Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

NEW SPAD GLUES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 05:22 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: NEW SPAD GLUES?

Maybe it is the brand of corro I tested with.  I have a big corrugated box stapler I havent tried yet too?  The staples are pretty heavy.  I think a Gnat is in the future, it doesn't need glue.  I will put some Gorilla type glue mixed with a few drops of water on the inside leading edge to strengthen it up when (if) it hits the ground.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM
slamn sammy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don' know ? I'd stay with the glue and kicker. That works for me, don't know about the tape! Thank of fuel prufing !
Old 10-21-2012, 04:59 AM
aspeed

Not tape.  Staples.  The big 2" or so staples.  Some people use a heavy duty stapler to join the trailing edge as well as CA or whatever glue, to hold it while drying and for extra insurance in a crash.  The 2" staples are overkill.  I did see a gentleman that used corugated boxes and paper tape to build.  He used dope and paint to seal up the surface.  I actually used that method before the coroplast became popular back in around the early1980's.  I saw an article in a very old magazine with plane called a Bamboozle that was cardboard with a bamboo fuselage and the motor mount was held on with rubber bands and a pivot.  It was control line.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:05 AM
slamn sammy

I wouldn't use staples. Use medium CA and spray accelerator. Be patient, and let it dry.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM
CaptKAOS
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: blindfaithnogod

I like this stuff when gluing coro to just about anything.

http://www.amazon.com/E6000-Adhesive.../dp/B00178MO58

you can get it at wal-mart in the craft section..... and probably any other similar store or hobby store
Same stuff as Goop...made in the same factory...
Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Mnw1998

There is this stuff called GOOP and it can really put anything to anything. when i build my SPAD this year i will put the GOOP to the test. You can get the stuff anywhere. (Walmart, Hardware store etc..) I do believe it's fuel proof aswell
Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I've used goop before , but not on airplanes. ITs pretty good glue.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM
slamn sammy

Whats up NeroZero? Hope u hand a good Thanksgiving! Hope you where a good boy, so you'll get some new plane's for Christmas. If you can stand the smell, I found that using PVC glue and PVC Primer works real good! BUT! mousy l use CA with a light spray of kicker works fine and if you can clamp it and let it dry without the kicker works best.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:45 PM
richard dee
My Feedback: (3)

What is PU
Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM
aspeed

A nasty stink, or Polyurethane. The Gorilla foaming type glue, and the Goop are Polyurethane, as well as the 6000 stuff. I recently folded up a wing with the CA glue, and flaming it first, and it worked well. I don't think I will bother with the other methods. I did use a few heavy duty paper type staples too, just in case. Just reading through the thread again. In two years, I have gone through another two houses, and not finished the Gnat yet. Pretty close though.

Last edited by aspeed; 07-06-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:35 AM
slamn sammy

Whats up there Airspeed? What u working now? l cant seem to get anything dun here. Think l'm suffering from burn out. The aint's are killing me. It keeps raining here and there heading for higher ground. The SumBitc*'*! Wish l had there energy! l have a new , well it's not new anymore! l bought it three years ago, been standing behind the door in the bedroom. It's a 50cc gas plane, just can't seem to get anything going. Whats on ur mind? Also, l got some guys here that have (Paint Ball) wars here, There wanting me to build some LARGE SPADS! and teach them how to fly. May be some fun!

Last edited by slamn sammy; 07-07-2015 at 03:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 AM
aspeed

Too busy moving right now. Got to build a shop too. Conservationists are making it difficult as it is on the lake. Might have to try my seaplanes on real water finally. Started a few SPADs. Gnat, a thick winged stick, and a .15 size thin wing stick. Prolly not this year cause of the move. Just topping up batteries and getting out once in a while. My previous club was a Rod & Gun club too, they shot down some planes one day for some fun. Was not as easy as you might think, even when hit.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aspeed
A nasty stink, or Polyurethane. The Gorilla foaming type glue, and the Goop are Polyurethane, as well as the 6000 stuff. I recently folded up a wing with the CA glue, and flaming it first, and it worked well. I don't think I will bother with the other methods. I did use a few heavy duty paper type staples too, just in case. Just reading through the thread again. In two years, I have gone through another two houses, and not finished the Gnat yet. Pretty close though.
I don't think Goop, of which there are 12 flavors (one of which is E6000), is a polyurethane as is gorilla. Anyway, E6000 has worked well for me. Here is a Corotex fuse for my Nexstar. It outlasted the original many times over.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	2107950  
Old 01-11-2016, 02:40 PM
DESERT RATT

Has anyone tried PVC 2 part glue used for plumbing.. I use it for plumbing and for any pvc stuff I build. It uses a primer which does melt a little of the pipe, then the glue. I have used it for high pressure air lines hold 110 lbs.
I haven't built a Spad but have wanted to for lots of years, Just never could find the time between building with Balsa and putting Arf's together.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:02 PM
aspeed

I tried the C5 pvc stuff and it did not work well. It is just one part, I did not use any primer though. The old wax and oil remover, flame and CA worked well for me. Experiment a bit, It is always good to do that to see for yourself. Oh, and tell us too:-)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 AM
slamn sammy

Originally Posted by DESERT RATT
Has anyone tried PVC 2 part glue used for plumbing.. I use it for plumbing and for any pvc stuff I build. It uses a primer which does melt a little of the pipe, then the glue. I have used it for high pressure air lines hold 110 lbs.
I haven't built a Spad but have wanted to for lots of years, Just never could find the time between building with Balsa and putting Arf's together.
I have try'ed it, works ok, just a bit messed and then I woke up and released that I needed to open a window! LOL.........
Old 03-14-2016, 08:38 AM
ron ward

probably the same as goop,...I don't know because I have never seen goop in the stores around me,,,,, but I've been using "shoe goo" with really good results for coro to coro, balsa or any wood to coro (like bulkheads or firewalls), or just about anything you might glue to coroplast. Walmart has it in their shoe dept. it just about rips the coro apart when you pull two glued pieces apart. works great flat surface to flat surface, edge to edge or edge to flat surface.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:57 PM
DESERT RATT

Thanks Ron.