Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx Troubleshooting Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:12 PM
cardgabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-Maxx Troubleshooting Thread

How do I know which shaft to use? If I go to my LHS to look at engines, what do I ask for? I just need a .18 with a short shaft?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Gullwing72

The OS .18 TM is so easy to install as you take out the 2.5 all you have to reverse the installation. It is the same engine on the outside. Everything goes on just like comes off. I had never done an engine swap before and it took 15 or 20 min. tops and that is with upgrading my clutch. the box says in a white circle"Maxx 18TM w/11k carb & Tmaxx Manifold" Part number (11930).......GW
Old 03-02-2006, 12:49 AM
cardgabe

Gullwing,
The .18TM is a direct drop in for the 2.5 maxx, I have the earlier version with the Pro .15 engine. I think I would need the 2.5 engine conversion kit plut the .18TM. I guess that is an option also though. I'm looking for an engine to help me keep up with my sister's fiance's new 3.3 Tmaxx. What is the difference in the .18TM and the one in the links on the previous page of this thread?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM
Gullwing72

I really don't know what the difference is to be honest. I would upgrade the chassis too though. It will handle better......GW
Old 03-03-2006, 02:10 PM
cardgabe

Ahhh, I have a question about tuning. I've read a lot about how to get it tuned correctly and mine seems to be running great. I have the Pro .15 as many of you know and its taking off and shifting just right, good temp, good blue smoke... but when I run wide open, then let off the throttle, sometimes it revs up a little bit still. Does this mean it's slightly too rich? Or is this the low speed needle?

Other than that, its running great. I just wish I could keep my exhaust deflector on. It keeps falling off the stinger and I end up with a bunch of oil inside the rear of my body! Also, I need to reconnect my muffler to the exhaust manifold... it sprayed some oil out where it's connected onto my air filter! Maybe my zip ties weren't tight enough? Sorry to ramble so much, I'll stop now.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:15 PM
cardgabe

Well, I found out when you combine a couple of TMaxxes, a skate park, and two guys who love big air... things break! A friend of mine got the new 3.3 TMaxx and I have my old Pro .15 TMaxx. We both got some sweet air... but only a few times before major breakage! I was prepared to take bashing pics and midflight pics, but we crashed too quickly. The 3.3 Maxx is FAST though. Here's the damage...

3.3 TMaxx - Two rear broken bulkheads, shock tower, 4 shocks with blown caps and 4 seriously scraped body posts.
Pro .15 TMaxx - all I broke was 3 bulkheads, and still got one more jump out of it.

Now... I need to find an engine to keep up with the 3.3! How big of a difference is there in the OS .18TM and OS .18CV-RX? There's a $90 price difference. Is the TM wayyyy better? Or should I go for something even bigger? I'm seriously looking now... once my aluminum bulkheads come in!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:56 PM
bdd012

well i got the OS .18 for my tmaxx about a week ago and i love it. it runs better than the trx2.5 and starts right up, not to mention quicker, how it compares to the 3.3 idk, i would recomend it to anyone, hope it helps.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:15 PM
beelzebubishere
My Feedback: (1)

Excellent choice digger! My 2 al time favorites are the OS 18TM, and the Picco .26 Max, DO NOT ask me to choose between them,cause if ya do, all I could do is give ya one of those "deer in the headlight looks..."[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 03-06-2006, 05:39 PM
cardgabe

So, is the OS .18TM way better than the OS .18CV-RX? Would the Picco .26 Max need a lot of modifications for my Pro .15 Maxx? Or would I just need the 2.5 conversion kit to make it a direct drop in? The two OS engines would be direct drop ins, correct? I think the only difference in mine and the 2.5 is that the 2.5 uses a slide carb, and my Pro .15 uses a rotary carb. Correct? I just need the bellcrank and linkage. Also, which of these three mentioned motors would be easiest to tune?

This weekend we were driving in the sand dunes by my house... the 3.3 accelerated up the dunes, my pro .15 bogged down on the way up. I wanna keep up!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 08:23 PM
bdd012

like i said i have no experience with any of the motors except the 2.5 and the OS .18, but as for tuning on the OS .18, i leaned it out about an 8th of a turn out of the box and so far its running great. granted im not making alot of adjustments because its not totally broke in, but tuning on the OS is very limited, factory is pretty much perfect. however it dosn't idel when your first start it, that needs to be adjusted but its so minimual you do it right from your controller with your throttle trim.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
cardgabe

Thanks for the info guys. I'm just having troubles choosing between the OS18CV-RX and the OS18TM. THe CVRX is cheaper and a direct drop in for my Pro .15 Tmaxx, but the OS18TM is more powerful I believe and would cost me more money, not to mention I'd have to buy the 2.5 conversion kit. If anyone knows the performance differences in the two OS's... I'd love to hear. The CVRX is 1.35hp and the TM is 1.6hp.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

I got another Q too. Dose anybody know if the TRX 2.5r has a metal/aluminum carb. body or plastic body.? I don't what to get a plastic because my 2.5 dose and the idle screw striped out.[:@] Thanks for any help---Rick[8D]
Old 03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Gullwing72

TRX 2.5r is plastic........I have three and have had no problems with them...GW
Old 03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
love those warbirds

ORIGINAL: Gullwing72

TRX 2.5r is plastic........I have three and have had no problems with them...GW
O Ok thanks. IDK why mine striped out. Maybe just bad luck. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Gullwing72

Yeah maybe bad luck but hey I still tune on mine so who knows one day mine may strip. Really mine is the OS .18 with a metal carb but I still have the other two (and don't plan to upgrade)for it to happen to......GW
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 PM
cardgabe

Would this be a direct drop in for my Pro .15 maxx? [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEMR9&P=7]sirio .18 tmaxx engine[/link] I'll probably end up starting with the OS18CVR-X (s) because it's cheap and will be my first replacement engine. I just am greedy for power!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Gullwing72

I am not that knowledgeable on the .15 Tmaxx. I have always had the 2.5's so I really can't answer that question. I do have a question myself though.. I just bought a used maxx 2.5 off ebay the truck was minus the engine but had my old one out of my truck to put in it. The engine has about half a gallon through it with the breakin and all. the clutch;clutch bell; and flywheel are all new. The truck has to rev way up to get going well more so than my other two at least. Once moving it runs good and shifts fine. I know that it has to be an adjustment somewhere but I don't know where. Any help would be great.........GW
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 PM
cardgabe

Anyone have any idea how the OS18CVRX would compare to a Traxxas 2.5 engine?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
love those warbirds

ORIGINAL: cardgabe

Anyone have any idea how the OS18CVRX would compare to a Traxxas 2.5 engine?
Well IDK much about it it would have more power then a TRX 2.5 because the TRX is a .15 and the OS is a .18 as for reliability and drop-in specs. some one else will have to help. GL[8D]
Old 03-08-2006, 07:56 PM
cardgabe

Does anyone know ALL what I would need to put the OS.18TM into my Pro .15 Tmaxx? I would need some sort of conversion to the slide carb, right? I've changed my mind soooo many times whether to get the TM or the CV-RX. CV-RX will cost me $109.95. TM will cost me $209.95 PLUS whatever things I need to convert for that motor to fit. Any help?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Gullwing72

There is a conversion kit to take a .15 to a 2.5 and then the OS would bolt on, at least that was what I was told at the LHS today. I would go to your Traxxas dealer they should know......GW....
Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 AM
cardgabe

Thanks Gullwing. That's what I thought too. The .15 to 2.5 conversion basically just changes my throttle linkage so i can use the slide carb, right? Or is there more to it than that? Does anyone that knows about these OS motors have yahoo messenger or anything so I could actually talk?!?? If so, my screen name is cardgabe. Just drop me a message. If not, I'll continue asking lots of questions here. LoL

I think I finally realized though, that paying $109 for the os18cv-rx would be a great deal, but I will regret it later when i want more power. I think I'm just going to drop the extra cash and get the os18tm. I think in the long run it will be worth it.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:33 AM
cardgabe

Ok... I did it. I ordered the OS.18TM. Here are the links to the two things I ordered. Will I need anything else? Will my stock pro .15 clutch bell fit on this new motor? Will my original ez start fit? (i hope so, i don't wanna spend anymore!)
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDAJ7&P=7]Pro .15 to 2.5 conversion[/link]
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHLW0&P=ML]O.S. .18TM[/link]

Am I all set?!?!!? I'm soooo nervous now! I don't know why... maybe cause I dropped $250 into this. It's my first engine replacement. I hope I'm happy!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
t-maxx8/4

i need help with my friends t-maxx 2.5 when he brakes hard it stalls what do we do?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Gullwing72

Tmaxx check to make sure the clutch is not stuck, easiest way is to start the truck with the wheels off the ground and let it idle if the wheels are moving and you can't stop them then the clutch is stuck.....
Cardgabe.... Have you upgraded to the wider A frames yet if not I would. I have the stock 2.5 chassis(which already has the longer A frames) but I installed the RMP stable maxx wheels and the Proline masher tires on it and I can corner twice as fast as my wife or daughter. Plus with the extra power you will find yourself doing alot more high speed turns and jumps..........GW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.