Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Since no one has taken a shot at this yet, I guess I'll be nice and throw another clue(or two) out there
Looking for an aircraft:
1) This plane was designed with two configurations
2) This plane was NEVER USED for the purpose it was designed
3) Despite clue 2, it still had a very long service life
4) This plane had an unusual crew arrangement based on it's original planned use
5) This plane was later modified into a third configuration
Good Luck
Old 01-04-2018, 07:18 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

A-3 Sky warrior
Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not the "Whale". The "Whale" actually was used as a bomber, though it was modified to do several other things over it's service life as well. Time for another clue, or two
Looking for an aircraft:
4) This plane had an unusual crew arrangement based on it's original planned use
6) Like the A-3 Skywarrior from the above guess, this plane was twin engined
7) This plane had three "unique" design features when first built. One of those features has been used on less than ten operational aircraft designs, world wide
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2018, 06:12 AM
Hydro Junkie

Time for another clue, or two
Looking for an aircraft:
7) This plane had three "unique" design features when first built. One of those features has been used on less than ten operational aircraft designs, world wide
8) The second "unique" design feature hadn't been seen for many years and only on a few planes built in a different country
9) The third "unique" design feature made it much easier for the crew to bail out if the plane was to damaged to fly
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 AM
elmshoot

I was thinking the Whale was designed primarily as a nuclear bomber.
How about the Drut? The F3D Skynight?
Sparky
Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Hydro Junkie

Nope, not the Skynight.
Time for another clue, or two
Looking for an aircraft:
8) The second "unique" design feature hadn't been seen for many years and only on a few planes built in a different country
9) The third "unique" design feature made it much easier for the crew to bail out if the plane was too damaged to fly
10) One of the original two configurations was actually rejected by military as unsuitable for the planned usage after one or two prototypes were built
11) The rejected aircraft was replaced by an aircraft that became almost legendary during it's service life
12) The military that rejected the one configuration had actually asked for it to be built. The idea was to have it do the same thing as a legendary aircraft that was then in service
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 01-05-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Guys, I have a problem
I'm running out of clues already so one of you is going to have to solve this one soon
I actually never expected this to last as long as it has
Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

North American A-2 Savage?
Old 01-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Hydro Junkie

Not the Savage
Time for another clue
Looking for an aircraft:
9) The third "unique" design feature made it much easier for the crew to bail out if the plane was too damaged to fly
10) One of the original two configurations was actually rejected by military as unsuitable for the planned usage after one or two prototypes were built
11) The rejected aircraft was replaced by an aircraft that became almost legendary during it's service life
12) The military that rejected the one configuration had actually asked for it to be built. The idea was to have it do the same thing as a legendary aircraft that was then in service
13) This plane replaced another, faster, plane in the role it assumed when it went active
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, I guess it's time for another clue
Looking for an aircraft:
13) This plane replaced another, faster, plane in the role it assumed when it went active
14) This plane was built by a well known manufacturer
15) This plane was powered by the same engines used to power the plane that replaced the rejected version
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay guys, I guess it's time for another clue
Looking for an aircraft:
15) This plane was powered by the same engines used to power the plane that replaced the rejected version
16) The third configuration of this plane scored the only "kill" for the type while operating at night
17) The third configuration of this plane had something in common with two planes built by a competitor
18) This was the first plane to accomplish a "feat" by a combat aircraft
Good Luck
Old 01-05-2018, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

Removed didn't match all criteria.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Hydro Junkie

What was it, you might have been right as I've been known to get incorrect info from time to time
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 PM
FlyerInOKC

It was quick answer no where close to the hints. I didn't research it properly before guessing. It was embarrassingly wrong!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Hydro Junkie

I guess it's time for another clue
Looking for an aircraft:
16) The third configuration of this plane scored the only "kill" for the type while operating at night
17) The third configuration of this plane had something in common with two planes built by a competitor
18) This was the first plane to accomplish a "feat" by a combat aircraft
19) This plane was used in air strikes that almost got the leaders of the opposition
20) This plane had a crew of two
21) This plane had a range of well over 2000 miles using just internal fuel and 3000 with external tanks
22) Fully loaded, this plane needed just over 20% of the runway length of a plane it replaced
Good Luck
Old 01-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Sekhet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best guess is the General Dynamics F-111 Aardvark.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Hydro Junkie

AND WE FINALLY HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it was the F-111 Aardvark. Now, to go over the cues:
1) This plane was designed with two configurations There was an "A" and a "B" configuration, "A" for the Air Force and "B" for the Navy. The "B" version was actually shorter for carrier use
2) This plane was NEVER USED for the purpose it was designed The "A" version was designed as a strike fighter while the "B" was an interceptor. The "A" was used strictly as a bomber while the "B" was cancelled
3) Despite clue 2, it still had a very long service life The "A" version was used for over 25 years by the Air Force while the "C" was used for a longer time by the Australian Air Force(found out about the "C" version after I posted the clue)
4) This plane had an unusual crew arrangement based on it's original planned use It had side-by side seating, something never used in an American tactical aircraft previously
5) This plane was later modified into a third configuration The plane was fitted with the electronic countermeasures used in the Grumman Prowler though, unlike the Prowler, the crew didn't get the same protection
6) Like the A-3 Skywarrior from the above guess, this plane was twin engined The plane was fitted with twin turbofans inside the fuse under the tail
7) This plane had three "unique" design features when first built. One of those features has been used on less than ten operational aircraft designs, world wide It was the first plane with a "swing wing"
8) The second "unique" design feature hadn't been seen for many years and only on a few planes built in a different country The side by side seating hadn't been seen in a fighter since the British Beaufigher and Mosquito in WWII
9) The third "unique" design feature made it much easier for the crew to bail out if the plane was too damaged to fly In the event of needing to bail out, the entire cockpit was ejected rather than just the seats
10) One of the original two configurations was actually rejected by military as unsuitable for the planned usage after one or two prototypes were built It was found that the "B" wasn't workable for use on an aircraft carrier
11) The rejected aircraft was replaced by an aircraft that became almost legendary during it's service life The F-4 Phantom, in service with the Navy during the testing of the F-111B, was later replaced by the F-14 Tomcat
12) The military that rejected the one configuration had actually asked for it to be built. The idea was to have it do the same thing as a legendary aircraft that was then in service Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara tried to do the same thing with the F-111 as had been done with the F-4 Phantom, use one plane for all branches of the military. With the failing of the F-111B to meet the Navy's requirements, this was not to be
13) This plane replaced another, faster, plane in the role it assumed when it went active The F-111 replaced both the B-58 Hustler and the F-105. I found my initial source to be incorrect on top speeds as the F-111 was capable of 250 MPH more than the other two
14) This plane was built by a well known manufacturer The plane was built by General Dynamics
15) This plane was powered by the same engines used to power the plane that replaced the rejected version The F-111 and F-14A were both powered by the Pratt& Whitney TF-30 low-bypass turbofan engines with afterburners
16) The third configuration of this plane scored the only "kill" for the type while operating at night The only "kill" for the F-111 was due to an Iraqi Mirage attempting to shoot down an EF-111. The Iraqi pilot crashed while trying to lock on to the Raven, itself doing some serious evasive maneuvering at low altitude.
17) The third configuration of this plane had something in common with two planes built by a competitor The third configuration was the EF-111 Raven. It was equipped with the same "pod"(sorry, it's still classified so no further details) installed on top of it's tail as the EA-6A "Electric Intruder" and EA-6B Prowler
18) This was the first plane to accomplish a "feat" by a combat aircraft It was the first tactical aircraft to cross the US without having to refuel either in the air or on the ground
19) This plane was used in air strikes that almost got the leaders of the opposition The plane was used in a strike against Libya, almost getting Muammar el-Qaddafi in his compound. The Italian government warned Qaddafi so he was able to escape the attack, according to my sources
20) This plane had a crew of two the plane had a pilot and BN
21) This plane had a range of well over 2000 miles using just internal fuel and 3000 with external tanks
22) Fully loaded, this plane needed just over 20% of the runway length of a plane it replaced The F-111 needed only 2000 feet of runway where the F-105 needed almost TWO MILES due to it's small wings and large loads
Okay Cris, YOU'RE UP
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Sekhet

Hydro, I was leaning toward the F-111, but it was clue 19 that gave it away for me. I was stationed on the same base that one of the squadrons involved in that Op. was based at!
OK give me a few moments and I'll get a quiz up and going!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Sekhet

Okay, I think I have come up with a head scratcher.

I'm looking for a warbird.
1) This aircraft was designed for a specific task. And did very well at that task!
2) The prototype was overweight and underpowered.
3) Initial production aircraft were single crew but later models were crewed by two.
4) Very short time in production but built in very large numbers.
Good Luck!

Last edited by Sekhet; 01-06-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Sekhet
Hydro, I was leaning toward the F-111, but it was clue 19 that gave it away for me. I was stationed on the same base that one of the squadrons involved in that Op. was based at!
OK give me a few moments and I'll get a quiz up and going!
I figured any one that remembered the Libya strike would pick up on it. My problem was my next clue probably would have been a dead give-away because it would have referenced the Viet Nam conflict, it's first operational useage
Old 01-07-2018, 04:18 PM
Sekhet

Time for some more clues.

1) This aircraft was designed for a specific task. And did very well at that task!
2) The prototype was overweight and under powered.
3) Initial production aircraft were single crew but later models were crewed by two.
5) The production bird's power plant was a
liquid-cooled V-12
6) This bird in combination with it's successor was built in numbers so large that it is the single most produced military aircraft design in aviation history.
7) this aircraft's service life was nine years longer than it's production life.
Good luck!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:45 PM
elmshoot

Wiki says 33,000+ ME-109 were built I was thinking the Yak9 thought.
Sparky
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sekhet
Time for some more clues.

liquid-cooled V-12
6) This bird in combination with it's successor was built in numbers so large that it is the single most produced military aircraft design in aviation history.
7) this aircraft's service life was nine years longer than it's production life.
Good luck!
I'm thinking the answer is a bit more simple. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Ilyushin Il-2 (Cyrillic: Илью́шин Ил-2) Sturmovik[3] was a ground-attack aircraft (Cyrillic: Штурмови́к, Šturmovík) produced by the Soviet Union in large numbers during the Second World War. With 36,183 units of the Il-2 produced during the war, and in combination with its successor, the Ilyushin Il-10, a total of 42,330[4] were built, making it the single most produced military aircraft design in aviation history, as well as one of the most produced piloted aircraft in history along with the American postwar civilian Cessna 172 and the Soviet Union's own then-contemporary Polikarpov Po-2 Kukuruznik multipurpose biplane.

To Il-2 pilots, the aircraft was simply the diminutive "Ilyusha". To the soldiers on the ground, it was the "Hunchback", the "Flying Tank" or the "Flying Infantryman". Its postwar NATO reporting name was "Bark".[5] The Il-2 aircraft played a crucial role on the Eastern Front. Joseph Stalin paid the Il-2 a great tribute in his own inimitable manner: when a particular production factory fell behind on its deliveries, Stalin sent an angrily worded cable to the factory manager, stating "They are as essential to the Red Army as air and bread,"[6] and "I demand more machines. This is my final warning!"[7]
Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 PM
elmshoot

Hydro some of the clues on the F-111 were NQR but close enough. I believe the A-6 was 4 years before the 111 and had the side by side seating.
2000' takeoff run? maybe if empty of fuel and weapons.
The pod on the tail is refered to as the Football and houses the receivers. A-J band some RX are sprinkled around the airframe as well.
The EA-6A and B called the other guy the ECMO electric countermeasures officer and the 111 WSO weapon system officer.
BN is only for the Intruder.
At least that's the way I remember it.
Sparky
Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Sekhet

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Wiki says 33,000+ ME-109 were built I was thinking the Yak9 thought.
Sparky
Both are good guesses but this aircraft by itself was a few more thousand in numbers than the ME-109.
Some more clues for the guess.

liquid-cooled V-12
7) This aircraft's service life was nine years longer than it's production life.
8) Armed with two cannons and three machine guns.
9) could carry up to 600 kg (1,320 lb) of bombs and up to 8 rockets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.