Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Swick Taylorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Praire Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swick Taylorcraft

I have the Plans for the Swick Taylorcraft from Model Airplane News. Thinking of building my first scratch built. Any feedback about these plans, and the weight of finished plane? Also does anyone know if somone makes a fiberglass cowl for this plan?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
hifly2104
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Swick Taylorcraft

check out the thread 1/4 Swick Taylorcraft

I managed to find one of these almost completely built .Not completely but enough that I can say I did some of the work. At the present I am building the right wing left is already built. Do you know how much harder it is to build one to match a previously built by someone else. Like most people no one follow the plans 100% as with the wing I have to match . So I have to look at the plans look at the wing check cap strip etc sizes. The other thing I am using a wing jig the previous builder had and have never used one before not saying its not a good thing just a little different .. The instructions I have the pictures are dark (not that you can't use them )and grainy. Instructions well I read them and will reread them but as my build is further along than a Start I don't think I overly need them . I am sure some one out there makes a glass cowl for this plane but the cowl they describe made with wood that the top comes off sounds kinda like what I want ,not sure I will build it exactly as describe as with the materials used. This is one of the things I like about this hobby I can experiment and DO IT MY Way
If I can find the scanner we had here and get it to work and you would like a copy of the instructions PM me here with your email address I will be glad to send them
Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1/4 taylorcraft and I do know who made the kid or if it is crached or not.. do you have a pic of what your plane looks like?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: hifly2104

check out the thread 1/4 Swick Taylorcraft
hifly,

I searched for the thread you mentioned, but only found this one:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_83.../tm.htm#838499

It only has one reply and nothing else. Did I miss it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-15-2006, 07:43 PM
hifly2104

Hi Mark , i just mentioned it as it appeared 2 threads on the same topic could be going and thought it might be easier to pull everyone into one thread.
Tellspin37 unsure of what you mean "I have a 1/4 taylorcraft and I do know who made the kid or if it is crached or not." I don't have any pics right now but will take some when I have finished the wing The plane I have is the one mentioned that is scratch built from the plans in MAN
Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Looper
My Feedback: (22)

The plans for the Swick were in two parts; the first part was published with the MAN article and the second part came with the the set of plans. The plans were drawn by the late Jim Simpson who was an avid T-Craft fan. He published several other plans and they were all good. IMHO, the Swick was his best work. I built and occasionally fly the version that was kitted by ACE. Any T-Craft is a fine flyer due to its great moments and the semi-symmetrical airfoil. I believe Stans Fiberglass has a cowl available. Good luck, Frank
Old 11-15-2006, 10:22 PM
KI8FR

The one I have is a 1/4 scale. I is alot like the sig 1/4 scale j3. but sig did not make this. It looks to be scrach bilt. The cow on this plane that I have is the same cow but fiberglass that is on the sig j3 1/4 scale. The plane is grate. I love it.. but I get asked about the plane all the time and no anser for it.

That is why I asked about it.
Paul
Old 11-15-2006, 10:40 PM
hifly2104

Hey Tellspin thats not a problem I just didn't understand what you originally asked .I will try and get some pictures on here by the weekend .That is if I can figure that out. As Looper stated the one I am building is by the late Jim Simpson
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Looper

The plans for the Swick were in two parts; the first part was published with the MAN article and the second part came with the the set of plans. The plans were drawn by the late Jim Simpson who was an avid T-Craft fan. He published several other plans and they were all good. IMHO, the Swick was his best work. I built and occasionally fly the version that was kitted by ACE. Any T-Craft is a fine flyer due to its great moments and the semi-symmetrical airfoil. I believe Stans Fiberglass has a cowl available. Good luck, Frank
All good news, as I ordered these plans a few weeks back and am waiting impatiently to get them into my hands.

Do you have any weights for this model? I am thinking that either a G-26 or Brillelli 40GT would make a great flyer depending on weight. It will be finished with Koverall and dope (really, is there any other way to finish??) as well.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 AM
hifly2104

The plans say the bare bones shell weighs just 5lbs I can see that with what I have already have built . I guess from there its weight of covering and servos and engine that will get it up there. Duh now that was a no brainer reply , but I hope you know what I meant. I was thinking of using a 1.08 or a 1.48 ASP or MDS. I have a weedwhacker conversion that was in another 1/4 scale Tcraft but I have it set aside for a Treehopper ( www.rcguys.com)I bought for my 6 year old daughter for Christmas
Covering I was going to use Super Coverite I have a large 4'x15' roll I used the older coverite years ago and had tremendous luck with it . I will experiment with waterbased acrylic enamel. Try it on something small and if I like it go with it.Paint scheme now that is the trick . I need plane to be red and yellow so I can see it in the sky. Other colours tend to, well go black or blend in with the sky. Must be an Age thing
Old 11-16-2006, 12:42 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: hifly2104

The plans say the bare bones shell weighs just 5lbs I can see that with what I have already have built . I guess from there its weight of covering and servos and engine that will get it up there.
With a 5lb airframe, I can see ending up around 13lb with a 40cc Brillelli on board. That would be an awesome combination, with close to unlimited vertical and that nice gas engine sound, along with cheap operation. I can see this plane becoming a daily flier that goes to the field every time I do.[8D]

Mark
Old 11-19-2006, 01:16 PM
hifly2104

Ok I will play the silly game how does one add pictures to a Thread. They are on a floppy disc (Sony Digital Camera)

Thanks Mike
Old 11-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Mike, if you can convert them to .jpeg format they will upload providing they are not to big. 6000KB is max size.

Bob
Old 11-19-2006, 06:50 PM
hifly2104

Well I can save them to my pictures don't know if that changes them to a jpeg format or not but what do I do to get them from My Pictures to this thread Don't seem to see anywhere that it says add attachment
Old 11-19-2006, 11:13 PM
mmattockx

Mike,

You need to use the "reply" button on the top right of each post, not the quick reply box at the bottom of the screen. Then it gives a link in the bottom of the text box to upload pics. Hit that, then browse the the location on your computer where they are stored and it will upload them.

BTW, got my plans order yesterday and had a quick look at the Swick Taylorcraft plans. Nice plans, fairly extensive building and not as big as I was expecting. Should be very enjoyable to get into it and have the balsa chips flying.

Mark
Old 11-20-2006, 06:38 AM
hifly2104

Ok That was supposed to work .The first picture is an incomplete fuse, which may seem easy but I have always found it easier to cut pieces together when there are more than one the same. As you can see where wing fastens isn't there on the one side and you can see the new wing .
Maybe its a location thing ,you being on the prairies lol ,but I think this is quite a large plane As you can see with the wing on it spans nearly 8' the fuse is over 14" wide. I will definitely be using a 148 engine or bigger on this plane
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95128.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	563590   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44300.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	563591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23572.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	563592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93388.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	563593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16548.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	563594  
Old 11-20-2006, 08:08 AM
hifly2104

Hey where'd that Gee Bee come from ( thought I'd add a pic of it sure as shooting someone would ask what it was in another pic) As you can see this plane comes with Booster tabs . Can be built with or without them adds a nice finish for that real scale look. Not sure I would have put them on if I had built this from the beginning but they are there now so will have to do it on the wing I built.This is not a plane you would want to tackle as your first scratch build but it is quite straight forward. Once I get the wings and fuse completed will start on the cowl and It shouldn;t be that difficult no more than the rest of the build at least
Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 AM
hifly2104

Well I got most of the wing and fuse finished off Landing gear looks like it could be a problem to fasten will take some pictures maybe someone has a good idea Now on to the cowl ,this will take some time and a whole lot of sanding maybee even more than one try at it.The original plans show it being built on the fuse with longerons(lack of better word)built in to the fuse as an aligning point. as you can see from my pictures only one is on the plane the other has been broken off. So I decided to build it on the table using some cross lines a little eye alignment and a whole lot of good luck I hope. The picture shows the plywood cowl plate and the balsa face plate with 4 balsa sticks glued to hold it in the place I felt was the right spot. I then started adding thin strips (planking)to fill in the space. Removing the sticks that were used for alignment as I went along

Name:	Jh14676.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	567475  
Old 12-08-2006, 05:31 PM
aerospot

Funny, I was just doing a websearch for some good Swick photos for paint scheme ideas when I came upon this thread.
I have had a set of Jim Simpson Swick plans that have been hanging in my rafters for a few years now. I blew them off and unrolled them the other night. It's been hang'in in my 'craw' for awhyle now so I made up a materials list and hit the Lone Star site. Hey, They take PayPal now! Spend'in $ online keeps gettin easier and easier...
I plan to attempt the built up cowl. If I go Gas it'll be my first

Dave
Old 12-08-2006, 06:34 PM
hifly2104

Hey way to go I think its a great plane , would Highly recommend a wing jig if ya have one .Do you have the build instructions with the plans even though they are quite vague. Yeah wooden cowl the only way for a scratch build mine looks a little crude but as I went it looked a little bit better . I will epoxy the inside along with some Glass cloth but that won't be until engine is fitted to the cowl. Here are some more pics of the cowl. Yup that is a glass cowl right beside last photo Its about 1/4" to narrow on each side at the firewall and not quite round enough . So I made a wooden one what do you think

Name:	Vt58615.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	573908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41737.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	573909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76305.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	573910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94558.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	573911  
Old 12-08-2006, 06:49 PM
BOB MOORE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys go to my profile and look at paint on my real Tcraft that I owned for 19 Years
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 AM
aerospot

That cowl looks fine. Exactly what I have in mind...
Alas, I had the build instructions / article but cannot locate them now. If you have them and can share, I'd appreciate em...
The box of wood should arrive any day now. I'm finishin up a couple odds and ends to make room on the board for it.
I have a crude wing jig that I made out of 5/32 music wire. Not sure if it's long enough for half a wing. I was planning on blocking up the TE and build on the board. Any thoughts on this one??

Also, I'm a fan of Sig Koverall and have used it a bunch in the past. I'm interested in using fabric found on Aircraft Spruce & Specialty site as an alternative along with Randolph Nitrate. This project would bode well for this type of finish. Has anyone had experiance with these alternatives?? Or any other??? Inquiring minds want to know

Dave
Old 12-17-2006, 09:47 AM
hifly2104

I spent yesterday just putzin around on the plane. I got the top hatch cut and taped together for a fit with the glass in it.
I have already thanked my father in law for giving me his table saw but will do it on here even though he may never read it .Thanks Jack!! Guess what I am trying to say is the better the equipment the better the job. Prior to building this plane I had an off shore made table saw was alright to a certain degree. Guess its that certain degree that makes the difference in fit and finish.Jack my father in law gave me his old table saw (at least 30/40 years old)weighs 2 tonnes and works like a dream .Any inaccuracy is in the user

Back to the build. As I was saying frame installed with the glass in it really adds a nice touch to the plane. Placing small pieces of wood here and there to finish off the shape.Also realized there should be stringers running the length of the fuse along the top(Thanks for those Pics Bob Moore ) plans are a little iffy on that part. Have the doors made or atleast framed trying to decide how I want to install the glass. With or without roll up windows. Hey just kidding but I bet it made you laugh. Will try and get a couple more pics on later. Thanks for the input guys wasn't sure if anyone was reading this
Old 12-18-2006, 06:58 AM
hifly2104

Hey Tellspin37 how about some pictures of it that might help identify it
Mike
Old 12-30-2006, 02:01 PM
aerospot

OK, my box of wood arrived and I promptly wiped off a bunch of balsa scraps from my building board. I have layed out the wings flat on the plans.
The plans show and instructions indicate some dihedral. The article sez to invert the fuse w/ the wings plugged in and to shim the center 3/4". In attempting to plan for this angle i find no reference to it anywhere. And the spars protrude straight out of the wing without any angle.
I'm assuming that there is 'slop' in the spar-box to allow for the dihedral? It doesnt appear to have that kind of 'play' to it rather the spar fits quite snug. Where would the 'gap' be addressed? The root rib or the attachment on the fuselage?
The spar only extends one rib deep into the wing. Would there be any advantage / detriment to extending it one more rib deeper? (2 ribs deep) Just seems that I may be a weak spot with only a couple inches of adhesion in the wing itself...

Name:	Db86051.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	586647  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.