Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DeHavilland Mosquito

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 AM
stegl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has moved over to RCgroups and the link is a couple of postings above. Would you join us. Problem here, is picture posting not very good and site was always up and down.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 AM
spitty

In case some guys were not moving to the other board :

Here are some Pics from the rollout.

After building so long and with the ideas of so much Pilots here, it was a wonderful flight and I´m absolutly happy.

Weight is now ( dry ) 16,5 Pounds, but she flies pretty well, CG is on 112 mm as described here in the forum.

Many thanks to all again

Andy ( Spitty )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670004a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	1916882  
Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 AM
spitty

and here some more....

Andy

Name:	S2670005a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1916883   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670011a.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1916884   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670012a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1916885   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670015a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	1916886   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670016a.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	1916887   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670017a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	1916888   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670023a.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	1916889   Click image for larger version

Name:	S2670025a.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1916890  

Old 10-26-2013, 11:34 PM
spitty

Friends,

here is a little video of my 3. Flight, Elevator very sensitive, I'll give more expo.

But she flies like on rails, I' m very happy

Andy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfLoq...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM
stegl

Excellent flying and at 16 plus pounds.... that's great.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spitty..You have done a beautiful job on this.. Congratulations.. Video is Awesome.....

David
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 AM
havnfun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spitty-Great flight, and the craft looks wonderful. Congrats!
Havnfun
Jerry Sharp
Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 PM
spitty

David, Stegl,Havnfun,

thanks for the nice words, will keep You updated( how she reacts during slower maneauvers )

Andy
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
david polley

Hello Everyone...It has been very long time since I have posted anything here...Back in October of 2011, I had just completed my fourth CMP Mosquito that actually had the original fuselage from the second model that had survived the demise of the third model's crash back in 2010. I lost the model flying in the WW II recreation event during our annual GCRCC Flying Circus. I bought another kit and built and heavily modified and beefed up the new wing with bigger engines and very strong Fultz Dual Strut heavy duty fixed gear and 3 plywood hard blocks to support the 13 pound model.... A very good friend of mine was nice enough to videotape everything I flew that afternoon on a VHS Camcorder and then I transferred that raw footage to DVD......Until today, I never had the software or the computer to make a miniature move of the Mosquito until today... After spending 2 weeks of trial and error using Windows 8 "Movie Maker" I finally cut and spliced the 2011 video into this new MP4 that I loaded on YouTube today..... Here is the video and some photographs. D
David

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCqfrthqL6c

Name:	DSC05430.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	890.7 KB
ID:	1963776   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05440.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	1963777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05448.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1963779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leading edge shot.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1963780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosquito 2011.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1963781  

Last edited by david polley; 01-31-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:58 PM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And again to the top. I bought this plane in 2004. I have been moving it around with me for the last ten years and 2000 miles and I have never even started working on it. I am finally starting to get back in to RC planes, and I'm staring at the box in anticipation. Hopefully using the information from this thread it will be a good maiden. I plan on using Magnum .52s for power, and I am considering the Century retract package (even though it is more expensive then the kit). Will keep you all informed,
Andy
Old 06-14-2014, 07:44 PM
david polley

Good Luck Andy.... Anything I can help you with, just sent a message here... I have built 4 of them now....

David
Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 AM
havnfun

Andy-Welcome back to RC; best of success with your Mosquito. I, too, have one of these still new in box (since 2007) w/no real excuse except that I don't think that I have the knowlledge, patience, or modelling skill, to complete this craft satisfactorily,given that most folks believed that most of the components needed major reworkiing. I also got the Century Jet retract package; obviously it is still new in box. As you suggested; review this thread before you start. In my opinion, there is a ton of info available, most good, some questionable, in these 1735 posts authored by some experienced folks. Also be aware that most of the original contriburtors have moved to another website; where that is can be found in the last 50 or so posts
Havnfun
Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 PM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havnfun - Well, now you have an excuse. Your excuse will be that you don't want me to crash mine all by myself. David, it has taken me two days to read every post here. It was weird reading posts that I made 10 years ago, when I thought this would be easy and I would get right on it- be flying this weekend sorta thing. You made this thread with your constant encouragement to others and your lessons learned as a benefit to newbies (like me). Regardless if this goes sideways, I just want to thank you for always being there for others. You and Hot Rod Todd have made a chronicle of how and how not to do this kit. I look around today, after 10 years out of the hobby, and see the same old same old. Mustangs, Corsairs and Spits. Not that there is anything wrong with any of these, but I sure wish some of the big names would take notice that Joe 6 pack is tired of this. Where did the P-61 Black Widow go - what happened to ASM models Mossie? Is anyone listening? Apparently not. Hangar 9 finally came out with an Axis bird. Gee that didn't take very long now did it? Sorry to vent to you all - just tired of the same re fried **** that got me disgusted with this in the first place. Will keep you all informed - I have to finish the rebuild on my Miss America Saito 100 first, then the Mossie will come out of the storage unit. For the record, I just built (assembled) a Seagull Models Pilatus Porter. I figure I will need it to get back in to the swing of things, so to speak.
Good flying to all,
Andy in Phoenix

Last edited by cat5752; 06-15-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:01 PM
david polley

Andy... Thank you for your kind words....

Yes this model is a pain in the butt, however if you overcome all of it, especially beefing up the undercarriage...making sure you have 2 really well broken in engines, make sure that the CG is at or very near 110 to 111 mm between the nacelles and the fuselage measured to the flat spots on the leading edges of the wings, you are really going to enjoy this one.....!
Balance the model right side up with the gear up in the wing, Use digital servos in the rudder, flaps, and elevator. Throw out the gas tanks that came with it and cut out that area for larger tanks for your engines. Sullivan 10 oz. round tanks work really well..... Throw out the hardware package. The screws and bolts are not strong....and they do strip easily....... I used 45 minute epoxy to glue on the wings....You need a lot of epoxy and the more you mix the quicker it sets. 30 minute epoxy turns into 15 minute epoxy when you mix up 2 ounces to glue each wing panel with... 1 Hr. epoxy would be better if you can find it....Mount the engines, gas tanks and throttle servos first before you glue the wings. It will make it a lot easier to work with..... 11 inch props at a minimum are imperative to get some prop wash on the rudder. 12 inch would be scale to this model but I am not 100 % sure they will not hit the fuselage...This forum should have something on that.... I used epoxy and glued the area where all of the wood comes in contact with he fiberglass on the main wing.. It made it a lot stronger. Last and most importantly....Make up some leading edges from leading edge balsa stock and fabricate and glue them on those flat spots on the wing....Remember, the CG is 110 to 111 mm from those flat spots on a CG machine.. If you balance the model after you glue on the leading edges...do not forget to add the leading edges in you calculations... If the leading edges are 5mm then the CG would be 115 to 116 mm from the new leading edges. These leading edges will really help with the landings and keep the model in the air just a little bit longer as you make your landing approach and help reduce the ground effect... Your landings will be a lot smoother. You will need flaps to land the model... I would not recommend ever taking the model off with flaps.. It will snap over pretty easily.

Good luck my friend....

This model is worth all of the trouble if you get it right the first time...This is a real crowd pleaser and very unique... It has presence in the air and does fly really well. It is really fun to fly. I still have mine and been flying it since the maiden flight in the video from October 2011 from a few posts back... I enjoy it very much. Need anything let me know....David

Name:	New Mosquito Photos_ Oct 2011 029.jpg
Views:	866
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2006059   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Mosquito Photos_ Oct 2011 026.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2006060   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Mosquito Photos_ Oct 2011 027.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2006061  

Last edited by david polley; 06-17-2014 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:38 AM
stegl

Well,
the real DH mossie is ready to fly at this weekends Abbotsford Airshow and I plan to be at it. it was finally finished and test flown in June and received its C of A for flight also. Google DH Mosquito. Victoria air services. As they did the rebuild for the owner from Vancouver , BC , Canada. It is one of only two flyable in the world.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM
david polley

Stegl,

Congratulations my friend Hope it all goes well.... I flew in our GCRCC Flying Circus over the weekend with my 13 pound Mosquito....Here is the small video clip flying my model during the Air Show.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqahjnZXCE8
Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 AM
stegl

Yes had a great time at the airshow and as far as I am concerned the Mossie stole it all the way.

Name:	Flying mosquito.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	3.80 MB
ID:	2022120  
Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 PM
codyhenning
My Feedback: (6)

Well, i just got one with a little hangar rash on it and a few holes in the covering. I am going to put two Saito FG-14 gas engines on it.

First of all, i am dying to know a few things about this model.

Seems like there is some flex between the outer wing sections and the inner section where they are supposed to be joined by an aluminum bar? Is that normal?

Second, I assume you have to cut out the servo tray in the engine sections to access fuel tank?

Third, where are you guys getting these awesome looking spinners for the mosquito? I am looking to run 3 blade props.

Thanks for any help, i am very experienced at building and flying but a few tips will save me a ton of time.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:29 PM
stegl

Originally Posted by codyhenning
Well, i just got one with a little hangar rash on it and a few holes in the covering. I am going to put two Saito FG-14 gas engines on it.

First of all, i am dying to know a few things about this model.

Seems like there is some flex between the outer wing sections and the inner section where they are supposed to be joined by an aluminum bar? Is that normal?

Second, I assume you have to cut out the servo tray in the engine sections to access fuel tank?

Third, where are you guys getting these awesome looking spinners for the mosquito? I am looking to run 3 blade props.

Thanks for any help, i am very experienced at building and flying but a few tips will save me a ton of time.
Assume you have the CMP model ? I use the P51 spinners from Tru turn and have them cut for 3 blades. When you refer to the wing tube spar I used one a little oversize by a few thou or glue them. Highly recommend electric motors for power as total destruction if a fueled motor stops or sags in power.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:56 AM
stegl

Been a while since posting as most have been done in another forum. Fixed the flex in the wing tube issue and have worked out the bolt on wings issue so it looks very workable. Pulled out my original instal of Eflite retracts as I found a pair of electrics from Hobby King that have a much stronger frame and operating mechanism rated at 15 lbs but in relation to Eflite I would have to say they should handle 17 or 18 lbs. retract speed is about the same and a very good lockup with no slop. Pictures posted on rcgroups CMP DH mosquito conversion.

Last edited by stegl; 10-24-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
david polley

Dear codyhenning....,

Don't know why there is any flex in the wing...It should be pretty stiff.... Yes the wings are supposed to be glued to an aluminum wing joiner on each side....Sounds to me like the wing has suffered some internal damage of may have not been glued properly to begin with.... The fuel tanks are right behind the firewall of each engine..... The tanks that came with the model are not even 8 ounces..... I am sure that larger tanks were installed at one time which I would think that some of the original plywood has already been cut away.................If not the tanks just fit in the guides that were originally there.... You would of course have to cut away any gas tank supporting plywood to put in larger tanks....

I used Dave Brown spinners on my model and it will save you 45% on the price Tru Turn charges. I used the P-51 style also and it is 3 1/2 inches..... Dave only charges $5.00 to make a pair of spinners from 2 blade to 3 blade....... They are very nice and well balanced.... Make sure the CG is 110 to 111 mm from the leading edge balanced between the nacelles and the fuselage balanced in the upright position on a CG machine with gear retracted into the wing if you have retracts..... The instructions stated between 115 and 120 mm... The manual is incorrect.... Since the tail momentum is long on this Warbird, just a small change in the tail section will make a big difference in the CG on this model.... This is critical for flying success.....
Last I highly recommend you glue balsa "leading edges"
to those "flat spots" on the wing between the fuselage and nacelles....You would not believe how much easier the model is to land if you glue those into place. I have had 4 of these models and this really helped the model land so much better that the other 3 I had before that......all because of $2.00 worth of balsawood.... Amazing.. I have added photos here...Good luck......David

Name:	Leading edge shot.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2041997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05448.jpg
Views:	761
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2041998  

Last edited by david polley; 10-24-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 PM
stegl

what may have happened with the loose wing is that not enough epoxy was used to glue the wing tubes in place... If I had glued mine , I would have made a tube plug on each end of the tubes so that when they were epoxied ( pushed) into the plastic tube ( another not a great idea by CMP) so that the epoxy would have ended up on the outside of the tube as in this case may have ended up inside the tube and with some flex ; then broke loose. I also did the inner leading edge airfoil change with balsa; as I agree with David. You at least get some effective lift that way instead of drag from the center section. It all helps.

Cody : what did it have for power when you got it ?
Old 10-26-2014, 06:19 PM
codyhenning

Nice looking mosquito, mine had been cut for os fs 52's, many moons ago with the original owner.

However I don't think that would have hauled it around very well and besides he was an old senile guy and parted the thing out so all I got was the airframe in slightly beat up condition.

Still going to try for the two saito fg-14's when I get around to doing some work on it, have two 50cc planes to finish first before I get to the skeeter.

What I did with the wing was sand down the matching edges and use fiberglass tape and epoxy to really solidify the connection, so I have little to no flex now. Hoping that will do, either way I will also probably reinforce it more because the last thing I want is a folding wing mid flight.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:50 AM
david polley

Cody... Glad you repaired the wing... As much of a pain this model can be as it has been for a lot of folks. I still love how it flies... Getting it off the ground has always been the hard part, as landing has come to be a close second........ Here is a video of my third model that I shot in slow motion a few years back.... The wife could not get any good footage in real time due to the fact she was literally getting eaten by mosquitoes in the grass that afternoon, so I slowed everything down and used what I could...... Came up with a great soundtrack for the video...Had about a 20 mph wind right down the runway and brought it in hot and it still dropped off at the last second because I still had those flat spots on the wings......Your thoughts about the video would be appreciated....
Here is the link..... Hope you like it......David.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j-pCLKLqAc
Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 PM
codyhenning

Awesome, I love the video. Can't wait to get this thing rolling, going to run the crap out of those saitos on my test stand first though. I already hacked through some of the fuel tank area to rebuild.

What engines are you running again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.