and 3 ounces. I did however install all the options.cockpit kit,dummy engine,flaps,full pilot,os91fx engine with the top flite special muffler and header.Also used two standard aileron servos,and used ultracoat for covering.Mine flies very well.Another thing you may consider doing during construction is to install shear webs even though they dont call for it.Made my wing alot stronger.I stalled the air tank in the fuse with the airvalve and av servo in the wing center.Tivey
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60229_7.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	15696  
Old 03-04-2003, 02:56 PM
bob_in_lv

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Shupack.

I found an article at RC Universe on using a trip wire and spring to control the doors. I think I'll try that. I'll make the doors out of reinforced fiberglass and use two brass hinges.

How much torque is needed for the aileron servos?
Old 03-04-2003, 03:53 PM
ads8525
My Feedback: (34)

Default aileron servos

I to am buliding a tf corsair 60 size...this is my 3rd airplane, all my other palnes have been trainers and ready to fly...I am hoping to move up in skill level while building my corsair so hopefully the day i finish it i can fly it...anyways, i see a lot of suggestions on using two servos for ailerons as oppose to one...can anyone tell me how and show some pics on how to modify the internal structure of the wing to allow me to add the two servos to the wing for the ailerons....thanks in advance to all....
Old 03-04-2003, 09:45 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aileron Servos

ads8525,
There really is not a modification per se. You do not install the bell-cranks and push rods. the servos are mounted on hatches lying on their side. Mine will be located 1 section closer to the center with the control horn near the inner end of the aileron. You will need to plan for and drill holes to run the servo extension leads. I hope this helps. Will post a picture when I have it done. Pete
Old 03-04-2003, 10:03 PM
ads8525

Default thanks

Hey rocketman thank you for the reply...would you please post those pics when you get a chance so i can get an idea of what it would look like...thanks again
Old 03-05-2003, 09:00 AM
Devo

Here's my solution to the problem.

Name:	60508_19237.jpg
Views:	1118
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	15697  
Old 03-05-2003, 09:24 AM
Devo

I reinforced the rib with plywood, doubled the inside of the rib for the servo screws and also, after this picture, added shear webs out past the servo.

Name:	60510_19237.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	15698  
Old 03-05-2003, 06:02 PM
ads8525

Default Nice

I like that method, as opposed to having the servos hanging out of the bottom of the wing...doing it your method how will you gain access to the servos if needed? access doors? also, will you run your linkages to your aileron as per plan or differently?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Devo

My plan is to cut an access hole when needed. Thats basically why I took these pictures; to show servo location. Also, when I installed the servo extensions, I left enough slack to reach the servo plug with the servo removed. I know this method will be more difficult to service, if or when needed. But I feel it is a lighter, easier to construct and also a cleaner installation. The push-rods exit in the plan location. I used soldered metal clevises on the servo side and set the push-rod length per the plan. So after sheeting the wing looks as though it's built per plan.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:25 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Servo mounting

ads8525,
Devo's installation does look sweet. But access will be a problem. This is a picture of how I am going to install mine. This is from my Outlaw construction thread in the Extreme Prop forum. The servo is totally hidden lying on it's side mounted to hardwood that is epoxied to 3/32 ply. the hatch is screwed to hardwood spar material. The servo is easily serviced if needed. Having a problem posting a photo will post shortly.Pete

Name:	60762_2480.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	15699  
Old 03-06-2003, 07:13 AM
william hartman

Default TF Corsair

I am just finising up mine, doing the glassing tonight. It has robart retracts,flaps and the new RCV 120 with a 4 blade prop, currently weighs 9lbs 3oz, everything installed no finish. I also have working frontal gear doors, if your interested I'll send some pictures. Good luck!!! I hope yours and mine fly as well as the all your replies...Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.