Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx Troubleshooting Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 PM
cardgabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Maxx Troubleshooting Thread

Thanks for the info Gullwing. Actually, my sister's fiance is giving me his A-arms and turnbuckles from his Tmaxx 3.3. He paid some ungodly amount for titanium a-arms and said I can have his old ones. This will be the same thing as a wide maxx conversion i think. Also... now that I spent $250 on the OS18TM and the 2.5conversion, I have to wait on new wheels and tires. LoL For now, its stock rims and tires. By the way.. will my drive shafts and stuff hold up to this new found power?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Gullwing72

Mine have so far, and my maxx will not hardly take off on all four wheels everytime it's straight up in the front......LOL I would put a wheelie bar on it but I think they look cheesy and it would not hold up to the jumps that I pull off. The only things I have broken on mine (and I am hard on it) is one A frame, and a fuel tank. A frames are now RPM. The easy way to beef up your maxx is that anytime something breaks upgrade. Spend the little extra money and go RPM.......GW
Old 03-10-2006, 12:40 AM
cardgabe

I have RPM a arms on the front of my maxx... since those are the only arms I've ever broken. Actually, I broke the front lower RPM a arms my first time out with them. I understand RPM has some sort of guarantee though too, so I might send them in to get new ones. I just put in aluminum bulkheads, because I broke THREE bulkheads at the skatepark last time I was there. Sometime next week my os18tm will come in the mail... that will be exciting to say the least. For now... I have to locate screws to attatch my new bulkheads. LoL They're on the way too. I can't wait to give everyone feedback on this motor when it comes. Assuming its broke in by then... next weekend I will race my friends 3.3maxx... once and for all we'll see who is faster! I have a feeling he is.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Gullwing72

Don't sell the OS short. It is a fast engine with alot of torque, and while he is over there tuning his 3.3 in for the fourth time in an hour you will still being running back and forth by him.LOL These 18 TM's are awsome I can run mine all day on a single tune. It will stand up and flip over backwards on pavement. In fact sometimes it kind of gets on my nerves not being able to take off at WOT but hey all my buds are in my dust by half throttle so that brings the smile back to my face..........Good luck and let me know how it goes........GW
Old 03-10-2006, 07:08 PM
knifer

I installed a hump pack yesterday and now my servo are all twitching its never the same one. did it put to much power to them?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Gullwing72

How many volts?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 PM
knifer

1400 mAh NiMh STD

5 cell humppack

I didnt buy a harness I soldered the wires to my battery pack wire

its this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKKF2&P=ML

This is the 5 Cell NiMH 6.0V 1400mah Hump Battery Pack by Ofna.

FEATURES: MDP AE cells in blue shrink wrap
6" (152mm) lead with universal connector

INCLUDES: One battery pack

REQUIRES: Charging battery: Slow 120mAh (.12 amps) for 14hrs
Fast 1200mAh (1.2amps) for 1hrs

SPECS: Length: 2-1/4" (57mm)
Width: 1" (26mm)
Height: 1-1/8" (29mm)

Old 03-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Gullwing72

Well you running 6 volts just like before. That is the pack I was going to use on mine. I really don't know what to tell you on this one. It should be working fine. I do know if you use rechargeable packs you should get a failsafe. Have you tried to use the regular batteries back in it? If so did it go back to normal? Maybe one of these other guys have more knowledge on this. By all rights it should be working........GW....
Old 03-10-2006, 07:43 PM
knifer

I'd have to cut the wires I didnt use a harness I just soldered the wires to the battery pack wires
Old 03-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Gullwing72

did you get a good hot solder joint. Turn on the TX and then the RX and wiggle the wires where you soldered them and see if it makes the servos jump......GW
Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 PM
knifer

seems good and tight the splices do are good , I wonder if when i cleaned it yesterday did something, I cleaned it with denatured alcohol
Old 03-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Gullwing72

If it were just one servo jumping I would say it is possible but if it is all of them then the only thing I can think of is checking the RX and make sure is it dry and clean. Other than that I am out of ideas I am sure someone has had this happen before or has more knowledge. I am still new to the truck think myself although I have had almost 2 years of airplane time. I have found they are not that different when it comes to RX and servos. Sorry I am not more help. If you find the source of the problem from some other place then here let my know what it was. I am still wanting to go to a Nicd pack on mine I hate alkaline batteries.....GW
Old 03-10-2006, 09:33 PM
knifer

ok heres what i found out

the gears are slipping in the servo they dont look striped but must be worn down enough to make them slip maybe because i put the hump pack on and it gave it enough juice. those gears are awful weak looking.

can i get a better servo or geafrs?
Old 03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Gullwing72

I don't know about the reverse servo or throttle servo but I use Hitec HS-645MG servos for steering in all my maxx's. They work great. The metal gears really hold up under pressure, and they are about 40 bucks at Tower Hobby .......GW
Old 03-12-2006, 06:24 AM
cardgabe

Hey everyone. Although I have my OS18TM on its way, I'd like to keep my Pro .15 in good running condition (just in case). Lately there's been a really thick, dark oil coming out between the back of the engine and the ez start. Would this be a bad bearing in the back of the motor or something? Or does the ez drive unit have some sort of oil in it that sprung a leak? It looks like dirty differential fluid from a full size car or something. I'm pretty sure it's coming from where the ez start is mounted on the engine.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 PM
cardgabe

Well... I think I need a pullstart. The "ground" wire came out of my ez start unit today so it won't heat my glowplug. I might fix it, but I'm done with those hassles! I do have a question though, my tmaxx is making a clicking noise when I am on the brakes hard. Any ideas of what this could be?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
cooltruck64

i am having trouble with my t-maxx. for some reason its not shifting into second and its running like crap do you think maybe it could be the glow plug that needs replaced? please help!! i have leaned it and richend it and i just dont know what to do
Old 03-12-2006, 09:47 PM
cardgabe

Cooltruck... I'm kinda new to nitro, but mine has run kinda bad before from a bad glow plug. Also, mine has run bad, then the next day I started it and it ran great. Just make sure you start out a little bit too rich, then in 1/8th turn increments, lean it out. In between each adjustment, make sure you make a couple of high speed passes. I'm not an expert... but for tuning, thats what I have to do. I have a Pro .15 at the current time though... not a 2.5 or 3.3. Also, get a temperature gun to see how hot you're running... that helps a lot with tuning.

Now for my question, is there some sort of household material that I could make a new exhaust gasket out of? Or should my LHS just carry one for my Pro .15? Mine was leaking oil everywhere... turns out the gasket was all torn up and my exhaust was coming loose. I wanna keep my .15 in good running condition, even though my OS.18TM will be here tomorrow or Tuesday. hehehe Also, my brake is making a clicking noise when I brake hard... what would cause this? I hope its not gears clicking in my transmission and slipping. Yikes!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:25 PM
cooltruck64

im sure your local hobby shop would carry a gasket, do u know of any good pipes for a tmaxx 2.5, im pretty new into this stuff, i wish i could answer your other questions but im sure your guess is as good as mine! i think i will buy a glow plug tomorrow and see if it helps any. thanks for the advice! do u know any bigger motors that would work on a tmaxx???
Old 03-12-2006, 10:42 PM
Gullwing72

I am useing a THS racing pipe on mine, and I am running the OS .18 TM sounds cool and seems to open the engine up good. Just get the one for the 2.5 it works on both engine sense the OS is a direct drop-in......GW
Old 03-13-2006, 08:20 AM
cardgabe

Yeah, I have an OS .18TM on order right now. It should be here today or tomorrow. I'm pretty excited for that!!! Unfortunately its rainy and cold here ALL week this week. It was 70 this weekend and today its like 35 and rainy!!!!! And its getting colder, so it may be a lil bit before I break in my OS. Oh well, it'll be nice to stare at in there.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:34 PM
bdd012

cardgabe no doubt you will be happy with the OS, you made an EXCELLENT choice, i can never stress enough how much i love my OS. but anyway i got another problem. when mine flips in the air, like a barrell roll, it stalls, its just a quick roll, lands on its wheels but it stalls mid air. when you go over to start it however it does start right back up. any ideas what it could be?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:22 PM
giffordjh

Ok here is an update!

from the following post:

OOOOOOPPPPPS

Instead of beraking in my new 3.3, I just broke it! LOL

I think the piston rod broke.

I was on the 5th tank on fuel and the truck was about 30 feet away from me running at WOT and KINK! No run no more.
It was a loud kink metal sound right before it stoped running. I pulled the glow plug and the piston was at TDC and when I turned the fly wheel the piston didnt move. (aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh). I felt very sad at that moment.

Anyway I went back to my LHS and they told me to send it in to Traxxas.
Its all in there hands now. Only had the truck for two days, only ran it to the 5th tank.
My LHS thinks that the will put a new engine in it for free, I hope so cause I was following the recomended break in to a T.
I am used to old school letting it idle rich for the first few tanks but the new enginges are recomending a new break in procedure.
I dunno, I just hope Traxxas stands behind their product and fixes my problem.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

I just called traxxas and they said that they fixed my truck and to call tomarrow for a tracking number because it will be going ou by fedex ground tomarrow!

Yeah!! I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas I love Traxxas
Old 03-13-2006, 11:54 PM
cardgabe

Redneck, I'm not sure why your truck would stall so easily during a flip. With my Pro .15 that I currently have (haven't installed the os18tm yet) it will land upside down and run for a lil while. I hope you find the answer to that problem!

I should be installing my OS this week. I have to install my 2.5 conversion kit also... and my drill is at my brothers house so I have to get that before I can drill holes for the new bellcrank for the slide carb. Also I'm waiting on a screw kit, which should be here ANY day now. THen I can put the rear end back on and start installing the engine. I'm so excited. Hopefully I can break it in this weekend and run with my sister's fiance's 3.3! He's already expressed that he will go big block if i start beating him! LoL
Old 03-16-2006, 07:06 PM
maxximum.15

I have a tmaxx with a trx 15 and i was driving it the other day and it was fine then i had school for a week and now it wont start ive changed glowplugs batteries in glowstarter new gas every thing its sounds like its not firing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.