Go Back  RCU Forums > TEAM RCU > TEAM RCU - Mike McConville
Reload this Page >

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Community
Search
Notices
TEAM RCU - Mike McConville Ask expert Team RCU pilot Mike McConville questions in this forum.

NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW Hangar 9 85cc SU-26MM Sukhoi

Try moving the CG forward 1/4". I think its a little tailheavy
Old 04-18-2008, 10:04 AM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Mike,

My kit is missing 2 wing bolts. (The longer one at the front of the wing). However I am unable to find the parts number for the bolts on horizon website. Can you help? I have some here but they are not long enough.

I am screw.

Thanks a bunch
Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM
MMcConville

HAN320

Bad news is it looks like they are out of stock. Call or Producr Support people and they should be able to find some. They are also used in the Hangar 9 F-22 PTS so tell them that, it may help.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM
ghostrider168

Mike,

I love this plane. However, everywhere I look, they are out of stock. When do you think you have it in stock again.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
MMcConville

Should have more in stock by the end of the month (April)
Old 04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
bsipro

Hey mike
Thanks for the Info,
I did sand the wing tube sockets - they fit nice now . cowl is on order. I asked about the Pro links becouse the review in Model Airplane news stated Ti.
no big deal.
It looks like I will be in the air on sunday. real nice plane.
here is a picture of the Hacker A100 mounted
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33971.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	932303  
Old 04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
bjamesjr
My Feedback: (2)

Something else you want to look at and fix is the pilot it comes with. Mine spit the head off the body of the pilot today inside the canopy. there is no glue but what looks like two 4-40 bolts into blind nuts which bolt from the base up into the head. Mine pulled the bolts clean through the base of the body.

I can easily fix it by cutting the hole in the back of the hatch just a tad bigger so I can get the head out (and my hand in there), remove the bolts from the head, sand the base of the pilot where the head attaches to the body and epoxy the head back on

I would suggest before you install it, that you turn the pilot upside down, look up inside and remove the bolts which will allow the head to come off. Then sand the edge of the base and head, use a little epoxy on both pieces, stick the head back on the body and re-attach the bolts. You could probably use thick CA as well. The head is very thin at this point so CA might actually melt this area
Old 04-19-2008, 05:27 PM
iflyrcmodels
My Feedback: (10)

Hey Mike, Funds are a little short but I have a Quadra 100, 98cc, on the shelf. Its pretty light for its size. How do you think that combo would wrk out?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:13 PM
bsipro

Hey Mike,

I maiden the SUK,
It came in at 23.5lb. with No spinner call it 24lb. with spinner. (that is with 4 12s Li-Po's)
I have all the throws set, CG is @ 7"5/8

12s power was unlimited not much more than 3/4 thottle.
50.2 max volts / 117 amps /5,873 watt's / 244 per LB

10s power was more scale type flying
42 max volts / 98 amps / 4,116 watt's / 171 per LB

the plane few great even in 10mph gust of wind, it tracked nice uplines were straight (the wind was blowing me side ways) It did not need much triming, it slowed down real slow, and landing were smooth even in a cross wind.
I got 2-4min,. flights in. Im charging the batterys now so I will post mAh used.
I need a calm day to really see what it can do.
sorry no pictiures I brought the camera but forgot the memory card .
I'm not going to use a spinner look's real good with out it

THANKS the plane is everything that you said it would be.

It's a keeper / selling the Yak (ha!)
Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 PM
rc3dflyr

Anyone had any problems with the engine getting hot? Has anyone put baffels in the front of the cowell to improove cooling efficiancy? I was thinking of installing a thin ply ring in the inside front of the cowell with an opening only in front of the cylinder head like they do on QQ aircraft planes. Is this necessary? I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks rc3dflyr
Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 PM
bjamesjr

Mine has been perfectly fine temp wise. It's basically built exactly as shown in the book with a couple exceptions. Instead of cutting the stringers out for the hole below the can, I just removed the covering and left the stringers in for some strength and I went with Li-ION's all around and one Smart-Fly SuperReg with 2 JR leads to the receiver and a Smart-Fly 5.2V ignition reg, probably saved 6 to 8 ounce in battery weight
Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc3dflyr

Anyone had any problems with the engine getting hot? Has anyone put baffels in the front of the cowell to improove cooling efficiancy? I was thinking of installing a thin ply ring in the inside front of the cowell with an opening only in front of the cylinder head like they do on QQ aircraft planes. Is this necessary? I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks rc3dflyr

You mean like this?

I made it, but have yet to figure out a way to mount it, get it centered and stay there and not have glue all over the front of it.

It's aircraft light ply with black ultracote.

Name:	Om33251.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	936538  
Old 04-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Andrew_S
My Feedback: (12)

I flew mine finally. With the 2 battery packs under the canopy, the ignition pack on the engine firewall, and a zdz80 in the nose, it still seems nose heavy. It flies great though, no coupling when knife edging, doesn't have any bad stall tendencies...I just prefer my birds to be a little on the tailheavy side...I haven't noticed any overheating. I have the bottom back of the cowl open around the pitts muffler and probably a 3 inch hole under the cylinder head. I did cut out the louvers in the cowl, not sure if it really makes a difference in cooling, but it looks cool.....

Name:	Ec88096.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	937089  
Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cutting out the louvres in the cowl will make a massive difference to the amount of air sucked out of the inside, the raised lip in front of the louvre creates a negative presure behind it and therefore in effect almost doubles the amount of air extracted for the area of the opening, each subcequent louvre doubles the effect from the one in front, to be rearly effective obviously the air comming in has to be directed through the fins and around the cylinder head otherwise you will get a stagnant area in between the fins.

Mike
Old 05-01-2008, 02:37 PM
rc3dflyr

I Flew my sukhoi for the first time this last weekend. My experiance was not that great! I fired up the engine did a final controll check then took off the new bird. I climbed out added one click of down elevator 1 click of right aileron and she seemed to be tracking very well. I performed a couple loops, cubin eights, snap rolls, stall turns ect. I made a pass and did a four point roll and after the roll heard what sounded to be flutter coming from a control surface so i imediatly shut down the engine and brought the sukhoi in for a landing. When I taxied back I noticed one of the ailerons was drooping about one inch. Sure enough the left aileron control horn had broken loose inside the covering where it was butt glued to the aileron leading edge. The control horn is set in a balsa block about 2" long that is just glued to the front of the aileron with no other support,the wood used for the control support block was very soft balsa. I called Horizon and they are sending a new set of wing panels out along with a call tag to pick up the old ones. Anyone that has one of these birds I would advise checking the control horn on the aileron by holding it and putting pressure for and aft,you can see the block flexing under the covering. On my new panels I am thinking of opening up the covering and adding some wood and bracing to eliminate the flex at this point. I will keep you updated.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:50 AM
RICK9303
My Feedback: (172)

After reading what happened to rc3dflyr, I took a look at the aileron control horn, on the kit I just got, it has flexed too. All I can say, as I have waited a long time for the plane, I decided not to send back the wings. I believe I've fixed the problem, with additional wood. I'm just posting this, that everyone will check the aileron conrol rod for flex, and decide yourself, if you want to try another pair of wings, or fix it yourself. The kit is top notch, other than this problem, and this may be a production oversite on some kits.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: bsipro

Hey Mike,

I maiden the SUK,
It came in at 23.5lb. with No spinner call it 24lb. with spinner. (that is with 4 12s Li-Po's)
I have all the throws set, CG is @ 7"5/8

12s power was unlimited not much more than 3/4 thottle.
50.2 max volts / 117 amps /5,873 watt's / 244 per LB

10s power was more scale type flying
42 max volts / 98 amps / 4,116 watt's / 171 per LB

bsipro

Could you tell me what size prop are you using? and do you know what revs you are getting with that combo, I want to compare it too my Pletenberg which I am installing in my Composite Extra.

Mike
Old 05-10-2008, 08:39 PM
jjcavins

Just started looking at this plane to buy. I am new to giant scale and I noticed there is only 1 servo for each aileron. Should this be something to worry about? Seems like 2 per aileron would be worth much more than the cost...

Anyone?

Thanks
JJ
Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Andrew_S

My hanger 9 1/3 sca;e cap 232 had 2 in each wing.....As long as u use a high torque digital servo, 1 will be ok. I haven't had any problems using 1 for each aileron. I'm using the hitec 5645 digitals in mine..
Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 AM
RCWI

HI. ther i have a buddy that came of a trainer, and went to a 81" piper cub. He wants to go full 3D. Do you think this is a good (next-step) plane for him or the H9 edge 540? Would be using a DA 100 on eather one he got?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 AM
bjamesjr

In the long run, the Sukhoi would be cheaper. The two big differences would be the cost of the engine and the number of servos needed. Personally I would not do this plane just coming off a trainer and a Cub, while certain skills are needed to handle the Cub and this plane 3D's well, he would be better off going with something along the lines of the Twist or something similiar until he gets expereince.

Doing everything by the manual, the cost of this plane would be around to $2000.00US and you certainly do not want to skimp on anything, especially for 3D. That would be a lot of cash to toss down the drain on a first 3D machine. While learning 3D you can count on crashing a few times.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 AM
bjamesjr

ORIGINAL: jjcavins

Just started looking at this plane to buy. I am new to giant scale and I noticed there is only 1 servo for each aileron. Should this be something to worry about? Seems like 2 per aileron would be worth much more than the cost...

Anyone?

Thanks
JJ

No, nothing to worry about. I'm using 8611's on everything except the rudder which is using a 8711 and I have no issues at all. The new breed of 85cc planes are all pretty much single servo and I think Aeroworks has or is coming out with a 100cc single servo wing, besides the weight of the plane is roughly 22lbs with the canister exhaust and the size of the ailerons just do not require it. Granted the ailerons are a decent size but I've seen way bigger on planes with single servos, the 85cc Aerworks Yak and Extra's come to mind
Old 05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
FRC5

I agree with bjamesjr...but I think he means $2000.00US Wife dollars . It's going to cost more like $3000.00 to build the Sukhoi unless you have special connections.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
FRC5

ORIGINAL: rc3dflyr

I Flew my sukhoi for the first time this last weekend. My experiance was not that great! I fired up the engine did a final controll check then took off the new bird. I climbed out added one click of down elevator 1 click of right aileron and she seemed to be tracking very well. I performed a couple loops, cubin eights, snap rolls, stall turns ect. I made a pass and did a four point roll and after the roll heard what sounded to be flutter coming from a control surface so i imediatly shut down the engine and brought the sukhoi in for a landing. When I taxied back I noticed one of the ailerons was drooping about one inch. Sure enough the left aileron control horn had broken loose inside the covering where it was butt glued to the aileron leading edge. The control horn is set in a balsa block about 2" long that is just glued to the front of the aileron with no other support,the wood used for the control support block was very soft balsa. I called Horizon and they are sending a new set of wing panels out along with a call tag to pick up the old ones. Anyone that has one of these birds I would advise checking the control horn on the aileron by holding it and putting pressure for and aft,you can see the block flexing under the covering. On my new panels I am thinking of opening up the covering and adding some wood and bracing to eliminate the flex at this point. I will keep you updated.

Hey rc3dflyr,

Thanks for the heads up on this...
I checked mine out today and it also flexes to much. I'm going to do the repairs myself as well.

Thanks again

Old 05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
RCWI

Just found out today he already bought the Sukhoi, and i have a really bad feeling about what you said with it being his first 3D. I have had a few myself and have seen first hand how losing control of a $500 plane can make one feel, much less a 3K one. Just dont know wat advice to give him with learning 3D on this plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.