Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

C160 transall build

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:45 AM
RustyTumbles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C160 transall build

here's a pic of the new engines assembled and ready for running in!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:49 AM
RustyTumbles

still can't get pics to appear on the post, it said it upload OK. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:06 AM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

not sure what is wrong. I never upload pics, I always have mine uploaded already on my webpage. I would like to see them though if you can figure it out.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:37 PM
RustyTumbles

try again

[img][/img]
Old 04-21-2004, 08:43 PM
RustyTumbles

I give up!!! Still can't get it to work....................

Have you guys got any input for running in the engines? I asked alot of questions about it earlier, but i didn't get any replys!!!

I think I'll set up a bench tester to run them in, as I will not be able to get the kit to put them in few a month or so!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 07:18 AM
jmupilot

I used a combat floyyd 25 size airplane to break in my engines. They are OS 25 LA's just plain ol' bushing engines, and they are more than enough power for the Transall. I was telling Randy (rryman) last night that if we had a paved runway i think a pair of good BB 15's would fly this thing well. I believe in breaking in my engines in the air. Lots of cooling air flowing over them and an set the mixture rich so the slobber oil. I try to use a plane that does not need all the power that the engine can produce to fly. Like putting a 60 on a 40 size plane the engine can just run rich and not be hurt by trying to eek out every last ounce of thrust. Just my way of breaking in. I have some engines that are 20 years old and still have original bearings and run just fine.

The biggest thing you need to to is make sure that your engines are reliable. It dont matter how well you broke them in if they quit on ya in flight all the time. In a twin that s the wrong thing to happen. Dont try to tinker and tinker to try and match the rpms exactly either. Unless you have a sync systeminstalled you'll go nuts trying to do that. Just get them close. They are going to change in flight anyway due to fuel flow and g's and just about anything else you can think of. 500 rpm is close enough. If you can ge them that close. i think mine vary about 500 to 1200 on the ground just sitting. Thats difference between the engines you can hear them go in and out of sync. I am new too twins but have seen a few in my 30 years of modeling. and some jsut were not meant to be flown by the modeler that had them.

The C-160 is a great airplane. It flys better than some trainers. I think your gonna love the way it flys. I was flying mine this past weekend and got so involved in doing TO's and Landings i almost ran the tanks dry. So get yourself a timer and use it. The Transall flys so nice you'll forget your flying a twin. Well probably not because they do have a distinctive sound, but you'll soon see what i mean. heres a pic of the 2 at our field. Randy's and mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39884.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	125134  
Old 04-23-2004, 07:39 PM
RustyTumbles

cool thanks for the info. I can't wait to hear the two engines running together. Should turn a few heads at the field!!!! I have a timer on my transmitter, just have to remember to turn it on!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:00 AM
RustyTumbles

Is it possible to put retracts in this kit? I think it would look really cool doing a clean skin beat up!!!!!! I'm still saving for my kit, I've had a load of bills to pay lately so it's been pushed back until I have the funds together. Which is a real bummer because I'm really excited about flying a twin!!!

Also I've read on the c-130 forum that grass inside the fuse is a problem, is it a problem on the c-160 too? If so can you box the wheel wells in to stop the grass?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:58 PM
jmupilot

Grass in the fuse is a problem. Mine acts like it is a runway sweeper. I haven't even flown mine when the grass is really growing yet. rryman has told me that it really gets bad when the runway needs mowing every week. I guess you could put retracts in the C-160, but haven't seen any that would work yet. May have to design you own for the mains. It would take a little kit bashing to get retracts in, as the gear mounts are already glued in place when you get the kit. The wheels set so far up in the fuselage they really dont show that much, think that's why it scoops up so much grass. But it's great flying airplane, makes you forget your flying a twin. The sound of 2 engines constantly reminds you.

Pete
Old 05-03-2004, 05:40 PM
dnts
My Feedback: (1)

Here is my C160 story....
Saw it in the LHS almost a year ago. Having an OS 25 FX lying around didn't make it easier. So a month ago I bought it. Bought another slightly used 25FX off of Ebay and out it all together. I might say that my original 25 FX was well used with over 4 different models.
The CMPRO Transall kit is very nice looking (got the camo version). The paint chips off easily and by the time it was ready for the maiden flight, it already looked worn out. The hardware is ***** so should be replaced with 2-56 hardware. The nacelles are too small and it took me a whole evening to get the throttle pushrods to work without friction or binding. But finally, last week, it was ready. I put the engines on different channels in my 9C so I can mix in some inflight trim to get both engines dead on. I was able to sync them within 200 rpm from idle up to fully on... what an awesome sound.
Test flight was ok. CG was too far back (but was right on the plan so I guess they had it off in their design). Not only that but one engine quit (because the test pilot played with the inflight control and accidently shut one engine off). He was still able to land it on the runway like a pro (he is) despite having one engine and bad CG. We fixed the CG and I got to fly it. Nice bird. Third takeoff attempt was abandoned as the front gear stripped and was unfixable at the field. Moving to last friday. Got 2 flights on this baby when, during the downwind leg of the landing approach, I was hit by another plane. The outer third of the wing bent and got disconnected, sending the plane into it's final descent.... The other plane suffered a minor hit to the wing. My C160 was in a poor state. The entire front, got smashed but it kinda worked like an airbag, taking most of the hit. The wing remained attached to the body, which is a testimony of the mounting mechanism - the 3 bolts are enough. Engines and electronics are fine. We found the wind panel that go seperated. It looks almost new with no sign of a hit (almost). The aluminum joiner got badly bent and the wing profile that was glued to the center wing section got de-laminated. I think that this is the weakest part of the design, as a stronger joint might have saved the plane.
Anyway, I ordered another one, which says something about how much I did like this cutie....
Nir
Old 05-04-2004, 06:18 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Is there no way to rebuild?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:43 AM
RustyTumbles

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Maybe the new one will bring good luck!!! Has anyone else seen the video of the c160 on the other forum? If you haven't check it out!!! It's so cool! I didn't realize you could throw this plane around like that!! Not so scale like, but it looks impressive!!! Can't wait to get one!!!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
dnts

Well, picked up the new C-160 from the LHS... he only brought in two of those and I was the only one stupid enough to buy them .
I will take the engine mounts, nacelles and servo hatches from the crashed one to save some work.. This plane simply flies so nicely with nice rolls and loops that it is a true keeper (if you can keep it in one piece). Maybe this one deserves retracts???
Peace,
Nir
Old 05-06-2004, 04:46 AM
RustyTumbles

I would love to put retracts in mine when I get it! Not sure if it is possible!! But I think it would look brilliant doing fast clean skinned beat ups. How do the os25fx engines pull it around? What size props did you run on the crashed bird? In the video on the other forum it looks quite fast.
Old 05-06-2004, 05:43 AM
legoleif

Hia, try not clicking on the image button on top of your post. Click on the upload images! link on the bottom. Works for me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73573.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	129652  
Old 05-06-2004, 02:21 PM
dnts

Bigsport,
The dual 25FX are almost too much for this bird. It flies scale at 1/3 throttle and I only go above for rolls and loops (only manouvers I achieved before it went bye bye). It is proped with MA9x6 and I intend to put woodies on it next time round. Chromed alu spinners (a must for a shiny appearance) complement it nicely.
I think fitting retracts into this bird would be a pain but I will have a look-see before I do the main body. Maybe an idea will pop.
Nir
Old 05-07-2004, 03:36 AM
RustyTumbles

Dnts,
Sounds good! I will be running either 9x5 or 9x6 APC props, I thinks the 9x5's will probably work best as they won't cut as much air. I plan to have a good look and think about retracts, but I won't know if it is possible until I get the kit. Which I'm despiratley saving for!!! Have you got any pics of the new bird? What did you do to fix the nose gear problem? Is it worth doing before flying? What hardware did you replace?
Old 05-14-2004, 04:27 PM
dnts

The C-160 is back (actually, his brother...). Finished just in time for the weekend. This time, a few changes were in order. First off, got rid of the throttle pushrods in favor of steel cables - much easier and smoother. Second, made two separate pushrods for the elevator halves which connect near the servo output arm. Moved the elevator servo to the middle of the fuse (added mounts for that) so it's the same distance to both halves of the elevator. Moved the battery to the front plywood former, behind the front gear mount (to get better CoG). I also painted the front windows silver...
Today, I test flown it. Even better than the last time... Better CoG translated into nicer handling. Rolls are axial (a C160 rolling??) and loops are nice and crisp. Slow passes down the flightline at 1/3 throttle are awesome. Landing is also nice. Overall, a joy. Highly recommed it as a first twin - it is my fisrt (or better yet, second). Now I need to find time to build the GP profile P-38. A twin OS25FP is waiting for it.
Nir
Old 05-14-2004, 11:15 PM
jmupilot

Glad you had some fun with your C-160. I flew mine for a demo yesterday for some people Visitng our club. They were impressed with the twin. The C-160 flys so nice it makes one look like you really know what your're doing. I just installed a gyro out of my heli on the rudder. I was thinking it may help if i should have an engine out. It can react quicker than i can. Maybe it will save the plane. The C-160 flew the same as it did before I put in the gyro. Im going to try and post some vids of it in flight soon.

Pete
Old 05-15-2004, 05:51 AM
dnts

Hi Pete,
A gyro is a nice option but in favor of the C160, I can say that it does not need one. I had the test flight of the original C160 done by a friend of mine who is a master airman - he can fly the heck out of anything. I set up an engine trim with the side lever of my 9C with a range of 30% (too much - 5% is enough). He played with in and when checking the stall characteristics of the plane, accidently shut off one engine. He eased out the elevator and went out of the stall and landed nicely with just one engine. I think that the yaw torque of the engines in the C160 is small as the prop is near the center and forward enough to do more pulling than yawing.
Nir
Old 05-16-2004, 04:31 AM
RustyTumbles

Sounds like you guys are having alot of fun with the c160! Mine is not to far away, I'm still saving!!!
Lets keep this thread going in the mean time, the more info on this bird the better!!!!

I would love to see more video of the c160. From what I've seen it is very fast with two OS 25fx motors in it, yet very stable. Also from what I've read an engine out on this bird is a non event. More insight to this would be great!!!

Also i need a bit on info on throttle servo setup. Do you guys run two servo's on one channel or two servo's on two different channels? My radio will only allow one channel for throttle (channel 3 Mode 1). Is is possible to run two servos and a Y-lead accurately.

I plan to setup the throttle pushrods/wires as accurately/even as I can mechanically then use the radio adjustments to fine tune!!!
Old 05-18-2004, 04:41 PM
jmupilot

My throttles are hooked up by a Y connector on just the throttle channel. I have a futaba radio that would alowe me to use a seperate channel for one throttle servo but elected to do it the simple way and use one channel. I have mini servos both engine nacelles. I just took care in setting up the linkage to get them as close as possible by the eyeball method. It seems to do just fine. I put the gyro in the rudder just because I had a spare one lying around and wanted to see how it would react to engine out situations should they arise.
As for engines I have the OS .25 LA plain bushing engine in mine and its is way to fast at full throttle.I fly it at around 2/3 most of the time and its fast then. rryman who posts to the twin forum also has a C-160 and has OS.25 LA's on his and we both feel they are more than enough power for this model.

PETE
Old 05-18-2004, 10:15 PM
RustyTumbles

I have already got two OS25fx engines waiting for this bird! I guess I will be flying at 1/3 throttle with these engines and a 9x5 props. To much power can't hurt!!! Are your throttle pushrods solid wire or a cable setup?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:53 PM
BDREW

This is a great looking plane. A couple guys at my field complained about the wing folding in. Do you guys have any issues with the wings. Did you guys have to beef up the wings?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
StikWithIt!

Hi All,
It's been a while since I've browsed through the twin forum but I thought I'd best put in my bit regarding the C160.
I've had mine for 3 years now, power is two OS30FS's, fantastic motors themselves but together they are something else. I run each engine off a different channel and then have them mixed together, allowing me to use one of my pots to balance the RPM of the two engines. It allows for a little assymetric practice too when I feel a little adventurous! The C160 looks and flies its best at 1/3 throttle, takeoffs at 1/2 throttle. IMHO, 2xOS25FX's is far too much!
The wing has always seemed on the weak side but has stood up OK. I haven't and won't loop, roll or for that matter pull too hard with mine- like I said, 3 years now...
From new I removed the rear 2 inches (or there abouts!) of trailing edge and hinged it, so I had inboard flaps. Makes for some fun approaches with the ailerons up as spoilers! If I had my time again, I'd probably run a strip of fiberglass tape from tip to tip (or near to) to spread the load a bit better. Then again, if you fly it to look scale, it'll hold up. Do keep a close eye on it though, mine has delaminated around the engine pylons, need frequent checking and a squirt of glue on more than one occasion.
The cowls are fiddly and their fitting is unsatisfactory. I've epoxied wall anchors (small plastic ones) into the wing for the cowl screws to bite into, otherwise I found there's to much of a danger of a crack spreading through the wing sheeting.
Flying is easy, be careful in any sort of Xwind though it has a tendency to lift the into-wind wing and dip the opposite prop in the grass- whether it keeps running or not is in the lap of Mr O.S. Assymetrics are OK but go easy on the rudder and land with the other just ticking over. And don't expect to taxi it back in!
Normal landings are beautiful, with a touch of power it holds a nice nose high attitude and will even hold the nose gear off for the length of a touch and go- even on grass. Throttle it up gently though, she won't fly away on 1!
I'm looking at the moment at installing a piezo rate gyro on the rudder to stop a yaw occilation it develops in any kind of gusty condition, I'll let you all know how this goes. I know its cheating but it's a better use the the heli I've taken it out of!
To sum up a great model, the kit is weak in a couple of areas but just fly it like its scale and it'll be a big noisy trainer. Oh and I forgot to mention, it sounds like an empty esky rolling down stairs when it lands!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.