Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:52 AM
madmarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

your welcome
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
need2drag
My Feedback: (1)

anyone have an issue with the mesh between the clutchbell and diff gear going to crap and stripping both gears? I had this happen to me yesterday(that is the second time now), and everything is just as tight as when I put it all back together. The main issue I see is that I can't push the clutch bell any farther in. and the mesh between the 2 gears is all the way towards the back of the clutch bell. What is the deal with this?
Old 05-12-2008, 05:33 AM
DustyDoug

I had to re-shim my clutch bell, I did so before I blew out my gears.
I also noticed the slots in the chassis are barely long enough to get the correct mesh.
You may have to file out the slots a bit to close up the gap between gears.
I am runing a 10 tooth clutch bell.
If you run a bigger bell gear it may help with the problem but I like the 10 tooth bell.

Dusty
Old 05-12-2008, 02:58 PM
madmarty

does anyone know if the kyosho st-rr hub x-tensions wil work on the monsoon......i know that the ofna do........just wondering about the hex pin and axle will work. thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 04:55 PM
need2drag

I was running the 10 tooth until it stripped, and then I went with the 12 tooth. I have gotten lucky so far and that one hasn't stripped, although I have had some minor issues that made it start to strip. I was pretty happy with my 10 tooth as well, until I got the 12 tooth, and I like it a heck of a lot better.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 PM
DustyDoug

Just a note on the 10 tooth, I'm running the monster truck wheels, thay are larger raising the gearing.

I take my bell apart to clean and lube the breaings after about 5 times running the vehicle, a lot of grit gets in the nose of the bell.

There is a thread on alternative clutch bell parts to run in here somewhere already.

There are several different options for parts, just have to find the thread!

Dusty
Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
need2drag

I am running the stock rims on mine. I went and ran mine for a little today, and smacked a utility pole and busted a lower a-arm. Luckily I had a spare, so it will be a quick fix.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:44 PM
ugly duck

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Here is a upgrade for the differentials in the monsoon. Some people have problems with them stripping out the ring gear. I installed CEN Matrix ring and pinion gears part #MX040 and MX037. The truck rolls smooth as glass now just like my ST-RR and Hyper and does not have the grinding noise and notchiness of the stock gears when you roll the truck. A friend did this to a Hurricane buggy and it ran 10 times better with this upgrade so I figured I would try it since I just stripped my ring gear.
Hey, Chris - did you ever try these diffs at the track? I looked at the pictures and counted the teeth, and it looks to me that the stock final drive is a 3.67:1 ratio (12 tooth pinion, 44 tooth ring) and the Cen gears give a 2.88:1 ratio (9 tooth pinion, 26 tooth ring). This is about a 27% increase in wheel speed, similar to strapping on a 13 tooth clutch bell. Combining this upgrade with a 12 tooth clutch bell should give a 52% increase in wheel speed, and if given a long enough run should really make for a good top end! I imagine this is not what you want at the track, but it might make for a fun basher / street racer.

Damn, you guys have totally got me convinced the Monsoon is the better buy over the Avalanche. Do a couple simple mods and this truck should be hard to touch.

Edit - and did you ever sell your truck? [8D]
Old 06-22-2008, 11:37 PM
bigdaddywoo

Has anyone had problems with the front hubs strippin out during racing on big tracks with good size jumps? I have made sure they were tight and lock tighted but they continue to strip. Does anyone have a suggestion? That is the only issue I am having. The truck is great and I am winning just having that little issue. I want to go buggy racing but this issue is shying me away from the hurricane. I have a chance to pick up a kyosho inferno team addition on trade might go that route.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple fix...use screws approx. 4 to 5 mm longer..screw em all the way in to make sure the clear the drive shaft...then take em out and put a drop or 2 of tire glue (krazy glue) on the threads and put them in and tighten them up....after I've done this I havent had a problem since
Old 06-23-2008, 02:12 AM
martrix

ORIGINAL: bigdaddywoo

Has anyone had problems with the front hubs strippin out during racing on big tracks with good size jumps? I have made sure they were tight and lock tighted but they continue to strip. Does anyone have a suggestion? That is the only issue I am having. The truck is great and I am winning just having that little issue. I want to go buggy racing but this issue is shying me away from the hurricane. I have a chance to pick up a kyosho inferno team addition on trade might go that route.
It is a very common problem with the truggys and can also happen to the buggy. More so with the truggy because of the extra weight causing the aluminum thread to strip out. The correct fix is to install stainless steel recoils (helicoil). Once done, you use the same screws which now bite into stainless and will never strip. Essential to also use a medium strength loctite (262). Dont know about where you are, but here in Aus there is a bloke who does 2 hubs for AU$20. I haven't had a problem since doing it.

http://www.thorintl.com/Helicoil%20S...%20Inserts.htm

Old 06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
bigdaddywoo

Default RE: Redcat Monsoon Thread

Hey everyone just thought I would share my racomg setup with all monsoon owners. my camber is-2 f/r. toe in front +1 the rear -3
my diffs 7000f 10000c 3000r. also grease pinion gears with mugen high temp grease " lithium grease can be used also. I added a front sway bar. The two clips that hold the sway bar in place had to be bought seperate and they came off a ofna crt truggy. I added side protectors to the chasis. I found these also help getting air when jumping. The rear wing I have the rear of it as high as it can go. Do this and watch it rip in the straights. Scrape the tires and get yourself some proline hole shots make sure your rims you purchase have the same offset as factory. Losi rims work perfect. servos I run hitek hs-5985 steering and hd-5965 throttle. I have the spectrum 2 but spend the extra and get the 3. Oh add rear universals and greased all four with mugen grease. Make sure you lock tight everything that goes into metal. The only problem I have had was with the hubs in front the screws stripped out on me twice Redcat is currently working on the problem so hold tight. I have had a couple suggestions u can try helio coils our use a longer screw and add a little tire glue. I am tempted just to use some red lock tight and call it a day. u can still get it loose u just have to heat it up. Redcat please hurry!!!!! Well there you are. I am running a novarossi .28 8 port turbo engine but I also have the axial .28rr and that motor is also a beast.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
schlags62

Anyone looking for a GREAT used Monsoon? Let me know
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 PM
mcraig8377

i purchased a redcat monsoon just recently and was wondering if the engine it comes with is the same old sh.28 that had so many problems coming undone and overheating!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:12 PM
need2drag

hmmmmmmmmm.....that is a good question. Must be cuz I have had all sorts of problems with mine.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
mcraig8377

well i thought they might! make an attempt to make a better product/engine! sure hope this one dont come apart!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:37 PM
mcraig8377

how do i get ahold of the redcats guy? maybe he knows if this is the same sh.28 that they used in the older models
Old 07-09-2008, 09:40 PM
ugly duck

I'm pretty sure they haven't changed the engine, but by all accounts the SH is a really stout piece. Lots of good feedback, but like any engine there's going to be a few that don't have the quality. They're machined to 1/10000 of an inch in some cases, and a LITTLE bit off that is going to cause unacceptable slop or too much interference, and the engine is junk right from the factory.

From what I've been told, the only real recurring issues with the SH 28 is the leaking front bearing and LOTS of power - er, fuel consumption.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
mcraig8377

well i guess we will just have to see! i am in the process of looking at other cars for my kids to race and make a full blown family hobby out of THIS of course the buggy,s are of the redcat variety!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 PM
ridgerunner1

Well been a while, I lost the pinch in the SH28 so I picked up a axial 28 1s for a back up motor till my piston and sleeve get repinched, now I'm thinking I'll keep the sh28 as a back up not that its a bad engine it's not it's been a really good engine but I'm really liking this axial a little better, with the axial I was getting a lot of wheel spin with the 10 tooth bell lot more then the sh ever did the axial was topping out in less then 50 feet with temps in the 250s I ended up going with a 14 tooth bell now it handles real well still has good low end and nice top end even lowered my temps by 30degs. havn't broke anything other then the pinch in a long time on this thing hmmm may be I should be running harder...
Old 07-14-2008, 10:48 PM
Swamp3r

I just finally got a proper tune on my monsoon the grub screws moved on the linkage(yes no lock tite my bad) they are now, was a pain to fix cause the brake linkage was screwed up too. Now that it's running properly this thing is scarry fast. I ended up in a neighbors yard 4 houses down and nailed 2 4x4 wood trim around thier spruce tree I cleared the 4x4's and landed on the flower bed under thier window( my steering servo stripped again) they just laughed about it. I went out tonight and bought her some more flowers and offered to help replant. Truck is fine lol flowers not so good.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:42 AM
ridgerunner1

Good to hear its running good think you came up with a good one though.... monsoon rotor tiller....lol.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 AM
vnmsgt

The SH motors in the monsoons never had any problems. I had one of the first monsoons when they came out. It was the SH motors in the CEN Matrix's that were bad. I have had a ton of SH motor's, all out of Redcats and they are great motors.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Swamp3r

They are great motors I have 3 of them and once you get that perfect tune they just rip and tear through anything.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:10 PM
mcraig8377

i just received my redcat tornado exp does anybody know how long the charge time is with the stock batterey charger? cant find this information anywhere. would appreciate any help i can get!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.