Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
800mZero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

nope

simply "The last"
Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 AM
800mZero

ok hint british
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 800mZero

ok what was the signifigance of the nose art ''The last''
Okay, I'm back. Knowing this had to refer to a Spitfire, the rest was easy. Thanks; Ernie P.

http://nhw.vistapanel.net/page8.html

These are the three photographs which led directly to the RAF recently commemorating the last operational flight of a Spitfire, which took place in Singapore in 1954.

The last Spitfire was distinguished by its hand painted words "THE LAST!" on the engine cover, a fact not widely known until July 2002 when a photo taken by George Yallop, appeared in a national newspaper.

The images show the moments after the final operational flight of a Spitfire with the RAF. They depict Spitfire PS 888 before, during and after the painting onto the port engine cowling of the now famous words “THE LAST!”.

The RAF commemorated the 50th anniversary of this event in 2004 by recreating the unique look of Spitfire PS888 on an identical Spitfire. High resolution copies were supplied to the Royal Air Force’s Battle of Britain Memorial Flight so that they could accurately repaint an identical aircraft from their collection.

Spitfire PS915 of the BBMF now proudly wears the markings of this aeroplane and regularly performs in displays around the UK and abroad representing “THE LAST!”

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 AM
800mZero

Ernie is up!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Ernie P.

Ernie is up!
Thanks, 800mZero. Okay; this is a fastball. No curves or knuckles involved; right over the center of the plate. This question refers to a single warbird aircraft; not a “series” of aircraft, such as a Nieuport 11 or Hurricane. If the plane was, for example, a Hurricane; I’m looking for the number of the aircraft, the name of the pilot, and details as to why this aircraft stands out in history. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What was the single most successful scout or fighter aircraft ever flown by the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) Royal Flying Corp (RFC) or Royal Air Force (RAF)? Who flew the plane; and why was it considered to be so successful? I want the type of aircraft; the number; the pilot and some details.

Clues:

(1) This plane shot down more enemy aircraft than any other single aircraft.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Ernie P.

Okay; this is a fastball. No curves or knuckles involved; right over the center of the plate. This question refers to a single warbird aircraft; not a “series” of aircraft, such as a Nieuport 11 or Hurricane. If the plane was, for example, a Hurricane; I’m looking for the number of the aircraft, the name of the pilot, and details as to why this aircraft stands out in history.

Question: What was the single most successful scout or fighter aircraft ever flown by the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) Royal Flying Corp (RFC) or Royal Air Force (RAF)? Who flew the plane; and why was it considered to be so successful? I want the type of aircraft; the number; the pilot and some details. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) This plane shot down more enemy aircraft than any other single aircraft.

(2) The pilot involved never scored a victory in another aircraft of this type.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:25 PM
SimonCraig1

William Barker with Sopwith Camel #B6313 shot down 46 enemy aircraft.

For part of this period he was the CO of a Bristol Fighter squadron but managed to keep the Camel and fly it operationally. Towards the end of its lifetime he had a red-devil mascot fitted to the nose.

Barker joined the Canadian Mounted Rifles in December 1914. He spent a year in the trenches before transferring to the Royal Flying Corps in April 1916. After starting out as a mechanic, he qualified as an observer in August 1916 and shot down his first enemy aircraft from the rear seat of a B.E.2d. Posted to England in November 1916, he soloed after 55 minutes of dual instruction and received his pilot's certificate in January 1917. A month later, he was back in France flying an R.E.8 until wounded by anti-aircraft fire on 7 August 1917. When he recovered, he served as a flight instructor before returning to combat duty in France. In November 1917, his squadron was reassigned to Italy where Barker's Sopwith Camel became the single most successful fighter aircraft of the war. Logging more than 379 hours of flight time, Barker shot down 46 enemy aircraft before Camel #B6313 was retired from service and dismantled on 2 October 1918. That month, he assumed command of the air combat school at Hounslow. Deciding he needed to brush up on air combat techniques for his new assignment, Barker joined 201 Squadron for ten days in France. During that time, he saw no action and was about to return to England when he decided to make one more excursion over the front. On 27 October 1918, alone and flying a Sopwith Snipe, he encountered sixty Fokker D.VIIs flying in stepped formation. In an epic battle with Jagdgeschwader 3, Barker shot down four enemy aircraft despite appalling wounds to both legs and his elbow. Fainting from pain and loss of blood, he managed to crash land his Snipe within the safety of the British lines. For his actions that day, Barker received the Victoria Cross (VC).
Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

William Barker with Sopwith Camel #B6313 shot down 46 enemy aircraft.

For part of this period he was the CO of a Bristol Fighter squadron but managed to keep the Camel and fly it operationally. Towards the end of its lifetime he had a red-devil mascot fitted to the nose.

Barker joined the Canadian Mounted Rifles in December 1914. He spent a year in the trenches before transferring to the Royal Flying Corps in April 1916. After starting out as a mechanic, he qualified as an observer in August 1916 and shot down his first enemy aircraft from the rear seat of a B.E.2d. Posted to England in November 1916, he soloed after 55 minutes of dual instruction and received his pilot's certificate in January 1917. A month later, he was back in France flying an R.E.8 until wounded by anti-aircraft fire on 7 August 1917. When he recovered, he served as a flight instructor before returning to combat duty in France. In November 1917, his squadron was reassigned to Italy where Barker's Sopwith Camel became the single most successful fighter aircraft of the war. Logging more than 379 hours of flight time, Barker shot down 46 enemy aircraft before Camel #B6313 was retired from service and dismantled on 2 October 1918. That month, he assumed command of the air combat school at Hounslow. Deciding he needed to brush up on air combat techniques for his new assignment, Barker joined 201 Squadron for ten days in France. During that time, he saw no action and was about to return to England when he decided to make one more excursion over the front. On 27 October 1918, alone and flying a Sopwith Snipe, he encountered sixty Fokker D.VIIs flying in stepped formation. In an epic battle with Jagdgeschwader 3, Barker shot down four enemy aircraft despite appalling wounds to both legs and his elbow. Fainting from pain and loss of blood, he managed to crash land his Snipe within the safety of the British lines. For his actions that day, Barker received the Victoria Cross (VC).
Right you are, Sir. You have the next question. Barker and B6313 were something special. Although other pilots flew B6313, none of them ever scored a victory while doing so. And Barker never scored a victory while flying another Camel. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
SimonCraig1

Having finally got one right... I just want to mention I really enjoy this thread.

So here goes....

As far as I am aware, only one warplane has ever been painted to represent the Egyptian god Horus.

What was the plane?
Who was the manufacturer?
Why on earth did they do this?
Old 05-28-2010, 06:17 AM
800mZero

The Ruston proctor works sopwith camel was produced in the Ruston Proctor works in Lincoln 1917. To celebrate the 1000th Camel built by the Ruston Proctor Factory, permission was sought produce a special doping pattern. The scheme was commissioned because of Colonel Ruston's obsession with ancient Egyptology and the Falcon God, Horus.

As legend has it, the magician Thoth transformed Horus into a winged sun disk. In this incarnation Horus Bhedudet flew ahead of the chariot of Ra, smiting the minions of the evil God, Set, with his magical gaze.
Delivered to the front in January 1918, B7380 is thought to have never seen combat. B7380 returned to the UK in February that year. It was put to work along the length and breadth of Britain, towing behind it a large banner with the slogan "Buy War Bonds". Following the war, it remained in use at Martlesham in the UK as a combat trainer.
In its own way, B7380 did as much to help end "The War to end All Wars" as any other other aircraft that flew in those years of insanity. Probably the most colourful Sopwith Camel to ever grace the skies. Built by the Ruston Proctor factory in Lincoln in 1918 the special livery was designed to represent the wings of the Ancient Egyptian God, Horus Behudet.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:52 PM
SimonCraig1

800mZero has it in one!

a photograph of the Rushton Proctor 1000th Camel can be seen here: http://wwi-cookup.com/sopwith/camel/ruston1.html maybe one day I'll recover my Hanger 9 Camel to represent this one.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:06 PM
800mZero

ok what aircraft was rejected three times for approval to be built, but once the proto type was seen was put into immeadiate order?
This aircraft also featured three major firsts in aviationwhat were they?
Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Ernie P.

ok what aircraft was rejected three times for approval to be built, but once the proto type was seen was put into immeadiate order?
I'm going to take a stab at this; just to get this guess out of the way. I know the Ju-87 Stuka was rejected several times (British engine; original tail was weak; too slow; etc) before being put into production. Three major firsts? Take you choice of several; gull wings; dive brakes; spatted undercarriage; siren; auto pull out system; etc., etc. But.... I don't know about that bit about being rejected and then being put into prodction once the prototype was see. That part I must admit may not fit. Thanks; Ernie P.

The aircraft was easily recognizable by its inverted gull wings, fixed spatted undercarriage and its infamous Jericho-Trompete ("Jericho Trumpet") wailing siren, becoming the propaganda symbol of German air power and the "Blitzkrieg" victories of 1939-1942. The Stuka's design included several innovative features, including automatic pull-up dive brakes under both wings to ensure that the plane recovered from its attack dive even if the pilot blacked out from the high acceleration.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
800mZero

not the plane i was looking for think later in the war.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Ernie P.

Well; no one seems to have better ideas, so I'll take another stab at it. Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The British Mosquito; repeatedly rejected because the RAF wanted heavily armed bombers, not British versions of the German “Schnellbombers”. Only after testing of the prototype proved de Havilland's claims could be met, was production ordered.

Innovations? Wooden Construction; monocoque construction; RF heating of adhesive.

Citations
By the time testing was over and the Air Ministry had authorized mass production plans to be drawn up on 21 June 1941, the aircraft was the world's fastest operational aircraft. The Air Ministry authorized 19 PR. models and 176 fighters. A further 50 were unspecified. In July 1941, the Air Ministry confirmed these would be unarmed fast bombers. The Mosquito would enjoy its fastest aircraft status for another two and a half years. On 18 and 19 July 1941, M4050 was fitted with Merlin 61s and reached 433 mph (697 km/h) at 28,500 ft (8,690 m). Multiple ejector exhausts contributed to the increase in speed. On 20 October 1941, W4050 achieved a speed of 437 mph (703 km/h) in level flight. Using two-stage Merlin 77s, it reached 439 mph (706 km/h) in December 1943.

The casein glue was replaced by "Aerolite", a synthetic urea-formaldehyde adhesive developed by Dr. Norman de Bruyne[42] at Aero Research Limited (ARL), which was better able to resist deterioration in high humidity conditions. The de Havilland company also pioneered the use of radio frequency (RF) heating to accelerate curing of the adhesive.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 PM
800mZero

nope next hint

german

named after a bird of prey
Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
mobyal

The "Owl" nightfighter?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:29 AM
800mZero

there you go the owl he-219

first fully functioning intercept night radarfirst planned ejection seats, and first trike gear for the germans,
Old 05-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Ernie P.

While we're waiting on the next question, I thought I'd show you guys my new (new as in; not yet flown) RC warbird. I can't take any credit for the build, since I had it professionally built; but she looks great to me. What do you guys think? Thanks; Ernie P.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41093.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1445179   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44241.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1445180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68909.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1445181  
Old 05-30-2010, 04:44 PM
IRZoid

Hi Ernie,

Great looking airplane. Is that a Glenn Torrance D-6 ?

Bill
Old 05-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: IRZoid

Hi Ernie,

Great looking airplane. Is that a Glenn Torrance D-6 ?

Bill
Yep; it's a GTM 1/4 scale D-6. David Gates (He advertises occasionally here on RCU; but not very often. His build schedule stays pretty full. Check out his website at http://www.matoonline.com/davidsHobbies.htm .) built the plane and John Richardson covered it and did the detail work. They both did a great job. She has a 75" wingspan and a Laser 200 4 stroke engine. David thinks GTM makes the best kits going. I can't argue. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:10 PM
800mZero

Ok Ernie -guess your upunless you want to pass off to IRzoid for correctly naming your plane!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Ernie P.

Ok Ernie -guess your upunless you want to pass off to IRzoid for correctly naming your plane!
I'll toss a softball question. This one is easy; even with a little bit of spin. In fact, I'll give you a whole bunch of clues, just to start things out. <eg> Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
What WWI ace am I describing?

Clues:
(1) He stood approximately 5’ 10”; with blonde hair and blue eyes.
(2) He was born into a military family; and attended a military academy.
(3) He initially served on the ground, before becoming an airman.
(4) He served as an observer; before becoming a pilot.
(5) His initial assignment as a pilot was flying two seater observation planes.
(6) His first victory was scored while flying an observation plane.
(7) After being assigned as a “scout” pilot, he adopted the tactics of his hero; who was himself a high scoring ace. He refined those tactics and taught them to the pilots he led.
(8) He scored many of his victories flying an all red Albatross D-III.
(9) He was one of his country’s most highly decorated pilots.
(10) He was forced to take a lengthy leave; because it was feared his death in combat would affect morale on the home front.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MVR?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: proptop

MVR?
Okay; watch closely now, because this is the spin I mentioned. NO! It was *not* the Red Baron; Oberleutnant Rittmeister Baron Manfred Von Richthofen. Talk about some amazing coincidences.... This profile actually fits *another* ace of WWI. The things you learn... Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
What WWI ace am I describing?
Clues:
(1) He stood approximately 5’ 10”; with blonde hair and blue eyes.
(2) He was born into a military family; and attended a military academy.
(3) He initially served on the ground, before becoming an airman.
(4) He served as an observer; before becoming a pilot.
(5) His initial assignment as a pilot was flying two seater observation planes.
(6) His first victory was scored while flying an observation plane.
(7) After being assigned as a “scout” pilot, he adopted the tactics of his hero; who was himself a high scoring ace. He refined those tactics and taught them to the pilots he led.
(8) He scored many of his victories flying an all red Albatross D-III.
(9) He was one of his country’s most highly decorated pilots.
(10) He was forced to take a lengthy leave; because it was feared his death in combat would affect morale on the home front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.