Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Warship Combat
Reload this Page >

Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warship Combat Discuss all aspects of R/C Warship Combat here!

Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
kotori

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratch-built English Galleon 1/36 scale

Fox, the AusBG primarily operates WWI-WWII warships, but the same basic construction, armament, and damage control techniques apply to all combat models. Also, you'll probably find it easier to convince one of them to build another galleon with you than some random Joe Schmoe off the street. My personal preference for ship keel and frames is 3/8 in 5-ply baltic birch plywood, but that is hard to find in sufficiently large plates to cut each frame of a galleon as a solid piece. Don't use balsa, because that is penetrable and you don't want someone shooting through the structural supports in your ship. Do make sure that the sides of your boat are balsa, if you intend to do RC combat.

Oxen, be careful about renting your ship for film and television, because those people like to blow stuff up[:@] I recently watched the "making of" for Pirates of the Caribbean, and look what THEY did to a perfectly good model! By the way, do you have any pictures yet?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:31 PM
oxenham1

Yeah, it depends though. If they want to blow it up they'd probably be looking at $40000 to buy it. But renting it for plate shots, etc. would be okay. Possibly $1000 a day plus my on-set time if they want to run it. I have no pics yet. I want to make the pockets for the masts next, so I can go ahead and glue the PVC decks in and be done with that part of it.
On a ship this size the masts have to come completely out for transport and storage, they'll be just over 7 feet high.
Then I'll post some pics and close-up shots. WOO-HOO!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 AM
thekingoffoxes

I've never actually sailed anything before, and the closest ive got to being near a real ship is watching Pirates of the Caribbean
So which sails are more important to control if ive only got a 4 channel rc if channels are for rudder etc.?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:21 PM
kotori

You want this thing for RC combat, right? That means you'll need one channel to fire guns (port and starboard). You also need a channel for your rudder, now a total of two channels. It's a good idea to have an onboard motor for when the wind fails, so that's a third channel there. That leaves one single channel for sail control, if you insist on a four-channel radio. Clearly, your galleon would look strange without its square sails, so that's what I would control. Additional stuff such as the lateens can be controlled if you get a new radio, but that's one more control for you to fiddle with while an opponent takes aim. It's been scientifically proven that the more complex your controls are, the more likely you are to make a mistake at a crucial moment, so keep things simple if you want to succeed.

Anyway, if you haven't already then take a look at these [link=http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=kotori87]videos[/link] and decide if RC combat is really the way you want to go. Not many people like having their precious models turned into swiss cheese.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 AM
thekingoffoxes

Yeah, i thought about it and your right, i dont want holes in my ship, so ill just enjoy sailing around the lake for now.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
westonia

[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
Old 01-11-2009, 10:03 AM
nomobux
My Feedback: (4)

Gawd I hate reading an interesting thread that just ends with nothing. Can you say .... DELETE
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM
scottissexy

can you please email me the plans to this boat, my computer wont accept the link, my e mail is [email protected]
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very impressive build.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:58 AM
bigwull118

I know this is a very old topic but I could,nt help putting this link on, I made this cannon,its a half scale garrison gun, the outer barrel is made of Oak, but the inner barrel is a 50mm steel scaffold tube that has a 41.5mm bore, it can fire a golf ball over 500m using 20g of black powder, but its main use now is firing blanks see link to youtube, and make sure your volume is up loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIXSINE3xd0
Old 01-26-2021, 11:36 AM
Bredly

This design carries about 36-50 cannon, and I plan to have at least a 24-gun broadside plus bow and stern chasers. My prototype cannons currently are electrothermally (RC) or match (manually) ignited and can use either roman candle filler or regular black powder. This creates a flash, a bang, and lots of smoke, making for a nice visual display, but I doubt it would be legal to use them to fire projectiles. So I will probably have to resort to using air cannons for actual combat.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:51 AM
Panzer Dog

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bredly
This design carries about 36-50 cannon, and I plan to have at least a 24-gun broadside plus bow and stern chasers. My prototype cannons currently are electrothermally (RC) or match (manually) ignited and can use either roman candle filler or regular black powder. This creates a flash, a bang, and lots of smoke, making for a nice visual display, but I doubt it would be legal to use them to fire projectiles. So I will probably have to resort to using air cannons for actual combat.
For actual combat you are only allowed to use CO2 Cannons,, and out of curiosity to what ruleset are you building and battling these?