RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Redcat Racing Support (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/)
-   -   Gear shift (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/redcat-racing-support-427/4314984-gear-shift.html)

chri4798 05-25-2006 11:13 AM

Gear shift

Hi!

I've just bought a tornado XP with two gears, and i wanna know how to change the gears
How do you do it?

Popper252 05-25-2006 11:35 AM

RE: Gear shift

Make it go real fast.... :D

The gears use centrifical force to shift. So once you get going fast enough they'll automatically shift into second. When you slow back down first will automatically kick back in. You'll know that it shifted because you'll hear the engines rpms drop just like in a real car. There's also a way to adjust for the shift point, incase you want second to engage earlier or later. I'll try to get some pictures posted later to show you what to mess with.

Popper252 05-25-2006 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright well here are the pics.
The first picture is how the whole deal works. Baisically when you're running your car eventually you'll go fast enough to where the little arm swings up and then the tab on the second gear hits it and it becomes engaged. When you slow down the arm folds back down and the tab is no longer caught on it and then first gear is engaged.

The second picture is of the screws to adjust it. I wish I knew which way to turn the adjustment screw but I've never had to mess with it so I really don't know. You'll have to expirement with it. If you guys end up figuring out how turning either way affects the shift point let us know.

The third picture is from the bottom of the car just showing you where the screws are.

The last one is of the access hole in the top of the transmission.

Hope this helps.

TopSpeedToys 05-25-2006 08:10 PM

Great job on the pics and all Popper252..... you're always here to lend a hand.
Just wanted to let oyu know.

This should be in the Tuning and FAQ thread that never got pinned..

Mark

Popper252 05-25-2006 08:20 PM

Thanks man, I do what I can.

I'll probably end up posting it in that FAQ thread once someone figures out what adjustments turning that screw makes.

chubbysuncle 05-25-2006 09:37 PM

Popper loosen the set screw to engage earlier tighten for later. Too tight never shift, too loose falls out and gone![X(] If you adjust this take it out, DON'T LOSE THE SPRING AND LITTLE BALL!, and put blue loctite on it. It has to be at least flush with the clutch or else it'll catch on the 2nd gear engagement tab and lock the car in second. I think factory setting is about 1-2 turns infrom flush. If you still get no shift to 2nd you'll need to remove the trans and clean and check all gears and clean out the clutch of sand grit etc. that may be in it. Also make sure the steel pin is in the 2nd gear clutch tab.[8D] PS your rotation is backwards in that John Madden drawing there ;) arrow should point up.

Popper252 05-25-2006 10:08 PM

No way, I've got the rotation right. I lined everything up and doublechecked it. Although I've been wrong before(not really)... so who knows.
I actually gave madden a call (we go way back) and he ok'd the arrow for me. Even gave me a pointer (PUN!) or two.
Maybe the angle of the picture has you all mixed up.
Anyways, to make the story short. I'm right you're wrong. :)

chubbysuncle 05-25-2006 11:43 PM

OK..OK your're right. Then 2nd gears in backwards,the centrifigal arm pops out and hits the flat on the 2nd gear tab.If the gears are rotating in the pic I don't think you'll go fast. IMO....:D They look cool when you get the shift point right on and they click in and the buggy kinda bounces up and starts really movin'! right towards something that isn't moving when I'm driving.LOL
[sm=disappointed.gif] Actually I AM Wrong! I blame it on stupidity! ...OH gotta go newscasters are outside already. They found out I goofed!:D

nicacus 05-26-2006 10:42 AM

Popper and his camera... where would we all be without it..

chri4798 05-26-2006 03:06 PM

how fast will it go in top gear? Just curios

jackkpl 05-26-2006 03:08 PM

i advise to use search button :). Mine did 60kph on 16% nitro.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4296431/tm.htm

NSXTACY 01-03-2007 03:36 PM

What if your car cuts off right before its about to shift?? When i go full throttle and its at its highest speed in the gear it never shifts, i guess it tries too, and cuts off moments later. I checked my tranny the adjustable screw, spring and ball are still in place. The adjustment might be too tight... could that be the reason? Anybody know what i should do? Or what the problem is? Could it have nothing to do with the gearbox... Im gonna loosen the adjustment screw and see if that does anything... But please help! Any info would help ALOT!
Thanks! And great pics!

ehroof 01-03-2007 03:39 PM

try to loosen the shifting grub screw, i had the same problem and had to replace the shifting unit. sounds like your revving it out too much without a shift.

NSXTACY 01-03-2007 10:55 PM

Thanks just found your reply. ;)

shortburb 02-03-2008 11:21 AM

How about it (volcano) staying in second? Right out of the box it shifted 1-2 then back into first then 1-2 and now is stuck in second. Im going to play with the adjuster screw and see what happens....

ehroof 02-03-2008 11:38 AM

volcano has a single speed tranmission

shortburb 02-03-2008 11:52 AM

ummmmm hmmm. sure sounded like a shift to me

ehroof 02-03-2008 11:55 AM

unless you changed the transmission, its a single speed bro, :D, it is the volcano truck right?

shortburb 02-03-2008 11:58 AM

sorry sorry sorry its a tornado.....buggy

ehroof 02-03-2008 12:00 PM

oh, thats a different story, lol

you need to play with the grub screw for shifting, all the information is above.

stagga 05-22-2008 03:25 PM

ok i have a question about the shifting. i run my car in a small parking lot (about the size of a basketball court) when the car just about shifts into 2nd it is time to hit the brakes. i thought about makin the shift come sooner, but then the rpms are pretty low and by time it picks up enough speed i have to hit the brakes. if i was to loosen the screw for shifting to make the 2nd shift come later would that put more wear on the 1st gear and engine? basically it would be in 1st 80-90% of the time if i was to make the shift come later.