Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

That was stopped by the media coverage. Think earlier.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it couldn't be in WW II with Dresden ,and a few other ruined cities.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

This one may be open to too much debate. There is a lot of ''we said, they said'' around this one. The one I am thinking of is an F-15 was engaged by a Mig 29 and his Mig 25 wingman, The 29 fired on the 15, but instead hit the 25 downing it so technically an air victory. During the insuing dogfight the 29 flew into terrain, and was destroyed.

Instead how about this one.

What successful bombing campain was halted due to the media's self censorship? (would never happen today)
To clarify: You're saying the successful bombing campaign was halted *because* the media self imposed censorship upon themselves? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:28 AM
cfircav8r

Yes, and a hint it was WWII and no pilots were involved.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Ernie P.

Yes, and a hint it was WWII and no pilots were involved.
So the Germans stopped the V-1 flights because the Allied media hid the results? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Ernie P.

This one may be open to too much debate. There is a lot of ''we said, they said'' around this one. The one I am thinking of is an F-15 was engaged by a Mig 29 and his Mig 25 wingman, The 29 fired on the 15, but instead hit the 25 downing it so technically an air victory. During the insuing dogfight the 29 flew into terrain, and was destroyed.

Instead how about this one.

What successful bombing campain was halted due to the media's self censorship? (would never happen today)
Just guessing here; but could you be talking about the "disinformation" campaign by British Intelligence Services, which convinced the Germans to re-target the V-1's and V-2's? I know the newspapers went along with the plot willingly. Is the below what you're referencing? Thanks; Ernie P.

An estimated 2,754 civilians were killed in London by V-2 attacks with another 6,523 injured,[29] which is two people killed per V-2 rocket. However, this understates the potential of the V-2, since many rockets were misdirected and exploded harmlessly. Accuracy increased greatly over the course of the war, particularly on batteries where Leitstrahl-Guide Beam apparatus was installed, with V-2s sometimes landing within meters of the target.[30] Accurately targeted missiles were often devastating, causing large numbers of deaths—160 killed and 108 seriously injured (the worst loss of life in a single V2 attack), in one explosion on 25 November 1944 in mid-afternoon, striking a Woolworth's department store in New Cross, south-east London (plus 108 seriously injured) and 567 deaths in a cinema in Antwerp—and significant damage in the critically important Antwerp docks.

As a result of such deadly targeting, British intelligence leaked falsified information implying that the rockets were over-shooting their London target by 10 to 20 miles. This tactic worked and for the remainder of the war most landed in Kent due to erroneous recalibration.[31]

The final two exploded on 27 March 1945. One of these represented the last V2 to kill a British civilian: Mrs. Ivy Millichamp, aged 34, killed in her home in Elm Grove, Orpington in Kent, evidencing the German re-calibration.

A scientific reconstruction carried out in 2010 demonstrated that the V2 creates a crater 20m wide and 8m deep, throwing up around 3000 tons of material into the air.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
cfircav8r

Close, but that was due to misinformation this was just a lack of information making the enemy believe they never made it. Hint 2: think long distance.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the Fu-Go (Japanese Balloon Bombs)?
Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

I agree, the Fu-Go's. The press claimed only one bomb made it to the US, and thus Japan stopped using them. In reality over 300 were thought ot have made it to the US.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:18 PM
cfircav8r

P-51B you are correct, and while they did not have the precision of the V-2's they wreaked havok on the west coast. they started forest and grass fires that had it continued could have gotten out of control and threatened war production. After the first report the media was asked to not report any more in the hopes that Japan would give up the bombing and it worked. What are the odds that the media would listen today?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Ernie P.

P-51B you are correct, and while they did not have the precision of the V-2's they wreaked havok on the west coast. they started forest and grass fires that had it continued could have gotten out of control and threatened war production. After the first report the media was asked to not report any more in the hopes that Japan would give up the bombing and it worked. What are the odds that the media would listen today?
Now that it has been mentioned, I remember reading something (Readers Digest?) a long time ago, about the media cooperating in the deception. That had slipped my mind, until I saw it here. Great question! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:42 PM
P-51B

O.K., I am going to change it up a bit just for a little break from all the history (weekend and all!)

What are the items in the photo, and why did I find them particularly interesting (besides the obvious fact of what they are)?

I won't be able to check back in until late tomorrow, but you should all be out flying anyway right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59888.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1447966  
Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Packard Merlin engines maybe rebuilt for a P 51 also there appears to be one(red/white/blue)that might even been installed in Miss Budweiser .... Sure looks like quite the investment for the owner,which appears to have cornered the market
Old 06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: P-51B

O.K., I am going to change it up a bit just for a little break from all the history (weekend and all!)

What are the items in the photo, and why did I find them particularly interesting (besides the obvious fact of what they are)?

I won't be able to check back in until late tomorrow, but you should all be out flying anyway right?
Is it just me; or is that relatively flimsy looking shelving holding almost 40,000 pounds? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 AM
IRZoid

Could it be that these engines are Allison V-1710's and would have been in P-51B's, the same as your forum name and that appears to be a scaled down wing of a P-51.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 AM
P-51B

Irzoid, you have the Allison engine part, but they would have been used in the P-51A or other aircraft, not the B or later model which used the Merlin.

As a clue to the second part of the question; look closely at what each of them is sitting on (not the shelves Ernie, although that was a funny answer!).
Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Ernie P.

Irzoid, you have the Allison engine part, but they would have been used in the P-51A or other aircraft, not the B or later model which used the Merlin.

As a clue to the second part of the question; look closely at what each of them is sitting on (not the shelves Ernie, although that was a funny answer!).
Okay; they're all ready to ship. There's a big market in rebuilding Allison's for other aircraft, whose engines aren't available. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:58 AM
P-51B

Irzoid and Ernie, you have each come close to the correct answer, so whichever one comes up with the next question first and posts it, is up!

The full answer is that they are Allison engines, and the part I found really interesting is that are all FACTORY NEW and still attached to their ORIGINAL shipping pallets, including the signed final inspection tags! (this according to the tour guide)

They can be seen in person by anyone stopping by the Fantasy Flight Museum in Florida.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Ernie P.

Irzoid and Ernie, you have each come close to the correct answer, so whichever one comes up with the next question first and posts it, is up!

The full answer is that they are Allison engines, and the part I found really interesting is that are all FACTORY NEW and still attached to their ORIGINAL shipping pallets, including the signed final inspection tags! (this according to the tour guide)

They can be seen in person by anyone stopping by the Fantasy Flight Museum in Florida.
Actually, I noticed that; but didn't attach any significance to it. Oh, well.

I've had plenty of opportunity to ask questions; so I'll give Irzoid a couple of hours head start. But no more than a few hours! <g> Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
IRZoid

I thought I had seen those before. I was at Fantasy of Flight a few weeks ago. It's a great museum.

Ernie, go ahead with your question, I don't have one ready.

Bill
Old 06-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: IRZoid

I thought I had seen those before. I was at Fantasy of Flight a few weeks ago. It's a great museum.

Ernie, go ahead with your question, I don't have one ready.

Bill
Okay; this is a curious question. It should be an easy one; but it's one a lot of people don't know. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
During WWII, the exploits of German fighter pilots, such as Hartmann, Barkhorn, Marseilles, etc are well known. What isn't so well known is that the German fighter forces were, from the very beginning, always handicapped by Luftwaffe policy. What was this Luftwaffe policy; and how did it affect the fighter forces?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

One word.

Göring
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the Amerricans later in the war, they could not leave the bombers
Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about it was strictly a tactical airforce with no startegic or long range forces
Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Ernie P.

Several good, and true, answers; but not what I'm looking for. It isn't opinion, it wasn't tactics, it was one very simple policy. Thanks; Ernie P.

Okay; this is a curious question. It should be an easy one; but it's one a lot of people don't know. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:
During WWII, the exploits of German fighter pilots, such as Hartmann, Barkhorn, Marseilles, etc are well known. What isn't so well known is that the German fighter forces were, from the very beginning, always handicapped by Luftwaffe policy. What was this Luftwaffe policy; and how did it affect the fighter forces?

Clues:

(1) This policy was in effect from the very beginning of the Luftwaffe, well prior to the start of WWII; and ensured the fighter force Germany created was less than what it might have been. Germany arguably could have fielded a much better fighter force, but for this simple policy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.