Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 PM
800mZero
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Oswald Boelcke
Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: 800mZero

Oswald Boelcke
Nope. Maybe another clue will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
What WWI ace am I describing?
Clues:
(1) He stood approximately 5’ 10”; with blonde hair and blue eyes.
(2) He was born into a military family; and attended a military academy.
(3) He initially served on the ground, before becoming an airman.
(4) He served as an observer; before becoming a pilot.
(5) His initial assignment as a pilot was flying two seater observation planes.
(6) His first victory was scored while flying an observation plane.
(7) After being assigned as a β€œscout” pilot, he adopted the tactics of his hero; who was himself a high scoring ace. He refined those tactics and taught them to the pilots he led.
(8) He scored many of his victories flying an all red Albatross D-III.
(9) He was one of his country’s most highly decorated pilots.
(10) He was forced to take a lengthy leave; because it was feared his death in combat would affect morale on the home front.
(11) He served on the Eastern Front against Russia, before transferring to the air service.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:28 AM
mobyal

The Red Baron himself, Manfred von Richthofen (sp?)?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:39 AM
800mZero

Karl Emil SchΓ€fer or How bout the Red Barons brother Lothar?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Ernie P.

Karl Emil SchΓ€fer or How bout the Red Barons brother Lothar?
Nope; no good answers yet. Nice try with Lothar, though. That was good thinking. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:49 PM
SimonCraig1

How about old 'fatty'.

The son of a distinguished army officer, Hermann GΓΆring was commissioned in the Prussian army on 22 June 1912. In 1914, he served with an infantry regiment in the Vosges region before he was hospitalized with rheumatoid arthritis. While recovering, his friend Bruno Loerzer convinced him to transfer to the German Air Force. Later that year, GΓΆring completed his training with FEA 3 and joined FFA 25 in 1915, often flying as Loerzer's observer. After training to become a pilot, he scored his first victory on 16 November 1915. He was wounded in action on 16 July 1917. Serving with various units over the next three years, he accumulated seventeen more victories. Following the death of Wilhelm Reinhard, GΓΆring assumed command of Manfred von Richthofen's JG I on 8 July 1918.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

How about old 'fatty'.

The son of a distinguished army officer, Hermann GΓΆring was commissioned in the Prussian army on 22 June 1912. In 1914, he served with an infantry regiment in the Vosges region before he was hospitalized with rheumatoid arthritis. While recovering, his friend Bruno Loerzer convinced him to transfer to the German Air Force. Later that year, GΓΆring completed his training with FEA 3 and joined FFA 25 in 1915, often flying as Loerzer's observer. After training to become a pilot, he scored his first victory on 16 November 1915. He was wounded in action on 16 July 1917. Serving with various units over the next three years, he accumulated seventeen more victories. Following the death of Wilhelm Reinhard, GΓΆring assumed command of Manfred von Richthofen's JG I on 8 July 1918.
Wow! Another good, although incorrect, answer. But, good thinking! Think about it, guys.... Red Albatross D-III; blonde and blue eyed; military family and schooling; a high scoring WWI ace. If no correct answers by tonight, I'll start with the giveaway clues. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
800mZero

Udet or Wolf?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:13 PM
IRZoid

How about Rudolf Berthold

Bill
Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Ernie P.

Okay; no correct guesses so far. The next two clues should give it away. The first of those two has been added. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
What WWI ace am I describing?
Clues:
(1) He stood approximately 5’ 10”; with blonde hair and blue eyes.
(2) He was born into a military family; and attended a military academy.
(3) He initially served on the ground, before becoming an airman.
(4) He served as an observer; before becoming a pilot.
(5) His initial assignment as a pilot was flying two seater observation planes.
(6) His first victory was scored while flying an observation plane.
(7) After being assigned as a β€œscout” pilot, he adopted the tactics of his hero; who was himself a high scoring ace. He refined those tactics and taught them to the pilots he led.
(8) He scored many of his victories flying an all red Albatross D-III.
(9) He was one of his country’s most highly decorated pilots.
(10) He was forced to take a lengthy leave; because it was feared his death in combat would affect morale on the home front.
(11) He served on the Eastern Front against Russia, before transferring to the air service.
(12) He designed a squadron insignia, flown by all his pilots; A white (sometimes described as a pale yellow) skull on a black background.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Godwin Brumowski?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
cfircav8r

I think the fact he was Austro-Hungarian was throwing everyone off.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

Godwin Brumowski?
That would be the man. While reading of Brumowski, I was struck by how much his background, etc., matched with Richthofens. Congratulations! You get to ask the next question. Thanks; Ernie P.

-Background-
Godwin Brumowski (26 July 1889 – 3 June 1936) was the most successful fighter ace of the Austro-Hungarian Air Force during World War I. He was officially credited with 35 air victories, (including 12 shared with other pilots) with 8 others unconfirmed because they fell behind Allied lines. Brumowski rose to command of all his country’s fighter aviation fighting Italy on the Isonzo front.[2]
Brumowski was born into a military family in Wadowice, Galicia, in what is now Poland. He attended the Technical Military Academy in Vienna and graduated as a leutnant (second lieutenant) on 18 August 1910. He was serving in the 6th Artillery Division and had just turned 25 when war was declared against Serbia on 28 July 1914. He served on the Eastern front against Russia, winning both a Bronze and Silver Military Medal for Bravery before transferring to air service in der kaiserliche und kΓΆnigliche Luftfahrtruppen (the Imperial and Royal Aviation Troops).
He was posted to Fliegerkompagnie 1 (abbreviated Flik 1) in July 1915; his flight log describes him as 1.77 meters (5 feet 10 inches) tall, with blue eyes and light blond hair. He was assigned as Hauptmann Otto Jindra’s observer.
On 12 April 1916 Jindra was his pilot when Brumowski participated in his first daring act in his new unit; they bombed a military review attended by Czar Nicholas II. In the process, they shot down two of the seven Russian Morane-Saulnier Parasol two-seaters that attempted to drive them off.
On 3 July 1916 Brumowski became a pilot with Flik 1, despite the defective vision in his right eye that he corrected with a monocle. In November, he transferred to Flik 12 on the Italian Front. He helped down an Italian Caproni bomber on 3 December. On 2 January he became an ace when he was victorious over an Italian Farman two-seater while piloting a Hansa-Brandenburg C.I. It is notable that Brumowski became an ace while still flying two-seater craft basically unsuited for air to air combat.
The next month, when Flik 41J was established on the Italian Front as Austro-Hungary’s first dedicated fighter squadron, Brumowski was chosen to command it. He spent nine days in March flying four sorties with the Germans of Jagdgstaffel 24 to learn German fighter tactics, before assuming his command. While here he met the Red Baron, Manfred von Richthofen; Brumowski would later copy the baron's aircraft paint scheme for his own plane.
Brumowski continued amassing victories through May, ending the month with a total of eight. By now, he was flying a single seat fighter, the Hansa-Brandenburg D.I. Although better suited for air to air combat than the C.1, it still suffered three major disadvantages: the pilot's vision was partially obstructed, the single machine gun was not synchronized to fire through the propeller arc., and it was a tricky craft to fly because it was easy to spin. at any altitude. Aiming and firing a gun mounted above and ahead of the pilot was more difficult than simply aiming the airplane at the enemy and firing a synchronized gun.
By October 1917, his Albatross had been painted red, and when airborne, his squadron was easily identified by the macabre insignia Brumowski designed: a white skull on a black background.
He died in a plane crash while instructing a student at Schipol Airfield, in Holland.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Ernie P.

I think the fact he was Austro-Hungarian was throwing everyone off.
Very possibly. Well, flying an Albatross D-3; he was pretty much going to have to be German, Turkish or Austro-Hungarian. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
800mZero

ernie that was a good one-I scoured!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 AM
cfircav8r

What is the only confirmed/suspected kill by a Mig 29 to date, and what were the circumstances?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:04 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iran-Iraq war mig 29 downing a mig 29 1980
Old 06-02-2010, 12:19 PM
cfircav8r

Wrong war and wrong A/C, but one country is correct.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Russians vs Russians, air show.........2migs up, 2 migs down
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM
cfircav8r

Mid-air doesn't really count, but it is along those lines.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

From the unreliable wikipedia;

MiG-29s saw combat in the 1991 Persian Gulf War with the Iraqi Air Force. According to the USAF, five MiG-29s were shot down, all by USAF F-15s. A lone confirmed kill by the Iraqi airforce was on the 19th january, 6sqn MiG29 flown by Jameel Sayhood used R60MK to shot down RAF Tornado GR1A flown by Lennox/Weeks.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
cfircav8r

I don't think I would trust that one as I have not seen that story anywhere else. The one I am thinking of I have seen on multiple sites and heard through military sources. A coalition aircraft was only partly involved. Correct war however.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM
cfircav8r

This one may be open to too much debate. There is a lot of "we said, they said" around this one. The one I am thinking of is an F-15 was engaged by a Mig 29 and his Mig 25 wingman, The 29 fired on the 15, but instead hit the 25 downing it so technically an air victory. During the insuing dogfight the 29 flew into terrain, and was destroyed.

Instead how about this one.

What successful bombing campain was halted due to the media's self censorship? (would never happen today)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Ernie P.

ernie that was a good one-I scoured!
Thank you, Sir. Glad to see I had an expert stumped. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead how about this one.

What successful bombing campain was halted due to the media's self censorship? (would never happen today)
During the first iraq war(before Iraq quit) , the Highway from Kuwait to Iraq as the Iraq army was bugging out to go home with their loot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.