Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale

Fox, the AusBG primarily operates WWI-WWII warships, but the same basic construction, armament, and damage control techniques apply to all combat models. Also, you'll probably find it easier to convince one of them to build another galleon with you than some random Joe Schmoe off the street. My personal preference for ship keel and frames is 3/8 in 5-ply baltic birch plywood, but that is hard to find in sufficiently large plates to cut each frame of a galleon as a solid piece. Don't use balsa, because that is penetrable and you don't want someone shooting through the structural supports in your ship. Do make sure that the sides of your boat are balsa, if you intend to do RC combat.

Oxen, be careful about renting your ship for film and television, because those people like to blow stuff up[:@] I recently watched the "making of" for Pirates of the Caribbean, and look what THEY did to a perfectly good model! By the way, do you have any pictures yet?
    There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don\'t, and those who just can\'t count.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, it depends though. If they want to blow it up they'd probably be looking at $40000 to buy it. But renting it for plate shots, etc. would be okay. Possibly $1000 a day plus my on-set time if they want to run it. I have no pics yet. I want to make the pockets for the masts next, so I can go ahead and glue the PVC decks in and be done with that part of it.
    On a ship this size the masts have to come completely out for transport and storage, they'll be just over 7 feet high.
    Then I'll post some pics and close-up shots. WOO-HOO!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've never actually sailed anything before, and the closest ive got to being near a real ship is watching Pirates of the Caribbean
    So which sails are more important to control if ive only got a 4 channel rc if channels are for rudder etc.?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You want this thing for RC combat, right? That means you'll need one channel to fire guns (port and starboard). You also need a channel for your rudder, now a total of two channels. It's a good idea to have an onboard motor for when the wind fails, so that's a third channel there. That leaves one single channel for sail control, if you insist on a four-channel radio. Clearly, your galleon would look strange without its square sails, so that's what I would control. Additional stuff such as the lateens can be controlled if you get a new radio, but that's one more control for you to fiddle with while an opponent takes aim. It's been scientifically proven that the more complex your controls are, the more likely you are to make a mistake at a crucial moment, so keep things simple if you want to succeed.

Anyway, if you haven't already then take a look at these videos and decide if RC combat is really the way you want to go. Not many people like having their precious models turned into swiss cheese.
    There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don\'t, and those who just can\'t count.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, i thought about it and your right, i dont want holes in my ship, so ill just enjoy sailing around the lake for now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gawd I hate reading an interesting thread that just ends with nothing. Can you say .... DELETE
    \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

can you please email me the plans to this boat, my computer wont accept the link, my e mail is scottyhotty1998@yahoo.co.nz

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

very impressive build.
    RCUniverse.com | Wattflyer.com | RCUvideos.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12