RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9035700-esm-fairey-swordfish-%22stringbag%22.html)

ispirit99 06-07-2010 09:45 PM

RE: ESM Fairey Swordfish

That's it guys! This thread has really been helpful and I hope we keep it going a while longer. It would be great to see some pictures and videos of the progress you all are making so far. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas you all have posted. I hope to be flying soon and will try to post some video when I do. Your contributions to this thread are very appreciated. Once again I have to say "TY, UDA-MAN! The work he has done to enhance these VQ,ESM planes makes our planes a cut above the rest .Thanks, Tony

Ram-bro 06-09-2010 10:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pics of the us41 setup. some cutting.......

WhiteRook 06-09-2010 10:14 AM

they should come out with the FIREFLY

ispirit99 06-09-2010 11:51 AM

Thanks Ram-bro! That was a big help. Very neat and it looks like the torpedo won't get all mucked up with those long exsuast pipe's. I found the muffler and I think I will go with the Zenoah 38cc on her and put the DLE 55cc on the Fokker D-VII. Didn't like the way the way it flew her anyway [ she's a BUSA 1/4 scale bird and heavyer than the Swordfish]. How did you decide to place the torpedo hangers and the torpedo? Do you think the placement will affect the CG? I'm going to get the cockpit kits for my Stuka and the Swordfish for Fathers day so I should have my hands full for awhile. I saw some nice 1/6th scale Pilots on the new VQ web site but I think TY's 1/7th scale one's fit better in the Swordfish. What are you going to put in yours? By the way, TY was right about the top wing servo geometry and I will take his suggestion and do it the way he did his instead of connecting with 440 rod's. Glad he posted that. Saved me a few brain cells! Thanks again. Tony.

ispirit99 06-09-2010 02:09 PM

If they come out with the Firefly, might as well sign me up now. Drat's! Everytime I think I've bought all the planes I want, another one pop's up LOL! Can you buy stock in VQ Models?? Good choice. Tony.

zoomer199 06-09-2010 05:19 PM

I am building Vances Firefly http://www.vanvan.us/ . Its a great kit if your into building. Been slowly chipping away at it for 2 years now. I think one more year and it should be in the air.

ispirit99 06-09-2010 05:34 PM

Zoomer 199, Now THAT'S one beautiful Girl!! You got me thinking! Any details on how she builds? Any pictures of your work so far? Do you remember what the Balsa cost you to build her with? I really like the 80" W/S version! Probably dream about that one tonight. Need to see a Doctor! This is past being an Addiction!! LOL!Tony.

ispirit99 06-09-2010 06:48 PM

Just read their web site [ should have done that before asking you about the cost of the wood. I also sent them am email about shipping cost and a few other details. Has good prospects for a winter build - if VQ doesn't come out with an ARF first ]. GRIN!

vallawyer 06-09-2010 08:28 PM

I can't read through the entire thread, its just too much to absorb, but I have a few basic questions.
I really like the Swordfish, but if these are the same planes as KMP, I have been a little stung before.
If they are actually made by VQ Models, I won't touch it.  I had the A-26 Invader and the Macchi 202, both were terrible models.
If it is KMP, then my questions are:
How is the overall quality?
Is it heavy?
Is the hardware any good?
Is it well packed?
Can you get parts?
I had issues with that stuff before.
Some of those things I can work through.  The last one I had, I threw away all the hardware and the retracts, but it came out very heavy, and I waited a year for parts that never arrived from shipping damage when I got the plane in the first place.
From the guys who have one, what is your basic impression of this plane?

fockewulf37 06-09-2010 08:39 PM

I have not flown mine yet still working on it. It is electric and AUW is 21.5 lbs ready to fly and balanced. It is a good ARF in my opinion. If it flies well as the video the one guy posted and his was a little tail heavy. I may buy another and paint a differnt color scheme...Plenty of wing area for teh weight of the plane...

Ty

vallawyer 06-09-2010 08:44 PM

Seems a little heavy, but like you say, there should be plenty of wing. Ihad some KMPwarbirds that were very heavy for their size, they were flyable but not much fun.
Where is the video?
Can you tell me if this is made by VQ or by KMP?
The VQ planes were the worst quality, or maybe second worst, Ihave ever experienced. Printed covering like shelf paper that looked terrible and held up worse, and made out of some sort of Vietnamese wood that was not balsa, and plastic parts that cracked like crazy, and all junk hardware, a real dissapointment.

vallawyer 06-09-2010 09:09 PM

Ihave to go to sleep, but if you get some time to answer my questions, Iwill stop back tomorrow, thanks so much. My hands hurt from typing already, too, Ican't do this much!
I guess I am not in a hurry, as Ibought another plane today, probably a little obsessive to buy two in one day, Iguess the Swordfish can wait.

ispirit99 06-09-2010 09:30 PM

I have the ME-109, Stuka and Swordfish and although they are not top $$$ ARF's, I find them quite good quality. You have to put a little work into them, add your own twist when it comes to the quality of hardware you want to use. It's smart to give things a little thought while you put them together and some building skills are helpful. I won't say they are just slap together and fly models [most ARF's aren't even if you spend the top $$$'s]. I have had some bad results with higher $$ plane's and lousy customer service from some brand name dealers also. I will say this. The guy's at VQ & ESM are top notch when it's a customer service issue. That's one of the reasons I do business with them. True, a problem can't always be resolved right away due to supply and that sort of thing but they make one heck of an effort to put things right as soon as they can and they WILL COMMUNICATE with you. I'm a little slow getting my plane's together and get a lot of input from the other guys on the thread for the plane I am working on and it pays off. I guess I'm just saying not only do you get what you pay for, but you also get out of it what you put into it. Take the time to read one of those threads on the plane you have an interest in. It's worth the time and you will make a better decision as to if you should spend your $$$. Works for me. Tony.

Ram-bro 06-09-2010 09:32 PM

All I can say is that you won be disappointed in the quality of this or any of ESM' warbirds. I think the guys who are the most disappointed in arfs are guys who have never built. Builders willreplace hardware in good kits and will probably take care of some of the issues that would stump non-builders. The kit is one of the best arf kits I have come across. The fiberglass work is excellent, the instructions arent the best and the hardware is good. everyone that has posted on here has had minor issues, but nothing that detracts from the kit. Bite the bullet, you wont be disappointed

ispirit99 06-09-2010 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This Fairey Firefly is one the guys a VQ and ESM should really think about! At least I think they should. Ahhh! SOOoooo many plane's and Soooooo little $$$$!!!

ispirit99 06-09-2010 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

zoomer199 06-09-2010 10:02 PM

I dont have photos, but if you go to scalebuilder.com and go to the vance section there are couple of build threads there. You will be amazed at these guys builds.

I think you have to join to see the phots of build, but it is free and they do not share personal info.

zoomer199 06-09-2010 10:18 PM

I have the wing done and in primer. Rudder and tail are done awaiting glass. Fuse is built and in process of shaping and fitting. This kit builds easy, this is my first large scale build and first war bird with retracts. The plans are very good and the cd of build phots is worth it.
I purchased everything he had for it. Since this is my first largescale build I am not going to get crazy with the scale details like some of the others have at scalebuilders.com. I have some very experinced builders in my club and they have been impressed with vances offerings. Vance is a great guy to deal. Have qustions as you build just give him a call, he's happy to help.

ispirit99 06-10-2010 02:29 PM

Thanks Zoomer 199. I Emailed Vance and he got right back to me. Will check out the Scale Builders web site you mentioned. I am registered but have not visited the site for some time. Time I went back and learned what those guys are doing. I am leaning hard towards getting one of these for my winter build project. The total package is a little steep but so far it looks worth it. Glad to hear the CD is of value in the build and that Vance is a guy who is good to deal with. Thinking about getting the package to build first and the retract's and molded part's later. Need to run the numbers to see which way is more cost effective. Got to kick it up a notch to finish my Swordfish and Stuka so I can fly them this summer. Good luck on your build Zoomer and thanks. I will probably bug you later if and when I get mine. TOMAS, you should think abut this Firefly. By the way, great job on the NEW VQ Web site. Tony.

Ram-bro 06-11-2010 03:48 PM

well, I finally worked out all the lil bugs and will fly her this weekend.....weather permiting. This will be one difficult plane to service in the field. Having to make adjsutments inside the fuse is a pain. Hopefully everyone understands that when they head out to the field. A nice access hatch would be great. Hopefully I will have video

Robert Bishop 06-11-2010 05:49 PM

Best of luck Ram-bro. I have been completed for over a week but the weather here is lousy! Hope to be able to fly next week

Bob Bishop

Ram-bro 06-11-2010 06:24 PM

Robert, could be a week of videos.....So what are the numbers on yours. What weight, radio, engine, any special setups ie removeable wings, retracts(hehehe) etc

Robert Bishop 06-11-2010 07:27 PM

Ram-bro,
Power is a Laser 180,single cylinder,glow (Brand new-purchase for this airplane). Weight is ?-maybe able to weigh her tomorrow.
Radio is JR 10X. Was able to use programming features to use 4 servos for ailerons.
Wings are removable as pairs-similar to Ty's.\
Balance is on the recommended point  in the manual.
No retracts!
If she flies well, I will install all of Ty's mods.

All the best

Bob<br type="_moz"/>

Ram-bro 06-11-2010 08:30 PM

I am with you on Ty's mods, I will waitt till after a few flights

zoomer199 06-11-2010 11:42 PM

I made a large acess hatch in front of the landing gear. Most hardware to go there depnding on CG.