Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?
Clues:
  1. This pilot was not an ace.
  2. Nor was he a pre-war pilot.
  3. In fact, he was a teacher prior to becoming a wartime pilot.
  4. Nevertheless, his exploits earned him a degree of fame.
  5. Although a few people were convinced he was completely mad.
  6. He won several medals for his service.
  7. He also, as a pilot, found himself fighting in a ground combat role; although perhaps not intentionally at first.
  8. He performed heroically, but accidentally fired upon a friendly unit.
  9. He was threatened with a court martial or equivalent trial.
  10. However, a well-known general intervened in things and refused to allow the court martial to take place.
  11. He became ill, and was discharged from the service.
  12. He recovered and resumed his teaching career.
  13. The armament innovation for which he is best known was actually pioneered by other pilots; but he is the best known, and most accomplished, of the pilots utilizing the new armament.
  14. His active combat field service lasted less than a year.
  15. By the end of the war, he was a Major. That fact is significant.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Greg Boyington
Old 01-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Greg Boyington
No, not Boyington; but here's an evening clue to guide your path. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  7. He also, as a pilot, found himself fighting in a ground combat role; although perhaps not intentionally at first.
  10. However, a well-known general intervened in things and refused to allow the court martial to take place.
  13. The armament innovation for which he is best known was actually pioneered by other pilots; but he is the best known, and most accomplished, of the pilots utilizing the new armament.
  16. His plane’s name was inspired by the iconic wartime heroine “Rosie the Riveter”.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM
Ernie P.

Sorry, to be late with a morning clue guys; but RCU has been running pretty slowly lately. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  16. His plane’s name was inspired by the iconic wartime heroine “Rosie the Riveter”.
  17. Interestingly enough, he became well known under two different nicknames.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  18. As a result of the friendly fire incident, he was arrested; and was told he might face a firing squad.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:26 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, since nobody else is taking the bait, I'm going to suggest "Bazooka Charlie" Carpenter, a former history teacher who shot tanks with bazookas attached to his L-4. As far as I can tell, he fits all the clues. Great story! Among other things, I had no idea that field grade officers flew liason planes in WWII. I'd somehow gotten the impression that most of those pilots were sergeants who had washed out of pilot training. Here's one version of Major (later Lieutenant Colonel) Carpenter's story:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q="Bazooka+Charlie"+Carpenter
Old 01-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Top_Gunn
Okay, since nobody else is taking the bait, I'm going to suggest "Bazooka Charlie" Carpenter, a former history teacher who shot tanks with bazookas attached to his L-4. As far as I can tell, he fits all the clues. Great story! Among other things, I had no idea that field grade officers flew liason planes in WWII. I'd somehow gotten the impression that most of those pilots were sergeants who had washed out of pilot training. Here's one version of Major (later Lieutenant Colonel) Carpenter's story:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q="Bazooka+Charlie"+Carpenter

That's the guy, Top_Gunn; and you are up. He was known as both "Bazooka Charlie" and "The Mad Major"; which explains some of the references in the clues I gave. He was quite the character. Of particular interest is the friendly fire incident. I wonder who the idiot was who threatened him with a firing squad? Okay; you're up. Take it away. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:
  18. As a result of the friendly fire incident, he was arrested; and was told he might face a firing squad.
  19. The general mentioned in 10 above not only stopped the court martial, he gave our boy a medal.
  20. The general was George Patton.

Answer: Lt. Col Charles Carpenter; AKA The Mad Major and/or Bazooka Charlie

Lt. Col. Charles Carpenter, aka Bazooka Charlie, (1913 – 1966) was a U.S. Army officer and army observation pilot who served in World War II. He is best remembered for destroying several enemy armored vehicles in his bazooka-equipped L-4 Grasshopper light observation aircraft.
Carpenter was born and raised in the town of Edgington, Illinois. After graduation from college, Carpenter took a job teaching history.
Carpenter joined the Army in 1942. After completing flight training and receiving his artillery liaison wings, Carpenter flew light observation aircraft such as the L-4 Grasshopper (Piper Cub) and the Stinson L-5 Sentinel.
Upon arriving in France in 1944, Carpenter was assigned an L-4 for artillery support and reconnaissance missions. With a 150-pound pilot and no radio aboard, the L-4H had a combined cargo and passenger weight capacity of approximately 232 pounds.
Inspired by other L-4 pilots who had installed bazookas as anti-tank armament on their planes, Carpenter added bazooka launchers to his plane as well.
Within a few weeks, Carpenter was credited with knocking out a German armored car and four tanks. Carpenter's plane was known as "Rosie the Rocketer", and his exploits were soon featured in numerous press accounts, including Stars and Stripes, the Associated Press, Popular Science, the New York Sun, and Liberty Magazine. Carpenter once told a reporter that his idea of fighting a war was to "attack, attack and then attack again."
After destroying his fifth enemy tank, Carpenter told a Stars and Stripes correspondent that the "word must be getting around to watch out for Cubs with bazookas on them. Every time I show up now they shoot with everything they have. They never used to bother Cubs. Bazookas must be bothering them a bit."
By war's end, Major Carpenter had destroyed or immobilized several German armored cars and tanks (he would be officially credited with six tanks destroyed). He was awarded several medals for his actions.
Carpenter took part in ground combat as well. On one occasion near Avranches, Carpenter was scouting advance landing fields in a jeep when German forces attacked his position. Climbing aboard a Sherman tank, Carpenter took charge of a .50-caliber machine gun, while calling for troops around him to attack. Led by tank fire from Carpenter’s Sherman, the American forces drove attacking German forces back. Carpenter’s Sherman eventually ran into friendly forces, and accidentally fired on a Sherman bulldozer tank, blowing off the dozer blade. As a result of this friendly fire incident, Carpenter was placed under arrest and threatened with a firing squad until his commanding general came to his assistance. Told to expect a court-martial for his actions at Avranches, the decision to discipline Carpenter was reversed by General Patton himself, who not only stopped the court-martial proceedings but awarded the major the Silver Star for bravery. Carpenter, Patton said, was the “kind of fighting man he wanted in his army.”

In 1945, Carpenter became seriously ill, and was honorably discharged from U.S. Army service in 1946. He returned to work as a history teacher at Urbana High School in Urbana, Illinois, where he worked until his death in 1966 at the age of 53. Lt. Col Carpenter's remains are buried at Edgington Cemetery, in Illinois.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:22 AM
Top_Gunn

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to have to beg off this time. Much too busy at the moment to come up with a question, and I'll be out of town for a couple of days as well. I was going to stay out of the Bazooka Charlie round, but just couldn't take it after a couple of days with nobody else chiming in. So the floor is open.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:38 AM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely a AMERICAN Hero....Taking "Charge of the Situation" adapting and overcoming all odds...
Semper Fi
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM
Ernie P.

Gentlemen; Top_Gunn has declared the floor open. So, the first to post a question is up. Fire away. If no one posts a question by tomorrow, I'll see if I can come up with something a bit more challenging than my recent interrogatories. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:13 AM
castlebravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK....I'll pull the trigger.....
1) Single seat fighter
2) In Service for about 6 years
3) Built by one company however designer went on to a successful venture that has his name attached.

CB
Old 01-14-2016, 11:00 AM
castlebravo

1) Single seat fighter
3) Built by one company however designer went on to a successful venture that has his name attached.
4) This AC was a "first"
5) This AC used a licensed built engine that was licensed built

CB
Old 01-14-2016, 12:03 PM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Grumman F2F
Old 01-14-2016, 12:56 PM
castlebravo

Sorry Elmshoot, Not the F2F
1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"
6) This AC made early use of an aerodynamic device that is in common use today

CB

Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Mig 15
Old 01-15-2016, 08:14 AM
castlebravo

Sorry Hydro, not the Mig-15

1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"
7) While this AC was normally armed with 2ea. .30 cal (7.62mm) guns....one version had 2ea. 3" (76mm) cannons

CB
Old 01-15-2016, 11:52 AM
castlebravo

1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"
7) While this AC was normally armed with 2ea. .30 cal (7.62mm) guns....one version had 2ea. 3" (76mm) cannons
8) The final version of this AC had its wing area reduced by approximately 43 sq ft

CB
Old 01-15-2016, 12:16 PM
castlebravo

1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"
8) The final version of this AC had its wing area reduced by approximately 43 sq ft
9) While 369 of these were built throughout the run......only 3 had a "Mother"

CB
Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by castlebravo
1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"

CB

Castlebravo; have we lost you? It's time for a new clue; at least one each 24 hours. . Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:55 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Ernie P.
Castlebravo; have we lost you? It's time for a new clue; at least one each 24 hours. . Thanks; Ernie P.
All; we are rapidly approaching three days since castlebravo has posted a new clue or made contact. If he doesn't post a new clue soon, we will have to assume he has run into a problem and move on. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 AM
castlebravo

Sorry.....over the weekend I'm not in front of the computer....plus....there were no guesses.......

If there are no guesses today....I'm just going to give it up....

1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"
10) The "mother" was called Aviamatka

CB
Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Ernie P.

Sorry.....over the weekend I'm not in front of the computer....plus....there were no guesses.......

If there are no guesses today....I'm just going to give it up....

1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"

CB
Hang in there, castlebravo; you've just got us all baffled at the moment. We'll catch on pretty soon. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:46 AM
castlebravo

Thanks Ernie....I should have warned that I'm usually away during the weekends. I'm very quickly running out of clues That last clue should at least determine the origin....

CB
Old 01-18-2016, 09:48 AM
castlebravo

1) Single seat fighter
4) This AC was a "first"
11) Top Speed was a blistering 144mph

CB
Old 01-18-2016, 10:19 AM
Ernie P.

Thanks Ernie....I should have warned that I'm usually away during the weekends. I'm very quickly running out of clues That last clue should at least determine the origin....

CB

Well, if you get stuck, or just tired, I'll solve it. I should add, however, that I wasn't aware any of these planes ever carried the 76mm cannons. That was a bit of a surprise to me. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.