Community
Search
Notices
Smart-Fly (Quest Engineering) Support Forum Support forum for all Smart-Fly products. Equalizers, Batshare, Ignition Cutoff, Regulators.

Ignition cut-off question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:18 AM
aaxiss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition cut-off question?

From what I can tell so far I believe I have a bad Transmitter unit but I may also be doing something wrong. I have my ignition set up as follows ... Plugged into gear channel with throws set to 100% both ways. With the receiver coupled via the FO wire the led does not come on when the green light on the transmitter board lights up when I activate my Gear switch. I removed the FO wire from the transmitter board and shined a small penlight across the end of the FO wire and the receiver led came on and went off when the penlight passed over the end.

Is the Transmitter supposed to emit a visible light where the FO connects when the green light is on?, if so then I believe I have a bad transmitter unit and need information on how to obtain a replacement. This unit is brand new just out of the package but purchased from Donald's Hobby center about 2 months ago, I had to put my build on hold till after the holidays

Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Ignition cut-off question?

Make sure the ends of the FO cable are cut square with a sharp razor blade.
I believe you have your ATV set to high. Bring them back till they are at zero then put the gear switch in the position you want for on
and advance the atv toll the led comes on, then flip the switch to the off position and advance the atv till the led goes off, done
Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 AM
rrritchey

Hi Don,
You should have just called us as soon as you thought you had an issue. We would have tried to walk you through some testing or gotten you a new transmitter right away. You cannot see any visible light from the transmitter, it is infrared and out of the visible range. As Larry said, the ends of the fiber-optic cable have to be clean and smooth, cut with a new razor blade or Xacto knife blade. The end should be perfectly round and shinny if the cut is good. If you cannot make this work we will send you a new transmitter. We are at the AMA show right now so sending you a new transmitter will have to wait until Monday, I am really sorry. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:20 PM
aaxiss

Hi, thanks for the replies, I will give Tail strikes Ideas a go, as far as calling ya I would have but I found the problem at about 8pm last night ( about 20 mins after I took it out of the package ) . I made a post on the forums here cause I believed that I was most likely at fault and figured I could get some help that would benefit others as well. There is also the chance as I said that the transmitter may be faulty, which as we all know can happen from time to time also, bad solder joint, faulty transistor etc. anyway I will go give that I try and post here again.

thanks alot for your quick reply

Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 PM
rrritchey

Hi Don,
I believe you bought the unit although the price you were charged ($29.95) does not seem right. I really have not ever seen a transmitter where the green LED came on but the fiber-optic transmitter did not work but there is always a first time. I misunderstood your post, I thought you said you found this was faulty before the holidays and had not contacted me, not that you had just bought it before the holidays and just found out it was bad. Sorry.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:03 AM
aaxiss

The 29.95 item was for the 2 JR 821 servos , look at the number of items and the extended amount. the ICO line is the Ignition Cut Off $54.99 seem about right? no biggie I wasnt sure when I first looked at the 2 line system on that receipt either

But it seems none of that is really necessary as Tail Strikes Post helped me out. I trimmed the end of the cable with a new and very sharp razor blade and " Voila " working as intended.

I would like to thank you both for your speedy replies and help with solving this little problem. And I am sure at some point this post will help someone else out in the future.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:46 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Great it is good to hear you got it going
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 PM
sevans16

FYI for folks. I was doing my setup and could not6 get the red LED to come on even though the green tx light was lighting up. I went back to the plane after reading this post saying there is no visable light coming out of the tx FO socket.

My problem- I did not have the ign circuit switched on during setup. I don't know why. I have set up several other planes with no problems. Just too long of a day I guess!!