Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

1:10 "Blue Streak" Monster Truck & Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 AM
KE4QPF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Posted February 16, 2009 07:33 PM

Originally posted by yaleforscale:
very cool don , i would have to agree about the cutting up of these r/c it seems every one is hel bent on chopping the hell out of these thing,s not good , if you need to cut marke out first and please please use a dremmel tool if you dont have one get one ,, much neater job .. ..
Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 AM
KE4QPF

Default RE: 1:10 "Blue Streak" MAX Electric Truck & 1:10 Aflac "Monster Tires" Car

Posted February 16, 2009 07:40 PM

Finally, I got the link in there right. Anyway, I hate seeing people take things that took some level of time to get painstakingly correct, then tearing them all to hell. I've spent hours of time just trying to keep from totally destroying this truck. Even if it means I have to spend more money in the long run, it has kept its original shape and look. Could I have said 'screw the MAX plates on the sides since they block the shocks as is'??? Sure! Could I have said, 'spring shocks are fine... if it breaks I'll get a new truck'??? Sure! Did I though??? NO!!!
Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 16, 2009 07:49 PM

Originally posted by THErcnoobie:
i agree with NAT. always use a dremel so that it doesnt look like you cut up the body with a pair if bolt cutters. but dont chop it up so much to the point that it doesnt look right. i rather crawl with no body over choping up a perfect good looking rare body with a hot exzacto knife .
Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 18, 2009 06:08 PM

OK guys... I'm looking to put some super lubrication into the gears on this thing, and also on the bearings. I was wondering what your take was on this stuff...

...I used it on my plastic porta-tool chest and it worked great (no squeaks on the wheel bearings, but it smells like turpentine fumes now) ...

...any ideas on if this stuff would go good on the truck? It says it's plastic safe, so I'm taking their word on it. Does anyone have any experience with Silicone spray compound?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:50 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 18, 2009 06:14 PM

hi don , well it looks great and all but this is much like the wd40 release oil we use over here it will wear of pretty quick on gears ,, . if you whant the real deal there is only one here it is ..tamiya r/c anti wear greas its not to thick so there is no dragg but stays on the drive line for a long time .. http://www.tamiyausa.com/produ...php?product-id=53439
Old 03-28-2009, 01:51 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 18, 2009 06:42 PM

Not quite sure about the WD40 comparison... here's a shot of some on a metal electrical box on the side of my house...

It is a tad on the thin side so it can be propelled out of the can as a spray, but I tried WD40 on the toolbox and had worse results than with this stuff, so this must stay around a bit longer than WD40??? It seemed that the WD40 just ran out instead of coating/clinging onto everything like this stuff did. Also, WD40 is not really good for plastics as it has some of those harsh compounds found in spray paint.

So basically, Nat, you've seen this stuff before and it's not going to make it for the long haul then?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:52 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 18, 2009 06:53 PM

RE: The Duck Truck...

Looks like someone beat me to the 1:1 Scale!!!

Guess I'll have to settle for the 1:10 Scale.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:53 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 03:34 AM

hi don yes your right about the wd40 it is thinner , , that stuff you showed looks like it will lube a little better , its up to you , but i can only tell you what i use , and have for a long time with no problems , thanks don .
Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 10:15 PM

Well Nat, it looks like I'll have to order that stuff as, although, my local hobby store carries Tamiya items, this isn't one of them. Not very good for them, nor me. So I'll give this silicone crap a try, and if it doesn't hold up, I'll place an order. As you know, I haven't had that great of luck ordering things through this hobby shop, so I might just have to go on eBay or to another store online.

Before I do this, I have to know, will this effect the Tamiya grease adversely??? If so, I won't do this mod. I don't want the 2 to have a chemical reaction to one another.

One thing I ordered DID come in today... have a look... I added some reflectors to it so REAL cars won't hit it at night...

Yes, I had to try it. Yes, it did a wheel stand when it landed because I stayed on the throttle. I still have to figure out that "soft landing" to take it out of the wheel stand though. I had one of the front shocks back the nut off despite gluing the hell out of it to keep it from backing off. I guess I'll learn someday!?!? I think I'll double nut the *******s now instead of relying on the glue or LocTite.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:55 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:06 PM

glad to hear you got your ramp in. bout time,lol. make a video when you have some spare time. good thing you put reflectors on it, dont want cars attempting to jump of it and fliping over. where you tightened your nut you should put one of those washers/spacers that go inbetween that prevent it from getting loose if its not to big for the screw.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:57 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:08 PM

I don't think it's that so much as the screws aren't long enough on the front end. I'm using 5/8", but probably should be using 3/4" or 1". It's a real sandwich operation... check the pics on page 10. I think a bag of lock nuts is in order to nip this issue in the bud. This is the second time it's happened on the front end.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:58 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:15 PM

ah, i say epoxy the **** out of it. that is if you dont need to remove that bolt sometime later on in the future.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:59 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:19 PM

ah, i say epoxy the **** out of it. that is if you dont need to remove that bolt sometime later on in the future.
[/quote]

You see, that is really an unknown. I think some of those vinyl lock nuts should do the job. Once they lock on, they're a b!+¢ʜ to get off. I don't want to moe to longer screws/bolts or else it will crack the plastic all to hell should a similar force blow things apart.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:00 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:26 PM

yeah, those should work out.hope you solve your problem so you can get back to launching off your ramp .
Old 03-28-2009, 02:01 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:28 PM

you said you dont have such a soft landing? am i correct? if i am i personaly think you dont land to softly because your wheel base is a bit to small and the tires are close together. if you can spread your tires apart just a little little little bit you will be pleased with the landing.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:03 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:33 PM

It's not the wheel base, it flexes outward when the thing lands with the shocks mounted at an angle. Check the video I posted on February 07, 2009 @ 08:47 PM ET. My problem is not backing off the throttle properly to plant it back on the ground. That's why I said I was slamming it into the pavement. My dumb *** needs to learn to slowly let out of the throttle instead of quickly cutting the juice. It's like instant down in that aspect. I'm not used to pulling out of wheel stands as I haven't done it before tonight.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:04 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:49 PM

oh, that explains alot more. i thought you said your wheels would not flex out all the way.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:05 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:54 PM

No, the shocks work amazingly well in their positions. I just need some experience in driving this thing. I wish my steering servo were a bit more powerful though. The speed it's reaching now is making it sluggish in steering at top speeeds. Maybe removal of the 'return-to-center' spring is in order or maybe finding one with less tension???
Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 19, 2009 11:58 PM

Originally posted by KE4QPF:
No, the shocks work amazingly well in their positions. I just need some experience in driving this thing. I wish my steering servo were a bit more powerful though. The speed it's reaching now is making it sluggish in steering at top speeeds. Maybe removal of the 'return-to-center' spring is in order or maybe finding one with less tension???
not to sure about removing that piece. when you do whichever direction you move the wheels in it stays in. it nearly imposssible to go in a straight line when removed. so i say stay with it or kinda modify it to be softer on the steering.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 20, 2009 04:32 AM

hi don i understand with the lube ,you should be ok with the tamiya even if you apply this stuff , good to see you got your ramps there very cool and good idea with the reflective strips . i understand the problems with these servo ,all these models suffer the same problem . including the 1/6 scale .rcnoobie is right when the centre spring is removed you have a hard time steering in a straight line .its ok on the rockcrawlers because they do not move at speed , the real soloution to this problem is of course hobby grade , but a weaker return to centre , should give the servo more steering force , if you can not find a replacment , try heating this spring up a little , it destroys some of it force , i have done this on shock springs that were to stiff rather than cutting coils , as long as you dont get the spring red hot it. seems to work ok, thanks don ,
Old 03-28-2009, 02:09 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 20, 2009 07:45 PM

Well, I went in and had a field day with the truck and spent over an hour on it when I got home tonight. I replaced the inside frame nuts for the shocks with those vinyl lock nuts I talked about earlier. Now, there's no way those friggin' things will fall off!!! I disassembled the motor box from the gear box on the servo and sprayed the living **** out of the gears... things seem to be running much better now. Which led me to the rear end and that gear box for the drive train. I made the following mod under the cow catcher/fork which allows me to lube this area without having to take everything apart thus having all the gears fall out of place on me...

Since this is under the cow catcher, there's no way something can come up and smash the gears as this area is protected by the cow catcher/fork. Just stick the straw from the spray can, or the nose of the lube tube in there and have a field day. JUST MAKE SURE YOU DON'T FORCE THE BIT ALL THE WAY THROUGH OR DIRE CONSEQUENCES WILL RESULT!!! I purposely put the hole THERE for the reasons above, and chose that location as no gear rests in that place on this model. MAKE SURE ON YOUR MODEL THAT YOU CHECK BEFORE TAPPING THIS HOLE BY TAKING EVERYTHING APART!!! You WILL be sorry if you don't!!!

Hope you like the idea. Nothing grinds, and this thing now has the balls to rip through gravel and other things it couldn't before. High grass is still a problem, and probably always will be without a torque motor. But I have to tell you, nothing seems like it has any friction and the motor is not effected in any way by doing this mod as the lube is dielectric and the motor is more or less sealed in the can.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 20, 2009 07:49 PM

nice job. i would make this mod but i have to open mine up because i buy lube in a plastic pack. nice mod, very samrt mod that save time.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:11 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 20, 2009 07:52 PM

Originally posted by texx:
This idea is very good ..
Small hole, to lubricate the internal diff ..

WOW ..KE4QPF You are a champion ..
Old 03-28-2009, 02:13 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 20, 2009 07:54 PM

I just kept spraying that silicone crap in until it started coming out of the hole. Wanted to make sure things were lubed all the way out to where the axles shoot out of that black plastic to the tires as there's some plastic bushings out at the ends. I do recommend if you do this senseless act, as I did, that you do it over newspaper because it will run out all over hell and creation when you turn the rig right side up again. This is a lot better than that crappy light machine oil NB put in there.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:14 AM
KE4QPF

Posted February 20, 2009 08:02 PM

I also thought of another good reason for this hole. Should you get any water in the differential, this will be an easy way to drain it out. To keep the water from getting back in, you can cap the hole with a rubber pencil eraser, silicone hole plug, some of that make a gasket crap for your car sold by Permatex, etc. Anyone know if sealing this thing up like a car differential and filling it with this silicone lube would help or hurt???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.