Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:15 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting guesses, but not correct yet.

Two guesses get two clues!!

1. It was designed as a major redesign of a very popular aircraft, to use resources that were available and to make a version of the aircraft that was almost 100mph faster than the original.
2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
4. Most, but not all, were pressurized.
5. Renowned for being LOUD. <- important clue!!
Old 12-26-2017, 02:44 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Interesting guesses, but not correct yet.

Two guesses get two clues!!

1. It was designed as a major redesign of a very popular aircraft, to use resources that were available and to make a version of the aircraft that was almost 100mph faster than the original.
2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
Four engines? Very fast? Loud? How about the Hustler? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: B-58

The Convair B-58 Hustler was the first operational jet bomber capable of Mach 2 flight. The aircraft was designed by Convair engineer Robert H. Widmer and developed for the United States Air Force for service in the Strategic Air Command (SAC) during the 1960s. It used a delta wing, which was also employed by Convair fighters such as the F-102, with four General Electric J79 engines in pods under the wing. It carried five nuclear weapons; four on pylons under the wings, and one nuclear weapon and fuel in a combination bomb/fuel pod under the fuselage, rather than in an internal bomb bay.

Replacing the Boeing B-47 Stratojet medium bomber, it was originally intended to fly at high altitudes and supersonic speeds to avoid Soviet fighters. The B-58 was notorious for its sonic boom, which was often heard by the public as it passed overhead in supersonic flight.

The introduction of highly-accurate Soviet surface-to-air missiles forced the B-58 into a low-level-penetration role that severely limited its range and strategic value, and it was never employed to deliver conventional bombs. This resulted in only a brief operational career between 1960 and 1970 when the B-58 was succeeded by the smaller, swing-wing FB-111A.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:24 AM
JohnnyS

Sorry, Ernie, but no: The B-58 wasn't a redesign and all B-58s were pressurized.

New clue:

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
6. One military organization and three major airlines operated these aircraft. (None were in the US!)

Last edited by JohnnyS; 12-27-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:16 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

TU-95 Bear
Old 12-28-2017, 04:25 AM
JohnnyS

Not the Bear, but INTERESTING guess.

New clue, and for such an interesting guess I will provide two!

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
6. One military organization and three major airlines operated these aircraft.
7. After service with those major airlines, the civilian versions of the aircraft had long careers with secondary operators, including flying cargo.
8. Flew more cargo to Korea for the Korean conflict than the C-54.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I think I know what it is but will hold off since I will be out of town this weekend.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:12 PM
elmshoot

C-47 was replaced by the C-54 or so Wikipedia says so 2-4 engine upgrade.
ok last clue says it’s not the C54 back to looking around.
maybe the Connie I guess.
Sparky
Old 12-28-2017, 12:22 PM
elmshoot

C-124 but some of the clues don’t work
Old 12-28-2017, 07:59 PM
JohnnyS

Awesome guesses, but no correct answers yet.

Two more clues!!

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
6. One military organization and three major airlines operated these aircraft. (None were in the US!)
7. After service with those major airlines, the civilian versions of the aircraft had long careers with secondary operators, including flying cargo.
9. All but one of these aircraft had Rolls-Royce engines.
10. First flew in 1946
Old 12-28-2017, 08:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Damn, almost sounds like the DeHavilland Comet since it was powered by four Rolls turbine engines and was loud as hell
That said, how about the Avro York? It was powered by four Merlin 24s

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-28-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:20 AM
JohnnyS

Not the York, no. But we are getting closer!

New clue:

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
10. First flew in 1946
11. On night landings, stewardesses on this aircraft flying for the airlines had to advise passengers not to be alarmed by 12 foot long flames pouring out the exhausts as the engines were richened up for landing to avoid burning the exhaust valves.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Don't worry it only looks like the engine is on fire, we'll let you know when we have a real engine fire!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:42 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like an AVRO YORK
Old 12-29-2017, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
Sounds like an AVRO YORK
Johnny already guessed the York its been eliminated.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:31 AM
JohnnyS

New day, new clue!

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
10. First flew in 1946
11. On night landings, stewardesses on this aircraft flying for the airlines had to advise passengers not to be alarmed by 12 foot long flames pouring out the exhausts as the engines were richened up for landing to avoid burning the exhaust valves.
12. The Queen (of England) flew in one unique variant of this aircraft that was especially built to be quiet.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:12 AM
JohnnyS

No guesses? You guys are SO close...

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
10. First flew in 1946
12. The Queen (of England) flew in one unique variant of this aircraft that was especially built to be quiet.
13. The engines were Merlins on all but one of these aircraft.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

I think we kind of gathered that the engines were Merlins. The only other option would have been Griffons since every other Rolls engine had been pretty much dropped by the beginning of the war. We can pretty much figure the plane the queen flew in was powered by something other than Merlins, as per clue 9. This wouldn't happen to be the Dragon Rapide, would it?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 12-31-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:04 AM
JohnnyS

Not the Dragon Rapide, no.

New clue:

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
10. First flew in 1946
14. The company that built this aircraft is currently part of a larger conglomerate and currently produces water bombers (HUGE clue!!!) and other products as part of that business.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:32 AM
JohnnyS

I can't believe we're stuck here: You guys are SO close! I've actually run out of my prepared clues for this one.

New clue:

2. Four engines.
3. Fewer than 100 built.
10. First flew in 1946
14. The company that built this aircraft is currently part of a larger conglomerate and currently produces water bombers (HUGE clue!!!) and other products as part of that business.
15. A current product of the company that built this aircraft can be seen in episode 4 of series 2 of "The Grand Tour" where it's shown putting out a grass fire and incidentally destroying a Lada Riva that was modified by James May to be an ersatz fire engine.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:08 AM
elmshoot

Well the Idiot car show has a CL-415 water bomb the car. I'm not much of a internet search guy.
Sparky
Old 01-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

And the CL-415 was built by Canadair, which was first bought by Electric Boat Works(of PT boat fame) to become part of General Dynamics. When GD bought Convair, Canadair became a subsidiary and was later bought by the Canadian government. The company was sold by the government several years later and is now part of Bombardier.
We now know the plane was built by Canadair and powered by Merlins, except for the "Royal Transport", which used a quieter set of engines.
I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE CANADAIR DC-4M NORTHSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-02-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:49 PM
JohnnyS

And we have a WINNER! It's the Canadair North Star! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_North_Star

I was really surprised that you guys didn't get this right after someone mentioned the Avro York: The Canadair is mentioned in the same sentence on the Wikipedia page for the Merlin! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Merlin

Please take it away, Hydro Junkie: Well done!!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

The only reason I figured it out was I decided to look up the history of Canadair and it talked about a license built DC-4, which was a four engine plane but with radials rather than Merlins. It's kind of like the B-17 with its four Wright R-1820 radials and the B-38 with it's four Allison 1710 vee engines. The only difference between the the Douglas DC-4 and the Northstar is the engines. This was the same thing with the B-17 and B-38, other than the engines, they were the same plane.

Give me a day or so and I'll come up with something for you all to chew on
Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 AM
JohnnyS

Actually, that's not quite right: There were a bunch of differences between the North Star and the DC-4. "More than just an engine swap, the North Star had the Douglas DC-6 nose, landing gear and fuselage shortened by 80 in (2 metres), DC-4 empennage, rear fuselage, flaps and wing tips, C-54 middle fuselage sections, wing centre- and outer-wing panels, cabin pressurisation, a standardised cockpit layout and a different electrical system."
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, time to get you all going.
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This plane was designed with two configurations
2) This plane was NEVER USED for the purpose it was designed
3) Despite clue 2, it still had a very long service life
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-04-2018 at 06:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.