Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Pitts M12 26% plans available soon

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Pitts M12 26% plans available soon

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 11:20 AM
bbt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pitts M12 26% plans available soon

Thanks guys for your nice words. The result is worth the effort but believe me ... this is a LOT of work[&o]!

Boogie,
The MVVS 1.60 should be OK for a 60" wingspan but keep the weight below 5kg if you want 3D. Do not expect 22lbs of static thrust from this engine. You will most probably get 6.5Kg (14 lbs) of thrust ... or may be a little bit more with a tuned pipe. Your servo setup should be OK for a 60" size.

My setup will be as follow: 4*HS-645MG for ailerons, 2* HS-645MG for elevators, 1* HS-945MG for the rudder and a fast&reliable servo for the motor. The engine will be a MVVS 35cc (2.10) Gas.

Finn,
The laser cut sheets are now finished. I requested a couple of laser cut shops to provide me a quote. If the offer is within my budget then I'll order and start the build as soon as the wood arrives. If everything goes well the bird should be ready end-spring

The fuse sides will be made of lite plywood. I believe that those plywood side combined with the formers + spars are sufficient to build a strong fuse. Some additional holes in the formers could help to save some additional weight.
If you want to scale down the plane then you might consider to use balsa plywood for the fuse formers excepts for C1, C2, C3 and F1, F2, F3, F4. Idem for the fuse side S1 but keep S2 in plywood.
A wingspan /length around 53" should be ideal for a 90 class engine. But again ... 3D or not 3D? That's the question!

About the landing gear and upper wing fixation ... I agree with you that this is too light. Some birch plywood re-enforcement at the right place should do the job. This plane is intended for experienced modelers, I am convinced this small add-on can be done easily.

A small tip... if you scale down my plan to 80% (55 inch) then you should be able to use all the formers without modifications wit 4x4mm and 8x8mm (instead of 5x5 and 10X10). Same for wings ribs [:-]

The Laser cut files were sent to Terry earlier today. They should be available on his site soon.

Cheers,
BBT
Old 02-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Boogie

BBT:
I still haven't decide which engine I am going to use. Still deciding between mvvs 1.6 and 2.1. The difference in price is about 30 $ which is not much.
One of my friends has this setup in his sukhoi and I will ask him to see what are real facts about those engines. Then I am going to finally choose one of those engines.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Susto

Hi BBT! I'm Sergio from Spain. You've designed a wonderfull biplane. I was wondering if you could do a 3D version of the plan to see the real model in 3D It could help much to see the different parts of the model. I known you are an expert on Autocad programs. I am interested in build it someday ( when my new workroom will be finished... ) I think a year. I hope during this time somebody has built it and tested flying.

Best regards from Barcelona

Sergio
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 AM
ALW Phantom
My Feedback: (2)

BBT, I have followed this thread closely and I have to agree with everyone else, OUTSTANDING! I do have a few questions I was wondering if you could answer for me ... I went to the link you posted and downloaded the PDF file of your plane, and after viewing it I was wondering what the lines on the bottom of the wing plans are for? I tried to figure it out, and after I slap my forhead when you give me the answer I will prove once again ... its the easiest things that you start losing at first HAHA! My second question is what would it take to get the full size plans so I can start cutting and building? I thought I would ask you before going to the local copy shop and have some younger person look at me with that face, you know the same one I had at their age. Anyway, once again outstanding plane and yes I agree on the fact its not what you always see. Thanks for future replies ...
Old 03-04-2005, 11:51 AM
bbt

Sergio,
To be honest ... I am not so good at 3D CAD . My intention is to build the plane and post pictures of the build process. This will be much better than 3D CAD

ALW Phantom,
The 'lines' on the bottom of the wings plans are the formers + spacing for the canopy.
Your options are: build a balsa canopy or a positive for a mold.
My preference is going to a carbon fiber canopy. It should be fantastic on this bipe. Therefore, the mold would be my option. A transparent canopy should be fine too. It's just a question of weight, finishing, taste, time & money

The PDF paper size is at the correct size to build this plane. If you go to a print shop just ask to print at scale 1:1. If the younger person looks at you with that 'face' then you will be entitled to reply: 'what ? Don't you know how to print plans at scale 1:1 ?'[>:]
Old 03-04-2005, 01:19 PM
ALW Phantom

Ok, would you mind humoring me for a second, what size paper will the plans come out on? I mean if I get that "face" can I atleast tell him what the overall size of the paper will be? As far as the canopy, I think Im going with the clear one, more for the ease then anything else. Once again, Thanx!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:33 PM
bbt

The plan frame is 93.7 * 66.2 inches.

This means that the paper size should be at least that big. Huge isn't it ?

Practically, I believe it will be impossible to print on one single sheet. Usually, print shop can print on multiple paper sheets with crop marks. The crop marks will allow you to adjust & glue the sheets together.

Four B1 (ISO) paper sheets or four A0 paper sheet per plan sheet should be enough.

Feel free to shoot more questions ... you don't see my face anyway
Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Boogie

Any updates on Your pitts?? I am just starting mine with mvvs 35 and 64 inches of wingspan. It will take a lot of time to build though.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:50 AM
ALW Phantom

BBT, In case you didnt see it please read the thread titled WARNING !!!!! I will admit to already downloading the files from the page you linked and rest assure that they are for ME and ME only!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 11:55 AM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

What a great-looking plane! I would love to build one. I think this design is begging for laser cut parts.

Who would be interested in going in on a group-buy for a short kit (formers/ribs/fuse sides, etc)? Better yet, has anybody actually cut these parts yet?

I don't have any connections, but I know it would be much cheaper to share the setup cost between twenty or thirty guys and that there are many good cutting companies who would love our business!

Brett
Old 03-13-2005, 01:24 AM
Bat Fastard

Hey Brett, count me in on a short kit. BTW does anyone want one in 50cc size? That is what im interested in. Im thinking of blowing up the plans to around 68" wingspan or so with about a 15 lb weight. Anyone else interested? BTW I have a ZDZ 50 sitting around with a tuned canister needing a home (as well as an mvvs 1.6 gasser). Thinking this pitts monster would be awesome home for it. Jamie
Old 03-13-2005, 01:32 AM
Bat Fastard

Sorry guys I wasnt using my conversion calc. the 175 cm wingspan plans are perfect for what I want. Lets get a few more guys for the laser cut kit. Jamie
Old 03-17-2005, 11:58 AM
BTerry

I am asking a few kit cutters for quotes, and I will definitely post the info on RCU if/when I get some prices for you.

Brett
Old 03-17-2005, 04:41 PM
ALW Phantom

I have all the tools to cut the kit myself, but if the price is right I might just buy one. Lets see what the price comes to and how many are interested. Wonder if anyone makes a glass cowl and canopy that will fit this?
Old 03-18-2005, 01:31 PM
acrored

Hi all, i really want to buil this bipe coz it look terrific, i can´t download any plans on the links bbt, are they still freeware ? thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Boogie

Can anyone help me in modifying plans to have wings joined with a tube??
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 PM
teamkillerdragon

..... have wings joined with a tube??
That whould not be a problem! There for you must make an new whole into the ribs , but in a straight line!

I´ld like to do them for you, but i can´t download the pan []
Old 03-21-2005, 06:34 PM
teamkillerdragon

@Boogie

Now I have finished the wingmod.

Oh, yes
Here you got the file **(I should delete this)**

for the others: The wing got the size of 1624 mm and the whole for the tube should be 22mm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now something to explain:

1. On the top wing I must cut the main spar, because the tube was too lage for them. But I have a second main spar a little bit behind the first main spar, so I think it hold.
2. Between W1 and W2 (WB1 and WB2 too) there I filled a new piece because the bolt should be hold straight. (so this piece is only needed on one site of the wings!)
3. The pices WS1 and WS2 could be smaller because thei must not wear the wing into one piece (the tube should do!) The piece WS3 is not needed.

I hope, it would help!

-------------------------
OH! If I am to delete the file, you must say! (I think ebay etc..)
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM
bbt

Hi,

I am now back from my vacation in the Swiss Alps

Yes ! The plans are still available ... freeware and enhanced.

If you want to receive tha plans then send me an RCU private message with the following information: your private Email, full name, complete address & phone number. I will reply within a week with the plans in attachement. The plans will include the fuse + wing sheets as well as the laser cut sheet.

TeamKillerDragon, the enhanced plans includes the wing tube modification. I would like to keep control about who is getting the plans. Therefore, may I ask you to remove the DWG file from your site?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:32 PM
teamkillerdragon

Ok the file has been removed ! (23 downloads if you want to kwon)

Are you make a tube modification too?

well, than I´m interrested too! [sm=cool.gif]
Old 03-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Mike Parsons

Mmmm..I love Pitts. I am sending a PM.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63060.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	248069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66208.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	248070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23310.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	248071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62819.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	248072  
Old 03-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Boogie

Any news on the Pitts??
Old 03-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Ian.W

EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED

Thanks
Ian

_______

edit- Ian, send him a PM message with your email address. Posting your email address in a public forum will earn you a bucket load of SPAM mail.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 PM
oldtimer2
My Feedback: (19)

I had the fuselage and wing plans run across a plotter at the local office supply store today. they look great,and the images are clear and sharp. When I receive the laser cut files I will have them cut so that I can start the construction.I have a Moki 210 collecting dust, so I will use it on the Spirit. Thanks agin for your effort and work.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:56 PM
bbt

Sorry for the delays for the Cut sheets. I was quite busy at work the past couple of weeks.

As promised, the reviewed & corrected fuse & wing plans have been sent during the past weekend.

The Laser Cut sheets are almost ready. Be aware that I found a major bug on the previous version which was available on Terry's site. In fact, they are unusable.

I you want the new laser cut sheets then follow my instructions on post 44. Idem for the plans. People that already requested the plans via PM will get the new laser cut sheet automatically from me.

BTW: I finally received a quote from LaserWorks [link]http://www.laserlizard.com[/link].

The laser time would be 200 minutes, which equates to
$200.00. Materials would be $58.28. The total would be $258.28.
This the first time for me. I have no idea if the price is OK. Can someone help me here ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.