RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Seaplanes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/)
-   -   Seaplane pictures (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/seaplanes-176/2341739-seaplane-pictures.html)

Ivalej1 11-13-2004 05:28 PM

Seaplane pictures

Hey people! lets see thos seaplane pictures. all apply scale, non scale, helis, what ever. as long as its rc flys and takes off and lands on water, lets see em!

JohnBuckner 11-14-2004 01:18 PM

RE: Seaplane pictures

Heres one of mine shot Friday and yesterday at the London Bridge float fly.

John

And my coke bottle plane in a typical pose at about 15 mph.

JohnBuckner 11-14-2004 01:57 PM

Ivalej1 11-14-2004 05:20 PM

wow 4 engines! thats crazy. wow did the planes handle the water? i see the water kinda choppy

JohnBuckner 11-14-2004 05:52 PM

Thanks Ivalej, Yes I have on occassion been called crazy before [8D]. Those three photos were made on Friday and I am dependant on folks to send me photos as I never can seem to get them. The airplane as of yesterday now has 69 day flights and two night flights. This was its first outing on floats and I was delighted with the result. The floats are whacked out of dumpster foam and flat bottomed. On Friday there was a good turnout but the water was choppy with some whitecaping further out and as a result only maybe 10 or twelve were flying. This worked in my favor because of the need to hog the flight station longer than normal. Anyway the floats handled the chop beautifully and were very smooth in the waves. Got in two flights Friday but Sunday it was so busy only got one flight. Had hoped to get in a Saturday evening night flight as had been the tradition at this event but getting the recovery boat was in doubt so called it a day. I depend on a wheelchair and was so exhausted by the two days that its just as well. Didn't even drive back down for the last day today, totally beat but happy.

John

Ivalej1 11-14-2004 08:27 PM

wow thats awsome. the sound must be amazing on that plane. now for your night flying. do you have any special lights mounted on the plane?

Hey guys if you have any pictures post away! :)

JohnBuckner 11-14-2004 09:10 PM

The wing and fuselage are internally lit full length with neon yellow glowire, thats why the clear yellow monocoat covering and that is powered with a nine volt radio battery good for 15 hours or more. There are three removable color coded (red left, green right and white tail) incandescent orientation lights, all wiring is internal. Actually they are 1157 auto tail lights. Powered by a seven cell 3000 Nimh Car battery, good for around thirty minutes. Its banded on the top of the wing in the middle for ease of changing in dark.

John

JohnBuckner 11-14-2004 09:18 PM

double post

Ivalej1 11-14-2004 10:46 PM

that has to be an amazing site! do you have any pictures from your night flying?

Cmon guys lets see those float plane pics

JohnBuckner 11-15-2004 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Meesh 11-15-2004 11:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my Lanier Mariner 40 with OS 50SX. My buddy Jack took this with his new Canon $4500.00 Digital camera.

cf-drg 11-15-2004 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of mine... They both are 1/6 scale... so the Husky has a 126" WS and the Turbo Beav has a 96" WS

JohnBuckner 11-15-2004 02:00 PM

CF that Fairchild Husky is fantastic and a refreshing subject for a scale float plane.

John[8D]

Man, I can only just dream of nice smooth water like that.

cf-drg 11-15-2004 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes John, not many huskys modelled... In fact that one.... I had to draw my own plans from a 3-view.... That lake is 40 min. from my house, and a bunch of guys get together every Monday (if the weathers nice) to go flying in the morning.... Thought I might post the real thing on the left that I modelled mine from....

evan-RCU 11-16-2004 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one, a GP Dazzler that I fly on floats, I have more fun running it around in the snow and grass than flying it even though it's extremely aerobatic.

evan-RCU 11-16-2004 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably my favorite, great relaxing flyer, 105" span, 5.5lbs Saito .56 for power. All scratch and all my own plans, airplane and floats.

evan-RCU 11-16-2004 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My fastest floatplane, much faster than my Northstar. Rolls super fast and does great flat spins and snaps too, Power is a OS.32 w/ mousse pipe....

bigguyplanes 11-17-2004 12:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of my "wet" planes, a 1/4 scale cub, a 9ft Anderson Kingfisher,and a 144 in (1/4 scale ) Beaver.

Wayne22 11-17-2004 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something a little different.....Citabria Pro on floats. Flies very nicely!

Goinstraightup 11-17-2004 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My only one at the moment... although I am scoping out Electric seaplanes. Sea Cruiser II from Hangar Designs. Excellent performer.

exeter_acres 11-17-2004 06:40 PM

Nice sidewalk chalk art ;)

Plane is nice too:D

magyarbacsi 11-17-2004 07:13 PM

Does the Sea Cruiser come in an ARF or only as a kit, and who sells them. Nice looking. Does it fly as well as it looks?

Ivalej1 11-17-2004 08:57 PM

wow thats a nice seacruiser. an older man at my club built one. i remember it being very small. like 25 size power. really nice plane

keep the pics coming! :)

Ed_Moorman 11-17-2004 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Sea Cruiser belonging to a buddy and myself. He built it from plans. Thunder Tiger .46 power. Ours is a little heavy so it's not as light feeling in the air as my Sea Monster, but I really like the configuration: Engine pod on the wing instead of the fuselage, sponsons instead of tip floats. It does the prettiest take offs and landings.

JimCasey 11-18-2004 08:41 PM

SeaCruisers are no longer manufactured. the proprietor of Hanger Designs decided to retire. I don't know how long he had been making these, but I remember them in the Tower catalog 20 years ago. Find somebody with one, and beg for plans. It's a sweeeeet-flying plane.

jaka 11-19-2004 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi!
Here is some pictures of my Kyosho PBY Catalina powered by two OS .15 LA engines.
Have flown it for 5 years now. Very easy to fly...flies like a sailplane, slow and gentle.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

TopShelf 11-19-2004 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Sea Monster. The one picture was supposed to be a little closer in but apparently my ability to water taxi while looking through the camera lens leave a bit to be desired. ;)

seaplane 11-19-2004 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple pics of my 8 ft. wing span Beaver I built from Unionville plans. Powered by a 1.20 four stroke with on-board glow. The color scheme is from a Beaver I rode in a couple years ago in Anchorage Alaska.

Ivalej1 11-20-2004 05:33 PM

how do you like your sea monster? i was considering getting one. i was looking at that and the tt seamaster. still up in the air though

Ed_Moorman 11-20-2004 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sea Monster pictures-I got them. Here's mine powered by a Magnum .70 4-stroke, 12-8 prop.

I did put extra color on top of the wing. I don't see white planes very well, especially if there are clouds, and we have clouds in Florida.

magyarbacsi 11-20-2004 07:00 PM

The Mariner and Seamonster have a similar hull in that they both have a v shape bow and while that adds to stability while in the water, I think it produces extra drag. I for one did not like how long it took to get the Mariner off water. The Seamaster on the other hand has a flat bottom and gets up on plane fast, breaks the surface and a slight up will lift it off. Very happy picture. The Mariner took a lot of up elevator while the Seamastr jut a touch, hold it and lift off. Both the Seamaster and Monster have the same wing. Shorter by a couple of inches than the Mariner, but has a wider cord which I think gives it better lift.

If you get the Seamaster, the best price is at Towerhobbies, $200. HobbyPeople have the Monster for $179. just got one a few weeks ago but is still in the box.

I dont know your flying skill, but I used to fly many many yrs ago and have not flown for over 5 yrs. I had trouble with the Mariner (while other have not) getting it off the water and having a decent flight was hit-and-miss. The Semaster, got it up the first time, did several touch-n-gos and had a satisfying day.

retransit 11-20-2004 08:42 PM

How about a picture of the PBY all screwed together, or should I cut and paste?

Bob

smchale 11-29-2004 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an original design of mine, I call the Talon. First had an RJL .61 in it...now it has a ST90...too much really for it, but it's fun. Floats are my own cut out of foam and balsa sheeted...flat bottom too, makes it fun to 'skip' across the water. [8D]
I now live near Philadelphia and do very little float flying, and used to do a lot more float flying back in BC Canada...I really miss it! The great people and the lakes.

crashed2 02-20-2005 09:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Twin Pondmaster, it was my first scratch build. I crashed it before I ever got it on water. This pic is after the rebuild. I swore it was going to fly off water the second time, and it's a blast.
The other is my first attempt at float flying. It is a GWS E-Starter that I scratch built floats for. It didn't do very well with the stock 380 power system, could barely get it off the water once. After I installed a brushless motor with LyPolys, WOW, she just zooms of the water now! (I'm sad to say, the E-Starter is no longer with me though.[&o]) Looking at getting the GWS Beaver to replace it.

Leo 02-20-2005 04:40 PM

Great pictures everyone!

Lots of swedish seaplane pics at:
http://www.azaleo.ath.cx/
/Leo

jpg0529 02-20-2005 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of planes I fly. Both electric. Both Lithium powered.
Aventura Twin - 2 speed 400's - great flyer on water & snow.
Bonnie 20 - Axi 2820/10 - only flown from snow so far.

Joe

HvyDrvr 02-21-2005 01:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, here is my 1/4 scale Byron Husky last summer. In the winter it does double duty on wheel skiis.

Rod

mike50 02-21-2005 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my PBY-2 built from RCM plans. It has two OS .15s and flies beautifully.

britbrat 02-21-2005 04:38 PM

That PBY looks real in a couple of those shots -- nice model & nice pics

Ledet 02-21-2005 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My Telamaster on floats.