Community
Search
Notices
1/16th, 1/18th, Mini & Micro RC Cars Discuss 1/16, 1/18, Minis, Micros & any RC Cars smaller than 1/10th scale in this forum

My first MERV...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 04:51 PM
WhatWhat44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first MERV...

Hi people,I'll get my brushed MERV tomorrow, my first proper RC (and I'm a grown up!).Do you have any tips on how to start?Presumably I should charge the battery - How do you 'break them? Do you need to charge and discharge the a certain way initially? I got two stock Traaxxas batteries. Also,I read that some people have burned their engine? How to avoid that?What else should I do before bashing it for the first time?Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 AM
smithjeeps

Default RE: My first MERV...

the stock nimh traxxas batteries are good i run them when im not running my lipos, i wouldnt worry about burning up you engine me and my buddies beat on our mervs and they can take a good amount of abuse. i wouldnt buy any upgrade parts till you break the stock part. i went for two months beatin on it pretty hard till i finally broke a front a-arm and upgraded to the rpm arms ( that was hitting a jump while running two packs in series at about 45 mph) trust me your gonna love it, at least we love ours. have fun..

jon
Old 10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
RobbieP
Banned

Most people "break" an RC, any of them, by simple abuse. Treat it well, and maintain it from time to time, and it'll treat you well.
Motors usually burn up because the user over-gears them, or runs them too long, or just overuses them (back-to-back-to-back-to-back battery packs.
The Mini-Revo is pretty tough, I wouldn't get carried away with any upgrades or changes until you get a chance to run it and feel the need.

My advice would be to read the numerous Mini-Revo discussions that already exist here, and if you have any specific questions to ask any questions there. No need to start another mini-revo thread just because you bought one.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:58 PM
WhatWhat44

Thanks!

I now had a chance to drive it forthefirsttimeand it was indeed fun!

I do have a few basic driving questions:

1. I have the brushed version and with one battery top speed didn't feel especially fast? I ran it on pavement and sort, moist grass (it did gloriously) but felt a little bit slow - is there anything I can do about it (otherthan get thebrush-lessversion...)

2. How do you slide at corners? If you go into a turn at full speed and than leavethethrottle then it breaks -otherwisethe 4WD is too grippy, oramI missing something?

3. Also onthesubject, how do I do wheelies? I tried going down hill ontarmacat full speed but the front won't lift up...

thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 02:39 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Welcome new Merv owner!

1) With the brushed version your top speed won't be that fast unfortunately. You can try running two batteries in series or change your pinion, just watch your motor/esc temps then.

2) 4wd aren't meant to really slide in corners, they basically track around the corner even in dirt. They won't do any power slides like a 2wd. They are much easier to drive in my opinion.

3) You probably aren't going to be able to do wheelies until you go brushless and lipo. I have a VXL Merv and even with two stock nimhs in series it wouldn't do any wheelies until Istarted running lipos.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 PM
WhatWhat44

Thanks!

A few questions:

Could apinionchange make the top speed higher and traction looser? If sowhichoneshouldI gofor? And how? ;-)

Also, about running two batteries in series, themanualexplicitly saysthatonthebrushed revo the ESC can't handle the voltage - is it just a question of cooling? If so can I install a small screen metal mash (insteadofthe'front window') andimprovethe cooling? It's usually bellow 10C here in winter (and much lower...)

Lastly,
Does the nini-revo a complete scalereplicaof the E-revo?Otherthan engines etc? How close are they.

Thanks again!

ORIGINAL: gforce2448
1) With the brushed version your top speed won't be that fast unfortunately. You can try running two batteries in series or change your pinion, just watch your motor/esc temps then.

2) 4wd aren't meant to really slide in corners, they basically track around the corner even in dirt. They won't do any power slides like a 2wd. They are much easier to drive in my opinion.

3) You probably aren't going to be able to do wheelies until you go brushless and lipo. I have a VXL Merv and even with two stock nimhs in series it wouldn't do any wheelies until Istarted running lipos.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

You could try changing pinion gears to increase speed a little. Did your Merv come with the extra speed pinion? I wouldn't recommend running batteries in series if it isn't recommended, I was wondering that about the brushed motors. It's not just the cooling but the voltage/current which the motor/ESC probably can't handle, you would probably end up burning one or both of them up. Other than changing the pinion Idon't know what else to tell you...could always upgrade to a VXL system later if you needed the speed....other than the motor system the brushed and brushlessMervs are the same.

I think it's a close replica. The body, tires, wing, shocks are all pretty close. Like you said, just the motor is different.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
WhatWhat44

Great,
Thanks!