RCU Forums - View Single Post - C160 transall build
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2004, 07:18 AM
jmupilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C160 transall build

I used a combat floyyd 25 size airplane to break in my engines. They are OS 25 LA's just plain ol' bushing engines, and they are more than enough power for the Transall. I was telling Randy (rryman) last night that if we had a paved runway i think a pair of good BB 15's would fly this thing well. I believe in breaking in my engines in the air. Lots of cooling air flowing over them and an set the mixture rich so the slobber oil. I try to use a plane that does not need all the power that the engine can produce to fly. Like putting a 60 on a 40 size plane the engine can just run rich and not be hurt by trying to eek out every last ounce of thrust. Just my way of breaking in. I have some engines that are 20 years old and still have original bearings and run just fine.

The biggest thing you need to to is make sure that your engines are reliable. It dont matter how well you broke them in if they quit on ya in flight all the time. In a twin that s the wrong thing to happen. Dont try to tinker and tinker to try and match the rpms exactly either. Unless you have a sync systeminstalled you'll go nuts trying to do that. Just get them close. They are going to change in flight anyway due to fuel flow and g's and just about anything else you can think of. 500 rpm is close enough. If you can ge them that close. i think mine vary about 500 to 1200 on the ground just sitting. Thats difference between the engines you can hear them go in and out of sync. I am new too twins but have seen a few in my 30 years of modeling. and some jsut were not meant to be flown by the modeler that had them.

The C-160 is a great airplane. It flys better than some trainers. I think your gonna love the way it flys. I was flying mine this past weekend and got so involved in doing TO's and Landings i almost ran the tanks dry. So get yourself a timer and use it. The Transall flys so nice you'll forget your flying a twin. Well probably not because they do have a distinctive sound, but you'll soon see what i mean. heres a pic of the 2 at our field. Randy's and mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39884.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	125134