Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Zippkits SLR Missle Thunderboat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Zippkits SLR Missle Thunderboat

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 01:45 PM
snake07

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Zippkits SLR Missle Thunderboat

Hi All,

I'm interested in the SLR Missle Thunderboat from Zippkits and ready to pull a trigger but the Ultimate hardware combo kit for this boat is out of stock, I was thinking of getting pieces and put them together but some of them are also out of stock.
Does anyone know or had experience this is temporary situation and it'll be available sometimes or it'll be gone for good ?

Thank you,
The following users liked this post:
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 07:53 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Which parts are out of stock? You could probably get the missing parts from other sources. I would go ahead and order the kit and hardware that is available and start the build process since just about every piece of hardware can be installed easily prior to the deck being installed. I know this since I've been building scale and sport hydroplanes for decades and have never had an issue installing any part at any point of a build
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 09:34 PM
snake07

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Which parts are out of stock? You could probably get the missing parts from other sources. I would go ahead and order the kit and hardware that is available and start the build process since just about every piece of hardware can be installed easily prior to the deck being installed. I know this since I've been building scale and sport hydroplanes for decades and have never had an issue installing any part at any point of a build
Thank you for the advice and you have given me the support to move on, I thought about getting missing parts from other sources but kind of risky for me since this is the 1st time I build the boat and didn't want to risk spending the time and money on a project may not be completed due to missing parts. I'll go ahead and order the kit and hardware are available. I'll be off from work for 2 weeks during X-mas and new year and really want to take advantage of this time spending on building the boat. I'm in the midwest and it's cold from now untill March - April next year so I'll have a lot of time to build it anyway, I'll wait until it's getting warmer to paint anyway so taking advantage of these months to get the boat ready......
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 02:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Trust me, building the boats isn't really that hard. Just take your time, follow the directions and have a few hand tools ready. I built my first boat(a 30" Dumas Pay'N Pak kit) in a barracks at a Navy training base back in 1982 using only a small set of Exacto knives, four small "C" clamps and a wood block wrapped with sand paper for tools. I learned several things building that and several more recent boats:
  • Use a quality epoxy. The hobby shop types won't cut it as they don't have the strength to hold plywood bent around compound curves
  • Superglue is only good for tacking parts together, not structural joints
  • Have/use plenty of clamps and tape to hold the parts together while waiting for the epoxy to fully cure. Regardless of what the epoxy container says, plan on leaving the parts clamped/taped for no less than 24 hours. The time listed on the package is not a full cure time, it's a hardening time. I use West Systems Epoxy products and it takes, depending on the conditions it's used in, no less than 24 hours to cure.
  • If the boat kit directions calls for a jig to build it, use one. It will help keep the framework square and that will make your boat a better runner when done.
Something else you could do is go through this thread:
Re-Engineering A Dumas Pay'N Pak - RCU Forums (rcuniverse.com)
It goes through many of the things you will need to do to build your kit. It also goes over things you would need to think about when it comes to setting up the hull and installing the systems that will go into it.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-31-2021 at 05:17 PM.
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 06:25 AM
snake07

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Trust me, building the boats isn't really that hard. Just take your time, follow the directions and have a few hand tools ready. I built my first boat(a 30" Dumas Pay'N Pak kit) in a barracks at a Navy training base back in 1982 using only a small set of Exacto knives, four small "C" clamps and a wood block wrapped with sand paper for tools. I learned several things building that and several more recent boats:
  • Use a quality epoxy. The hobby shop types won't cut it as they don't have the strength to hold plywood bent around compound curves
  • Superglue is only good for tacking parts together, not structural joints
  • Have/use plenty of clamps and tape to hold the parts together while waiting for the epoxy to fully cure. Regardless of what the epoxy container says, plan on leaving the parts clamped/taped for no less than 24 hours. The time listed on the package is not a full cure time, it's a hardening time. I use West Systems Epoxy products and it takes, depending on the conditions it's used in, no less than 24 hours to cure.
  • If the boat kit directions calls for a jig to build it, use one. It will help keep the framework square and that will make your boat a better runner when done.
Something else you could do is go through this thread:
Re-Engineering A Dumas Pay'N Pak - RCU Forums (rcuniverse.com)
It goes through many of the things you will need to do to build your kit. It also goes over things you would need to think about when it comes to setting up the hull and installing the systems that will go into it.
Thank you for all the details advice, I take notes and use them for my build, besides reading the manual over and over, I've been looking on youtube for someone post all the build details and learn from there before building it, minimize as many mistakes as possible.
I'm planning to buy Epoxy, Resin from Zippkits, the boat kit called out for a jig and I'm not sure if it comes with the kit or I have to make myself ? will have to see if it comes with the kit and it if it does not then I'll make one.

AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 01:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

If the hardware is out of stock you can still build the boat then have Joe send it to you when it arrives.
AMXer (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 10:49 AM
AMXer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I to ordered the SLR from Zipp and followed the list of hardware needed, I ordered each part one by one and marked them off. Finding the Rudder assembly and Strut are 2 I ordered else where.
This is my 1st build as well. I just got started by getting the jig Board thought out.
I think I have read the instructions 3 hundred times all the way through, It is great that Zippkit's provided the instructions But compared to a lot of builds they show the jig build bottom up. Regardless I found Lots of great videos, and threads that show the process. I will be watching for your progress, good Luck, and have fun right. I believe there are great artisans here who will be more than happy to help answer Q moving forward. I hope.