Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:04 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Opinions on Century Jet Gears

Don't forget that the corsair had a comprssion link that shortened the gear as it retracted up into the wing.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About two months ago, I came to this thread with a problem. My Century Jet Rotating Retracts that were installed in my Giant Scale Planes P-40 had been  a problem since I received them. On my second flight, after a bounce, the gear twisted and the struts were bent. I sent them badck for repair, and about three flight later, after a normal landing, the model swerved badly on roll out, and a gear strut on the outside of the swerve bent again. I was having problems setting the toe-in, since the struts were so loose they would not hold the setting. This resulted in squirlly take-offs, and unpredictable rollouts on landings. I was planning to make a post requesting suggestions on how to correct my issues.  I had already sent the gear back twice, and still had the problem.

I noticed Bruce Saunders post regarding their upgrades to the gear, and his offer to replace the pop rivits with screws and upgrade  the older gear. Rather than post a negative comment, I contacted Bruce with my problems and concerns. He followed up on his offer to replace the pop rivits and correct my problems.   I sent him my retracts.

I didn't hear anything for about ten days so I sent him an email requesting information. Bruce sent me back an email with photos of my gear showing me the damage (probably caused by the first bad bounced landing)  that was causing the slop in my gear. The fork, which was aluminum, had opened up, and the frame itself had some issues as well. He offered to replace the entire top of the gear for what I considered a fair price and included a free service policy.

The gear came back with a  new frame, new cylinders, and the trunion, which had been aluminum, was now steel. I have now put more flights  on my P-40  since I received my upgraded gear, than in the entire previous three years. The previous problems I had  have been resolved,
The steel trunion holds a positive downlock. If you have the old rotating retracts with the aluminum trunion, and the forks (the slot the brass pin from the cylinder moves in) has stretched open, the gear can move fore and aft, which allows it to turn slightly. This allowed the gear to twist during takeoff and landing resulting in swerves and bent struts. I think the upgrades have taken care of that problem.

Bottom line? If you have older Century Jet retracts, and have a problem, give Bruce and company a chance to correct them. I'm sure glad I did. This is an unsolicited comment from a satisfied customer.

Dash
Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Experten109/40
My Feedback: (-1)

I'm stepping up to these http://centuryjet.com/product_info.php/products_id/314for my Kyosho P-40.
deal and a half there and I'm not worried about the quality at all.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Ichy

Finally got some time to work on the nose gear. Installed a micro switch and pull/pull. Replace tiller arms with a ball and socket set up from RC cars. There is so much hardware on the pull/pull and it is so short that I do not need springs to take up the slack. I have not tried it yet but pretty sure it will work.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33302.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1498500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa92008.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	1498501   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76099.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1498502   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92734.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1498503  
Old 09-10-2010, 06:00 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

I figure my own experience(s) might be helpful to note here. I had a 'bad experience' once many years ago with a set of CJ's that I had, and since then I've kind of stayed away, seeming to find other sets of gear for my birds.

This said, I'm rehabbing a buddy's crashed 1/5 190 into a new flying model, and, as it had CJ gear in it that always seemed to work, I figured I would stick with them. One unit 'took one for the team' in the crash, and I sent it in figuring that I was pretty much giving it up for dead. In short.....my service was great, and reasonably fast, and it really made me feel pretty good I have to say. The repaired unit should arrive tomorrow, and I must say that I was pretty impressed by the aforementioned which included a couple of received phone calls to keep me up to date and check on some questions before the repair. In short...excellent. It's nice to see, as I've watched and noticed improved efforts towards this end of things, and it really showed in this. I'm glad I gave a second chance, and they really came through with good form. Well done to Bruce and his staff.

I was also pretty impressed by their new P40 at Toledo. For sure a very nice plane.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
LargeScale88

I regret ever buying a set, and will never again. Although, theres guys I know with century gear in there B-17 bombers and I've never seen them fail or fall apart, but I think they were modified. Go figure, you have to modify somethin you spend that much money on so it doesn't break on ya.