RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Warbirds and Warplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/)
-   -   ESM Fairey Swordfish "Stringbag" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-warbirds-warplanes-200/9035700-esm-fairey-swordfish-%22stringbag%22.html)

ispirit99 11-17-2009 06:22 PM

RE: ESM Fairey Swordfish

<span style="font-size: smaller">The front end of the fuse seem's to taper down into the cowl. I'm thinking the big round cowl should be able to hold a DL55. I would rather not have a side carb. Like the rear carb's better.</span>

OldFart1 11-17-2009 06:25 PM

I have a rear carb on my RCGF 26 (1/7 P-47) and ZDZ-50NG (GP Ultimate), side carb on the G26 in the Clip Wing Monocoupe. I like the "cleanliness" of the rear carb install - but choke linkage can be a PITA.

alanc 11-17-2009 06:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ispirit99

<span style=''font-size: larger''><span style=''font-family: Times New Roman''>I have been talking with Alan of YT INTERNATIONAL for sometime now. I first found the Swordfish at a Web site in the UK. YT is the UK distributor of ESM etc. Alan told me they expected to get their shippment around No. or Dec. The last I heard, he was thinking about a 50cc gas for her. He did say he would try to post his assembly and observations. Interesting thought. When I found the Swordfish [same one] on the UK web site, the price was 549.99 [pounds]. When I ran the currency conversion table it came out to be better than $800.00 USD's [before shipping]. I hate it when I screw up and forget to convert before I get all excited about a price in Pounds or Euro's, whatever. Then I convert and ''OUCH''! Sure wish they would come up with a price soon at a better USD price than that. It's like buying a Pig in a Poke. You have never seen the pig, you don't know what you are going to pay when you get him. But you still want that Pig. LOL</span></span>

Sadly, i wont be having one out of this batch, due to demand, they have to go to customers, ah well, there is always the next batch, as for motors, DL55?? BEHAVE, i fly a 96"Waco bipe on a Z62, with ample power, but, there is always the throttle stick, she is a slow flying, very agile machine full size, love to see what she can do in miniture,

ispirit99 11-17-2009 06:35 PM

<span style="font-size: smaller">Alanc, youthink a G50 will carry the mail for me at the altitude I fly in the mountains of West Virginia. The air is a little bit thinner here. Or doe's it matter? Sorry you have to miss out on the first batch. Would have loved to see your assembly of her.</span>

psb667 11-17-2009 09:06 PM

Sorry to ask. Unfortunately somr of us cant drop that much on a plane or make the wife park in the driveway so we have a place to store it. So does anyone know of a smaller swordfish kit?

alanc 11-18-2009 03:18 PM

only if you build it, CAP do one over here, distributed by anglia model centre, i think, its5foot span, is a ***** to build, but flys really sweet, a plan and cowl is available from traplet, for the scatch builder,

INSPIRIT, you will live in strange, but beutifull places, i can see no problem with that motor, and dont worry about me missing the model, there plenty more coming out, i will be spoilt for choice!!!!!!!

psb667 11-18-2009 10:14 PM

thanks

ispirit99 11-19-2009 02:15 AM

<span style="font-size: medium"><span style="font-size: small">Alanc, yes this is a great place to live if you like outdoor's. We get to clearly see the seasons change as the trees and landscape reflect the stroke's of Mother nature's painting. I rather the summer butthose of us whoare retiredalso fly in the winter, the wind, and every clear crack inthe sky we can find. I want to thank you and Tomasfor thegreat job you both do. It's good to hear "the straight scoop" fromcompanysthat take the customer seriously, have intrest in our input and really respond! Thanks for your attention and response to our e-mails. I know you have got to be busy.</span></span></p>

Ram-bro 11-19-2009 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If aand when I get mine, I plan on doing some modifying.......I know, I say that now but I have done it to my Aeroworks PT-17. Here is the scheme I am thinking about...or at least one of them. What are you guys thinking?

ispirit99 11-19-2009 08:16 PM

Ram-bro that's a great scheme. Do you plan to re-cover her or paint over the cover?

Ram-bro 11-19-2009 08:24 PM

I will need to see how it is finished to start and go from there. We are like a girl at a prom, we hate to show up in a dress that another girl is wearing, that is the way I feel about having an arf....you gotta change it up just enough to be different and stand out. Nothing funnier than going to the field and tryiing to figure out which arf is yours:D

ispirit99 11-19-2009 08:36 PM

I'm the same way. It's got to have my own take on it. I have been surfing the web looking for pictures of Swordfish. A lot of black and white but some color. Think I will see what colors other countrys flew her in.

Kmot 11-19-2009 09:57 PM

Do you guys have RealFlight sim? There's a Swordfish available for download on both fixed gear and floats.

MANFRED 11-20-2009 10:08 AM

If this dosn't make your pitot tube as hard as Chinese Algebra, then you're on the wrong thread. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBYPPpBScYA

MANFRED 11-20-2009 10:14 AM

Cool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYpiz77JwhQ

ispirit99 11-21-2009 11:55 AM

You guy's are great! That was some really good video. Got stuck looking at all the rest of them. I also found a video of "A REAL FLYING MODEL of the Swordfish". Look's like the one we are waiting for. Hope you can get this link. Go to "youtube and search for LMA COSFORD SHOW 2009 PART 4". It is the most beautiful thing. I can't wait.

alanc 11-21-2009 12:00 PM

The swordfish you mention is Roger Bales, its half scale, with a DA 150 for power, whats more, Roger is in his 80s!!! he produces a showstopper like this every year,
In the LMA, we also have a TOTAL scale fish under construction, fuselage out of tube, that sort of thing, all costruction is as the full size, power to be a moki radial, if i can find a link, i will drop it on here, but, for those of you not into this sort of work, there is always little old us:D

Ram-bro 11-21-2009 01:53 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYJ_cXwWIks

alanc 11-21-2009 06:28 PM

thats the one, and you can see it was a typical crosswind cosford, by the side slipping, you will also see its just one part of about 5 videos, try to watch them all, and see how we do large models over here, at cosford, the LMAs main show, this year, the full size action was shared by several old warden aircraft, and the full size Vulcan!!!!!!!!!!! how we wangled that one, i dont know, but it wa awsome, hope you enjoy the link, and thanks rambro for finding it:D

ispirit99 11-21-2009 06:44 PM

Thanks Ram-bro. Haven't learned how to attach a web site. I really enjoy watching that Big old girl fly. I wonder if any younger guy's learned to build under this artest who built this beauty. Not a lot of old school builders out there now. I'm 64. Now that I have the time, I don't have the skill's. I'm lucky because we have a few very good long time builder's in our club and they are always willing to teach. If the Swordfish were not in ARF form, I would be hard pressed building her from a Kit. Nice to know there are still guy's out there whohave the knowledge and skill's to build.

Ram-bro 11-22-2009 01:20 AM

Hey it is easy attaching . When you are on Utube, the upper right side will have a box with the URL init for that video....welll you just copy and then paste it here. I appreciate builders and esp[ecially when it comes to these historic and very seldomed modeled planes....that is the only reason I am going for the Swordfish...its a once in a lifetime project. Me I prerfer the finishing and detailing over the building that is why I can consider refinishing this plane.

I admire you Brits and the LMA. To bad we dont have the same over here....without the controversy. How do you guys overthere see the modelinig scene here in the USA.

MANFRED 11-22-2009 11:57 AM

I'm hoping that cowl ring will fit my OS 5 cyl 300. Should have enough poop to power her to scale, that is lumbering about. Probably have to do a drop mech on the torpedo as they might look a little strange landing with the fish still attached.

alanc 11-22-2009 03:29 PM

QUOTE FROM RAMBRO
I admire you Brits and the LMA. To bad we dont have the same over here....without the controversy. How do you guys overthere see the modelinig scene here in the USA.

well, i personally dont take much notice, we have the BMFA (British model flying association) in short, they look after our interests, their fee includes insurance, to £10million, they, and the LMA liase with the CAA, like your FAA, we generally get left alone,

then we have the LMA, we sort out the over 7kg aircraft, very very vigorous with this, in fact, i learned today that someone being a tad dishonest about an overweight model(limit is 44kg, then it has to be inspected) was fined £2000, by the CAA, and his modeling future is a tad in jeoprdy, dont know who it is, and dont want to know, the LMA have shows, and fly-ins, (not everyone wants to be a showflyer), but both organisations have one thing in common, they operate profficency schemes, if you want more details, all are available,

Do you have organisations like ours? some of our guys have flown out in the US, with no bother, if you suffer from polotics, then thats the problem the world over, we tend to be laid back, and get on with it, when a problem comes up, we deal with it, and move on, and generally, enjoy our flying

ispirit99 12-28-2009 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys! found some pictures of the first shipped Swordfish on the UK web site. Not many but at least somthing. Mostly pictures of the Storch. Wish someone would post the wings of the Swordfish. All I could get was the fuse sitting on a box. The fuse looks bigger than the box so I have no idea how it and the wings are packed.

Ram-bro 12-28-2009 03:59 PM

its got me anxious. Any other info on the plane?